• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodstained Runic Forging Update

nynt9

So, me and one other gaffer (a mod iirc?) backed Bloodstained at the runic forging tier that lets us create our own weapons. I just got the backer email with a questionnaire due Jan 31st. Here are the questions:

1. Animation & weapon type
1.) Kick (Shoes)
2.) Single Handed Slash (Single Handed Swords, Maces)
3.) Single Handed Pierce (Knives, Rapiers)
4.) Two Handed Slash (Great Swords, Axes)
5.) Upward Diagonal Slash (Katana)
6.) Two Handed Pierce (Two Handed Spears)
7.) Whipping (Whips)
8.) Shooting (Guns) : Consumable bullets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLUmih6PlIs

2. Element
0.) None
1.) Fire
2.) Ice
3.) Lightning
4.) Light
5.) Dark

3. Additional effects
None
Curse
Petrify
Poison

4. Strength

Regarding the weapon strength, please select one from the two below.

Option 1 - Your weapon can be obtained through enemy drops and/or throughout the castle (along with the other in-game weapons). The strength of your weapon and spawn location will be decided by the team, and therefore, may have weaker or stronger stats compared to the other weapons in the game. This weapon cannot be upgraded, however it can be encountered in every playthough.

Option 2 - Your weapon starts off weak, but will have the potential to become one of the strongest weapons in the game if you level it up. This weapon type will be categorized under "Backer Weapons” (temporary name) which the player can only hold one of at a time (but they can be swapped out for other Backer Weapons at an in-game shop). Please keep in mind that this weapon type will not be listed in the game’s item collection glossary, and will be an optional weapon for players to encounter in each playthrough.
----------

Personally, I'm thinking of going for a light based whip with no effect and option 2. Thoughts?

nynt9

Option 2, for sure. A light whip sounds cool on top of that. Some kind of whip at least.

Yeah I think I would rather have a weapon that I can stick with throughout the game if I'm investing into this so the first option seems risky. It can be a medium tier weapon that you throw away after a little bit of use. The weapon growing with you is a cool idea as well.

groansey

That's kind of limiting. If I had a spare $1,000 or whatever lying around I would've pitched:

A katana and armored glove combo called Foxglove, in reference to another old Konami property, that acts as a stealth suit (or magic cloak), allowing you to pre-emptively attack enemies.

But doesn't look possible from the options they provide so I'd imbue it with lightning I guess.

Have fun, those who backed!

Ahasverus

Sounds like the weapon/souls/card system combined with the Curse of Darkness forging thing. Nice recycling. Can the man even have an original idea for once, Jesus.

I saw the thread title and immediately checked my inbox for the Kickstarter update! But, alas, it's just for the Runic Forging backers :(

nynt9

Sounds like the weapon/souls/card system combined with the Curse of Darkness forging thing. Nice recycling. Can the man even have an original idea for once, Jesus.

This isn't an ingame system. These are guidelines for specific backers to design their custom weapons.

Anyone have a cool idea for a kick weapon? I'm leaning towards that or rapier as an alternative. I'd consider a gun but they'd probably be lame in a melee based game like this.

RedZaraki

Banned
This isn't an image system. These are guidelines for specific backers to design their custom weapons.

Anyone have a cool idea for a kick weapon? I'm leaning towards that or rapier as an alternative. I'd consider a gun but they'd probably be lame in a melee based game like this.

Kick
Lightning or Fire

I don't feel like status effects would make sense, though it'd be cool if the weapon could set the enemy on fire or had a special move with it. Like hold the button to charge it up, or do a quarter circle motion to do a flying kick or something.

13ruce

Banned
Yeah I think I would rather have a weapon that I can stick with throughout the game if I'm investing into this so the first option seems risky. It can be a medium tier weapon that you throw away after a little bit of use. The weapon growing with you is a cool idea as well.

Last option you invested money in it so that would be the best and how it grows with you is nice. You don't get a OP weapon from the start you need to work for it, that way you also can use the weapon the whole playthrough if you want.

Light whip sounds awesome i will certainly try your weapon when the game is out, i love whips in Castlevania!

nynt9

Last option you invested money in it so that would be the best and how it grows with you is nice. You don't get a OP weapon from the start you need to work for it, that way you also can use the weapon the whole playthrough if you want.

Light whip sounds awesome i will certainly try your weapon i love whips in Castlevania!

Yeah I don't know why any backer would pick option #1 lol

_Ryo_

Kinda limiting isn't it? I thought the pitch was that you could design your own weapon and not have to pick from a pretty configured list?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Kinda limiting isn't it? I thought the pitch was that you could design your own weapon and not have to pick from a pretty configured list?

I mean, they kind of have to. Otherwise, someone's going to design a laser powered yo-yo shaped and textured like a waffle and then you have something that severely clashes with the aesthetic of the game.

Nicko

Will you still be coming up with your own design and name for the weapon as well, or is your "creating" involvement simply selecting from the list?

If I had backed this tier, I would have done something like:

Whip, Lightening, type 2, with a name like "Thunderclap". Would ask them to add a thunder boom sound to each hit 😃

nynt9

Will you still be coming up with your own design and name for the weapon as well, or is your "creating" involvement simply selecting from the list?

If I had backed this tier, I would have done something like:

Whip, Lightening, type 2, with a name like "Thunderclap". Would ask them to add a thunder boom sound to each hit 😃

From what I understand, these are the base attributes of the weapons and then we get the custom aspects on top of this.

Shouta

Yeah, I got this yesterday. It's just the basic guidelines for the weapon. I think the specifics will be later.

I'm thinking Spear, Gun, or Dagger for mine.

nynt9

Yeah, I got this yesterday. It's just the basic guidelines for the weapon. I think the specifics will be later.

