• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theory: Skyrim for Switch will have HD rumble and maybe motion controls

I've floated this around a few placed but I finally have some time to present this is a nice OP. So:

We all know Skyrim has been announced for Switch, and is coming in Fall 2017. I was a bit confused why it would take so long to port Skyrim SE to Switch, especially considering this had been confirmed as far back as October, but then I remembered a quote from Todd Howard:

What do you think of the Switch, Nintendo's newly announced console that is portable but also hooks up to your TV?
I love it. I got to play it. I will tell you – well, maybe that's an N.D.A. thing. One of the best demos I've ever seen. Probably the best demo I've ever seen. At E3.

The mention of an N.D.A. seemed pretty suspect here, so when the next question was posed:

Was it a Nintendo game?
I mean the device itself. I think it's really smart what they're doing. We're definitely going to be supporting it. It's the first time we've done something on Nintendo. If you don't count the old NES stuff. Home Alone. Or Where's Waldo?

That seemed like he was walking something back. When you compare the way he described this demo: "I love it. I got to play it. I will tell you – well, maybe that's an N.D.A. thing. One of the best demos I've ever seen. Probably the best demo I've ever seen." to the way people have described the HD rumble demo from 1, 2, Switch:

The demo that blew my mind was the marble box.

Imagine you are holding a small wooden box, with x amount of marbles inside. As you move the box, you can feel them move and clack against each other.

The Joy-con can emulate this feeling incredibly well, I was able clearly feel three separate marbles rolling down the side of the Joy-con and then each hitting each other as they got to the bottom.

The 1-2-Switch marble box mini game asks you to guess how many marbles are in your joycon by moving it. Pretty much every time I could guess, even when there were 6-7 in there.

That was special, it even gave a false sense of weight due to the rumbles. I really like the tech.

The ice cube thing is legit.

It sure paints a picture that Todd Howard was talking about the HD rumble when he said "best demo I've ever seen". I can't really imagine what else about the Switch could be considered the best someone's ever seen, especially when the HD rumble was called mind-blowing.

EDIT2: It seems that Nintendo confirmed he was showed the 1, 2, Switch HD rumble demo earlier this year, which heavily suggests this is indeed what he was talking about- https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170203.pdf -answer 3 here talks about them showing 1, 2, Switch to developers like Todd Howard who were impressed:

Google Translate said:
Since last year we introduced Nintendo Switch to various development companies using software such as "1-2-Switch", but at that time, many people are interested in new ways of playing Todd Howard of Bethesda Game Studio, who was developed "Skyrim", already showed favorable reactions according to the video message streamed in the Nintendo Switch presentation

This leads me to believe that Skyrim is not releasing until fall on the Switch because Bethesda will be implementing HD rumble support into this game.

And if you think about it, Skyrim is probably the perfect showcase for how this HD rumble tech can be implemented in a more "core" focused title. Think about it- combat in Skryim consists of readying abilities or items in each of your two hands. These abilities and items all have distinct forms and feels in the game world, so replicating those tactile sensations with the HD rumble would add an incredible amount of immersion to this game.

GOTY-Skyrim-2.jpg

For example-

• Shock spell: HD rumble tingles your hands as if you are experiencing mild static shocks
  • Frost spell: HD rumble simulates "cracking" of ice
  • Fire spell: HD rumble simulates crackling flames, like at a camp fire
  • Weapons: swords, axes, maces all have different feelings when being swung/hitting an object
  • Shields: metal and wood will have different feelings when blocking an attack

etc.

All of these sensations will enhance the player's immersion in the game world, even if attacking still consists of just pressing a trigger button. If Bethesda has been working on Skyrim for VR (and since they love milking Skyrim, this wouldn't surprise me at all) then I also might expect optional motion control with the joycons. However, that's a fairly big if.

HD rumble though seems very likely from my perspective. This would explain the delay to Fall, and would also explain why Skyrim for Switch does not yet have a subtitle. Instead of Special Edition, it would likely have a different subtitle to showcase the fact that it has this HD rumble.

Anyway, that's my theory. Please discuss or ignore at your leisure.

EDIT: I should note that HD rumble and motion controls are completely separate mechanics. The pro controller includes HD rumble in fact. Playing this game with the normal control scheme, just hitting the triggers to attack/defend would still benefit greatly from the immersion presented by HD rumble.

Hmm I never thought of that lol. I'm very surprised Bethesda really liked the system, but with their enthusiasm I could see HD Rumble implementation for sure.

Formless

Yup, that's what I thought when I saw HD rumble.

Also insert comment about lightsaber game we'll never, ever get

Jakoo

This is a good thought/analysis. If true, it would actually get me a bit more hyped for this release.

ReaperXL7

Maybe, but I think expecting more then a bare minimum port from Bethesda is setting yourself up for disappointment.

I would love this, but I expect the bare minimum effort from 3rd party devs. Not getting my hopes up again with this console lol

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
HD Rumble, despite my initial jokes about it, seems pretty cool. I'll have to see how well it actually works when I finally get a hands on but its a pretty cool concept.

Mihos

Gold Member
Sounds OK, but I already platinumed this game on 3 systems, I just can't see HD rumbling up that mountain to put the item in a chest again.

I am also pretty much using a pro controller or tablet mode exclusively. I can't stand motion controls.

Might borrow a copy from someone to check it out briefly if true.

