• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Reserves All of Its Initial Nintendo Switch Allocation

jbug617

Banned
GRAPEVINE, Texas, Jan. 15, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- GameStop, a family of specialty retail brands that makes the most popular technologies affordable and simple, has reserved all of its first allotment of Nintendo Switch systems.

On Friday, the retailer began taking reservations for the Nintendo Switch online and in its more than 3,900 stores nationwide.

“The fact that this initial allotment has been completely reserved in a matter of a few days demonstrates gamers desire for this fun and revolutionary gaming system,” said Bob Puzon, senior vice president of merchandising at GameStop. “We’re working closely with Nintendo to get additional Nintendo Switch units, and will let our customers know when they become available. We encourage customers to visit www.gamestop.com/switch and sign up to be get updates about the product and availability.”
http://investor.gamestop.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=130125&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2237454
Credit to Zhuge

Zhuge in context tweets

For those who want a reference.
GameStop had 500,000 total Wii U units at launch, all pre ordered.
1.2 million games were preordered too
https://twitter.com/zhugeex/status/820743325598752768
The initial pre order allocation for Wii U also sold out very quickly at GameStop. With 250,000 left on a waiting list for the second batch.
https://twitter.com/zhugeex/status/820743683402240001

LordKano

[DOA]

[Means nothing, the Wii U was also out of stock]

[They undershipped everything]

[It's the new Wii]

[lol joke lmao]

/thread

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I think at this point we can assume that the full launch allotments of the Switch have sold out pretty much across the board. I heard that in Ireland(?) maybe it's not selling too well, so people can always import from there if they need one at launch...

Wedzi

Banned
Weird. I was just at my Gamestop today and the manager was telling me how some Gamestops haven't sold all of their units yet so he was expecting more to get allocated around different stores with more preorders. He wasn't even trying to sell me on one or anything just shooting the shit.

“The fact that this initial allotment has been completely reserved in a matter of a few days demonstrates gamers desire to scalp this fun and revolutionary gaming system.”

Fixed.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I think at this point we can assume that the full launch allotments of the Switch have sold out pretty much across the board. I heard that in Ireland(?) maybe it's not selling too well, so people can always import from there if they need one at launch...
Ireland is the new New Zealand.

And I'm sure we're all shocked that a new console from Nintendo is sold out at launch. Surely this means it will be the best selling evar.

DSN2K

they will never struggle to sell a few million units to the fan base, even WiiU did that...concern is what happens after that.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Did anyone think this wasn't going to happen? There are more than enough diehard fans to sell the launch allocation out. The trick is whether the system will sell to an audience beyond that. The Wii U didn't, that was the problem. Remember the Wii U "essentially sold out at retail" at launch, too.

kami_sama

Same in Spain, I do not know of any retailers that have exhausted their allotment.

Zedark

A reference point from Zhuge:

Zhugeex said:
For those who want a reference.

GameStop had 500,000 total Wii U units at launch, all pre ordered.

1.2 million games were preordered too
Zhugeex said:
The initial pre order allocation for Wii U also sold out very quickly at GameStop. With 250,000 left on a waiting list for the second batch.
Good news at least, though it does not tell us much yet.

DeadOrAliveDimensions.jpg

ianpm31

Nothing new it's the initial rush with all new consoles. It's meaningless without numbers. After the first 3-4 months is where we will get an indication on where the switch is going...

Speely

Banned
A healthy start, but that's to be expected. Probably a great 2017 as well. It's 2018 and beyond that will be telling.

Hopefully they can get all the pre orders fulfilled.
I know it's not too indicative, but hopefully they can sell out for a few weeks.
Though I'm sure people will be like "manufactured scarcity" if it sells out or "bomba" if it doesn't :p

My local gamestop had like 30-40 units , if not more, allocated to it. When the 360 came out I think they had 50 at launch. So not too bad all things considered. Probably helps they had the breahtaking Wii U trading deal. My friend and I who weren't even going to get one at launch both ended up getting and paying it off with nothing but trade ins.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Impressively fast, but I wonder how many Gamestop was alloted?
nah its a failure. no one wants it at that price. must be a mistake.

I still stand by the price not being the largest issue. Moreso accessory costs and launch-period lineup. I don't doubt that the Switch could sell through its initial shipment, but worry how it fares afterwards.

Top Bottom