• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare's new IP releasing Q1 2018 (Jan-March), ME leads, sounds like online game

FelipeMGM

Just confirmed on the conference call, its the one from the Edmonton team (old ME leads)

They just said the genre is Action-adventure with some RPG influences (they mentioned deep character development and such), but they were firm to say its an action-adventure title. Sounds like multiplayer.

Transcript

C3iOspjWEAMYvwF.jpg:large

Transcript from the Q&A section of the conference call

Brian Fitzgerald - Jefferies LLC - Analyst
Thanks, guys. Maybe a couple quick ones. The new BioWare game, I think you mentioned it was action and adventure in the description. Is that an
RPG game, we should assume coming from BioWare's history? And then, we may have missed this, but is that owned IP or will that be royalty-bearing
licensed IP?

Andrew Wilson - Electronic Arts Inc. - CEO
So it's an action adventure, not RPG. So what we're starting to see more and more in game genres, kind of genre-melding which is great components
of a number of different genres, really kind of coming together into single games.
And so, when you think about this game, you should be thinking about the great RPG character development and storyline progression that
BioWare is known for, but in a world of greater action and greater adventure which is growing to be one of the larger categories in games. It will
be a wholly owned IP. We're very excited about it, and we'll share more in the year to come.

Info from BioWare Blog:

Hi everyone,

As we're working hard to finish Mass Effect: Andromeda, I wanted to take a minute to talk about our new IP. As our CEO Andrew Wilson mentioned, we're creating a unique IP that will bring players together in exciting new ways.

There's much more to say in the coming months, but for now, I wanted to offer this additional background.

In 2012, we began crafting a new universe full of new characters, stories, and gameplay. Our ambition is simple: Draw upon 20+ years of development knowledge and lessons to create something fun and new for you to enjoy with your friends.

There's nothing quite as exciting as building a new IP from scratch, and it will be even more thrilling for us to share more with you in the future.

Thanks,

Aaryn

image from the E3 2014 teaser

From the tiny bit we've seen it looks sort of sci-fi

bioware_ip.png

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This was just announced on EA's fiscal call.

This should be the new IP by the Mass Effect leads, not the one that's way far off that's probably Star Wars based.

They implied it's online heavy. Something about letting friends play together in new and exciting ways. I'll update this with a better quote when the transcript goes up. The smart money is on BioWare Destiny/Borderlands/The Division.

A new Need For Speed game and Battlefield's eSports/competitive push are both coming in the Fall, along with more frequent events for their mobile games like Galaxy of Heroes.

FIFA's singleplayer mode will also continue.

Lucifon

Just confirmed on the conference call.

Action game, sounds multiplayer. Will post info from transcript later

I mean I don't mean to pre-judge but this is about the last thing most of us want from Bioware... Bring back the golden days of KOTOR.

Interested to see what sort of game this is. They've mentioned heavy multiplayer for it multiple times but I wonder of that's more of a competitive focus or a co-op focus. Maybe their own take on a Destiny / Borderlands type of experience?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Interested to see what sort of game this is. They've mentioned heavy multiplayer for it multiple times but I wonder of that's more of a competitive focus or a co-op focus. Maybe their own take on a Destiny / Borderlands type of experience?
Given some of their scrapped plans for Mass Effect over the years, even with the first game, I'll say there's like a 95%+ chance it's a Destiny / Borderlands type game.

Mechazawa

What exactly is "Battlefield esports"?

An esports initiative for current Battlefield or a new game specifically designed around esports?

Given some of their scrapped plans for Mass Effect over the years, even with the first game, I'll say there's like a 95%+ chance it's a Destiny / Borderlands type game.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well and honestly the sort of game that could work really well with Bioware wheelhouse.

FelipeMGM

I agree with Nirolak, this could be something like Destiny. They basically described as something super ambitious and groundbreaking

FelipeMGM

Bioware note about the new IP

Hi everyone,

As we're working hard to finish Mass Effect: Andromeda, I wanted to take a minute to talk about our new IP. As our CEO Andrew Wilson mentioned, we're creating a unique IP that will bring players together in exciting new ways.

