• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone feel differently about their Switch Pre-Order weeks later?

I've just been stuck right in the middle the whole time. Almost didn't pre-order, but then that GameStop deal happened and I paid 35 dollars out of pocket after using a giftcard I had for a while. My excitement hasn't gone up or waned it's just kinda whatever.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Well I made it till today, almost two weeks out before canceling.

I'd still been waffling back and forth and realized it was just stupid to be shelling out near $500 total for the console, pro controller, Zelda, and some Amiibo when I'm clearly not excited for it (or I wouldn't be waffling). I thought about canceling all but the Switch and Zelda, but that's still $375ish after GCU discount on the game and taxes.

I just have too many reservations about the hardware and it's value vs. power ratio for me who's pretty much only a console/PC (on TV) gamer, and would like to make sure it's selling well before buying in.

On top of that the more I read and watch about Horizon and Mass Effect, I'm just more hyped for those games than Zelda. Plus I still have my Wii U and can play Zelda there. I'm guessing that version will run nearly as well (maybe even better) given they haven't been showing it. If it was clearly inferior to the Switch version I'd have thought we would have seen some footage to entice people to get the clearly upgraded Switch version. Maybe not though. So I'll play Horizon and ME first and then go back for Zelda on Wii U if it's a good version and if Switch is a big upgrade I'll hold off until I get a Switch.

Point being, I'll likely get a Switch eventually unless it seems to be tanking in sales or the game library isn't appealing to me (latter is unlikely). I'll reassess first in the summer around Splatoon 2. Probably won't buy then though as I got pretty burnt out on the first game. Fall/winter is more likely. Maybe for Mario, or maybe after Xmas when I usually have a $200 in gift cards etc. If I don't buy by then it will be a matter for waiting for a price drop/good bundle or realizing I just don't need it and skipping it entirely.

And to be fair, I just doubt I'll ever get another console at launch. I had a PS4 preordered for months and canceled a month or so out as I didn't want any of the launch games. I'm just past really getting hyped for gaming stuff and more rataional in realizing it's kind of dumb to buy day one if you're not hyped as the console will never cost more or have fewer games or have higher risk of hardware defects that haven't been found and fixed than day one.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm out. Can't justify the purchase for Zelda ATM. Will either wait or just get the Wii U version. Ditched my Amazon preorder.

I still kinda want one, but I'll wait to see how things play out when more games hit.

Socky

I was quietly excited about Switch, but despite keeping my pre-order going until today, I just cancelled. I got Wii U at launch and was disappointed and genuinely expected Nintendo to have moved on further than they seem to have done with the Switch so far.

And the games at launch are disappointing, or overly expensive to get the best out of them. Only Zelda has my interest so far and I can get a not-much-worse-really version of that on Wii U, cheaper, without laying out the cost of a new system, so why buy Switch yet? I'm hoping they do enough to convince me to get one nearer Christmas, but they have a lot of work to do at this point to convince me.

I wanted you to make me happy Nintendo. Work harder.

mindatlarge

The anticipation has been pretty steady through the NX period to Switch pre-orders going live, with some variation in excitement along the way, like right after the conference. Though the closer we get to launch, I'm getting pretty excited again and don't regret anything.

OCD Guy

I can think of many reasons not to order a switch, why someone has no interest in it at all, and why they would want to wait etc.

But I can't see any real reason that I'd need to cancel my pre-order. Nothing has changed since pre-ordering in terms of games and the hardware functions themselves, maybe that's the reason for some people, but nothing was going to suddenly be announced between pre-order and launch. So I don't understand the logic of pre-ordering and then cancelling because you're disappointed with what's on offer suddenly.

I'm also going in quite pessimistic, I'm expecting another Wii U, but the positives are that it will be a Wii U in terms of being home to some amazing Nintendo games again and that's about it. But I'm ok with that. I can't wait for Zelda, Mario Kart and Splatoon.

I got my money's worth out of buying the Wii U on launch, and I'll get my moneys worth out of the switch too.

And if it is a success with a massive catalogue of games then I'll be even happier. I just can't lose.

Roll on March 3rd....

I was quietly excited about Switch, but despite keeping my pre-order going until today, I just cancelled. I got Wii U at launch and was disappointed and genuinely expected Nintendo to have moved on further than they seem to have done with the Switch so far.

