• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen CPUs will launch by March 3

SURGEdude

For comparison here's AMD's top level consumer CPU the FX-9590 a 220W CPU. It's underclocked by about 5% in my case so about 4.65ghz with turbo core disabled.

TvBOOg9.png

SURGEdude

Anybody have a good link to what we know about the AM4 platform? It some ways I'm just as curious about them modernizing the boards as I am about the CPUs. The way things were just tacked on to AM3+ made for a sort of Frankenstein's monster towards the end.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Oooh my 5820k hasn't depreciated at all, if Amazon sales/price for the used unit are to be trusted. I bought it in a bundle deal, that brought the 5820k to around $340 or so cost when I bought it.

If I could sell it at $370/380 and my Asus X99a Sli Plus Mobo for $180 or so. I would recoup my entire bundle cost and the ram would have been free lol. Well minus fees and shipping which wouldn't be too bad.

No. It's not to be trusted at all. Amazon sellers drastically inflate the price.

Coldsun

Banned
Oooh my 5820k hasn't depreciated at all, if Amazon sales/price for the used unit are to be trusted. I bought it in a bundle deal, that brought the 5820k to around $340 or so cost when I bought it.

If I could sell it at $370/380 and my Asus X99a Sli Plus Mobo for $180 or so. I would recoup my entire bundle cost and the ram would have been free lol. Well minus fees and shipping which wouldn't be too bad.

Hahaha. Sadly you're not going to be able to move the 5820k at anywhere near 380 considering people can buy brand new ones for the same price. As far as the Asus X99a? 20 bucks off for a used motherboard? Really?

I really hope these arn't USD prices otherwise you'll be sorely disappointed.

Is it too early to plan out a build for Ryzen based on all of the leaked or confirmed prices? I'm trying to figure out one for under $1,000 with the 1700X.

Are we gonna have a Ryzen OT?

I nominate this title

AMD Ryzen |OT| Affordable Core Act
Well if it hasn't been claimed yet, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring as OP.

Along with other CPU/GPU/general tech news and info I've contributed over the years on GAF, I've previously made these two quasi-OTs:

I likely would have made a Ryzen info/unofficial OT thread already, but this one has been doing that for several weeks now just fine.

So, is anyone doing the OT?

amd-ryzeni3uf0.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is it too early to plan out a build for Ryzen based on all of the leaked or confirmed prices? I'm trying to figure out one for under $1,000 with the 1700X.

Is there any reason to opt for the 1700X over the regular 1700 aside from the automatic overclocking feature of the former? They're both 8c/16t.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I feel like the launch of Ryzen should signify the next CPU generation. It feels like sense sandy bridge we've been in one reallly long CPU gen. This feels like moving from Athlon to AMD64

I mean it depends on how many parts you need. If you're looking to build from scratch, $1000 may not be not enough. 1700X+Mobo+RAM though? Well below $1000 unless you're looking to max out the RAM.

JaseC

Mainly for the higher clock. 3.4 base compared to 3.0 on the 1700.

Ah. I just assumed you'd be overclocking manually, although I suppose the overclockability of the SKUs is entirely up in the air and it's possible the X may have more headroom.

Has there been any game benchmarks? I am lazy by not researching myself. I would hope that Ryzen shakes things up a bit but AMD has hyped things before and fell kinda flat.

JaseC

Id imagine you can find the 1700 for a tad under $400?

The 1700 may be much cheaper as Amazon's prices for the 1700X and 1800X aligned with this image, which has the 1700 at $319.

Edit: Actually, the 1700X was $389 on Amazon versus $399 in the table, however the 1800X was $499.

Ah. I just assumed you'd be overclocking manually, although I suppose the overclockability of the SKUs is entirely up in the air and it's possible the X may have more headroom.

Conventional wisdom is that the standard and X variants will come from the same wafer and just be binned based on their performance. So while it's not impossible the standard variants can hold a decent overclock, the chances of the X being a better performer are much higher.

Later on down the line market forces may dictate AMD sell a certain number of higher performing chips as standard. But I'm guessing early on they'll probably be looking to shift as many X variants as they can. And assuming all these leaked benchmarks are correct, there WILL be demand.

