• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

BquIikBIgAAF9vq.jpg

Also it feels like there is an inverse relationship between his ability to draw "normal looking" humanoid characters and the overall quality of the art as time goes on in Nihei's work. It's still technically good, but nowadays he really doesn't like using black shading anymore which is why his new manga takes place in a frozen wasteland

Shots fired.

And yeah, Blame was his best work, and that was his first one. From that point it has been worse and worse.

Mira - Secret Yuri Salon (NSFW doujin)
Mira x yuri x salon x xxx, featuring some inspirational massage techniques and a minimal amount of plot. If you've read any other Mira works you already know what you're getting. There's a sequel (currently untranslated) that expands upon some of the central themes here. Also I tried the website address on that page out of... curiousity but it doesn't work.

Articalys

With the six-series initiative almost in full swing, I was kind of wondering; how often does a mangaka come out of nowhere and get a smash hit with their first full serialization, versus having done a few one-shots or even a couple shorter series before? Comparing for example, say, Isayama, who as far as I know basically did nothing before his first submissions of AoT, to Horikoshi, who had Zoo and Barrage before striking gold with MHA.

Articalys

Honestly, I originally typed up the question as more of a direct comparison between actually having a short 1-5 volume series or two (eg. Horikoshi as mentioned, Kubo and Zombiepowder) before landing a mainstream one vs. coming from no other real background of a sustained published work, but even then there's still the connections of being a former assistant to a big name (eg. Shinohara and Sorachi) or having published unrelated oneshots. Can't think of anybody aside from Clamp who came from a doujin background and became superstars though.

Matsui Yuusei (Neuro and AssClass) may be one of those cases of no prior published/self-published work, but he did work as an assistant for Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo prior to his debut with Neuro.

cntr

Banned
Shokugeki no Souma comes from a doujin
smut
background.

In Horikoshi's case specifically, most of his early works were pretty bad. He found his place art and writing-wise around Crazy Zoo, but the initial premise was probably too strange to succeed. Even My Hero Academia was originally set during college until his editor told him that high school would have better appeal.

Articalys

Oh yeah, forgot to account for split author/writer teams too. Shows you how much I think out my questions before I ask them.

According to cursory research, Souma's author did a short soccer manga once, but yeah tosh definitely got his rep from ero stuff.

cntr

Banned
Also, ONE got his start with the One Punch Man webcomic, which is basically equivalent to a doujin, right? Similar situation with Horimiya, which started as a webcomic and became a proper manga later.

Tomo-chan also got big but it's still mainly a webcomic, I guess.

Articalys

How do you keep pulling all these weird edge cases out of thin air? I'm just going to shut up now and drop the entire question before I try to add another clarification and get proven wrong yet again.

Just forget I even asked.

spiritfox

A lot of mainstream mangaka come from doujin backgrounds. And webcomics/novels are also becoming popular, a lot of which are picked up by publishers and redone by their original mangaka/writers.

With the six-series initiative almost in full swing, I was kind of wondering; how often does a mangaka come out of nowhere and get a smash hit with their first full serialization, versus having done a few one-shots or even a couple shorter series before? Comparing for example, say, Isayama, who as far as I know basically did nothing before his first submissions of AoT, to Horikoshi, who had Zoo and Barrage before striking gold with MHA.

Does promised neverland count, think the artist only did oreca battle stuff before.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch523

Not gonna end well for them.

(NSFW) Secret Yuri Salon by Mira

A mousy girl gets introducted to a beauty salon by her friend, more plot ensues.

I'd go there in a heartbeat.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch8

That's one way to make a first impression.

Thankfully it's not going as easily as expected.

Minamoto-kun Monogatari ch205-206

She's moving fast.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Honestly, I originally typed up the question as more of a direct comparison between actually having a short 1-5 volume series or two (eg. Horikoshi as mentioned, Kubo and Zombiepowder) before landing a mainstream one vs. coming from no other real background of a sustained published work, but even then there's still the connections of being a former assistant to a big name (eg. Shinohara and Sorachi) or having published unrelated oneshots. Can't think of anybody aside from Clamp who came from a doujin background and became superstars though.

Yokota Takuma start out as a doujin artist for 2ch thread (yeah, seriously,that's the equivalent of making a comic out of 4chan green text), land a job as an illustrator for sentou hakkai gakuen dangerous, nominated in Jump new mangaka award, then made several one-shot and made sesuji wo pin which won da vinci award

iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls - U149 8

Think I said something last time about wanting development for the less popular characters. After this chapter I retract that statement, because seeing genki kids being genki without an impending threat of death/mutilation is pretty torturous, and not in the good sense.

cntr

Banned
Golden Kamuy 49 - 59 (Vol. 6)

I'm actually still in the middle of reading the volume, but...

