• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is there a reason you guys are using a specific tool for borderless gaming? I just enabled window mode and it seems fine.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
the amount of people that still don't know that Fullscreen is bugged and wont show the native resolution

it should be in the OP somewhere with a link to Borderless gaming.

Yeah, it sure would be useful if the tips/tricks section had something like "Run the game in a borderless window" and "Run the game in the actual nominated resolution". ;)

RaffAO

All resolutions were going out as 1680x1050 in full screen for me and my monitor was squashing it further. Never seen a game do this before.

Ascheroth

There's definitely something wonky going on with the LOD though.
It's WAAAAAAYYY too aggressive: Example.
Game looks actually pretty good with some minor ReShade tweaks (the screenshots are without those), it's the LOD that makes everything look like shit.

Paragon

For anyone wondering about the bad pop-in, it seems to be caused by enabling ambient occlusion.
With AO enabled objects in the distance just seem to pop in immediately instead of fading in. It's the combination of AA and AO which causes the pop-in, not AO on its own.
The default AO implementation looks really bad (low res/flickery) so I would have disabled it anyway.
Hopefully someone can figure out a way to inject some better AO without any issues. (I'd rather have no AO than AO which bleeds or disappears at certain angles)

The larger issue for me is performance. I have an overclocked 1070 and the open world seems to jump between 30% and 70% GPU usage at random, when using 1080p with no AA/AO.
2xAA pushes that higher usage up to 90-95% which I assume means that it will drop frames during combat.

The game stutters badly at times when running around the open world. Seems like streaming issues. (off a fast SSD)
And the pre-rendered videos run really poorly. Definitely not running at 30 FPS here.

It probably doesn't matter for anyone using a dual-analog controller, but the input handling seems really bad too.
Aiming has lots of negative acceleration, so slow inputs turn more than fast inputs. That makes touchpad/gyro aiming with a Steam Controller rather unpleasant.
No mixed input support either, so I haven't tested mouse aiming to see if it has similar issues.

There's no analog character movement, only three movement speeds; walking/running, and holding RT to sprint.
The game doesn't remember the state of the right trigger, so if you're sprinting and then pick up an item or run into something that slows you down, you have to release RT and press it again.
That might be fine on a dual-analog controller, but I have that mapped to the outer edge of the touchpad which makes it really annoying. If you're not familiar with the Steam Controller, it works like this.
Dodging is unreliable with RT on the outer ring, so it also needs to be mapped to a button for that. I can't just hit the outer-ring binding to dodge attacks; that ends up sprinting instead of dodging.

Seems like an okay port at best.
Assuming they sort out the pre-rendered cutscene problems, it's surely a better way to play the game than the console version if your PC is fast enough.
It's just more demanding than you might expect.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's for borderless fullscreen.

because the game doesn't support it and it took me 2 minutes to download and apply borderless gaming so i'd say its worth it.

Sure, but what I'm saying is already basically have that. Screen mode is set to window, which is full and borderless at 1440p. Unless there's a performance difference I'm missing?

For what it's worth, I always play native fullscreen unless I absolutely cannot, like here.

ezodagrom

For anyone wondering about the bad pop-in, it seems to be caused by enabling ambient occlusion.
With AO enabled objects in the distance just seem to pop in immediately instead of fading in.
The default AO implementation looks really bad (low res/flickery) so I would have disabled it anyway.
Hopefully someone can figure out a way to inject some better AO without any issues. (I'd rather have no AO than AO which bleeds or disappears at certain angles)

The larger issue for me is performance. I have an overclocked 1070 and the open world seems to jump between 30% and 70% GPU usage at random, when using 1080p with no AA/AO.
2xAA pushes that higher usage up to 90-95% which I assume means that it will drop frames during combat.
The default AO option is what enables post-processing AA:
AA off, AO off - https://abload.de/img/aaoffaoofffmlgo.png
AA off, AO on - https://abload.de/img/aaoffaoon9mlxt.png
AA 8x, AO on - https://abload.de/img/aa8aoon2obwh.png

Post processing AA seems to be tied to the ambient occlusion option for some reason.
And also AA 8x seems to make jaggies worse in some parts.
While I didn't take a pic of it, AO off and AA on looks awful, so if you have AO off, you can only get AA properly through external means (like reshade's SMAA).

Sure, but what I'm saying is already basically have that. Screen mode is set to window, which is full and borderless at 1440p. Unless there's a performance difference I'm missing?

For what it's worth, I always play native fullscreen unless I absolutely cannot, like here.

I can see the top toolbar of the window in regular windowed mode as well as the windows start menu. Positioning it perfectly is a chore if you only have one monitor (unless im doing something wrong?).