JaseC

Conventional wisdom is that the standard and X variants will come from the same wafer and just be binned based on their performance. So while it's not impossible the standard variants can hold a decent overclock, the chances of the X being a better performer are much higher.

Ah, right. Well, fingers crossed that conventional wisdom doesn't apply in this case. ;)

tuxfool

Banned
The 1700 may be much cheaper as Amazon's prices for the 1700X and 1800X aligned with this image, which has the 1700 at $319.

Edit: Actually, the 1700X was $389 on Amazon versus $399 in the table, however the 1800X was $499.
AFAIK the leaks suggest the non X variant comes with a 95W cooler and the X comes with the full fat 140W wraith cooler.

So besides binning that is another possible difference. Though given that we don't have any official information we can't be certain.

I mean it depends on how many parts you need. If you're looking to build from scratch, $1000 may not be not enough. 1700X+Mobo+RAM though? Well below $1000 unless you're looking to max out the RAM.

So far I have:

CPU: Ryzen 1700X ($400)
Mobo: MSI Tomahawk ($110)

The rest are here: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ShadowKingpin/saved/d6QLkL

Is the RX 460 4GB worth having until Vega? My current PC has the Radeon HD 7950 3GB, so hopefully the 460 is a decent upgrade until something better when I have more money.

·feist·;230775647 said:
Well if it hasn't been claimed yet, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring as OP.

Along with other CPU/GPU/general tech news and info I've contributed over the years on GAF, I've previously made these two quasi-OTs:

I likely would have made a Ryzen info/unofficial OT thread already, but this one has been doing that for several weeks now just fine.

So, is anyone doing the OT?

amd-ryzeni3uf0.jpg

No one appears to have claimed it in the official thread for doing so, so I'd say it's all yours if you make a post.

So far I have:

CPU: Ryzen 1700X ($400)
Mobo: MSI Tomahawk ($110)

The rest are here: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ShadowKingpin/saved/d6QLkL

Is the RX 460 4GB worth having until Vega? My current PC has the Radeon HD 7950 3GB, so hopefully the 460 is a decent upgrade until something better when I have more money.

I don't think the 460 is worth it at all. It's not in line with the 470 or 480 at all. Get the 470 4GB of you're looking to save money. Are you in the U.S. its as low as $120 here. Check on Slickdeals.

Hahaha. Sadly you're not going to be able to move the 5820k at anywhere near 380 considering people can buy brand new ones for the same price. As far as the Asus X99a? 20 bucks off for a used motherboard? Really?

I really hope these arn't USD prices otherwise you'll be sorely disappointed.

I'm just going off what they are actually moving for on Amazon. I agree that it seems a bit too much at that amount but they seem to be selling. I'll probably put it up at a lower cost though. Still seems pretty healthy. I've done it in the past iwth multiple parts. People don't seem to be very good shoppers.

I don't think the 460 is worth it at all. It's not in line with the 470 or 480 at all. Get the 470 4GB of you're looking to save money. Are you in the U.S. its as low as $120 here. Check on Slickdeals.

U.S. here. Shit, if it's that cheap, I'll go that route. From benchmarks, the 470 gets nearly double the FPS on 1080p, so I may just stick with that for now until Vega.

SRG01

How much of a performance increase could I be looking at if I upgraded from my 4790k to either the 1700x or 1800x? Currently running 32GB PC3-12800 RAM.

Also not OCed -- literally bought the 4790k because it was cheaper than the locked version -- but it *is* undervolted.

I just wanted to buy a 6600k, but better to wait for Ryzen?

The Ryzen 1600x should be VERY competitive with the 6600k/7600k. Unless you're near a Microcenter where they have sweetheart deals with Intel, you're probably better off waiting to see how the 1600x, or even the 1400x stacks up

How much of a performance increase could I be looking at if I upgraded from my 4790k to either the 1700x or 1800x? Currently running 32GB PC3-12800 RAM.

Also not OCed -- literally bought the 4790k because it was cheaper than the locked version -- but it *is* undervolted.

The extra cores will already do you wonders. What kind of performance are you looking at: gaming, video editing, etc.? If it's gaming, we are still waiting for benchmarks, but it is looking good so far (As long as benchmarks are legit). Video editing and multitasking are going to be incredible.

Top Bottom