I'm thinking Spear, Gun, or Dagger for mine.

Nice, we won't be competing :p

In fact a spear or dagger would probably be the least appealing options to me. I'm unsure about stat effects though. This game probably won't have very long combat encounters except for bosses, so I don't think it's worth sacrificing damage output for a DoT poison effect.

Nicko

A few ideas on boots:

#1 Elemental Theme
Element: Fire, Ice, or lightening
Progression (assuming option 2): At starting and low levels, boots cause burn, ice, or lightening damage on impact, and leave a small trail of selected element on the floor where walked. At final level, boots leave a large lasting trail of element on floor, and/or raise pillars of fire, ice, or lightening bolts in wake (think Dracula's fire columns in past Castlevania games that required you to keep moving)
Bonus: Boots also give resistance to said element when equipped

#2 Perseus Boots (Mythological)
Element: Wind/none
Progression (assuming option 2): At lower levels, boots simply knock enemies back further than normal. At higher levels, boots grow wings and create a wind gust that lifts enemies up into the air while knocking them back

#3 Portal Boots
Element: Dark/Light
Effect: Successive kicks to the same enemy causes a portal to open up behind them, which Miriam then kicks them into

#4 Rose Heels/boots
Element: None
Effect: While wearing, Miriam leaves a trail of rose petals on the ground. When she kicks, a flurry of rose petals showers the area, and if touch an enemy, cause petrify.
Note: Could also replace real rose petals with stained glass rose petals

#5 For fun: Banana boots
Effect: While wearing, Miriam leaves a trail of banana peels that enemies slip on (ala Mario Kart). When she kills an enemy wearing them, the enemy explodes and launches bananas everywhere, which have the same effect.

Also, I with regards to your interest in rapiers, I had the following Bloodstained-themed rapier idea, with a cool mechanic:

Stained-Glass Rapier
Effect: Every time Miriam thrusts with the rapier, several stained-glass roses are thrown into the air. If the player can skewer 3 of the floating glass roses on the rapier, the next attack does crazy damage (with some sort of dramatic stained glass visual effect).

Congrats on getting to design a weapon! That's really cool. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! Please let us know sometime what you decide :)

Sesha

This isn't an image system. These are guidelines for specific backers to design their custom weapons.

Boot ideas:

Ice skates
Name suggestions: Skadi, Ullr, Sedna, Zimarzla
Element: Ice
Example

Bladed heels
Name suggestions: Garuda, Talon
Example

Plasma boots
Name suggestions: Gally, Imaginos
Element: Light or lightning
Description: Boots that fire a compressed burst of plasma when kicking.
Example

Whip ideas:

Plant whip
Name: Echidna
Element: Light
Description: Barbed, vine-like whip that uses its barbs to tear at the enemys' flesh, and light absorbed from the sun to scorch undead enemies. The handle is shaped like a female figure, with the end of the whip being a crown of hook-like barbs.
Visual reference

Whatever you do, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

nynt9

If I go with the whip, I was thinking of a holy whip with a cross at the end and a sickle at the tip of the cross. I'd probably call it something like "The Divine Reaper" and have it be a weapon that angels use to reap the souls of beings who are too dangerous to go to hell.

Anno

I'm sure they probably couldnt fit this in scope, but it'd be pretty rad if you could do frost themed boots that when leveled up entirely leave a sheet of ice suspended in midair that acts as a platform, then add several unique locations to be found only through that mechanic.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Crystal Rose Whip is a thing in the game?
Something along this lines turned into a whip might look nice and fit with the game.
art-card-03.jpg

Shouta

Ice Spear, None, Type 2
Lightning Gun, Curse, Type 1
Light Dagger, None, Type 2

Are my initial ideas right now.

XombieMike

Neo Member
If I go with the whip, I was thinking of a holy whip with a cross at the end and a sickle at the tip of the cross. I'd probably call it something like "The Divine Reaper" and have it be a weapon that angels use to reap the souls of beings who are too dangerous to go to hell.

Thanks for backing at the Runic Forging level. Whenever someone is interested in Bloodstained I instantly feel a kinship, but when I see someone with that kind of support behind the game it's really striking. I mean... we are on forums like this because we want to be part of a community of people that like the same things, and I love Bloodstained, so big fist bump (or whatever the kids say these days).

Alright, so my idea for a whip. You know when Jesus was flogged before he was crucified? They used what is called a scourge.

scourge2.jpg

Where did this whip go when it was done with it's cruel purpose? What if someone took it, because they witnessed it taste the blood of God? They may have been evil, but they may have also considered that any weapon used to flay the flesh of God may be powerful against evil. Would this whip that had injured God be denied harm to any lesser creature?

Maybe it was dismantled and it's components used in a different whip. Maybe that's your whip. Of course, there is censorship to consider. Maybe change the details to where it doesn't specifically say Jesus, but alludes to an unnamed God who had taken mortal form that had been flogged with the scourge.

Shouta

There positively needs to be Type 2, Ice kicking shoes. No one will pick shoes I guess T_T.

Actually, shoes might be a good idea for the weapon I was just thinking of. I was gonna go with a Type 2, Ice Weapon for sure but was thinking of a spear.

The idea I had for its special effect was that whenever you hit an enemy with it, it'd do a small amount of damage but would afflict the enemy with a timed additional damage effect. The gimmick with it though is that if you hit the enemy again before the timer goes down to deal the damage, it'd reset timer and would multiply the damage. The more hits you land, the bigger the explosion if you let it go.

At least in my head, it would be a weapon that's really good for speed killing bosses. If I this weapon as a pair of shoes, then I could put the downside that it gives you ice physics for your normal movement and it'd have a fairly short range.

Top Bottom