• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy Launching August 22, $39.99

Falling for massive hype trains including reviewers can lead to giving higher scores than they would, i bet if they re-reviewed it now it'll be below 80
Anyways I'm good I'm better off watching this interactive movie in YouTube and not feel like i lost or missed out on anything not playing it myself like with other games.
All this is more suited for The Last of Us. O find it's more acceptable for that and i would buy it since it's good with it. But Uncharted? The once fun Indiana Jones like action game to a boring interactive movie? Nooope.

You have got absolutely no way of verifying that assumption so it seems pointless. Having said that, I highly doubt it. What other cinematic linear games have matched U4 this gen. For me it was the fire fights that pissed me off while enjoyed the explorationg, traversal, and amazing vistas most. Hopefully they get rid of bullet sponge enemies with perfect shots, for smarter AI.

thumb

Banned
Falling for massive hype trains including reviewers can lead to giving higher scores than they would, i bet if they re-reviewed it now it'll be below 80
Anyways I'm good I'm better off watching this interactive movie in YouTube and not feel like i lost or missed out on anything not playing it myself like with other games.
All this is more suited for The Last of Us. O find it's more acceptable for that and i would buy it since it's good with it. But Uncharted? The once fun Indiana Jones like action game to a boring interactive movie? Nooope.

I had my own issues with U4, but I don't think it's fair to dismiss near-universal critical acclaim as falling for hype. It would be better to engage with the content of the reviews, rather than decide that people would come around to your way thinking on a second playthrough.

I was mostly referring to the userscore there my friend. You said that there were a lot of disappointed people out there. The userscore does not reflect that whatsoever.

ShutterMunster

I agree about the setpieces. Uncharted 4 also had many more intimiate setpieces, scaled down but still a scripted gameplay sequence in the same vein, like the car one while exploring Madagascar. That was pretty cool. I didn't mind the amount of setpieces at all. Uncharted 3 was hurt by having too many for the sake of having them, imo. Felt really forced.

I don't agree about the pacing at all, though. Like, I can agree with what you're saying in theory, especially since you're calling it bold, but the problem is not the concept of not having shooting. I'm not some moron who can only have fun when he's shooting at people. The problem is that the game itself failed at providing meaningful interaction outside of that. This has always been true for the series, but the standard of quality people expect from certain elements when they're simply downtime between action segments is much lower than when they become the meat of the experience. It's not that I hate platforming and exploration, it's that holding forward while Drake talks about how dangerous it is, is not exactly engaging. It has a distinct lack of player agency for too much of the game. I actually don't have an issue with the slow start at all, I was very much into it at first. It was around chapter 10 that the game lost me.

I can totally understand people who say they don't really care about that and loved it just because of the story, but in this case I'll be the one with the controversial opinion and say that I don't think that highly of the story at all. I don't hold it against Naughty Dog too much, because the whole premise just forces them into some convenient bullshit writing to make things work within the franchise, but it's still convenient bullshit writing. Being able to forgive it and to not believe it reflects on Druckmann's ability as a writer when it comes to Part II is different from actually enjoying it.

Agreed again about Chloe, she looks amazing. What the hell is SUS, though?

"SUS" is slang for suspect or suspicious.

If the narrative wasn't engaging to you than the pacing was bound to be problematic. I can't think of many AAA games that were more story dependent than Uncharted 4. Snake Eater and MGS4 had a lot of story but it was split into sections. Those games alternated between blocks of gameplay and blocks of narrative and the only time the gameplay sequences were interrupted (and they did feel like interruptions) by narrative was via codex calls. Uncharted weaves them so tightly into one another that if one side of that equation isn't resonating with you it's hard to just ignore.

I was invested in Nate's journey and curious about how they were going to wrap things up. I think they did an excellent job introducing Sam and their decision to keep his twist on the stick gave the reveal power that it wouldn't have had without it. The narrative isn't perfect—it's easy to see why Nadine is a part of this spinoff because she was woefully underutilized—but it is far from "convenient bullshit writing."