And the games at launch are disappointing, or overly expensive to get the best out of them. Only Zelda has my interest so far and I can get a not-much-worse-really version of that on Wii U, cheaper, without laying out the cost of a new system, so why buy Switch yet? I'm hoping they do enough to convince me to get one nearer Christmas, but they have a lot of work to do at this point to convince me.

I wanted you to make me happy Nintendo. Work harder.

Kimishima just issued a press release stating they've got a dedicated team in Tokyo working around the clock to make Socky happy. He said they can't possibly work harder and they've worked the weekends for the past 3 months :(

Oxn

lol good luck

Well i dont really care you know. Just wanna be done with holding onto this credit.

Whether its on release, a week from release, or a month.

I do however believe i can get it on release though, pending if i take the day off or not.

tebunker

Banned
Seeing my kids reactions to 1/2 switch probably pushed me over the edge. I think we can easily play it once or twice a week and have a blast with the four of us.

Pre-ordered 2, sold one for about $120 profit so I got mine for around $180. I was feeling the pinch a bit at $299, but at the price I ended up with I feel great.

If this thing gets all the big Japanese studios on board, Nintendo's own stuff and tons of indies, I'l be a happy camper long term. It's looking pretty good so far.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
my hype is unbearable

most anticipated console purchase since PS1

every day at the office feels like time is moving through molasses

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I can think of many reasons not to order a switch, why someone has no interest in it at all, and why they would want to wait etc.

But I can't see any real reason that I'd need to cancel my pre-order. Nothing has changed since pre-ordering in terms of games and the hardware functions themselves, maybe that's the reason for some people, but nothing was going to suddenly be announced between pre-order and launch. So I don't understand the logic of pre-ordering and then cancelling because you're disappointed with what's on offer suddenly.

I'm also going in quite pessimistic, I'm expecting another Wii U, but the positives are that it will be a Wii U in terms of being home to some amazing Nintendo games again and that's about it. But I'm ok with that. I can't wait for Zelda, Mario Kart and Splatoon.

I got my money's worth out of buying the Wii U on launch, and I'll get my moneys worth out of the switch too.

And if it is a success with a massive catalogue of games then I'll be even happier. I just can't lose.

Roll on March 3rd....

For me it was more just I placed a preorder out of old (and waning) loyalty to Nintendo and wanting to support them, rather than being truly interested in the hardware (I dislike it as a console/PS gamer who doesn't like or have much use for portables) or the games (not enough announced for year 1 so far for me).

So it's not that anything changed, just that I realized it was a dumb preorder for me personally as I'm clearly in a situation where I should wait until I'm actually excited to play a few games before buying, especially since I'm way more interested in PS4/PC games the next few months than Zelda or anything on Switch that's been announced. I also didn't really enjoy Wii, Wii U or 3DS, so I'd kind of like too take a break from Nintendo and decide if I still need them period to be honest.

Finances changed a bit too as we just booked a 10 day trip through Italy and into Athens so best not to spend the money on Switch as well right now. I thought about it for the flights, but I don't want to hassle with lugging around valueable electronics when trying to pack light and stay in hostels etc.

Definitely wish i picked up the Neon instead of the grey. Oh well, i know there will be more interesting colour variations down the road.

I went from low interest to high interest in the past 3 days. I skipped Wii u and while I owned a Wii, I hardly used the thing because I hated waggle controls. It was essentially a paperweight. So for me, Switch is going to feel like the first new Nintendo console in 15+ years. Zelda looks promising, a Mario kart with content I have never played before, I'll finally get to try out Splatoon, and if we're lucky, I can finally play my first Smash since Melee.

For Wii u owners, there might not be a lot on initial appeal. But for someone who hasn't played on Nintendo for some time? WHEW

I even preordered a Zelda amiibo yesterday lol

Morts

On the one hand I can easily afford it and want to play Zelda. On the other hand, I already have a machine that can play Zelda.

On the other-other hand I'll get one by the end of the year anyway for Mario. But on another hand Horizon and Mass Effect will probably keep me busy for a while.

I think I'm still holding out hope for Gamecube virtual console, which is seeming less and less likely.

On the one hand I can easily afford it and want to play Zelda. On the other hand, I already have a machine that can play Zelda.

On the other-other hand I'll get one by the end of the year anyway for Mario. But on another hand Horizon and Mass Effect will probably keep me busy for a while.

