• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch UI video from some guy [named hiphoptherobot]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh believe me, I made sure everything was legit as I was extremely skeptical when I was first contacted. And I am not dealing directly with Nintendo but with a third party working on their behalf. But I made sure to ask for plenty of proof before I handed over a console.

So because of their error you're seriously out a console and they're not going to reimburse you or ship you a new one on 3/3? Wtf Nintendo

jax

Banned
Someone's a little touchy. I do not hate Nintendo, I've a switch paid off already and have owned every Nintendo console or handheld for the last twenty years. Putting it plainly if he doesn't get reimbursed somehow it's complete bullshit. He bought a Switch, he should get one of the monetary value.
If his story is true, yes. I agree. But that's doubtful.

And if it were true they wouldn't just out him his $300. Nintendo does a lot of stupid things, but being nitpicking and greedy like this is not one of them.

Cuburt

Given the circumstances that no one else seems to have been "accidentally" shipped a console yet and hiphoptherobot doesn't want to talk about those circumstances nor is he upset that "Nintendo has the console back", I seems to me that while hiphoptherobot did buy it (which is why he's saying he's not getting in trouble with Nintendo), but somewhere along the line whoever he got it from got it through means where they aren't allow to have it and sold something that is essentially stolen. I mean, I doubt units are going out to stores and may be out at warehouses at this point, but not to where they are accidentally getting shipped, especially only one Switch being shipped out by any big box retailer 2 weeks early. That last part set off my BS alarm from the beginning.

Nintendo was possibly able to prove where he got it or at least would be aware of where along the supply chain he might have been able to get a retail unit early and how it wouldn't be allow to be sold by whoever gave it to him. If someone stole it, even if he paid for it, he paid for stolen goods so he doesn't own it. That's just how it works and Nintendo doesn't owe him a reimbursement, in fact that's how people could scam someone or a company if they had to owe a person for them purchasing stolen goods.

Wikzo

To stop all speculations, all it would take is for Nintendo to acknowledge the situation. A simple "Thanks, @hiphoptherobot" on Nintendo's official Twitter account would do.

Majukun

he really shouldn't have given the console back to Nintendo, especially considering that they are not even gonna give him his money back, what the hell?
Given the circumstances that no one else seems to have been "accidentally" shipped a console yet and hiphoptherobot doesn't want to talk about those circumstances nor is he upset that "Nintendo has the console back", I seems to me that while hiphoptherobot did buy it (which is why he's saying he's not getting in trouble with Nintendo), but somewhere along the line whoever he got it from got it through means where they aren't allow to have it and sold something that is essentially stolen. I mean, I doubt units are going out to stores and may be out at warehouses at this point, but not to where they are accidentally getting shipped, especially only one Switch being shipped out by any big box retailer 2 weeks early. That last part set off my BS alarm from the beginning.

Nintendo was possibly able to prove where he got it or at least would be aware of where along the supply chain he might have been able to get a retail unit early and how it wouldn't be allow to be sold by whoever gave it to him.
why would he go through the trouble to get a console with no games weeks before day one?

Scrawnton

Sure how will nintendo know who shipped it then?
Companies know where things were shipped. When I bought FF15 at launch Amazon shipped me a case with 30 copies of the game with a label to Amazon warehouse sent from Square Enix. First thing I did was call Amazon and sent it back because I didn't want to be on the hook for over $1,800 worth of FF15.

goldenpp72

What? This is horrible. This story needs to be spread! Fuck them!

If the story is I bought a system from someone who obtained one under NDA or something, then no. People are being gullible as hell here, Nintendo would have no legal right to take a system back if I bought it from best buy and they shipped it to me on accident. There is definitely something else going on here.

He's probably from the press, he acted as he's not so he would trick Nintendo, but they probably had a way to find out who he was. He got one at the same day as the rest of the press started posting pictures of the box, that's pretty fishy.
That's probably why he's obliged to return it.

jax

Banned
What the fuck? How so?
I've gotten consoles shipped to me by mistake before launch. The OG Xbox and the 360. No one called me and demanded I send it back with no refund. He also would not be saying Nintendo is acting cool about it by not giving him a refund. There's simply no way this story adds up. Either he knowingly

A) bought it from someone who signed an NDA
B) bought it from someone who works at a game store
C) bought it from someone who stole it
D) stole it himself

If his story is true, yes. I agree. But that's doubtful.

And if it were true they wouldn't just out him his $300. Nintendo does a lot of stupid things, but being nitpicking and greedy like this is not one of them.
My post was taking things at face value, thought it was clear. Sorry if not.

jxN3

Yeah guys, they totally just accidentally shipped him, and only him an early Switch.

This whole thing sounds so shady, lol.

Some of you are being a little...idk what's the word. This is some online guy. Is he your friend? Why the hell are you taking his word or lack of info as the truth? He's just some guy who had a Switch by whatever means it was and posted a video on it.

I don't understand why people come to the defense of someone they don't even know.

