• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

zumphry

Banned
"You are really good at killing things. I'm impressed."

:D

Loving the new Bungie.net bar at the top, and I love that the Bungie network is back.
at least my marathon emblem lives on with the search button

Also, congrats Mik. You now have one more avatar approved on B.Net than I do. Congrats.

and now you must die. :p

Ramirez

ManCannon said:
So far all the MLG games I've seen (both at Bungie and at PAX) only used Sprint and all pros greatly prefer the Needle Rifle over the DMR.

I played a team of 4 dudes in the Arena back in the beta that all used the NR. It felt borderline broken at the rate they were able to bring us down, but I never mentioned it because it was the only game that had that much coordination. The NR's bloom felt much more forgiving than the DMR, to me at least.

ACE 1991

So GAF, do you guys genuinely find the campaigns in halo games satisfying and exciting like other FPS? I love the multiplayer to death, but I've just never been able to really see why people love the campaign side of things. Does anyone want to enlighten me? I'm not trying to be snarky, I promise :lol

Circle T

wwm0nkey said:
Holy shit! Guys watch the first few seconds of this race video, every race game should start off like that!

Video
As someone who played thousands and thousands of games of Rocket Race in H3, this video makes me very happy. I can only imagine how AWESOME it will be in Reach.

thetechkid

ACE 1991 said:
So GAF, do you guys genuinely find the campaigns in halo games satisfying and exciting like other FPS? I love the multiplayer to death, but I've just never been able to really see why people love the campaign side of things. Does anyone want to enlighten me? I'm not trying to be snarky, I promise :lol

Halo 1: Good Story
Halo 2: Meh
Halo 3: Meh 2
ODST: Pretty good

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
Trasher, you invite me, I join and you're not there. I play MLG, get done and you're playing NBA.

For shame!!!

Maybe tomorrow
Yeah, that's my roommate playing NBA. Sorry about the first invite where you joined. I couldn't find the optical port on my new TV to plug my headset into so I had no mic. :( Then I went grocery shopping after that second invite when you didn't join right away. :lol I'm back now though!

Ramirez said:
I played a team of 4 dudes in the Arena back in the beta that all used the NR. It felt borderline broken at the rate they were able to bring us down, but I never mentioned it because it was the only game that had that much coordination. The NR's bloom felt much more forgiving than the DMR, to me at least.
I was too busy trying to perfect the DMR. I always dropped NRs for DMRs during the beta. :lol But yeah, you could definitely seem to spam the NR and get away with it more than you could with the DMR.

ACE 1991 said:

Halo 1's Campaign was great for these reasons:

-Great pacing throughout the game
-Never got boring or repetitive
-Story was presented very well

Halo 2 and Halo 3 were not bad by any means, but the one thing that bothered me about them both, more than anything else, is that you no longer felt alone and vulnerable. You could take on dozens of enemies without any problems, and you had an AI buddy or two with you throughout most of the game.

ODST kind of felt a bit better. Rarely had AI with you, brought health packs back, etc.
I'm a bit worried about Reach, though. Going around killing with the invincible Noble team might take away from the feeling Halo 1 gave. :\

ElRenoRaven

Ajemsuhgao said:

Halo 2 and Halo 3 were not bad by any means, but the one thing that bothered me about them both, more than anything else, is that you no longer felt alone and vulnerable. You could take on dozens of enemies without any problems, and you had an AI buddy or two with you throughout most of the game.

ODST kind of felt a bit better. Rarely had AI with you, brought health packs back, etc.
I'm a bit worried about Reach, though. Going around killing with the invincible Noble team might take away from the feeling Halo 1 gave. :\

That is the one thing I miss about Halo the most. I miss not having an invincible ally with me every step of the way. I did love 2, 3 and ODST though.

Ajemsuhgao said:

The Library begs to differ.

HaloGaffers with iOS experience, I am willing to pay for a solid Reach stats app for my iPhone. A place where I can track my stats, see daily challenges, recent games, friends. Whatever is in the API (that just got released).

I'm going to be playing for years, and a clean, solid app is worth money to me.*

(Come to think of it, not sure if MS will allow charging money. They won't let you charge for Xbox Live tracker, but all the same, I think if people make something good they deserve to get rewarded (paid) for it.)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Arnie said:
Seems like it's just me but DMR > Nerfle, 1 less shot to kill means it is no contest. Supercombine's for pussies.

I don't tend to judge someone's "pussyness" based off of video games.

I'll go with what works.

Genesis Knight said:
All Bungie said was that the Human weapons were hitscan I don't remember them saying the Needle Rifle was...it certainly seems to fire a purple bolt.

Well the DMR also fires "gold" tracers, it's just the graphic to go with the shooting. I would bet the nerfle is hitscan.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ajemsuhgao said:

Agree with everything but the bolded, I didn't mind some of the repetition in Halo CE, but there were some very repetitive levels.

Love the game though.

Trasher

Ajemsuhgao said:

The Library says hi.

But yes, Halo 1's campaign is still by far the best.

