• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Attack on Titan

At some point I'm wondering if I'm supposed to care about all this bullshit and the backstories.

Taruranto

Terra E

gzG2Kc8.jpg

Terra E was one of the first anime I genuinely liked, so it feels weird to revisit the manga like 7 years after. It actually brought back a lot of buried emotions and memories, eh.

The manga definitely feels more "yay" and... goofy so far, especially Jomy character. He doesn't seem to have a relationship with his parents in this, which I liked in the anime and created a more melancholy atmosphere. The manga definitely makes a better job at showing how messed up and totalitarian their society is, however.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch. 173

Not being an idiot makes her the most dangerous person in this series yet. Kuromine's got his work cut out for him.

One Punch Man (Murata) latest

Don't think we've seen Saitama this introspective before. Unusual time to do this, especially after these PPP scenes with his cellphone up his butthole, but I mean sure, why not.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 173

Well, Asahi has quite the challenge ahead. The past principle besides not being an idiot, is also not a nice person.

dani_dc

Fuuka 158

That was the most useless and unecessary backstory, particularly to introduce some uninteresting character.
This series can't end soon enough.

Attack on Titan 94

The timing of the anime worked really well with this flashback, it works as a nice fold to what's happening there, and we get to see a bit more about the kind of indoctrination suffered by those living there.

His mom realising he was talking positively of those in the island was a nice touch.

Kingdom

Kind curious with the strategy of leaving the left flank so badly out numbered.

Bowl0l

Densetsu no Yuusha no Konkatsu Chapter 4Little sister keeping an eye on the socially inept elder brother ( aka the hero ) in his marriage journey, what could go wrong?
If there is a spin-off, where the brother trying to quietly spy on his little sister dating, it will be wonderful to read as well.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch565

Hear that Jun? That's the sound of you sucking.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch173

Oh shit she's not an idiot! He's doomed.

Though it means Akane admitted that she's an idiot as well, didn't she?

Nejimaki Kagyu ch51

At least Yoh isn't doing anything rash for now.

Madoka - Maiko Magica (SFW short)
Shut up and take my Homu. I'm sure the faceless figure spreading fake news about her nighttime activities is Sayaka. Though even if it were true, if it's for the sake of securing Madoka's first time then it's understandable. Maitake must be a mind reader, because I am indeed looking forward to the touching finale (coming never).

Densetsu no Yuusha no Konkatsu 4

That's one hell of a guardian angel/devil to have watching over you. Killing someone and reviving them over and over is now on my list of approved torture methods. Apparently (raw spoilers)
she's adopted / not blood-related + there's a fair probability that she wants his sword, which is great, because after this chapter I'd have a hard time accepting anyone else as the true route.

Bowl0l

Densetsu no Yuusha no Konkatsu 4

That's one hell of a guardian angel/devil to have watching over you. Killing someone and reviving them over and over is now on my list of approved torture methods. Apparently (raw spoilers)
she's adopted / not blood-related + there's a fair probability that she wants his sword, which is great, because after this chapter I'd have a hard time accepting anyone else as the true route.
But he already gave away his sword to his merchant friend at ch3.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka 158

That was the most useless and unecessary backstory, particularly to introduce some uninteresting character.
This series can't end soon enough.

Attack on Titan 94

The timing of the anime worked really well with this flashback, it works as a nice fold to what's happening there, and we get to see a bit more about the kind of indoctrination suffered by those living there.

His mom realising he was talking positively of those in the island was a nice touch.

Kingdom

Kind curious with the strategy of leaving the left flank so badly out numbered.
I don't know why it took 5 chapters, one of which I'm not sure actually exists to introduce that random guy.

Seshiji o Pin!

So I went to reread this and read a few comments after and didn't realise...

WHAT THE FUCK THE TEACHER IN THIS (AND HER HUSBAND) ARE FROM KOGANEIRO!?

Zweizer

Banned
One Piece ch868

lol we all saw this coming. It's more interesting to see a desperate Bege bring out the big guns anyways.

