• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2017 (Apr 24 - Apr 30)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
For those interested this what the guy from the NPD said.

Unit sales were down in 2016 vs 2015, so we potentially hit the peak for both PS4 and Xone in the third calendar year (2015). Same thing happened with Wii and PS2.

Last gen had the Dance/Music craze followed by motion control gaming which made calendar year 7 the peak year for X360 and calendar year 6 the peak year for PS3. I don't expect that to happen again.
Since the pro didn't drive year on year growth for the PS4 in 2016 in the US Scorpio probably won't be able to this year but at a reasonably steady level of sales 50 mill ish lifetime should be doable.

sinonobu

Banned
New Vita 2 Rumor that everyone has been waiting for!!!!

http://bbs.a9vg.com/thread-5216044-1-1.html

Name is PSE, it's basically PS4 portable.

It is Nintendo Switch's rival console, and the display will be 720p!

Gameplay will be 720p 30fps/60fps, when used docked mode 900p. (dock will cost 59 dollars)

Playing 60-70gbs on handheld will be difficult so it will use compressed data from outside!

Code name is Transformacjja and developers don't need to do extra patch to run PS4 game on it!

This is just sad.

KtSlime

Gameplay will be 720p 30fps/60fps, when used docked mode 900p. (dock will cost 59 dollars)

Playing 60-70gbs on handheld will be difficult so it will use compressed data from outside!

Code name is Transformacjja and developers don't need to do extra patch to run PS4 game on it!

This is just sad.

I bet there will be people that will believe this rumor.

PS: You can read Chinese? I'm too lazy to learn. LOL.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

This is just sad.

Where do you find this stuff? The PlayStation Vita support group?

This is just sad.

Finally MH5 platform announced

Oregano

This is just sad.

OMG! Needs its own thread! With this much smoke there has to be fire!

/s

Passose

Banned

This is just sad.
Nintendo and the switch are doomed, Sony is going to dominate both handheld and home console markets. It's over

Kanann

This is just sad.

Nintendo is doomed.

zeromcd73

Speaking of non-existent things, couldn't find any Switch's at all this weekend. I try to check every day but nothing all week around me except on Tuesday.

Yodobashi was holding a Mario Kart 8D event today which had garnered a lot of attention.

tolkir

This is just sad.

So, Sony is marketing 4K and VR with PS4 only to get back to 720p.
Justaccordingtokeikaku.jpg.
Edit: keikaku means plan.

Passose

Banned
Sony is gonna buy Nintendo in 2020, imagine playing Zelda and Pokemon on the PS5 and PSE2, it's gonna be glorious, dualshock-con boyz

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Now the lack of announcements for Switch makes more sense

BTW in HK switch seemed to be pretty popular
In the Golden arcade there were few units available, many people asking or buying, accessories popular too, billboards across the city

Zelda amiibo sold out even there unfortunately

KtSlime

I can, but this is translated by someone else!

Nice, did it take long to learn? (The character look for the most part close enough to Japanese)

Speaking of non-existent things, couldn't find any Switch's at all this weekend. I try to check every day but nothing all week around me except on Tuesday.

Yodobashi was holding a Mario Kart 8D event today which had garnered a lot of attention.
I saw two over in Western Tokyo on Friday, but they were gone today.

Sony is gonna buy Nintendo in 2020, imagine playing Zelda and Pokemon on the PS5 and PSE2, it's gonna be glorious, dualshock-con boyz

(Sony has damaged themselves so bad that they can't actually afford Nintendo)

Passose

Banned
Now the lack of announcements for Switch makes more sense

BTW in HK switch seemed to be pretty popular
In the Golden arcade there were few units available, many people asking or buying, accessories popular too, billboards across the city

Zelda amiibo sold out even there unfortunately
I thought Hong Kong has always been Sony wonderland( I mean I have some friends who live in Hong Kong, all of them who play video games always use playstation at their consoles of choice)

Don't see why Sony would bother when PS4 is dominating worldwide. Investing in another platform in a sector that has collapsed and continues to decrease, and taking resources away from a wildly successful platform makes little sense.

Even if you were going to from the games angle, PS4 is getting the lions share of Japanese third party games, in fact its currently the most supported platform by Japanese third parties.

Unless they treat it like a PS4 accessory, PS4P, but is tech even mature enough to allow that to happen. I doubt it.

He's talking about selling 45 million outside of their respective domestic markets (Japan for 3DS, the US for the Xbox One). Will the Xbox One sell 45 million units outside of the United States? I doubt that too.

The post said outside of Japan...thats right XB1 will likely sell the same as 3DS outside Japan.

For those interested this what the guy from the NPD said.

Since the pro didn't drive year on year growth for the PS4 in 2016 in the US Scorpio probably won't be able to this year but at a reasonably steady level of sales 50 mill ish lifetime should be doable.

PS4 was up YoY globally in 2016. Honestly think 2017 could be the peak as the software just seems to be stronger. If only FF7R could make it for its anniversary ;___;

The only thing i could imagine them trying would be a low-ish cost streaming only device, would likely be a complete failure though

casiopao

This is just sad.

Switch dominance is short. SAD.T_T

ggx2ac

PS4 was up YoY globally in 2016. Honestly think 2017 could be the peak as the software just seems to be stronger. If only FF7R could make it for its anniversary ;___;

I've seen this thrown out a lot during the NPD thread but that's having the PS4 surpass the Wii to do that.