Paragon

Windowed mode runs in a window (also note the rescaling artifacts on the text) and the game doesn't have a Borderless Windowed Mode option.
Borderless Gaming hides the title bar and maximizes the window to fill the screen, emulating true Borderless Windowed Mode. It can also hide the mouse cursor.

If Windowed Mode is running full-screen for you, do you have something else running on your PC which might be affecting that?

The default AO option is what enables post-processing AA:
While I didn't take a pic of it, AO off and AA on looks awful, so if you have AO off, you can only get AA properly through external means (like reshade's SMAA).
Yes I saw that, but having AO on seems to be what is causing things to pop in immediately instead of fading in smoothly.
Hopefully they can separate the two options so that you can have their post-process AA enabled without AO.

Paragon

I loaded it up again and did a little more testing.
It's not Ambient Occlusion which is causing the bad pop-in.
It's the combination of Ambient Occlusion and Anti-Aliasing.

I can use 2xAA on its own, or AO on its own, and the grass fades in smoothly.
If I have both 2xAA and AO enabled at the same time, it just pops in instantly.

Having AO enabled does make the short draw distance a bit more noticeable as the grass fades in a lighter color and then gets shaded, but it still fades in, instead of popping in instantly.

Exentryk

Reposting this in hopes that someone might have an idea of what's going on with my game. I've verified the game files, though I haven't reinstalled yet. (Reinstalling now)..

Since you're still in the first hour of the game, it's probably quicker to just start a new fresh save. Seems like you encountered a game breaking bug and can't progress.

Zojirushi

I loaded it up again and did a little more testing.
It's not Ambient Occlusion which is causing the bad pop-in.
It's the combination of Ambient Occlusion and Anti-Aliasing.

I can use 2xAA on its own, or AO on its own, and the grass fades in smoothly.
If I have both 2xAA and AO enabled at the same time, it just pops in instantly.

Having AO enabled does make the short draw distance a bit more noticeable as the grass fades in a lighter color and then gets shaded, but it still fades in, instead of popping in instantly.

So...upping the resolution and turning off AA seems like the way to go here?

EatChildren

I can see the top toolbar of the window in regular windowed mode as well as the windows start menu. Positioning it perfectly is a chore if you only have one monitor (unless im doing something wrong?).

Windowed mode runs in a window (also note the rescaling artifacts on the text) and the game doesn't have a Borderless Windowed Mode option.
Borderless Gaming hides the title bar and maximizes the window to fill the screen, emulating true Borderless Windowed Mode. It can also hide the mouse cursor.

If Windowed Mode is running full-screen for you, do you have something else running on your PC which might be affecting that?

Yeah, definitely don't have the noted issues with using Automata's windowed mode. I thought I would, but nope. Pixel for pixel full screen 1440p, no header bar, no warped rescaling.

Not using any other software either. Odd.

kewlmyc

I just want to know if there is anyone NOT having the choppy cutscenes issue and what your setup is. It's my only real complaint about the PC version and I want to know if there's a fix right now.

KHlover

Banned
I just want to know if there is anyone NOT having the choppy cutscenes issue and what your setup is. It's my only real complaint about the PC version and I want to know if there's a fix right now.

The cutscenes are 30fps, they'll never not be choppy. My fps counter shows a steady 30 without drops, but they're still choppy as fuck.

Paragon

So...upping the resolution and turning off AA seems like the way to go here?
Yes, if your system can handle it.
Downsampling generally looks better than MSAA anyway, though it usually comes at a bigger performance hit.

Yeah, definitely don't have the noted issues with using Automata's windowed mode. I thought I would, but nope. Pixel for pixel full screen 1440p, no header bar, no warped rescaling.
That is odd. There's no need for Borderless Gaming if it's running like that, but I don't know what could cause a windowed mode application to appear borderless on its own.

The cutscenes are 30fps, they'll never not be choppy. My fps counter shows a steady 30 without drops, but they're still choppy as fuck.
It displays as "30" but they're clearly running much worse than 30 FPS.

ezodagrom

Kaldaien said:
I've had luck making them smoother with my own framerate limiter, but I need to do some game-specific work to trigger the limiter on during cutscenes and off during normal gameplay, so I'm not releasing anything for the time being. We just have to put up with that crap for now :-\
http://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135511757698696939/#c135511913382796328

Braag

the amount of people that still don't know that Fullscreen is bugged and wont show the native resolution

it should be in the OP somewhere with a link to Borderless gaming.

I'm reading so many conflicting things about this, it's really confusing.
I'm interested in the game but I'm still trying to figure out if the port is adequet enough to warrant the 59,99€ price tag.

Some people say use DSR to upscale instead of borderless gaming. Other say set your display scaling to "fullscreen" in the NV control panel.

jUpc.gif

Exentryk

Yeah, the prerendered cutscenes don't seem to be running at 30 fps, even though the counter says 30. It's more like 15 fps at times.