Matt

Companies know where things were shipped. When I bought FF15 at launch Amazon shipped me a case with 30 copies of the game with a label to Amazon warehouse sent from Square Enix. First thing I did was call Amazon and sent it back because I didn't want to be on the hook for over $1,800 worth of FF15.
lol, what? What country are you in? Because in many (most? all?) all of those games were yours, free and clear. They can't charge you for goods you didn't ask for, and they can't demand you send them back.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
We need that pic of Sony's Shuhei walking out of a Switch presentation with a Switch photoshopped in his trench coat. Perfect pic for the perfect crime.

Hiphoptherobot's true identity

sonyspyanqks.jpg

Yeah but how would Nintendo know who sent it, how they get in contact
I've gotten consoles shipped to me by mistake before launch. The OG Xbox and the 360. No one called me and demanded I send it back with no refund. He also would not be saying Nintendo is acting cool about it by not giving him a refund. There's simply no way this story adds up. Either he knowingly

A) bought it from someone who signed an NDA
B) bought it from someone who works at a game store
C) bought it from someone who stole it
D) stole it himself
He's either press or he stole it.

I think

lindseybp

If we take everything that hiphoptherobot has said at face value, the device was acquired legally, which means anything Nintendo does is shitty, not "cool"

I guess it all depends on the legal mumbo jumbo in play. Maybe Nintendo has a contract that states all consoles are property of Nintendo until March 3 at which point retailers receive ownership. Doesn't matter if it's sitting in a retailers warehouse...Nintendo still owns that property. If that's the case technically he is in possession of stolen goods and even though he legally paid for it the retailer did not legally own the goods to be sold. The person who gets it is screwed over even though they did nothing wrong. Not uncommon. Now if he obtained it knowing it was stolen that's another story, he would definitely have been charged with receiving stolen property. Still a lot we don't know about the situation but hopefully he is "made whole" in some form or fashion assuming it was not at all his fault.

Scrawnton

lol, what? What country are you in? Because in many (most? all?) all of those games were yours, free and clear. They can't charge you for goods you didn't ask for, and they can't demand you send them back.
United States. And I believe in positive Karma so I sent them back voluntarily.

goldenpp72

Because fucking Nintendo told him to give it back and he was probably scared/nervous.

If Nintendo called my house and told me to send them my system for no refund after I legally obtained it, i'd tell them to fuck off, not even playing the internet tough guy. These companies can try to sue you, but you'd easily win and get your legal fees covered too if it was as simple as the original story implied.

Once again, the only legal thing they could do is go after the store itself, the buyer is NOT liable unless they signed some kind of NDA or something.

I'm fine with being skeptical, but it's kinda crazy how some of you turned on the guy at the drop of a dime just because Nintendo looks like the bad guy here with the limited information we have.

Unless like I've mentioned, he sold it to himself from a store he works at.

Well I am a barista and we dont usually carry Nintendo products at the cafe. And I am sure it is frustrating that I cant share more details but I am not sure what I can or cant share. For the sake of clarification I will say that I don't think the person I got it from knew and therefore I certainly didn't know but somewhere down the chain some switches had "mysteriously disappeared". So while it was unknown to me, once I found out that it had probably been stolen I did't feel comfortable keeping it.

jax

Banned
Let's put it this way, if there wasn't something sketchy going on, he would have hung up the phone and sold the unit on eBay.

I'm sorry hiphop, and I appreciate your sacrifice to get us the info, regardless of sketchiness. I agree with the other poster that we should start a donation for you to get another Switch.

But Nintendo is not in the wrong here.

AAMARMO

Banned
hiphoptherobot YOU MIGHT HAVE GOT TROLLED.

There a website called emkei.cz where you can send fake emails with any costume address.

Example:
0g7qwbl.jpg

qZfGIqt.png

Alienous

Dear Mr. HipHopTheRobot

I work at a third-party company that works for Nintendo and need to collect your Nintendo Switch as having a Nintendo Switch this early on is illegal and we can take you to court.

Please send us your address so we can collect and play return the Nintendo Switch.

Thanks,

Timmy.

phanphare

Banned
I'm fine with being skeptical, but it's kinda crazy how some of you turned on the guy at the drop of a dime just because Nintendo looks like the bad guy here with the limited information we have.

I appreciate what he did but his original story just doesn't make any sense, especially given what he's said recently

Persona7

Banned
The idea of getting one shipped two weeks early never made much sense.
I've received games that early accidentally but not hardware. This stuff sits in warehouses for weeks before release so it's not that hard to believe. This case is a different story.

plidex

Poor HipHop, the hero we don't deserve. He is just a nice guy, who helped us, and when asked by Nintendo, he helped them too, and people is now going against him.

Maybe they are right, but I prefer to respect HipHop's wishes.

Ken Bone v2

sammex

While I appreciate the videos posted there was clearly something dodgy going on with the "accidental shipping". This just confirms it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom