• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach & Bungie at GamesCom 2010

Blueblur1

This is going to seem random but I was thinking about it earlier today: It would be sweet if the VISR mode came back as an AA with some useful enhancements. I loved using it in ODST and nighttime FF maps are gonna feel weird without it.

DancingJesus said:
I'm not asking for much, just steady aim and not looking at the ground for over 10 seconds. Playing video games is a necessary requirement to accurately report on them.
We ain't all pro like you.

Blueblur1 said:
This is going to seem random but I was thinking about it earlier today: It would be sweet if the VISR mode came back as an AA with some useful enhancements. I loved using it in ODST and nighttime FF maps are gonna feel weird without it.
Torch has to be the default AA for EazyB for sure.

Edit: Lack of sleep, sorry for the dp.

Hydranockz said:
We ain't all pro like you.

I'm not complaining that he isn't using the DMR or anything like that. The AR is just fine. I just don't understand how you review FPS games on a daily basis and not understand movement and aiming. It's like a movie critic who has absolutely no knowledge of film history.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-10-halo-reach/703018

Just watch his spray and pray in this video. Really not asking for much.

Blueblur1 said:

Night vision already is in the game (see campaign screenshots).

So at least we have that.

Striker

snoopeasystreet said:
Their job isn't being headshot masters....
Eh, I can see where Dancing is coming from. The guy is just mindlessly shooting an automatic weapon.

Would have been cool to see him pick up the Concussion Rifle and allow us to see it in action, but nonetheless.

Pappasman

DancingJesus said:
I'm not complaining that he isn't using the DMR or anything like that. The AR is just fine. I just don't understand how you review FPS games on a daily basis and not understand movement and aiming. It's like a movie critic who has absolutely no knowledge of film history.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-10-halo-reach/703018

Just watch his spray and pray in this video. Really not asking for much.

The 1up gameplay video has some pretty bad long range shotgunning.

Blueblur1

metareferential said:
Night vision already is in the game (see campaign screenshots).

So at least we have that.
Nightvision is a poor man's VISR mode. And of course, I've seen nightvision. I'm not some random GAF'er. Jesus Christ.

DancingJesus said:

Ah yeah, I agree that watching someone who can play the better is more enjoyable but the sad thing is that I'm sure the majority of people who'll play Reach, play like that guy rather than us here on NeoGAF. And in regards to people reviewing/talking about things outside of their depths, this was one of the most interesting opinions I've heard about videogames in a long time.

snoopeasystreet said:
Ah yeah, I agree that watching someone who can play the better is more enjoyable but the sad thing is that I'm sure the majority of people who'll play Reach, play like that guy rather than us here on NeoGAF. And in regards to people reviewing/talking about things outside of their depths, this was one of the most interesting opinions I've heard about videogames in a long time.

Yeah, I've seen that, it's a wonderful podcast. It's fascinating to see such a unique perspective on video games, he even notices details that we largely take for granted.

The difference is, he doesn't post on a site like GameTrailers. If the site was geared to players who have never played a first person shooter before - that would be something else entirely. I'd even enjoy watching them play or struggle to win, because I remember that feeling as a kid. But, if GameTrailers wants to claim they are any authority on games, it's kind of a problem.

Blueblur1 said:
I'm not some random GAF'er. Jesus Christ.

I didn't mean to correct you or anything.

I liked your idea. That's why I said "at least we have night vision", hoping for something better.

Feel free to add me to your ignore list, if that helps your self-esteem.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
Gamestop ad featuring new level?

The HBO folks it's either Boardwalk or Countdown and not a Firefight map. Thoughts?
I think it's MP as well, since there are only Spartans and (lots of) Elites. Boardwalk would fit the setting well. Looks neat. The human themed MP maps have a very different aesthetic than the dirty, rusty look they had in Halo 3, which is refreshing.

feel

20axopk.jpg

Loving this dramatic death animation that
seems to go on longer than usual before
letting the ragdoll physics kicks in.

~Kinggi~ said:
That vidoc didnt really do much for me. Nice to see the characters but looked a little 'meh' as far as the hype is concerned.

I agree. I'm hyped for the game but the trailer did little for me. I think the Spartans are losing their punch a little bit. Everything from the voice acting to the dialogue make these Spartans look like average soldiers with beefed up armor.

The map selection in the game looks fantastic though. Multiplayer should be a treat.

Doodis

GhaleonEB said:
I think it's MP as well, since there are only Spartans and (lots of) Elites. Boardwalk would fit the setting well. Looks neat. The human themed MP maps have a very different aesthetic than the dirty, rusty look they had in Halo 3, which is refreshing.
I noticed "New Alexandria" on the wall. Isn't that the city you have to help people evacuate from in Halo Wars (for those who played it)? Seems like they both have the same look and feel.

EDIT: Nope, I'm 100% wrong.

DancingJesus said:
Yeah, I've seen that, it's a wonderful podcast. It's fascinating to see such a unique perspective on video games, he even notices details that we largely take for granted.

The difference is, he doesn't post on a site like GameTrailers. If the site was geared to players who have never played a first person shooter before - that would be something else entirely. I'd even enjoy watching them play or struggle to win, because I remember that feeling as a kid. But, if GameTrailers wants to claim they are any authority on games, it's kind of a problem.

