• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
ASELJFH ALEJ A>KRJ HA#:LRKH A>RLKN#R>LIQWNHRO:IQ#MR:OIQWMRC:OAKFMDAO:EFHWLFJIMHWFO:KAMHRFOPQAIRH{)QIRVMHAOPEIFHMPSOEITFMHO:SEFMHOS

mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
yolo.gif
yolo.gif
fire.gif
fire.gif
fire.gif
fire.gif
fire.gif
fire.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
bts_lina.gif
bts_lina.gif
bts_lina.gif
bts_lina.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif
surprise.gif
surprise.gif
crazy.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
pwou69d.gif
pwou69d.gif
5PgeuoX.gif
5PgeuoX.gif
5PgeuoX.gif
mozz_shopkeep.gif
mozz_shopkeep.gif
ashot_sven.gif
ashot_sven.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_qwe.gif
mayatomr_qwe.gif
mayatomr_qwe.gif

Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai 1 ( We Can't Study )
New Shonen Jump series
The MC, Yuiga Nariyuki, is a high schooler who has the merit of working super hard in order to fulfill his objective : being one of the top students in his high school (a "VIP Student"), in order to have his college scholarship of choice entirely paid by the school
it would be more logical to be paid by the college but oh well
. Why ? Because he has a poor monoparental multiple children family he wants to sustain of course !
Have you ever wondered how prevalent the cliché of "poor family = a lot of children" is in manga/anime ?
. In order to do that, he's got to be, well, one of the top students and pass an interview.

Alas, he always comes second in grade to two of his female classmates; Furuhashi Fumino, the beautiful sharped-tongue nadeshiko who's a genius at literature and Ogata Rizu, the cute short haired girl in classes who's a prodigy at science.

Cue the interview, and good news, his VIP status would be granted to him. On one condition...

Tutoring them.

Easy peasy right ? Except that the girls want to major in...

And they're terrible at it. Cue the beginning of their adventures !

Impressions time : I expected nothing from this manga but I was pleasantly surprised. The art is serviceable, the story has potential for great developments and finale. It also kind of realistically depicts how "genius" in middle/high school are : quite gifted at a selection of subjects, but some do not know how to study, which is essential and has consequences once they get in college. Plus it has a nice aesop : work hard and well and you may surpass hardships.

What I expect from this manga :
- To be axed lolilol
- But romcoms have potential to drag on in shonen jump
- Come on the MC has to become a teacher in the late finale
- A harem ending (lolilol)
- To become Nisekoi levels of bullshit quickly

Haly

Madhouse is doing Dungeon Meshi?!
sakugablog said:
The next series of posts appeared on 27th October 2016:

44 名前:メロン名無しさん[sage] 投稿日:2016/10/27(木) 14:16:16.69
エウレカ3
48 名前:メロン名無しさん[sage] 投稿日:2016/10/27(木) 14:19:45.05
魔方陣グルグルリメイク
50 名前:メロン名無しさん[sage] 投稿日:2016/10/27(木) 14:21:28.15
ダンジョン飯、マッドハウス
The poster here said Mahōjin Guru Guru would be getting an animated remake after more than 20 years. That's a pretty bold statement, but guess what: it's true, not just the existence of the series but its nature. I believe this series of leaks is very likely legit. The post before mentions a new Eureka Seven project in the works, which we had already heard about from a verified source in the industry. The last post claims that Dungeon Meshi is receiving an anime adaptation at Madhouse.
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/02/06/sakuga-news-anime-industry-rumors-from-2ch/

Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai 1

Well, this might have potential. It has an interesting plot, though I think for this to stay relevant, it need to be consistently funny.

Lain

ASELJFH ALEJ A>KRJ HA#:LRKH A>RLKN#R>LIQWNHRO:IQ#MR:OIQWMRC:OAKFMDAO:EFHWLFJIMHWFO:KAMHRFOPQAIRH{)QIRVMHAOPEIFHMPSOEITFMHO:SEFMHOS

mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
yolo.gif
yolo.gif
fire.gif
fire.gif
fire.gif
fire.gif
fire.gif
fire.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
bts_lina.gif
bts_lina.gif
bts_lina.gif
bts_lina.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif
surprise.gif
surprise.gif
crazy.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
pwou69d.gif
pwou69d.gif
5PgeuoX.gif
5PgeuoX.gif
5PgeuoX.gif
mozz_shopkeep.gif
mozz_shopkeep.gif
ashot_sven.gif
ashot_sven.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_gdlk.gif
mayatomr_qwe.gif
mayatomr_qwe.gif
mayatomr_qwe.gif

Can't they leave Eureka 7's bleeding corpse well alone? I've read that even some more AO is gonna be made. Like, why would you do that.

rrvv

I will be extremely precaution with Dungeon Meshi anime. I cannot pictured it in anime form for some reason

There was Love Rush, and the first three chapters of E-Robot
There was forgettable stuff like Takamagahara and Hi-Fi Cluster

All of those had something redeemable about them

Rwby has no plot, bad art, no art, and no way for someone who hasn't watched the show to even remotely enjoy it.