There's much more to say in the coming months, but for now, I wanted to offer this additional background.

In 2012, we began crafting a new universe full of new characters, stories, and gameplay. Our ambition is simple: Draw upon 20+ years of development knowledge and lessons to create something fun and new for you to enjoy with your friends.

There's nothing quite as exciting as building a new IP from scratch, and it will be even more thrilling for us to share more with you in the future.

Thanks,

Aaryn

IKizzLE

Will have been in development for 6 years by launch?! Yea, definitely a borderlands/destiny rpg Co op shooter with loot. Destiny 2 better bring it.

Theorry

Daniel Ahmad ‏@ZhugeEX
EA-

- New Star Wars Battlefront coming Holiday 2017
- Even bigger, more locations, more heroes, multiple star wars worlds
- SP Campaign

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm going to turn this into the BioWare thread and break off the other parts since apparently EA is just going to put this all up officially right now.

Plum

I can't help but find it funny that, after that Glixel article about how ME:A is the most important game of 2017 because it's a "last stand" of sorts for singleplayer RPGs, Bioware's new IP is announced to be a Destiny-like Massively Multiplayer game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I can't help but find it funny that, after that Glixel article about how ME:A is the most important game of 2017 because it's a "last stand" of sorts for singleplayer RPGs, Bioware's new IP is announced to be a Destiny-like Massively Multiplayer game.

Their job postings also suggest they have a second online RPG like this that I suspect is Star Wars based given the EA Star Wars video at E3 2015.

Toni

Probably an action Moba or Overwatch type multiplayer, or just plain godd ol' action MMO to rake in the cash.

Would love it to be like Destiny. For as much crap as Bioware gets for bad writing, Destiny is synonymous with Bungie's ability to create a decent world, but with awful story telling. I would love for Bioware to setup an online cooperative shooter like Destiny. I hope this doesn't affect plans for an Andromeda sequel.

IKizzLE

EA is literally late to the party compared to the other big 3rd party publishers. Take two has borderlands, ubisoft has the division and Activision has destiny. EAs major coop loot rpg was curiously missing. The market is very lucrative for these type of games due to the nature of these games. However, it doesn't mean Broward is finished with single player experiences.

Plum

Their job postings also suggest they have a second online RPG like this that I suspect is Star Wars based given the EA Star Wars video at E3 2015.

That's disappointing. I've never been a fan of Massively Multiplayer games so if Bioware's new Star Wars RPG is online and, I can assume, similar to TOR, I'll likely never pick it up.

Destiny type game is disappointing, but I'll wait until I actually see it to judge. Hopefully there's a single player mode, perhaps shinobi can chime in?

At the very least I'm excited to see it

Sounds like typical EA strategy of copying successful competitors several years after the current trend started when everything is too established.

When Oblivion/Skyrim became super hits they redirected Bioware to changing Dragon Age into similar direction - the result we got was Dragon Age 2
When WoW was biggest hit they tried to copy it with Warhammer and later Kotor
When CoD became big they tried changing MoH into CoD clone
Then they started making MOBA because LoL exploded
Now Borderlands/Destiny/Overwatch are hot things so they will do their own clone

EA is literally late to the party compared to the other big 3rd party publishers. Take two has borderlands, ubisoft has the division and Activision has destiny. EAs major coop loot rpg was curiously missing. The market is very lucrative for these type of games due to the nature of these games. However, it doesn't mean Broward is finished with single player experiences.

That is a damn good point. EA is the only major player without one of these huge Loot / Online heavy RPG shooters

FelipeMGM

They just said the genre is Action-adventure with some RPG influences (they mentioned deep character development and such)

But they were firm to say its an action-adventure title

Corpsepyre

Banned
All hype deflated at the online bit. Sick of this 'EVERYONE'S CONNECTED' philosophy that developers have going. Just not my thing at all.

opricnik

Banned
Why people comparing to destiny? It could e something like for honor gods sake it resemble that from online/action game not destiny.

Arzehn

Are the same people (generally speaking) who worked on the original Mass Effect games working on Andromeda or this new IP?

Top Bottom