Another thing to note for my experience: I took over 1,000 photos during my first play through of Uncharted 4 (even got Neil to retweet a few of them :). I was always engaged with the world. I have never felt a stronger sense of place than I did during Uncharted 4 (VR experiences not included). Libertallia, in particular, was magnificent and left me in awe. The consistency of the art assets, the detail of the environments and the little stories tucked away inside of them was really impressive.

vpance

That's what they mean. Uncharted 4 had the most worst pacing, boring, lots of walking and talking, lots of climbing, terrible replayability. Better off just watching this movie in YouTube with minimal gameplay.
Please go back to proper fun action games like Uncharted 2. I was really disappointed by Uncharted 4 and many others too not on GAF. If it really is like Uncharted 4 ima pass not much different than Movie i means Order 1886

Agreed. I tried to replay this recently and I had to close it down with the quickness after the first climbing segment. Too much PTSD.

Not worth the effort. Game doesn't even look that good anymore after playing Horizon, hehe.

Gbraga

"SUS" is slang for suspect or suspicious.

If the narrative wasn't engaging to you than the pacing was bound to be problematic. I can't think of many AAA games that were more story dependent than Uncharted 4. Snake Eater and MGS4 had a lot of story but it was split into sections. Those games alternated between blocks of gameplay and blocks of narrative and the only time the gameplay sequences were interrupted (and they did feel like interruptions) by narrative was via codex calls. Uncharted weaves them so tightly into one another that if one side of that equation isn't resonating with you it's hard to just ignore.

I was invested in Nate's journey and curious about how they were going to wrap things up. I think they did an excellent job introducing Sam and their decision to keep his twist on the stick gave the reveal power that it wouldn't have had without it. The narrative isn't perfect—it's easy to see why Nadine is a part of this spinoff because she was woefully underutilized—but it is far from "convenient bullshit writing."

Another thing to note for my experience: I took over 1,000 photos during my first play through of Uncharted 4 (even got Neil to retweet a few of them :). I was always engaged with the world. I have never felt a stronger sense of place than I did during Uncharted 4 (VR experiences not included). Libertallia, in particular, was magnificent and left me in awe. The consistency of the art assets, the detail of the environments and the little stories tucked away inside of them was really impressive.

The twist is BRILLIANT. The game's most outstanding moment when it comes to merging narrative and gameplay, for sure.

I don't know about being suspect, people are just always reluctant to change. Everyone accepts it by now, but I distinctively remember people complaining about how different Nate was in 4 during early trailers as well, and specifically me defending it by saying that I thought it was cool that he looked a bit more like North.

Uncharted 4 is ridiculously gorgeous and perfectly good for a first playthrough, but I think it's telling that Uncharted 2 saved the peaceful-walk-and-talk thing for *just* it's brilliant Tibetan village sequence (which absolutely serves the pacing of the game). It's tough to replay it, though.

That said, the 'wide linear' thing worked beautifully, as did the improvements to combat, traversal, and stealth (though I fear that sometimes those quality-of-life improvements also led to throwing a greater number of enemies at Nate). I definitely don't want enemy tagging in The Last of Us 2 (and my feelings are mixed on Stealth Grass), but otherwise there's a lot of stuff Uncharted 4 did that I'm excited to see implemented in the other franchise.

Likewise, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see The Lost Legacy go out on a balls-out fun note.

Blader

Can't wait for it.

I've never actually played the first Jak & Daxter, at least not for more than maybe an hour. Is it worth it? Still hold up? I disliked Jak II and thought 3 was okay, but I remember the original being more of a straight platformer than the sequels were.

Didn't U4 win GAF's GOTY ?

Seems like the hate is a case of
L O U D M I N O R I T Y

UC4 won the most GOTYs of any game last year, critics and readers. Well deserved too.

Some people just can't reconcile their opinion being at odds with the larger critical and customer reception.

Which is odd to me but eh. Plenty of games I don't like as much that have gotten great reviews but I'm not going crazy over them (BotW being a recent example).

sackninja

I just played it for the first time, almost a year from the hype and having spent a year listening to gaf complain its boring. I was really worried they were going to be right, that it was going to be disappointing. It's still a ten.

Also if anything, Uncharted 4 is more like Indiana Jones than the first three.

UC4 won the most GOTYs of any game last year, critics and readers. Well deserved too.

Some people just can't reconcile their opinion being at odds with the larger critical and customer reception.

Which is odd to me but eh. Plenty of games I don't like as much that have gotten great reviews but I'm not going crazy over them (BotW being a recent example).