Shokugeki no Soma ch218

Yeah they're going to lose.

upandaway

One Piece

GTFgNSx.jpg

She did it

She seriously did that

I was seriously doubting that she did it last chapter because that would be insane and Oda's known for his twists lately "sike she didn't actually do it" but she freaking did it

Kyuur

Dr Stone

Holy shit, they managed to tie in E=mc^2. Time to update the GODA image with Inagaki.

Doesn't look like we're done with the flashback, wonder what revelation the rain brings?

One Piece

Good end to the flashback. Seems like the chef is the one responsible for her turning into such a shit bag -- if only she had met a savior akin to Shanks or Zeff instead.

I wasn't surprised that the assassination failed but the mirror breaking threw me for a loop. We have might actually have an incoming casualty and this arc might actually end with an escape and regroup for round 2. I suspect we'll revisit BM at the same time as Oda does Elbaf.

Is Dr.Stone any good guys? I know it's new and all but you can possibly make a picture with 14 manga chapters...

vQCJ0r0.jpg

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
One Piece ch. 868

Well, yeah, of course nothing panned out. Everyone being completely shocked over the broken mirror and Jinbe's got this "well ... goddamn shame that just happened" expression, heh.

Is Dr.Stone any good guys? I know it's new and all but you can possibly make a picture with 14 manga chapters...

It's decent. The goofy humor works for me.

JulianImp

Magical Grandma Girl - up to ch10
I don't know if this gag manga-style plot is going to stay interesting for long, but it's kind of hilarious how we now have a magical boy girl who just asked grandma out on a date.

The world god only knows - ch1
This looks like it's going to be somewhat trashy, but I've already caught up on the other manga I was reading on the app, so I might as well give it a try because it's entertaining enough (and is considerably easier to read since it always uses furigana for spelling kanji, even for common words).

JulianImp

TWGOK ain't trashy. It's the best romcom manga with the best girl winning.

The protagonist being a VN freak who's been roped into getting RL girls to fall for him does feel pretty trashy as a premise, IMO. It's still mildly entertaining though, so I'll probably be catching up on it while I wait for more Helck and Slo-mo chapters.

Ray Down

Banned
One Piece

GTFgNSx.jpg

She did it

She seriously did that

I was seriously doubting that she did it last chapter because that would be insane and Oda's known for his twists lately "sike she didn't actually do it" but she freaking did it

Well it's not like he can show it really at all. Shonen Jump would block it.

upandaway

One Piece

i wonder if she got her fruit because she ate her or because she ate a fruit (like inside the cake) that transformed after she killed her by eating her.

To be honest though it's still not 100% that she did it. I can still see something like "everyone who saw it thought that's what happened but it didn't actually happen" sorta deal, if Oda wants to do something bigger with Caramel later. there's gotta be SOMEONE out there who's combing the whole manga right now to search if we saw one of the kids alive and older in present time, that would mean she didn't do it. I'd only say I can believe it's 100% confirmed by virtue of never being debunked in the manga (until the manga ends), because holy crap the imagery would be like orders of magnitude worse than Attack on Titan

One Piece

i wonder if she got her fruit because she ate her or because she ate a fruit (like inside the cake) that transformed after she killed her by eating her.

To be honest though it's still not 100% that she did it. I can still see something like "everyone who saw it thought that's what happened but it didn't actually happen" sorta deal, if Oda wants to do something bigger with Caramel later. there's gotta be SOMEONE out there who's combing the whole manga right now to search if we saw one of the kids alive and older in present time, that would mean she didn't do it. I'd only say I can believe it's 100% confirmed by virtue of never being debunked in the manga (until the manga ends), because holy crap the imagery would be like orders of magnitude worse than Attack on Titan
Akuma no mis "respawn" somewhere in the world when the user dies, the only way that would make sense for Linlin to immediatly have access to Caramel's powers is if she ate her and that somehow granted her powers. Besides that, there would be no reason for her to be demonized by the giant that saw what happened unless she did something horrific in her birthday party.

Shokugeki no Soma 218

As soon as the rebel team for the second bout was unveiled, it became super obvious we would be getting Kuga vs. Tsukasa and Megishima vs. Rin. The results are just as obvious too.