But the game is running well everywhere else. No stuttering even when going into newer areas. SSD putting in the work for that world streaming.

Anteater

Do you have a 1440p monitor? You're not the first I've seen here with no issues on that res.

I really feel like there's something wrong with the way the game's engine handled fullscreen mode/change resolution depends on your monitor and its resolution, I've mentioned it before, I have a 1080p monitor, and if I try to go fullscreen I'll get blurry resolution and my rtss overlay will look blurred, downsampling is the same, but if I set my monitor's resolution to a higher one (not using DSR, I'm using the old school customized resolution method), the full screen will look right, infact the game doesn't try to change my resolution if I do it that way, it stretches whatever it's rendered into fullscreen instead of scaling/messing it up, maybe that's why it worked for me.

Also I've messed around with alt-enter before and it sometimes would do some weird things, like the game went into borderless window mode once or twice (I assume that's what it was because the option still say window mode) or it flashes like crazy and crash, etc.

BriGuy

Oh my god has anyone gotten to this part?

Spoiler for fairly early on:
The part where you climb up the deactivated goliath and fight the rogue androids

The game turns into a literal slideshow anywhere near this thing. Hitching so bad the FPS drops to 30 average. And not even a consistent 30, the game will actually take like 1/3 of a second to get a frame out, go back to 60 for another half second, then just tank again constantly over and over.

i7 6700K OC 4.6GHz
GTX1080
16GB DDR4

Has anyone else come across this?
Brutal.

This is the area where performance goes to shit on the PS4 Pro and the part of the game I was waiting to hear impressions on before double dipping for the PC version. I have the same set up with a 980ti, so it sounds like I have my answer :(

EatChildren

That is odd. There's no need for Borderless Gaming if it's running like that, but I don't know what could cause a windowed mode application to appear borderless on its own.

Do you have a 1440p monitor? You're not the first I've seen here with no issues on that res.=

Yep, 1440p. And that's why I asked. I know what borderless windowed is, but given the encouragement to use it I found myself baffled when I seem to have the desired rendering with the windowed option. G-sync, native resolution, no header nor ratio warping, strong performance (cutscenes aside). Maybe a Windows 10 goof?

Glad Kaldaien has taken an interest with this game. Love his work with the Tales series in PC. Hopefully he or whoever worked in this port come up with a fix.

Seems promising if he's already on board.

Is he on Gaf? He deserves a Gaf account with a tag right out of the gate.

Paragon

I'm reading so many conflicting things about this, it's really confusing.
I'm interested in the game but I'm still trying to figure out if the port is adequet enough to warrant the 59,99€ price tag.
Some people say use DSR to upscale instead of borderless gaming. Other say set your display scaling to "fullscreen" in the NV control panel.
Fullscreen mode is not working correctly right now.
If you set the NVIDIA Control Panel to scale the image to fill the screen instead of preserving aspect ratio or no scaling, you get a fullscreen image but it's not being displayed correctly.
It does actually seem like the game is being rendered at the selected resolution, it's just not being output correctly and you get a blurred image.

If you use windowed mode, and then use a tool like Borderless Gaming to make that fill the screen, you get 1:1 pixel mapping (assuming the game resolution matches the desktop resolution) and the game looks nice and sharp instead of being blurred.

I'm not sure what you mean about people using DSR "to upscale instead of borderless gaming".
DSR is a tool for downscaling the image from a higher resolution than your display natively supports; e.g. render 4K on a 1080p screen.
This can be used in either windowed or fullscreen mode.
In windowed mode, you have to manually change your desktop resolution to match the game rendering resolution.
Fullscreen mode should automatically set the desktop resolution to match.
Using DSR does not fix the issue with Nier's fullscreen mode not outputting correctly though. The image is still being output incorrectly and ends up being blurred.

I really feel like there's something wrong with the way the game's engine handled fullscreen mode/change resolution depends on your monitor and its resolution, I've mentioned it before, I have a 1080p monitor, and if I try to go fullscreen I'll get blurry resolution and my rtss overlay will look blurred, downsampling is the same, but if I set my monitor's resolution to a higher one (not using DSR, I'm using the old school customized resolution method), the full screen will look right, infact the game doesn't try to change my resolution if I do it that way, it stretches whatever it's rendered into fullscreen instead of scaling/messing it up, maybe that's why it worked for me.
The game probably also switched out of fullscreen mode when you changed resolution.
I've noticed that happen quite a bit in my testing. You change one graphical option and suddenly it's back in windowed mode.

jacobeid

Banned
Reading these reports is so disappointing. I don't think my 970/6700k/16gb ram setup will be able to handle this without tweaking, which I just don't want to do. Might just settle for a PS4 copy...