Are you sure it's UC4's detectors that can't reconcile their deviation from the mainstream, or is it that you can't accept that?

Ever since the game came out, I've seen you complain about people who didn't like and/or were disappointed by it merely voicing those opinions. It's as if you can't understand how the way UC4 uses climbing would be a turn off for some, even for series fans. The most I recall you conceded is that "(x issue with the game) didn't bother me." ... Okay?

You have displayed the very behavior you lambasted for a year; fervently going crazy on defense of the game without even honoring the idea that the game is flawed, even in regard to what the devs set out to do. Instead of writing off any and all criticism, try not to do what you preach against.

Ricky_R

tenor.gif

Shin-Ra

Damn dude. You're sweating them way too hard. They said its around 10 hours. The season pass was $24.99. They took it down and now put up the physical for $15 more. Thats not cool.
The Uncharted 4 story DLC was originally planned to be smaller like The Last of Us LEFT BEHIND. That's why season pass owners get it cheap.

TLL grew into a larger, more open game that's a standalone game at launch.

What's really uncool is expecting Jak as well for that reduced price.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Very excited about this. And I get the Precursor Legacy for ore-ordering? Nice!

I don't remember if I bought the season pass for UC4, so I'll assume no and pre-order this. And I am in love with Claudia Black's voice. I want her to read me bedtime stories. Chloe and Nadine are both awesome, and it's so cool to see two women of color as leads on such a high profile IP. I also didn't know it would be sold stand alone. I hadn't been following the game after the reveal. August is a good period as well.

Auctopus

The Uncharted 4 story DLC was originally planned to be smaller like The Last of Us LEFT BEHIND. That's why season pass owners get it cheap.

They even put a warning on their Twitter and PS' Twitter that the Season Pass was soon going to go up in price/become unavailable. They knew that people who had bought the Season Pass already were going to save money.

Are you sure it's UC4's detectors that can't reconcile their deviation from the mainstream, or is it that you can't accept that?

Ever since the game came out, I've seen you complain about people who didn't like and/or were disappointed by it merely voicing those opinions. It's as if you can't understand how the way UC4 uses climbing would be a turn off for some, even for series fans. The most I recall you conceded is that "(x issue with the game) didn't bother me." ... Okay?

You have displayed the very behavior you lambasted for a year; fervently going crazy on defense of the game without even honoring the idea that the game is flawed, even in regard to what the devs set out to do. Instead of writing off any and all criticism, try not to do what you preach against.

Ummm... what?

Where have I complained about the simple act of people disliking the game? Would you like to point that out? Feverish defense of a game?

Do you even know what my post in this topic was about? Or are you just taking what you see and fitting your perception into it?

Don't confuse the issues. I have no issue with people disliking UC4. And I'm not so foolish or stupid as to act that my personal preferences to a game means that other people's criticisms are not valid.

I posted in the UC4 thread and had what I consider, fairly rational and reasonable debate for the most part. Sorry I don't think posts in that thread and in other threads that amount to "oh this is just hype, wait until later for it to die out" or "this is the honeymoon phase" warrant much outside of laughter at them when said game goes on to win tons of GOTY awards.

So, yes, I'm not sure what your point here is. That's why I brought up BotW in the context of the post I did. I may not like that game as much as others but I'm not going into threads and making dumb posts like "wait until the hype dies down, then you'll see BotW for the poorly constructed game it is."

I can very safely reconcile that my opinion of the game, my adventure in BotW and my issues with it aren't things that others or even most people will have issues with. I just don't need to deject praise or prop up irrelevant criticism to get my point across (e.g. media got paid off, this is just the honeymoon phase and all that BS).

What a lame post, sheez. You replied to him pointing out that there are, factually speaking, far more people who liked Uncharted 4 than there are people who didn't with some borderline stalker-ish character study.

Didn't U4 win GAF's GOTY ?

Seems like the hate is a case of
L O U D M I N O R I T Y

And not just on GAF. It won the BAFTA for GotY just about a week ago.

I mean, it's fine to criticize it, but saying "it's a movie, not a game LOL" is bad criticism and not even remotely true either. 4 has more focus on story, yes, but it's also te most refined game in the series mechanically. The wide linear spaces used for the driving sequences and combat are great additions in my opinion.

