• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

dr. wily prepares for mega man 11: a warioware d.i.y. mini game story

jarosh

i spent way too much time working on these mini games over the last ~3 months and now i finally made a video of all of them and i figured i'd post it here.

the initial idea was to create mini games that would show all the things wily does "in between" the mega man games. i put over 100 hours into this. i can't even quite believe it myself. i'm hopelessly obsessive about things that fascinate me, especially when i find that i can combine them with something else that i love (mega man).

there's a bit more info and some trivia about the games in the description of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSkBOcBTXfg

(make sure to watch the 480p version in the bigger/expanded player, the 360p one is very low quality and full of nasty compression artifacts)

here's some better quality screen caps of all the games:

mmw6.jpg

mmw7.jpg

mmw8.jpg

mmw1.jpg

mmw2.jpg

mmw3.jpg

mmw4.jpg

mmw5.jpg

mmw9.jpg

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
The teleport failure is awesome. Saw that coming when I noticed the bee first time around. Awesome :D.

jarosh

SiegfriedFM said:
I haven't followed this game, can you make your own sprites and sound and everything? That's pretty awesome.
yes. you can make pretty much everything yourself. this was all done from scratch. obviously i used a ton of mega man sprites, i just had to re-draw them and animate them etc. the music is almost all remixes or remakes of mega man tracks.

wario ware d.i.y. is actually pretty damn comprehensive. you draw the background for your game, then you can create up to 15 sprites and they all can have up to 4 different animations. there's a music editor/sequencer that is actually surprisingly versatile and has a ton of different instruments and drum kits. the game logic itself is pretty rudimentary but you can do a lot of good stuff with it and even go beyond some of the restrictions once you really get to understand how the triggers/flags work and how they can be "abused". it's kind of like (very basic) coding with a graphical interface. you're just stringing together endless if/then's. you can even fake some basic scrolling (as evidenced by the "spikes" mini game).

all the mini games in the "campaign" were actually created with the same tools. you can load them into the game maker and mess with them.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
These are absolutely awesome. Do you do a lot of pixel art?

20119b680bc24dab8bf25d6e4ee9fa55.jpg

Beautiful, simply beautiful.

The only game I don't like that much is the shopping one, it seems too confusing for its own good, less items to buy would be better I think. But the rest is awesome. Good job.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
jarosh said:
not at all. my first time doing pixel art was here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8521283

this was only my second time. but i really enjoyed it. i've grown quite fond of it. and i have immense respect for all the amazing pixel artists of the 8 and 16bit era.
Well, you rock at it. Do you do anything else art-based?

And here I was, thinking that Big Name Games would be starting up again, with a Mega Man microgame by Inafune releasing next Monday. This is probably cooler though.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Really cool stuff. I especially like the shopping, the jumping gate, and the disappearing blocks.

Couple of ideas for future ones if you decide to take this further:

Build a robot master (drag matching body parts onto a template to create a robot master)

Practice begging for your life to be spared (swipe the stylus up an down to raise and lower your hands while groveling on your knees)

OR

Practice raising and lowering your eyebrows (open up your ship, then swipe the stylus up and down to move your eyebrows)

jarosh

Dacvak said:
Well, you rock at it. Do you do anything else art-based?
thank you! i had the most fun doing all the pixel art for the gas station and the wily-mart from scratch.

i'm really a musician/audio engineer first and foremost. but i've done some graphic design in the past and i have at one point drawn comics and designed t-shirts. and i really enjoy video editing (guess that's obvious from all my past youtube videos) and i would love to get into that even more.

randomkid

These games are hilarious and really well done, the little details and easter eggs are probably the best part. Sad-faced gas attendant was a highlight.

I wish more people had picked up Warioware DIY. At least other awesome unnoticed games from this year like Trauma Team and Patchwork Heroes have individual champions on GAF who try to spread the word. DIY is so under the radar that no one even bothered to discuss it anywhere.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
samratty said:
Great work I might have to add you up on WarioWare Showcase to get copies of them.
Seriously, this.

These are all outstanding! Please tell me that you're going to share them.

Please!

Gameboy415

Great stuff!

I really need to get cracking with my game ideas in DIY.
I had the Japanese version at launch but I couldn't understand how to do some of the more complicated stuff so I lost interest. I picked up the US version a few months ago but it got lost in the shuffle of my backlog and I forgot about it. D'oh!

jarosh

Baron Aloha said:
Really cool stuff. I especially like the shopping, the jumping gate, and the disappearing blocks.

Couple of ideas for future ones if you decide to take this further:

Build a robot master (drag matching body parts onto a template to create a robot master)

Practice begging for your life to be spared (swipe the stylus up an down to raise and lower your hands while groveling on your knees)

OR

Practice raising and lowering your eyebrows (open up your ship, then swipe the stylus up and down to move your eyebrows)
i especially like the second one!

i actually did have quite a few more ideas. the plan was to make 15 initially! but i decided that i had to move on. i noticed that i'd started to get really obsessive about the most inane details (the shop/wily-mart one was the last one i did and i think you can tell); the games were taking me longer and longer to finish...

plus, maybe you've noticed, all my mini games have a random factor in them and/or a very obvious way for the player to fail; there's always something dangerous about them, a way to lose that doesn't simply involve running out of time. that was important to me. i wanted them to be unpredictable (the spikes can go left or right, the robot masters are random and pop up in different spots, the items in the store are always different etc...) and/or i wanted there to be a tangible danger or hazard (spilling the fuel, mutating into a huge bee, shopping for the wrong items etc.).

i love the begging idea actually, but i can't think of what could make it "dangerous" right off the bat and i also can't think of what could be randomized or unpredictable about it...

randomkid said:
These games are hilarious and really well done, the little details and easter eggs are probably the best part. Sad-faced gas attendant was a highlight.

I wish more people had picked up Warioware DIY. At least other awesome unnoticed games from this year like Trauma Team and Patchwork Heroes have individual champions on GAF who try to spread the word. DIY is so under the radar that no one even bothered to discuss it anywhere.
yes, it's an amazing game. probably gonna be my goty. it's a shame that so few people seem to care about it. i guess it really only appeals to a niche audience, despite the pretty much full blown single player campaign they threw in there as well... which i've barely touched though tbh :/

goldenpp72 said:
I'd consider buying this game if there is a lot of stuff like this for me to download, how does that work?
well, the game itself has over 90 games on it already that act as a sort of single player campaign. plus you can download tons of additional games directly to your ds from what i've seen. i don't know exactly how many and how often they change and/or are updated though.

Patrick Klepek said:
As a huge Mega Man nerd, this is one of the coolest fan tributes I've ever seen.
thanks, fellow mega man nerd :p

Whimsical Phil said:
Seriously, this.

These are all outstanding! Please tell me that you're going to share them.

Please!
would i have to put in everyone's friend code for that? :/

Simply amazing, file this under "I can't believe it's not Official" What's most impressive and brought a smile to my face were a lot of the custom sprites you made like the Bee+Wily and Frog/Tanooki Wily :lol

randomkid

goldenpp72 said:
I'd consider buying this game if there is a lot of stuff like this for me to download, how does that work?

If all you're interested in is downloading other games rather than creating your own, you could pick up the Wiiware version for eight bucks. It comes with 72 games, access to download maybe 100 other games on the Nintendo store, and it's much easier to download games from friends. It still involves friend codes though, so the crappy thing is you have to get a bunch of people to add you, which might be difficult. Unlike the DS version though, friends can send you multiple games at once rather than only posting up 2 games at a time.

Top Bottom