I think I'm still holding out hope for Gamecube virtual console, which is seeming less and less likely.

How many hands do you have? You may need more joycons.

I see quite a few stories about people who consider cancelling their pre-order day by day. I have a similiar dilemma on a daily basis, but it's just about what extras I want to buy.

Right now, I've pre-ordered:
- Switch w/grey Joy-Con
- Zelda: Master Edition
- Hori screen protector
- Zelda BoTW Amiibo - Zelda
- Pro Controller

Out of those items, I'm 100% set on getting the first four no matter what. The Pro Controller is paid off via trade credit at Gamestop, but I'm almost 100% certain that I won't pick that up. Figured I would wait until launch to cancel that pre-order just so the store gets an extra unit for me that I can then free up for someone in need/want.

Outside of that, I constantly go back and forth on getting accessories and extra games like 1 2 Switch. In the end I know I'll just stick with what I have outlined above and save my extra cash for Project Scorpio. Anyone else going back and forth between all-in on Switch and just sticking with the basics?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Almost exactly my reasoning the past few days. :D. Though I'm not 100% sure I'll buy end of year for Mario as I'm not that into platformers anymore. It will depend on what else is out and what type of bundles, retailer deals (free $50 gift card type offers) etc. are out and how much gift card money I have after Xmas most likely. On top of whether I have time for another console, or still feel swamped with keeping up with PS4 and PC releases.

Socky

Kimishima just issued a press release stating they've got a dedicated team in Tokyo working around the clock to make Socky happy. He said they can't possibly work harder and they've worked the weekends for the past 3 months :(

I now consider myself happy. Happy? :|

CazTGG

I'm a weak-minded fool who hates having money so...no.

In all seriousness, while I do have concerns about the Switch pre-launch i.e. the Virtual Console, online services, etc., I am confident enough to feel it was a good idea to pre-order the system given the likelihood of its availability being limited in the coming months when more multiplatform titles like Snake Pass are released. Worse comes to worst and we learn the system does something awful, there's always the possibility of cancelling it.

Linkark07

Banned
Still wondering if I should cancel my pre order or not. Money is a big factor here. Not going to red numbers but I would need to be careful for a few weeks.

Ummmmmmm.....OK?

6hfzIr0.jpg

JoseDFrog

Banned
Fools!! I knew my hype would be through the roof so I got xenoblade for the 3DS which I knew I wouldn't be able to finish in time. Now I'm hooked on the game and the wait for the Switch has been easy.

EDIT: Never mind, just saw the unbox pictures. Hngggg

I feel way different.

In the stance where I wish I had one pre ordered right now. Didn't think I wanted one, but damn zelda looks fun.

I bought the wii launch day and couldn't wait and ended up hating it
i bought the wii u launch day and couldnt wait and ended up hating it
i have neon switch preorder and cant wait........

I bought the wii launch day and couldn't wait and ended up hating it
i bought the wii u launch day and couldnt wait and ended up hating it
i have neon switch preorder and cant wait........
Are you me?

I have 2 switches pre-ordered but I'm still trying to convince myself to just cancel or sell them at cost to people on craigslist when it comes out.

My hype was entirely killed after the presentation but I preordered anyway just in case I changed my mind later on. Honestly I'm still convinced that the console is basically coming out as a beta test until an eventual relaunch happens, but I don't want to play an inferior version of Zelda and I am excited for ARMS and Splatoon 2. Plus I just like the feeling of getting new hardware, so I guess I've warmed up a bit.

Felensis

Banned
Me, too OP, but quite the opposite way. Was very skeptical beginning from last October's reveal as far as that I said to myself 'No way I'm getting this thing'.

Since the official reveal on January 13th and my participation to a Nintendo Switch Fan Event on January 17th I'm absolutely convinced about Switch's quality and hyped as fuck. March 3rd can't come fast enough!

Have it pre-ordered.

Excited about Zelda, but not excited about the device.

I think it's a mediocre piece of tech and to be honest, I'm just buying it because I like having all this stuff.

I don't care if it sells as well as the Wii or as poorly as the WiiU, it's going to be another Nintendo console with the same terrible 3rd party support and graphical abilities that were outdated 3 years ago.

psyfi

Banned
I don't know how any of you were hyped for Wii U. That thing was a clear, explicit turd. Switch looks great though.

Top Bottom