...what the fuck is with that guy's face.

Death March 27

I'm not a fan of most, but for some reason DM really clicks with me. Probably has to do with how comfy everything feels.

Akatsuki no Yona 137

giphy.gif

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Nice tidbits. Yeah it's a shame that it doesn't feel as experimental now, but let's hope he'll have opportunities to get wild again.

Also, I hope he'd do a couple of h-works sometime before he retires. It would assuredly be incredible.
Glad i''m not the only one who been thinking the same thing.

Also, i really hope Tosh come back doing H again. His artwork keeps gettin better, i just want to see dude doing another H with his current level. IT WILL BE THE BOMB

BquIikBIgAAF9vq.jpg

Also it feels like there is an inverse relationship between his ability to draw "normal looking" humanoid characters and the overall quality of the art as time goes on in Nihei's work. It's still technically good, but nowadays he really doesn't like using black shading anymore which is why his new manga takes place in a frozen wasteland

I'll be honest, i don't really like his current art style for human character. I really like his early blame or Biomega. Sidonia art is a bit meh... (his sense of architecture design is still good at least)

Ahahahahahaha

Apparently on the cover (featuring Fuuka) of the upcoming issue of Weekly Shonen Magazine, there's a notice that basically says
"Shocking! In the anime, Fuuka survived! Seo Kouji explains why inside!"

Kouji Seo
Profession: Manga artist and a professional troller. I swear, if he's the one that ask the director for this twist...

Fire Punch 43

THIS MANGA IS A MASTERPIECE

captainpat

Prison School 245

Just had to look up how much 20k yen was. Kiysho's out of his mind for asking for that much per person. I hope all this shenanigans is just lead up to him realizing who the best girl is.

Also sweaty Meiko is sexy but I bet she must reek all the time.
which is my fetish

Nordicus

Totsukuni no Shoujo 11

I am quite happy that we're now breaking the status quo a bit and the girl is now in the city again.

Let's see what teacher's gonna do.

Verelios

Chi no Sadachi 2

What the fuck? What the fuck!? This author never fails to weird me out with his stories, and the innuendo between mother and son is...disturbing. Is there a reason all of his MC's have a similar template but stuck in a different shitty situation of their own making?

upandaway

Dungeon Meshi 16

You had it freaking coming Laius. I was wondering when he's gonna get punished for all the nonsense he's pulling.

xv07fqz.jpg

Gold

Fancolors

Uratarou 1 - 26
Wonder where this is going. Maybe they will be able to reach the immortality fruit, but instead of consuming it Chiyo will decide to keep the baby because of he obsession with 'living'

Cestvs (Ongoing)

What's It About?

In Rome, a lil' cute boy is a slave who's forced to box for the amusement of the rich and powerful. Cute boy also wants to earn his freedom with his mad boxing skillz

- Focused plot

Dislikes:
- The strength of the emotional attachment between characters is unintentionally lightweight

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Every time you read a Dungeon Meshi chapter, panda, I have to read that chapter and then every following chapter as well.

rrvv

Kaguya 56

That foreshadowing thought

Kaguya 56

Thats bullshit. That was Prez total victory.

Anyway, great chapter.

He pretty much confessing to Kaguya. If Kaguya didn't get distracted by Prez alpha. She would win the entire battle by saying "how cute"

Droplet

Trail of Blood 2
The mother's expression through the whole thing still unsettles.

Still betting this thing is gonna be incestuous.

It's more than just the mother. The shading and expressions on every character's face make even the most innocuous statements come off as sinister.

FSrgHPN.jpg

REuyZaF.jpg

AA0l8YQ.jpg

plus the angle here

And these are just the obvious ones. The whole thing could go on like this from start to end without anything happening and it would still be unbearably creepy.

Dynedom

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the expressions in Trail of Blood 2. Particularly the aunt. Struck me as nervousness.

wamberz1

Grand Blue 31

Dz0jV63.png

Fucking Incredible

Azusa best wingman. Azusa best girl. Azusa best basically everything

We are so close to a serious development I can taste it.

bakuon 31

poor principal. Forever single. Anyway, I don't know if Raimu can keep up the act of repeating senior year forever. Though I guess its weird enough she lives in the club room. And is like at least 35 years old probably.
On another note, the slow translation of this is kinda sad.

tomo 519 - 523

Well, looks like Misuzu is in some trouble.

Yuzumori-san 15
Unfortunately for your strategy, Yuzumori is smarter than the average bear. If the pair haven't properly hooked up yet (which is understandable in the circumstances) then I guess more willpower rolls are the order of the day.

Top Bottom