I think it would've been more interesting if we got Mimasaka vs. Eizan though for a former subordinate vs. master match, especially after Tsukasa mentioned Eizan was itching to fight.

Akuma no mis "respawn" somewhere in the world when the user dies, the only way that would make sense for Linlin to immediatly have access to Caramel's powers is if she ate her and that somehow granted her powers. Besides that, there would be no reason for her to be demonized by the giant that saw what happened unless she did something horrific in her birthday party.
They don't just respawn randomly, their power transfers to a nearby fruit. We saw this happen when Smiley died on Punk Hazard. It might not be guaranteed though since Caesar made sure to have a whole sack of fruit nearby, presumably to maximize chances.

Fbh

One Punch Man 76

Poor Saitama is depressed but as allways it's nice to have him be the focus of his own manga

Dr Stone 14

A bit more fun than last week (lol at his reaction when the first experiment doesn't work) but felt just as pointless as last week. At the end it seems like we might go back to the present next chapter which is good

Attack on Titan 94

I'm liking this arc more now that Reiner seems to have turned into the focus. The scene at the table was great.
Also, that dude without a leg that was among the hurt is totally going to be Eren, right?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no Soma 218

As soon as the rebel team for the second bout was unveiled, it became super obvious we would be getting Kuga vs. Tsukasa and Megishima vs. Rin. The results are just as obvious too.

I think it would've been more interesting if we got Mimasaka vs. Eizan though for a former subordinate vs. master match, especially after Tsukasa mentioned Eizan was itching to fight.

They don't just respawn randomly, their power transfers to a nearby fruit. We saw this happen when Smiley died on Punk Hazard. It might not be guaranteed though since Caesar made sure to have a whole sack of fruit nearby, presumably to maximize chances.

Seems obvious its going to be a reverse sweep.

And holy hell DTL is going to lose it over the Kuga stuff in this chapter.

Ah, I completely forgot about that. Still, in that case it's pretty weird considering we didn't see any fruits on her birthday croquembouche

Ah, I completely forgot about that. Still, in that case it's pretty weird considering we didn't see any fruits on her birthday croquembouche
I still think the power transferred because she ate Caramel, but am open to the possibility that there's more to the situation than meets the eye.

redlemon

The protagonist being a VN freak who's been roped into getting RL girls to fall for him does feel pretty trashy as a premise, IMO. It's still mildly entertaining though, so I'll probably be catching up on it while I wait for more Helck and Slo-mo chapters.

TWGOK is fantastic for the arc's where it sticks to its initial set up.

Manga sales May 29th - June 4th (3 days of sales for Jump series)

*1. 232,207 *,352,204 Kuroshitsuji Vol.25
*2. 183,296 *,183,296 Boku no Hero Academia Vol.14
*3. 142,941 *,142,941 Orange Vol.6
*4. *92,114 *,*92,114 Dragon Ball Super Vol.3
*5. *64,067 *,*64,067 Shuumatsu no Harem Vol.3
*6. *63,360 *,*63,360 Platinum End Vol.6
*7. *62,252 *,177,046 Koudai-ke no Hitobito Vol.6
*8. *60,300 *,*60,300 Kinnikuman Vol.59
*9. *53,010 *,423,721 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.26
10. *46,518 2,400,524 One Piece Vol.85

11. *37,054 *,*37,054 Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction Vol.6
12. *31,769 *,*31,769 Shinya Shokudou Vol.18
13. *29,172 *,261,337 Fairy Tail Vol.61
14. *28,945 *,*28,945 Yuru Yuri Vol.15 Special Edition
15. *28,506 *,186,161 Major 2nd Vol.9
16. *27,093 *,*27,093 Asahinagu Vol.23
17. *26,796 *,*26,796 Fukigen Kareshi no Saraikata
18. *26,708 *,*26,708 Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel Vol.4
19. *24,941 *,*53,648 Seirou Opera Vol.6
20. *23,298 *,*23,298 Kuneru Marta Vol.12