Edit: Lawl, beaten.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Alienshogun said:
I don't tend to judge someone's "pussyness" based off of video games.

I'll go with what works.

Well the DMR also fires "gold" tracers, it's just the graphic to go with the shooting. I would bet the nerfle is hitscan.

I actually think video games are a great way to judge that, not by how they play but how they acted while playing. Crying, whining, racism, and just everything else kids yell over xbl is a very good indication of what they are. :D

Kibbles said:
GameTrailers put up some videos from PAX. "Firefight Walkthrough" with Lars.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pax-10-halo-reach/704141
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pax-10-halo-reach/704143

(changed to SD links cause I know the HD player is shit for some people)

Watching the second part he mentions that there will be Score Attack in solo Firefight matchmaking where it will show your friends score in real time similar to Geometry Wars 2. :D

So awesome. I really want to see this in action.

wwm0nkey said:
Holy shit! Guys watch the first few seconds of this race video, every race game should start off like that!

Video

2eas1kx.gif

Sanic

Had a ton of fun in H3 customs today, played some good maps. Won't miss the ugly aesthetic of both Foundry and Sandbox.

Lazslo

big ander said:
But while I think the statue is cool, it's something I'm genuinely not interested in.
Hope u r fine w/ me buyin limited for ur swan song bungle <3
Yeah I'm not really interested in the statue either. Last winter I found the H3 Legendary Edition on sale at NewEgg for $29.00 so I got that and if the same happens to Reach a couple years from now I'm sure I'll buy it- However, I heard that this Legendary is actually limited so I don't think it will happen.

Blueblur1

Pandoracell said:
Had a ton of fun in H3 customs today, played some good maps. Won't miss the ugly aesthetic of both Foundry and Sandbox.
Preach on, brother!

Edit: Fuck, those videos have me craving more Firefight like a pregnant woman craves pizza in the middle of the night. :D

DancingJesus said:
Watching the second part he mentions that there will be Score Attack in solo Firefight matchmaking where it will show your friends score in real time similar to Geometry Wars 2. :D

So awesome. I really want to see this in action.

Geowars is amazing for that reason. I am so torn on where to begin once I get Reach, everything is so effin' awesome.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I'd like to thank Letters for this amazing gif. After I saw the first few seconds of that "MLG" Reach match, I knew this had to be gif'd and Letters provided. I couldn't stop laughing when I saw this part of the match.

2ibi2p0.jpg

Domino Theory said:
I'd like to thank Letters for this amazing gif. After I saw the first few seconds of that "MLG" Reach match, I knew this had to be gif'd and Letters provided. I couldn't stop laughing when I saw this part of the match.

2ibi2p0.jpg

Oh god this made me laugh way harder than it should have. :lol

Trasher

Domino Theory said:

2ibi2p0.jpg
Wtf. Is there an animation for flipping when going up a lift now or something?

FourDoor

Domino Theory said:

2ibi2p0.jpg

The Russian judge scores the landing as a 7!!! :lol

Domino Theory said:

2ibi2p0.jpg

link to the video?

Sibylus

Banned
Letters said:
Cool thanks! I love dev commentary. :D

Reach's Firefight is anomnomnom
I opened both of these links at the same time and got identical ads, with the 2nd offset by several seconds. Sounds weird, man ~_~

Domino Theory said:

[IM]http://i53.tinypic.com/2ibi2p0.jpg[/IMG]

:lol

If you set speed to 300% and you evade off of a ramp, you fly SO far. I saw it in a stream once.

Circle T said:
I believe they also had the speed increased and gravity decreased.

That too.

I might have to make a map based on this. Have a floating map with a bunch of platforms, and the only way to get from place to place is to use evade. :lol

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This thread moves too fast. I cannot keep up. I got all the name plates. I am a happy man.

Circle T

Speaking of different settings and stuff, I was wondering something about that SWAT video on Countdown Bungie posted the other day. At one point in the video, the player melees someone, but they don't die. I thought with no shields, it was a single melee to kill? After seeing the setting for 75% melee damage in this crazy evade video, is it possible Bungie is using something like that in SWAT now?

Schmitty

godhandiscen said:
This thread moves too fast. I cannot keep up. I got all the name plates. I am a happy man.
I've got everything but the Marathon one, which I don't really care about. Then there is the star one which they haven't made a use for yet.

Circle T said:
Speaking of different settings and stuff, I was wondering something about that SWAT video on Countdown Bungie posted the other day. At one point in the video, the player melees someone, but they don't die. I thought with no shields, it was a single melee to kill? But, after seeing the setting for 75% melee damage in this crazy evade video, is it possible Bungie is using something like that in SWAT now?

Would be amazing to have it set to not do damage, just to piss people off. :lol

When they did that 120% speed was that taking into account the movement speed increase in retail over the beta? I wonder. They move really fast in that.

EDIT - I just noticed I'm now an exalted member on b.net. :lol Which apparently is one status away from having a colored bar thus making me a peon. Ah well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom