• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For March 2017 [Up2: Year to date charts, platform specific charts]

Toni

It released in March. Those are insane numbers for a non-holiday month and a supply-constrained system.

Oh, 2nd highest debut is a positive indication of healthy sales in the long term, but its better to wait 5 to 8 months to see where it lands sales-wise when compared to Xbox and PS4 monthly.

PS4 and Xbox One where pretty front loaded in sales.

They had a really great pitch of four player co-op military GTA.

Had they delivered a game that was, you know, better, I could easily see it having been a 10-15+ million copy title.

Well they can always try and fix it up but Ubi is a hit or miss when it comes to that .
When you look at it there games could do so good in the long run but they mess up the first few months.
Which then hurt the legs overall.

Jawmuncher

Good to see RE7 going strong this year, plus a couple of new IPs making the list. And Nier in March is nice too. Videogames are good right now.

RE7 still might miss its 4 million goal even with this data thus far. But at least it was profitable and RE8 is already confirmed. Holders won't be happy to see another fiscal year with under-performing titles compared to their estimates though. If there's one thing capcom needs right now it's for one of their major (that isn't monhun) IPs to be above expectations. Especially after SFV.

Hero

Somebody didn't get the reference.

The thread with Switch having the biggest launch for a Nintendo console in the US and Zelda having a 100% attach rate had many people downplaying the figures.

Oh yeah, it definitely did. I just wasn't familiar with you so I didn't detect the sarcasm. I was like "Eh??"

Going forward, I'll be putting the year to date and trailing twelve month charts in the top part along with the monthly results, and platform specific charts in the Other Information section, since the first three are the general industry, and the others are specific interest items.

They had a really great pitch of four player co-op military GTA.

Had they delivered a game that was, you know, better, I could easily see it having been a 10-15+ million copy title.

Were you guys aware of the NPD rep this time around? Top 20 is awesome and I like all this other data too. Gone are the glory days of number dumping but this works too.

That will be next year. This year will be against 2009 with X360. X360 had rather abnormal life in terms of peak sales.

Yeah. Great launch is of course very positive sign but for longer term you need more data to predict and see just how successful the product will be.

Ah, wow, one more year and Xbox One is already lagging behind?

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
We don't get a list of individual SKUs anymore, do we? (i.e. games by platform and not combined together).

What's the order of difference between 1 and 2? Anyone know?

ggx2ac

Oh yeah, it definitely did. I just wasn't familiar with you so I didn't detect the sarcasm. I was like "Eh??"

I'm going to be very curious about Switch numbers in April since it is no longer launch and it is still a non-holiday period.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Bleck, people giving money to Konami. Aside from that, really diverse list on the charts. I wonder how long before the big third parties will give nintendo another shot (if bomberman can chart).

It depends.

In Japan: They are probably scrambling behind the scenes to get stuff on ASAP.
In NA/EU/Aus: They are probably looking to see if the switch will continue selling well before even considering ports, forget original big budget IP's

manfestival

I remember when there were wars started over these threads and the gifs that trolled everyone over all that was posted. Good times

Hero

I'm going to be very curious about Switch numbers in April since it is no longer launch and it is still a non-holiday period.

Yeah, it's obviously going to drop, the question is how much? At least 50% is what I imagine. Not sure how stock has been considering I've only seen them in stock at one Wal-Mart.

The Andromeda's launch relative to the other MEs is interesting. I remember during the first few days of its release, EA made a statement saying it was the third best launch in franchise history, meaning it launched lower than ME2 and ME3.

Now however, it has beat ME2's launch numbers. I wonder if word of mouth for the game is much more positive outside of hardcore gamer spaces?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
No it is not an error. Currently Switch is the No. 2 debut platform since our records (1995) beating the XBO.

Whoa, congrats Nintendo! :D

I will jump on the switch train soon, just waiting for more Japanese RPG's and for it to be not bought in a mad rush every time it goes on retail. I am starting to think this isn't going to happen until 2018, at least in the United States.

OK Horizon Zero Dawn doing over 650k physical is damn impressive. Like for an exclusive new IP it's fucking spectacular there's no way to spin that.