Reading these reports is so disappointing. I don't think my 970/6700k/16gb ram setup will be able to handle this without tweaking, which I just don't want to do. Might just settle for a PS4 copy...

People with 970 have been playing it at nearly locked 60fps though. It can't be worse than PS4 Pro on such a setup.

Zafir

970 can run it okay at 1080p/60FPS with some minor drops.

Anything higher than 1080p and it just really struggles. As I said previously in this thread, at my native resolution of 1440p, I can't get the game to go any higher than 45FPS even with all settings on low/off. Most of the graphical options don't give much performance back.

jacobeid

Banned
People with 970 have been playing it at nearly locked 60fps though. It can't be worse than PS4 Pro on such a setup.

Anything higher than 1080p and it just really struggles. As I said previously in this thread, at my native resolution of 1440p, I can't get the game to go any higher than 45FPS even with all settings on low/off. Most of the graphical options don't give much performance back.

I'm more concerned about the cutscene bug and pop in issues that I don't think I would have on PS4? I might just buy it on Steam and refund it if it runs poorly.

My monitor is only 1080p so that's all I would be pushing.

Hm I think I'll just get the PS4 Pro version in that case. GTX 970 (with i5 4670k@4Ghz) and 1440p here too. Looks like I might as well just hunt some trophies on console.

Gbraga

I think I'll get a 1060 after I'm done with Persona 5 so I can play this. It should be enough for 1080p, or 900p if I have to go that low, right?

EatChildren

Really happy with the visuals.

1tykr4.png

t1gerjaw

I'm really sad about this game.

No matter what I do, I just can't get a stable framerate, tried putting on low settings, medium, custom, there will always be drops, ALWAYS.

Best config that I could get working was fullscreen + 2x AA, it stays around 60-50, but it's not good. Should have bought this on PS4 :(

Steam denied my refund request because I played around 8 hours.

My laptop has a GTX 1060, i7 6700HQ and 8GB RAM.

I just don't know what to do.

Braag

Fullscreen mode is not working correctly right now.
If you set the NVIDIA Control Panel to scale the image to fill the screen instead of preserving aspect ratio or no scaling, you get a fullscreen image but it's not being displayed correctly.
It does actually seem like the game is being rendered at the selected resolution, it's just not being output correctly and you get a blurred image.

If you use windowed mode, and then use a tool like Borderless Gaming to make that fill the screen, you get 1:1 pixel mapping (assuming the game resolution matches the desktop resolution) and the game looks nice and sharp instead of being blurred.

I'm not sure what you mean about people using DSR "to upscale instead of borderless gaming".
DSR is a tool for downscaling the image from a higher resolution than your display natively supports; e.g. render 4K on a 1080p screen.
This can be used in either windowed or fullscreen mode.
In windowed mode, you have to manually change your desktop resolution to match the game rendering resolution.
Fullscreen mode should automatically set the desktop resolution to match.
Using DSR does not fix the issue with Nier's fullscreen mode not outputting correctly though. The image is still being output incorrectly and ends up being blurred.

I see, thanks for the info.

Shame about the cutscenes being choppy as well :/
I think I'm gonna wait and see if they patch this stuff.

napata

No matter what I do, I just can't get a stable framerate, tried putting on low settings, medium, custom, there will always be drops, ALWAYS.

Best config that I could get working was fullscreen + 2x AA, it stays around 60-50, but it's not good. Should have bought this on PS4 :(

It's a lot worse than that on PS4.

Cramoss

PS4 drops to 40s sometimes with lower settings than yours.

Stick to this, try to forget about it and enjoy it, or you could wait for a fix/patch.

Dinjoralo

Something kinda weird I noticed: Even though I disabled Ambient Occlusion, the game still seems to be using some form of it. I saw it in that cutscene with
the freaky human machine.

brau

So any insight as to why we get suttering prerendered cutscenes? Its driving me nuts.

Reshade + borderless gaming solved my issues so far, even if i can't 4k this its running on max settings with no AA or AO but through reshade. Looks better too. But the cutscenes just keep stuttering.

Exentryk

I can't run reshade for some reason. When I try to start the game with reshade installed, it gives an unexpected error and the game closes down. =/

Zomba13

Well, looks like when I play in a window I actually do get the White Screen crash. Does seem related to the graphics card drivers or something because the screen flickered like it does when the Nvidia drivers crash and get restarted. Guess I never noticed it while fullscreen because it was full screen.

So yeah, game is unplayable for me. Yay.

EDIT: And now weirdly it's back to working fine while windowed. Or at leats it's been going for like 50 minutes with no crash.

dragn

2560x1080p with 390/6700k, ao on + aa off. almost all the time 59-60 fps but frametimes arent stable like going above 20 for no reason when standing still

ultrawide support is nice tho

Top Bottom