Huh there was a Handball manga in Jump, I wonder why it only lasted 10 chapters.....(Hand's if you want to join my suffering!)
*4 chapters*
Why are there fucking guns in this! Why did someone get shot....WHY THE FUCK IS THE 11 year old MC handling the damn gun! WHERE THE FUCK IS THE HANDBALL!?

Haly

Someone who hasn't read Dungeon Meshi doesn't deserve Dungeon Meshi.

Viz Jump 2/6/17

One Piece

Looks like the great escape is on, I wonder if Sanji's escape will lead to his family not dying at the red wedding and instead just becoming pawns of Big Mom as she plans her ultimate revenge against the Straw Hats. They do need to rescue Brook though.

Seraph of the End

So it's 100% confirmed it's Guren's fault the entire human population was basically wiped out in the past? Or did he do his human revival shit after the apocalypse had already happened. Seraph has too many moving pieces its hard to remember month to month.

My Hero Academia

Damn this got real fast, glad someone called out Shiagaki for being so small time its why I can't take him seriously as the main antagonist going forward. Yakuza guy would be a better main antagonist. I still think A4O will come back before this story is finished to be the final boss.

Food Wars SnS

This is the first time the series has shown Aldini as some kind of serious rival and motivational factor for Soma and its kinda laughable. This should have been Kurokiba or Hayama they've been far better rivals for Soma then Aldini.

Promised Neverland

The spoilers didn't do this justice, this continues to be a masterpiece. Mom is not just a fantastic manga villain she's cementing herself as one of the best villains ever. The way she coldy manipulates the children while putting on a warm motherly smile is unnerving in of itself, but when you remember Isabella herself is a survivor of this situation and is apparently still fighting to survive it really enables her to shine.

Rwby

ENNNNDDDDD

Black Clover

Oh good I'm glad Ladrous wasn't defeated that easily, he's been easily the most entertianing villain and will probably single handedly save this arc from being the worst with worldwide fans who can't read the ln.

Blue Exorcist

This is entering Seraph territory of too many plotlines and names thrown around making this monthly series harder to follow then it should be. Is shiemi quitting exorcism school an out of nowhere revelations or was it established a few chapters ago before the lightning and ban investigation saga?

Viz Jump 2/6/17

Seraph of the End

So it's 100% confirmed it's Guren's fault the entire human population was basically wiped out in the past? Or did he do his human revival shit after the apocalypse had already happened. Seraph has too many moving pieces its hard to remember month to month.

Blue Exorcist

This is entering Seraph territory of too many plotlines and names thrown around making this monthly series harder to follow then it should be. Is shiemi quitting exorcism school an out of nowhere revelations or was it established a few chapters ago before the lightning and ban investigation saga?
Yes it is pretty much confirmed that Guren caused the apocalypse in Seraph because he violated the biggest taboo and the angels did not like that.

Shiemi's situation was something brought up a few chapters ago I believe.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Food Wars

The writing staff have finally topped themselves with knowing what we want and did in a way that was just about dialogue free reaching the highest levels of character understanding and interaction thus far. The whole time Taku communicating his deep feelings to Soma and getting him so fired up, all those faces and looks and emotions flowing between them. I can only imagine the endless interactions they had off panel. This the best chapter in months or even a year.

Look at SoTaku, even the way they are looking and communicating.
C3_9_04WAAA4g-v.jpg:small

The humiliation part was intriguing, I kind of wish it was shown after that arc though I dont know where they had put it. His frustrations must have been deeper than just saying humiliating endlessly. Though surely he could have been somewhat grateful for Yukihira getting it back, but I can see why one would feel bad about being inadequate enough to earn what they lost themselves back. Terrible.

Takumi is basically Yamcha, dude. If Takumi got a power up, Soma got a power up enough to keep it so Takumi is still the pathetic guy who fruitlessly wishes that Soma would notice him even though he won't ever take him seriously since he hasn't basically ever the entire time.

PK Gaming

Yeah, i'm gonna have to disagree hard on that. Takumi's a jobber, sure, but a Yamcha he ain't. He hasn't fully degraded to that point yet.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Prison School ch. 241

That new arc smell.