Wii peaked out in sales as mentioned in the quote on its third calendar year, if PS4 supposedly has a peak this year and ships more than 20 million worldwide, then forget seeing if it will hit 100 million worldwide at its end of life, we may as well be asking if it will surpass the PS2 lifetime sales.

Sony already launched its Slim and Pro PS4 last year, for the PS4 to peak this year means that all those AAA titles people have mentioned coming out this year would have to have mass appeal to get people to buy a PS4.

It's hard to see that when games like Destiny 2 and Star Wars Battlefront 2 are sequels of games already available on the PS4. How can we be so certain they'll sell to people who don't​ own a PS4 as opposed to selling to the current userbase?

Maybe price cuts during the holidays will help entice people, who knows if that will be enough to surpass 20 million.

gtx990

Neo Member

This is just sad.

I can read Chinese.
A9VG is the biggest sony fanboy forum in China, and it's as reliable as reddit. And the evidence they put up is just E3's 3 is not the normal size. So...

enishi

I bet there will be people that will believe this rumor.

PS: You can read Chinese? I'm too lazy to learn. LOL.

As I am from Hong Kong, it is nearly native for me (traditional vs simplified chinese)
- name Playstation E
- based on X86 architecture, low-end version of PS4 GFX
- compatible to PS4 software
- 720P 30/60 fps for handheld mode, 900P for dock mode
- Software compressed to store in Transflash (i.e. microSD)

Based on pt 2 alone, I don't believe this rumor, unless it is a full-size notebook like surface book. Or AMD does magic to their processor with power consumption <6W, which they refused to put in Ryzen

And the name was only based on the E3 presentation ad (with a big E -> Playstation E). Actually the ad design is same as last year...

As I am from Hong Kong, it is nearly native for me (traditional vs simplified chinese)
- name Playstation E

Based on pt 2 alone, I don't believe this rumor, unless it is a full-size notebook like surface book. Or AMD does magic to their processor with power consumption <6W, which they refused to put in Ryzen

This seems pretty crazy

I think I would be a very happy man if it was real

- name Playstation E

And the name was only based on the E3 presentation ad (with a big E -> Playstation E). Actually the ad design is same as last year...

Hahahahahaha an x86 handheld, they got to come up with something a bit less ridiculous if they want people to fall for it

Luigiv

- name Playstation E

Yep, pretty much confirmed BS with that. No such low powered AMD architecture exists that could realistically pull this off. Rather than being a "handheld PS4", shit would actually be weaker than the Switch.

Eolz

I don't think it's really worth discussing seriously this...
We got already several "dream" threads about this kind of stuff here, it's just not doable at this point in time (price, heat/size, specs...). And as several said several times, and as we can see in all markets, Sony is done with handheld formats.

We're all itching for Media Create to put their numbers up.

Just like how Sony are itching to put 6GB of LPDDR4X RAM in the Vita 2, but costs may force them to go with 4GB LPDDR3.

Oregano

We got already several "dream" threads about this kind of stuff here, it's just not doable at this point in time (price, heat/size, specs...). And as several said several times, and as we can see in all markets, Sony is done with handheld formats.

They're just laying low and waiting for the perfect time to strike and take Nintendo out of the equation once and for all. You'll see when we're playing Mario Kart 9 on the PS5 Portable.

yeah the only way i could see them revisiting portable is if they shifted away from the high end market and VR

i thought they dropped portables because they were spread too thin as it is

A nee sony portable seems nuts after how they fucked Vita over multiple times

Oregano

yeah the only way i could see them revisiting portable is if they shifted away from the high end market and VR

i thought they dropped portables because they were spread too thin as it is

A nee sony portable seems nuts after how they fucked Vita over multiple times

Don't worry they didn't really close all those Vita studios. They were just quietly working on software for its successor.

^
I'll be legit mad if Sony axe Bend Studio if their PS4 zombie game flops. they could have spent all that time making Syphon Filter for Vita.

As an aside, will MC be over or under Famitsu's Switch figures?

Don't worry they didn't really close all those Vita studios. They were just quietly working on software for its successor.

e3 isnt far away and we had trinity fake rumors getting people all pumped up last year

im just gonna forget about it and watch e3 and see what they are really up to

Principate

Saint Titanfall
They're just laying low and waiting for the perfect time to strike and take Nintendo out of the equation once and for all. You'll see when we're playing Mario Kart 9 on the PS5 Portable.

The funniest thing bout these rumours is that even in the absolute best case scenario I honestly can't see them matching Nintendo in the portable space. It's all well and good having the specs but 3rd parties have to actually develop for the thing. If the thing doesn't sell on it's own merit 3rd parties won't come (it's the successor to the vita after all). Sony don't have the IP's that sell in the portable space and it's developer's don't even like developing games for handhelds in the first place. And that's if it was possible to make a portable PS4.

enishi

I thought Hong Kong has always been Sony wonderland( I mean I have some friends who live in Hong Kong, all of them who play video games always use playstation at their consoles of choice)

Basically Sony and Microsoft have a lot of support (events, promotion, software support) here since PS2/Xbox era. Nintendo HK is non-existence except in early of Wii age.

With Western games are playing more important role, Playstation is still the leader here.

At least Switch is a hot item here right now, many friends of mine have bought a new Nintendo machine since Wii. But it is likely a trendy item unless Nintendo really stands out and gives us more support in long term.

Top Bottom