Skeeter49

Never got the hate for the combat. There was less combat in 4, but most combat encounters felt meaningful and designed better than any Uncharted game prior.
One thing that bugged me was that charged melee hit being a multiplayer exclusive move.

FrankWza

TLL grew into a larger, more open game that's a standalone game at launch.

What's really uncool is expecting Jak as well for that reduced price.

Its a preorder bonus. What about those that dont preorder? Is the price dropping to $29.99 on august 23rd?
And this is my entire point. Theyre milking it because its more thanit was supposed to be so they're jacking up the price on most of the sales theyll end up getting.

They even put a warning on their Twitter and PS' Twitter that the Season Pass was soon going to go up in price/become unavailable. They knew that people who had bought the Season Pass already were going to save money.

What about those that want physical copies? And theyre not saving money hahaha. Thats way too positive a spin.

Well shit, if Metacritic says it, it must be true!

What? It obviously serves well to ascertain what's generally agreed upon in the public. If some large subsection of people has some kind of hate-boner for this game, they'll let it know on there. The fact that the vast majority of user scores, let alone the reviews, are entirely positive should give you enough of a hint.

Gorillaz

Hoping this has better setpieces then 4. Other then the big chase one the game lacked any sort of grandiose moments. Way to restrained

Lady Gaia

Hoping this has better setpieces then 4. Other then the big chase one the game lacked any sort of grandiose moments. Way to restrained

Climbing the clock tower (or perhaps more specifically, coming down again) was a wonderfully memorable and bombastic sequence.

Mar Nosso

Banned
Can't wait for it.

I've never actually played the first Jak & Daxter, at least not for more than maybe an hour. Is it worth it? Still hold up? I disliked Jak II and thought 3 was okay, but I remember the original being more of a straight platformer than the sequels were.

Best out of the 3. Introduction of weapons was a shit decision that removed the fun and the whimsicality of the first game.

TP-DK

Probably already mentioned, but on the store page it mentions the need of ps plus to access to online play. Will it have some form of coop or multiplayer?

Dabi

I ended up spoiling that set piece for myself before I got to play it. Hopefully they don't do a repeat and show the best set piece at E3 again.

Arondight

So wait - unique waterfall elements, spray, dynamic texturing on the water, layered alphas for nonlinear shifting mists, cloudlayers, custom cameras behaviors, seamless environmental audio and cramming it all in 16 mb of memory is lazy because it didn't include music?

Hmm.

Oh, Funny story by the way, I made the theme.

And I posted the video you linked. :)

I will be incredibly disappointed if we don't get to purchase this theme down the line. Environmental scenery is my thing and NO LOGO to ruin the scene it would be absolutely great to have.

Climbing the clock tower (or perhaps more specifically, coming down again) was a wonderfully memorable and bombastic sequence.

My favourite apart from the Chase scene would be the one where you get rocketed at the top of the tower, it collapses and you have to climb across and then eventually fight Nadine. I don't think the lack of setpieces overall was a problem than the lack of combat in general where often, it takes platforming and walking sections a bit too far particularly when it requires a huge amount of repetition and most shooting sections require platforming anyway not to mention combat is the best it's ever been to the point where in UC1 and UC3, I was begging the game to stop throwing combat scenarios while in this game, I wanted more.

Uncharted 4 PS4 PRO support was rushed. They promised The Lost Legacy to support the PS4 PRO better. Expect something similar to advanced 2160p checkerbaord like in Horizon Zero Dawn. That is why we got all The Lost Legacy trailers in 4K.
Expect the same for God Of War (which got included in dynamic 4K trailer) , Death Stranding and TLOU2 since both got 4K trailers too.

taizuke

With Uncharted Lost Legacy giving access to U4's multiplayer and survival mode will it feature the same trophies for those modes?

Lady Gaia

Between this, Ratchet and Clank, and Knack 2 does it feel like Sony is testing the market to see if enough additional sales accrue at $40 to make it a viable price point for more games? It's an interesting counterpoint to the trend toward $80 editions and $60 games filled with microtransactions.

shandy706

Glad I got this for $24.99 when Best Buy had it up. That was a heck of a deal.

Redeemed it right away and just sitting here waiting.

Random comment but the score seems to be fantastic, the opening segment in the Sony's conference was great and the trailer music was amazing too.

Top Bottom