I sense a heel turn for Hana coming up. Chiyo's gonna get a steel chair to the back.

cntr

Banned
Yooo, there might be a Golden Kamuy anime?!

They better make sure the opening sung in Ainu instead of Japanese! Or I'll be salty.

Super interesting, though as usual, when I hear stuff like "It wasn't written for Jump" it makes me long to know what it was like before they had to tear it apart to fit Jump's rules. I think him keeping to his guns to absolutely keep certain things and as a result being so different from Jump's normal stuff is why it's so successful in the first place. You'd think they'd learn from this but *shrug*

Super interesting, though as usual, when I hear stuff like "It wasn't written for Jump" it makes me long to know what it was like before they had to tear it apart to fit Jump's rules. I think him keeping to his guns to absolutely keep certain things and as a result being so different from Jump's normal stuff is why it's so successful in the first place. You'd think they'd learn from this but *shrug*

Japan isn't really known as the land of risk taker... But I'm glad Promised Neverland has managed to succeed in forging it's own little path out in Jump.

Skyaway's (One Shot) By Kun Sakagami: A interesting little One Shot about a chivalrous thief called Risu, who lives in the slums of a city (which seems very similar in appearance to Rio De Janeiro). Risu uses Parkour to traverse the city and slums with ease, using his twin climbing picks to make him the best runner in the city. On his tail we have Team-5 an unarmed pursuit team, who are the only members of the police allowed to enter the slums (As they're all originally from the slums and are unarmed as to not start a conflict with the numerous gangs within).

The art is quite rough and often sparse at times, but it still manages to convey great fluidity to the motions of the characters, as they dash about the rooftops. And it is really the world around these two that makes me love this little One Shot. As you have multiple shot cut away scenes of men going about their daily (often shitty) life in the slums.

In regards to language, there's not a lot of it. With Risu only speaking one sentence total. But the art manages to convey his feelings perfectly, with his wolfish grin and his 'fuck you' moment being personal favourites for me.

The story is nothing special and is used more as a mechanism to show off the parkour moves but the twist at the end, while predictable, is nice and sweet.

Not sure what could really be done/added if this became a serialisation, but I am thoroughly enjoying this spin on an old idea, and would happily welcome more of it.
Overall then, I'd say it's definitely worth giving it a shot if this sounds up your alley.

cover.jpg

Honestly I think the series could have easily crossed over into derp dark territority. Like instead of a flower that blooms from being stuck in someones heart maybe the original plan was to butchered the children like real life cattle.

PK Gaming

Prison School 241

Finally, christ. It feels so good to get out of that hell, though with the way things are going I think this might be the final arc

:(

Attack On Titan 90

Pretty impressive how they just offscreened
killing 90% of the titans on the island
. Looks like we're heading to end game wonder how long this conflict is going to be could last quiet awhile if the mangaka wants it to.

Honestly I think the series could have easily crossed over into derp dark territority. Like instead of a flower that blooms from being stuck in someones heart maybe the original plan was to butchered the children like real life cattle.

"derp dark"? was that meant to be deep dark?

Unlucky Boy Undead Girl (One Shot) By Tobitasou: A quaint? Silly? Dark? One Shot released some time in 2015. It is centered around the odd couple of a Female Zombie and her Immortal (yet extremely unlucky) Boyfriend. And basically tells the story of how they come to be an item.

Artwise it is nothing too out there or anything, I i had to describe it, it would be a pretty standard style, that while would seem out of standard for romance, works well with this strange monster love story. I will admit however there are a few great panels in the One Shot, where the art takes a massive detour in style to great effect.

Most of the story once past the premise is quite normal, sometimes borderline cliche, but for the most part it does a good job of tying the story together, with a few lines here and there standing above the rest (usually in the more Horror oriented or Comedic scenes).

The characters themself are portrayed rather one dimensionally at first but once they start to interact and we peel back the layers we get so see quite a few nice character moments that are quite endearing.

All in all, this is something quite similar to ones that have gone before it, while adding it's own little twist here and there, it's not particularly long and if you're into zombie girls it'll easily keep you amused for 5 or 10 mins.

bt1630-14586.jpg

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch498

Maybe you should stop being friends with her if this causes you to brood so much.

Prison School ch241

Phew, glad that this arc is truly over.

Hana is back in the limelight. It can only be good~

Dansan Joshi ch30-31

Everybody's got their own share of troubles, huh.

Attack on Titan ch90

Suddenly wiping out titans is actually pretty easy.

Well, that's one objective down at least.

Prison School 241

oh fuck its getting hype again

Ane Naru Mono 8

are those crocs? thats too horrifying even for an eldritch abomination...

Keijo!!!!!!!! 111-112

i cant. how does the author keep doing this

Top Bottom