• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

NeoForte

Aharen-san wa Hakarenai 1-9

Has anyone else been following this? It's made me laugh out loud but it's also really damn adorable too. I'm loving it but sucks that it's bi weekly :/

Verelios

Has anyone else been following this? It's made me laugh out loud but it's also really damn adorable too. I'm loving it but sucks that it's bi weekly :/
I'm following it as my shot of sugar during low times and enjoy it as much as Chio-chan(for entirely different reasons). It gives me the same rush Denki did so that's good.

TheFlow

Banned
Haikyu ~102

If I have any legit complaint with this it's that we've spent waaaay too much time in training camps. This tokyo training arc was basically an entire year of serialization focused completely on training and character building. It's exceptionally well done but it did start to drag towards the end especially when it focused on tsukishma. When you're 100 chapters into a series and more then half of them have been spent in training arcs it gets frustrating. I get that this was probably the big one and we won't see another one unless this series goes into a second year of school and even if we did it won't be as long as this one was (I hope)

This arc is the first time where I felt Hinata really grew out of the shadows as a character who helped Kageyama grow into his own character and the true lead of the series. I also really like the Hitoka she's quickly grown into my favorite character in the series. Her introduction finally gave Shimizu a role in the story besides for just being "the girl" for all the guys to get creepy protective of/go gaga for. Minor complaint but I wish the main cast had more legit antagonistic rivals who were a legit threat too many of the rivals feel like "best friends on opposite teams". We have the one top 3 guy who fits that role but I'm hoping the series will establish a team where its pure oil and water. No friends just two sets of characters who want to kill each other.
Training camps are fundamental, how else are they going to improve. The manga is based more on reality so they have to make it believable when players improve.

I don't think it is natural for a team to outright hate the Crows. Just doesn't make sense to hate a team who hasn't been relevant for years.

To make you happy,there are definitely some hostility towards certain crow players in recent chapters.

Training camps are fundamental, how else are they going to improve. The manga is based more on reality so they have to make it believable when players improve.

I don't think it is natural for a team to outright hate the Crows. Just doesn't make sense to hate a team who hasn't been relevant for years.

To make you happy,there are definitely some hostility towards certain crow players in recent chapters.

I don't hate training camps and I get why Haiku had such a long one, I just wish they could have broken it up somehow. The occasionally remembered girls volleyball team could have filled this role, or perhaps a "flash back" arc where the team watches a video of last years tournament to set up the team they played in the first two rounds of the fall tournament.

And the series could have had the perfect hate each other team with the guy who was harassing the manager girl... but then the match turned into a borderline joke match :|

Mediking

Maybe I should just watch Black Lagoon instead... I've tried to read the manga a few times and it just isn't clicking with me even though the premise and concept sounds awesome.

spiritfox

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro 22

A97vzb2.png

I hate black coffee.

Dungeon Meshi 34

How can this continue to be so good? We learn a bit about magic in this world, and we get to fight a palette-swap monster. Plus Marcille gets to be the butt of the joke again, so all is good.

Dungeon Meshi 34

Fuck yeah I love Cockatrices. There's something hilarious about a giant, angry, poisonous chicken that can also curse you to stone like a Gorgon.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Dungeon Meshi ch. 34

jgKZOW6.png

Poor Marcille. Her misery brings me happiness, however.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san ch. 53 - 54

The friends walking by him in slow motion kind of cracked me up.

He deserved to lose his snack in the other chapter though. My god.

Mediking

Trying to get back into Prison School... again.

This manga is reaching Dragon ball Z levels of stalling and dragging out an arc... lol

Satan's Secretary / Maou no Hisho 2
Man, this girl is poison and it's glorious. I kinda get where the demons are coming from, it's less enjoyable if you stomp the opposing side without prolonging their misery. Plus I'd prefer to see the star work her strategies in a drawn-out campaign.

dani_dc

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 169

I completely forgot Mikan didn't know about her being a vampire.
Considering the chapter, I'm guessing the direction this is going is a dramatic turn, even though Mikan should be a good enough friend at this point that she wouldn't rat her out.

Scum

I'm going to be waiting a long time for To Love Ru: Nemesis, Highschool of the Dead and Murcielago, aren't I?

24027086531_f85a78cb81_o.png

Zweizer

Banned
Dungeon Meshi ch34

Poor Marcille just can't catch a break. Good thing Laius has been pretty knowledgeable about this.

Magic is so lewd.

Their Story ch131

I was afraid for Qiu Tong for a moment here. Let's see Sun Jing make her comeback.

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro ch22

At my workplace we have a fancy Jura coffee machine where you put in coffee beans, water and milk and it does pretty much everything. I looked it up and apparently it costs upwards of 5000 bucks, lol. The coffee world sure is crazy, but at least Manana is aware of some of it (save for the taste).

Damn it Steam, ruining yet another passion!

Nukoduke! ch100

Yuuya the lonely dad (who can't even get drunk).