With digital it is likely in the 850k - 950k range. Fantastic

The Andromeda's launch relative to the other MEs is interesting. I remember during the first few days of its release, EA made a statement saying it was the third best launch in franchise history, meaning it launched lower than ME2 and ME3.

Now however, it has beat ME2's launch numbers. I wonder if word of mouth for the game is much more positive outside of hardcore gamer spaces?

That was the UK launch. Nothing changed there it was the 3rd best launch.

In the US it's the 2nd

Edit - oops sorry for the back to back posts

Unknown?

OK Horizon Zero Dawn doing over 650k physical is damn impressive. Like for an exclusive new IP it's fucking spectacular there's no way to spin that.

With digital it is likely in the 850k - 950k range. Fantastic
Yeah that is! MLB is also impressive being right on its heels. MLB always does great but doesn't get talked about much on enthusiast forums.

Unknown?

So HZD sold 600k in an entire month...

>200k Germany
>200k UK
>200k Japan
>600k USA

That's ~1350k in a month but it supposedly sold 3M in two weeks LOL, not buying it.
Yeah they just lied. 600k is physical with no digital and it sold a crap ton last NPD too. So are those other country numbers.

Erm... I fell for the bait dang it!!

Luigiv

We don't get a list of individual SKUs anymore, do we? (i.e. games by platform and not combined together).
There are platform specific charts in the OP but if you meant a single chart that ranks games for all platforms as individual SKUs then no, no we don't.

We could guess, though, given the available dat. Personally I'd peg the top 8 (excluding PC) as:

1. Wildlands PS4
2. Wildlands XBO
3. Zelda NSW
4. Horizon Zero Dawn PS4
5. Mass Effect PS4
6. Mass Effect XBO
7. Zelda Wii U
8. MLB PS4

Or something to that effect. I'm pretty confident with Horizon at number 4 and MLB at 8, but the exact order of top 3 and 4-6 are a bit more speculative.

Edit: Actually giving it some more though, Zelda U most like did out sell both SKUs of Mass Effect individually, given we know Zelda U is over 400k but Mass Effect would have done noticeably less than 600k combined. Top 3 is still a total ass pull though, since we have no idea how it actually did (I'm guessing over 2m, but I could be way off).

Edit 2: Oops I got Mass effect and Horizon back to front on the overall charts. Mass Effect combined should be over 600k not under, so it's likely that at least one though probably both SKUs outsold Zelda U.

What's the order of difference between 1 and 2? Anyone know?
Nope, Ubisoft hasn't said a word yet. I guess we could try and infer it going by the 12 month chart but that strikes me as a lot of work.

Fuchsdh

Glad to hear Xbox digital sales are going to be included. Been annoying not getting an accurate picture as the market shifts. But does that mean no one else's digital sales are included, or have they been for a while and I missed it?

Sandfox

Bomberman coming back from the dead is the most surprising thing here and has me wondering how the Sonic games will perform given past performance on Nintendo platforms.

Capcom should've prepared a Mega Man game.

_Clash_

Has Horizon done well enough to get a sequel starring Aloy?

I'm curious if they're happy with launching late feb, it seems sales have been solid but maybe not smashing internal forecasts?

I'm curious if they're happy with launching late feb, it seems sales have been solid but maybe not smashing internal forecasts?

It has done great for a new IP on one platform .
Some people in this thread are crazy .
Other than TLOU it's Sony best selling new IP in years .
Even better since the sales early so they get more money on it.

As for Aloy that would depend on where GG want to take the story .
Like others i hope we see her again in part 2 and upcoming DLC.

Toni

People calling underwhelming sales to what is one if the best new Ip's in a multitide of years is subpar shit.

Bomberman coming back from the dead is the most surprising thing here and has me wondering how the Sonic games will perform given past performance on Nintendo platforms.

Capcom should've prepared a Mega Man game.
It'll probably be slightly altered on a technical level that causes GAF to poo-poo that version...and it will go on to outsell the other two by a factor of 2:1.

Luigiv

Yes, absolutely. According to Sony's internal tracking it's there best ever launch of a new IP (and I believe second best launch overall after Uncharted 4). Sony will be more than happy with the numbers and I'm sure Guerilla is itching to get working on Horizon 2 as their next game.

Top Bottom