21. *22,953 *,734,999 Haikyuu!! Vol.26
22. *20,481 *,*67,915 Inuyashiki Vol.9
23. *20,392 *,*20,392 Hetalia: World☆Stars Vol.4
24. *20,365 *,*77,536 Overlord Vol.7
25. *19,990 1,450,673 Shingeki no Kyojin Vol.22
26. *19,289 *,*19,289 Hinomaru-Zumou Vol.15
27. *19,007 *,337,739 Arslan Senki Vol.7
28. *17,890 *,*17,890 Tokusatsu Gagaga Vol.10
29. *17,676 *,*34,704 Kaze Hikaru Vol.40
30. *17,239 *,*17,239 Captain Tsubasa: Rising Sun Vol.6

31. *16,997 *,*16,997 Kenkou de Bunkateki na Saiteigendo no Seikatsu Vol.5
32. *16,763 *,*16,763 Fire Punch Vol.5
33. *16,506 *,*34,586 Koifuru Colorful: Zenbu Kimi to Hajimete Vol.7
34. *16,014 *,*16,014 Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai Vol.1
35. *14,956 *,*31,300 Himitsu no Hiroko-chan Vol.2
36. *14,904 *,*32,755 Uirabu.: Uiuishii Koi no Ohanashi Vol.8
37. *14,859 *,503,918 Boku no Hero Academia Vol.13
38. *14,763 *,*31,935 4-gatsu no Kimi, Spica. Vol.8
39. *14,728 *,*50,217 Houseki no Kuni Vol.7
40. *14,568 *,*66,998 Non Non Biyori Vol.11

41. *14,380 *,*14,380 Shiawase Afro Tanaka Vol.7
42. *13,835 *,*44,858 JJM: Joshi Judou-bu Monogatari Vol.2
43. *13,353 *,*34,752 Good Morning Kiss Vol.16
44. *13,157 *,*33,636 Mei-chan no Shitsuji DX Vol.8
45. *13,121 *,123,560 Days Vol.22
46. *12,696 *,*12,696 Boku no Hero Academia Smash! Vol.3
47. *12,598 *,*39,899 ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka P.S. Vol.1
48. *12,550 *,*12,550 Orange Vol.6 Limited Edition
49. *12,307 *,140,115 Haru Matsu Bokura Vol.7
50. *12,243 *,*22,010 Satou, Watashi o Sukitte Barechau yo Vol.1

Of the first three newcomers, only We Never Learn made the top 50 at 34th.

So we never learn will get a chance to survive, guess the next test is how well dr stone and rxl do. I assume hungry marie is going to die as well.

Gero

Where do you guys read manga?? I like physical but I'm starting to lose patience... so I want some online options.

Where do you guys read manga?? I like physical but I'm starting to lose patience... so I want some online options.

A lot of us are subscribed to viz shonen jump it's less then $30 for a years worth of manga. A crunchyroll sub also gets you a bunch of weekly/monthly manga like attack on titan, 7 deadly sins, and fuuka.

You can buy volumes from viz on their shonen jump app, or a bunch of digital stuff from a variety of publishers on comixology.

Other ways we can't discuss here for obvious reasons.

Gero

A lot of us are subscribed to viz shonen jump it's less then $30 for a years worth of manga. A crunchyroll sub also gets you a bunch of weekly/monthly manga like attack on titan, 7 deadly sins, and fuuka.

You can buy volumes from viz on their shonen jump app, or a bunch of digital stuff from a variety of publishers on comixology.

Other ways we can't discuss here for obvious reasons.

I get that, I like to support anyways. I grew up with piracy but as I grew older, I started to prefer better quality.

Angry Grimace

So we never learn will get a chance to survive, guess the next test is how well dr stone and rxl do. I assume hungry marie is going to die as well.

We Never Learn is bad though. It's the most generic rom-com with the stockiest stock characters to ever be stock.

MC = Generic, unassuming type. But he's a nice guy, so all the hottest girls in school are practically frothing at the mouth to get at his D
Generic Girl 1 = Tsundere
Generic Girl 2 = Perfect Japanese Flower
Generic Girl 3 = Genki Girl/Childhood friend

The premise isn't even interesting.

Top Bottom