Maou no Hisho ch2

Goddamn she's ruthless.

Well, she's the true demon lord after all.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san ch53-54

Hopefully he's not starving when they get married.

Witch Hat Atelier ch3

Didn't take long for the hazing to commence.

Hime-sama Tanuki no Koizanyou ch7

Indigo dye sure is deep.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Dungeon Meshi 34
Marcille despair is my source of happiness.

Chio-chan no tsugakuuro 22

Holy shit, that is one top quality service.
The moment he knew his customer is coffee noobs, he goes right in and turn them into sweet drink. MVP!

The bitterness of society... sensei said some really deep stuff.

Maou no Hisho 2

Secretary got no chill. I imagine if she's the main antagonist of a JRPG, game will be over by the time you get to your first inn.

It's cute.

How far did the Haikyu anime go? I know it at least covered the tokyo training arc based upon characters I've seen in the anime art style. I'm currently at chapter 140 the third set in the semi final rematch against Seijou.

phaze

Tokyo Ghoul re: Ch124: Okay, so this chapter cleared up a lot of the issues I had in the last chapter - in regards to the strength of both Kaneki & the suppressants used on him. With Kaneki not really being all that bothered by them and using his knowledge and experience to outwit his opponents. Also, that last page made me laugh.
He's such a sub to Touka.

Just in case you're not aware, there's an OT for the manga

Tokyo Ghoul :re 124

I've been waiting years for this. The one true ship soars into the sky.

D-Frag 85-86
Wait what ? Do Japanese usually use the same bathwater for family members ? Eeeew

Innocent Rouge vol 2
Coming back after a lengthy break, right into arc where a wife, at her deathbed, brags how she purposely derailed and ruined her husband's life is a nice and stark reminder of just what kind of story this is.

Also, I love Sakamoto's hatching. Its thin and detailed enough to for once look, even on monitor, like actual shading and not a bunch of thick scratches trying to imitate one.

Just in case you're not aware, there's an OT for the manga

Tokyo Ghoul :re 124

I've been waiting years for this. The one true ship soars into the sky.

I lurk there from time to time, as well as the one in the forum on Batoto.
But,
both can often seem quite dead.

Chase17

So season 1 was introduction till the first loss to Seijou?

Second season was the tokyo training arc and prelims

Third season is the tournament I'm currently in?
You're pretty close. Season 1 and 2 are both 25 episodes. Season 1 ends after the first Seijou tournament match and season 2 ends after the second Seijou tournament match that you're on now.

Season 3 is just 10 episodes and is entirely the
Shiratorizawa match.

You're pretty close. Season 1 and 2 are both 25 episodes. Season 1 ends after the first Seijou tournament match and season 2 ends after the second Seijou tournament match that you're on now.

Season 3 is just 10 episodes and is entirely the
Shiratorizawa match.

Cool I just finished the Seijou match

Haikyu ~148

Now that's what I'm fucking talking about. So far I had been kinda meh on this tournament since every match was a jobber match or almost a joke match. This rematch against Seijou is a textbook example of why you read sports shonen. A really fantastic rival you want to see defeated, back and forth action with everyone contributing on both sides, and of course the main character getting his big fucking hero moment at the end to save the day. Looking forward to seeing this finals match, wish more of shiratorizawa had been given a proper introduction besides their star.

Innocent Devil 2
Come on, how can you say no to a face like that? There's no real mystery to these murders when precisely 1 suspect is introduced each chapter, but then that's not what this manga's about. It's about crazy people, with a female lead who's even more banana phone than the rest of them. And that pleases me.

Maou no Hisho 2

The secretary is pretty cold hearted. Though this also shows why the demon side never wins, since they appear to be pretty soft. If they're not willing to follow through they shouldn't act all tough.

Cool I just finished the Seijou match

Haikyu ~148

Now that's what I'm fucking talking about. So far I had been kinda meh on this tournament since every match was a jobber match or almost a joke match. This rematch against Seijou is a textbook example of why you read sports shonen. A really fantastic rival you want to see defeated, back and forth action with everyone contributing on both sides, and of course the main character getting his big fucking hero moment at the end to save the day. Looking forward to seeing this finals match, wish more of shiratorizawa had been given a proper introduction besides their star.

oh good i thought you were going to say it was too standard sports match.

I wish Oikawa had triumphed, the pain at being outdone over the one that had admired him and who had learned from him :(

dumbyugi

Dragon Half

Decided to randomly give this a read. It's a shortish gag manga about a half dragon girl and her 2 companions who go on a journey to defeat the demon king. Some decent laughs and fun characters made this a pretty good read. Dick Saucer is a 10/10 name for a love interest. The art is nice enough, though it's nothing special. If you're in the mood for a light read then I would happily recommend this.

Revo

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 8: JoJolion 1-64

God damn if this isn't the weirdest part yet by like a million times. But its been pretty interesting so far.

Top Bottom