I think there's something to this analysis,but I also think this sort of feature would have been front-and-center at the reveal presentation if it was being implemented. It's an example of everything Nintendo wishes they could do with third parties on the Switch - a huge franchise that never before appeared on a Nintendo console, taking full advantage of their innovations in a way that cannot be emulated elsewhere. That's why NBA 2k was part of the reveal trailer - it's a known quantity that is being given new potiental through the Switch.

I'm holding my expectations at a standard port.

I don't know, but you just pitched an excellent use case.
I agree with this. I was tempted to, well, I'm not sure how many times I've 'dipped' on Skyrim but if what you're saying is true, I'm all in. That and a portable Elder Scrolls game is awesome even if VI probably would never run on the Switch.

Sounds OK, but I already platinumed this game on 3 systems, I just can't see HD rumbling up that mountain to put the item in a chest again.

I am also pretty much using a pro controller or tablet mode exclusively. I can't stand motion controls.

Good news then, HD rumble is in the pro controller too! It does not depend on motion controls at all.

I think there's something to this analysis,but I also think this sort of feature would have been front-and-center at the reveal presentation if it was being implemented. It's an example of everything Nintendo wishes they could do with third parties on the Switch - a huge franchise that never before appeared on a Nintendo console, taking full advantage of their innovations in a way that cannot be emulated elsewhere. That's why NBA 2k was part of the reveal trailer - it's a known quantity that is being given new potiental through the Switch.

I'm holding my expectations at a standard port.

See, that thought crossed my mind too, but Zelda BotW also uses HD rumble and Nintendo hadn't mentioned that either. I have no idea why. This can be something they focus on at E3 anyway, since the game doesn't release until Fall.

Maybe, but I think expecting more then a bare minimum port from Bethesda is setting yourself up for disappointment.

I would love this, but I expect the bare minimum effort from 3rd party devs. Not getting my hopes up again with this console lol

The thing about HD rumble is that every game uses rumble already. I don't know how easy Nintendo has made it (API wise) to program "HD rumble" effects but it's not some new obtrusive mechanic that will take a lot of effort to implement, like motion controls would be.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I think Skyrim is being held back so its not directly up against Zelda and actually has a chance. Nintendo really wants that game to move some units, moreso than any other 3Rd party title announced thus far imo.

Nice theory though, It would definitely be another reason for people to quadruple dip other than just being on a portable.

Pif

Banned
Sorry if already asked: is this rumble tech even more advanced than that of the xbox 1 controller?

If they do put this effort I would hope it sells well for them. Because this is Bethesdas first time in forever supporting Nintendo with a AAA IP and if they put some work in it for extra features I would applaud them. I know it's an old game so I'd still hope they would have reasonable expectations for it.

Doc_Drop

It's a fine idea but a massive reach in terms of what you are reading from his statements. Very hopeful on Bethesda's part.

If anything I'd argue he's talking about the mobility of the system, a system that can play a portable Skyrim

Edit: Ok HD rumble I can see,it was mostly the thought of motion controls that I find a massive reach from the statements

I had the same thought as you, OP. I hope you're right! I think it would be great to feel the different spells coming from your hands, or the twang of the bow strings as you fire an arrow. Could be really interesting.

Paz

Given Bethesda believe a port of a 6 year old video game is the best possible way for them to embrace Nintendo's audience and exist on their platform for the first time I find it hard to believe it will have any new features or effort of any kind, I would be surprised if it ended up more like the current gen SE and less like last gen's PS3 version.

But I guess that'd be cool if it was full of new features like that.

Do we even know for sure who's developing it?

If this is the case, I'd love for it to work and sell well. I'd love to feel a plamsa rifle go off for a FO3/NV remaster.

Then again, the Gamepad was the perfect excuse for a Pipboy and....yeah.

rockx4

I wonder what HD rumble could do in terms of what spells feel like on each hand. Might even make me curious enough to try a spellcasting build.

I hope it pans out, sounds really cool and immersive.

I know most are not giving HD Rumble importance, but that is the feature after portability, which I am most intrigued about trying myself.

Raven117

Will we ever get the 1 to 1 motion capture.

Because...Hot eff. If they could ever pull that off....

Block with left hand, a 1 to 1 reading of a sword swing with the right...A Nintendo/From Software colaboration.

Dear lawrd!

It's a fine idea but a massive reach in terms of what you are reading from his statements. Very hopeful on Bethesda's part.

If anything I'd argue he's talking about the mobility of the system, a system that can play a portable Skyrim

Edit: Ok HD rumble I can see,it was mostly the thought of motion controls that I find a massive reach from the statements

As I said in the OP I would only expect motion controls if Bethesda has already been working on motion controls for Skyrim VR, which is completely unknown at this point. It's just a possibility, and I don't think it's likely.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
HD Rumble and Motion were the first things I thought of when this was formally announced at the event.

I fully expect it to be a quick and dirty port using the exact same control scheme as always though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Okay even if this wasnt planned...now it has to happen - come on Bethesda - use the extra time.

Zedark

Ah, I see you made a thread about it! As I have said, I love the concept. If they can come to grips with the HD rumble and can implement it the way you mention it, it will definitely be a very nice addition to the game.

EDarkness

If this game has gyro aiming, then I'll be there day one. HD Rumble would be the icing on the cake. I hope they've done something like this, because I remember The Godfather: Blackhand Edition for the Wii doing some awesome stuff with motion controls. It'd be cool if they did something similar. Granted, there would still be normal dual analog for those who wanted to go that way, but added motion stuff and rumble would be awesome way to experience the game.

Top Bottom