Yeah, you're right in that GameTrailers should be appealing to their audience and it would be far more advantageous to them if they recorded of videos of a dude who could stick guy from across the map. Although, I don't think the press should be judged on how well they shoot a dude in a videogame but how well they can convey information to the public.

Anyways, a Halo thread isn't the place for us to be discussing videogame press, there's enough places out there to about that. You're right though, that footage was poor. I was just being snarky.

WOO! 27 days until Reach!!!! :D

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Doodis said:
I noticed "New Alexandria" on the wall. Isn't that the city you have to help people evacuate from in Halo Wars (for those who played it)? Seems like they both have the same look and feel.

New Alexandria is also featured in the Vidoc with Noble Six jetpacking around, it also seems to be the backdrop of the Falcon turret / aerial battle sequence in the Vidoc and further the backdrop for another Firefight map previously shown.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Doodis said:

EDIT: Nope, I'm 100% wrong.
Yeah, that was Pirth.

Loxley

Took me a second, but I got a bit of nerd-excitement when I realized that was Dr. Halsey at the end of the vidoc, actually looks just like pictured her when I read The Fall of Reach way back.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I was just thinking, with that whole conversation with Halsey she keeps referring to "our last hope." So I'm thinking either she's talking to Cortana, or Auntie Dot. If it's Cortana Noble 6 might be tasked with taking it to the POA, if it's Auntie Dot she might have all the important data on Reach that needs to be protected.

OR there's one other thing I've been thinking.

What if Auntie Dot is just a code name for Cortana? I thought that would be wrong since there's an AI voice for Auntie dot for Firefight, so what if Auntie Dot is a supplemental AI to Cortana? One that enhances her and makes her completely who we deal with in Halo 1-3?

Just spitballin.

Alienshogun said:
I was just thinking, with that whole conversation with Halsey she keeps referring to "our last hope." So I'm thinking either she's talking to Cortana, or Auntie Dot. If it's Cortana Noble 6 might be tasked with taking it to the POA, if it's Auntie Dot she might have all the important data on Reach that needs to be protected.

OR there's one other thing I've been thinking.

What if Auntie Dot is just a code name for Cortana? I thought that would be wrong since there's an AI voice for Auntie dot for Firefight, so what if Auntie Dot is a supplimental AI to Cortana? One that enhances her and makes her completely who we deal with in Halo 1-3?

Just spitballin.
Cortana goes up to the POA with the Master Chief before the Covenant arrive in FOR, so that's unlikely. Though the books don't preclude anything from happening, we've seen some retconning already I guess.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
FilthyLies said:
Cortana goes up to the POA with the Master Chief before the Covenant arrive in FOR, so that's unlikely. Though the books don't preclude anything from happening, we've seen some retconning already I guess.

Yeah, part of the reasons behind my multiple "theories."

Most likely Auntie Dot just has the last of the info on Reach that needs to be saved, but again, why would Halsey make that comment "great minds think alike." That's what leads me down the "code name" or "supplemental AI" route.

Arnie

Dani said:
Gamestop ad featuring new level?

The HBO folks it's either Boardwalk or Countdown and not a Firefight map. Thoughts?
Thanks for this Dani, definitely looks like a new MP space considering the ammount of player controlled Elites. If it were Versus Firefight the maximum number of Elites would be 3, and considering the absence of all other covenant forms it seems nailed on to be a multiplayer map.

I think the human aesthetic looks really nice but we won't be able to draw a mental picture of how the map plays until its eventual blowout at Pax. I'm just eager to see the best map in the game™.

Lunchbox said:
what happened to the hot asian esque chick from halo wars?

she in this?
You wanna wack off to video game characters you're gonna have to go somewhere else, sorry.

Unless you really like grunts.

Blueblur1

metareferential said:
I didn't mean to correct you or anything.

I liked your idea. That's why I said "at least we have night vision", hoping for something better.

Feel free to add me to your ignore list, if that helps your self-esteem.
Yeah, my bad. I had a bad day due to a nasty cold I caught and I'm too tired to put together my new PC so I was defensive when I shouldn't have been. Sorry, you didn't deserve it.

Blueblur1 said:
Yeah, my bad. I had a bad day due to a nasty cold I caught and I'm too tired to put together my new PC so I was defensive when I should haven't been. Sorry, you didn't deserve it.

Nevermind; things happen. Glad you apologized, no offense taken.

This definitely proves you aren't some random gaf'er. ;)

DancingJesus said:
I always miss those Halo Waypoint helmet code tweets. :(

Anywho, Stiq of Joy posted a video of how Waypoint will work on Windows 7 phones.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/17/video-halo-waypoint-on-windows-phone-7/
Don't feel bad, I've been up coincidentally when teh last 6 tweets for Noble 6 Helmets went out, and I missed them all.

Since they are released at set times, there's always some people F5's the Waypoint Twitter page with the "xbox.com Redeem Code" page open at the same time...

They are all usually snatched up within 30 seconds of being posted.

:[

Top Bottom