• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Yiazmat

the new forza 7 footage definitely looks better than gt sport beta.
Does it really?

forzamotorsport7-e320sez19.jpg

forzamotorsport7-e320qeb3r.jpg

forzamotorsport7-e32040ahr.jpg

YSn8dDM.gif

Tripolygon

Banned
Does it really?

[IG]https://abload.de/img/forzamotorsport7-e320sez19.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]https://abload.de/img/forzamotorsport7-e320qeb3r.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]https://abload.de/img/forzamotorsport7-e32040ahr.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/YSn8dDM.gif[/IMG]
These do not look like direct feed screenshots.
Maybe the fact that it's actually dynamic and much harder to do than GT:Sports baked lighting.. which still looks gamey I might add.
Yea this is rubbish, if there is one thing Polyphony is known for, it is lighting.

Forza looks like an XB1 game in 4k resolution. They can't really build new assets specifically for XBX.

They already have higher quality assets that the base Xbox Ones couldn't make use of in Forza 6 and Horizon 3. FM5 wasn't pushing them as hard so cars were using their highest LOD models for instance. They also already confirmed that liveries on cars will have 4K friendly textures.

benzy

Maybe the fact that it's actually dynamic and much harder to do than GT:Sports baked lighting.. which still looks gamey I might add.

Doesn't look like there's dynamic lighting though, and there's no hint of time change. I'd imagine they would have shown a day to night timelapse like the Forza Horizon trailers if it was in the game. Dan's quote during the presentation only mentioned the cloud transitions from stormy to sunny, similar to PGR4's dynamic weather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYEq9Lm2LQs

Not to take anything away from the dynamic weather, as it's a nice addition.

Doesn't look like there's dynamic lighting though, and there's no hint of time change. I'd imagine they would have shown a day to night timelapse like the Forza Horizon trailers if it was in the game. Dan's quote during the presentation only mentioned the cloud transitions from stormy to sunny, similar to PGR4's dynamic weather.

That's a fair point. I take my statement back.

SliChillax

Everyone is complaining about the camera shaking and all the bits vibrating but I think that's amazing. It's what games like these need, racing is rough and it should be visible. I also love how the GTR's spoiler is flexing due to the downforce.

mazillion

Forza 7 seems stylized differently than GT Sport, it's difficult to describe.

Sport's lighting makes it looks more life-like but Forza is more richly detailed. I think they both look great though, seems like it'll come down to personal taste on which looks better.

I really hope Forza 7 improves their replays, and by that I mean the options and camera work. It's sorely amateur compared to Gran Turismo's.

I have my doubts.. I'll be disappointed if it's the same things as Forza 6 and Horizon 3.

Vroadstar

Do you even know what you are talking about?

Yea this is rubbish, if there is one thing Polyphony is known for, it is lighting.

GT Sports lighting isn't baked, it just doesn't change dynamically over the course of a race.

As usual, Forza's lighting is very very different from GT's. As much as I like Forza, GTS still looks better.

But I'll probably enjoy actually playing Forza more than GT. 😊

I really hope Forza 7 improves their replays, and by that I mean the options and camera work. It's sorely amateur compared to Gran Turismo's.

I have my doubts.. I'll be disappointed if it's the same things as Forza 6 and Horizon 3.

Very much agreed. F7 looks great but the replays really need to be improved. I have the GT Sport beta and the replay camera work is awesome and what makes it that much better is the way the car suspension moves and the driver reacts. Very realistic looking imo. I hope F7 steps their game up with that aspect, but my fear is that with a relatively short development time it just didn't have time to be addressed. Fingers crossed though.

Sebmugi

Visually F7 that's what I expected it's just beautiful but not the slap either .. special mention for parts of the cars that vibrate super detail for immersion ;)

Afrikan

Driveclub. O_O

Never will be a 1st Party game/experience like that again. :(

Evolution is gone. :(

Motorstorm gone...

Now I'm sad again.

thelastword

Banned
o_O

Gif dat Porshe desert gameplay

Dem graphics best looking racer
Not even close, this is at 4k 60fps. There's no way it's taking the graphics crown. Movement of the cars looks off too....a bit floaty/slidey. Lots of shimmering in that desert opener and some iffy textures, in-game car interiors are also not really impressive.... looking at other current racers....

eso76

When you take framerate and IQ into account though.

And IQ does make a huge difference, it's the one thing holding back Driveclub and making it somewhat slightly less impressive when seen in person, running on your own TV.

Problem is the desert track in FM7, where they did seem to have finally nailed lighting, textures and palette...seems to belong to a different game compared to those snippets from, say, Sebring.

It's without question the most technically demanding racer out there at 4k60 but on most tracks Forza Motorsport could never be mistaken for real life footage / photographs although you occasionally get that one combination of track+weather where it does.

I think at this point even FH3 can look more natural than FM which is weird as you'd expect the exact opposite given their targets.

I thought the Forza trailer was pretty uninspired. All the slow motion focus on drivers and them getting into cars, it all looked too familiar. I've seen this exact stylistic choice already, done better.

I was more interested seeing Dirt 4. Those guys seem to be making the game they want to make.

What's the Xbox One version of F7 running at, 1080/60 again or something lower?

Liking the improvements over F6 but never expected to be blown away as long as T10 are delivering 4k/60, just like all the other FM games if you're not gonna take that unwavering frame rate into consideration there's little point comparing to anything else.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Too bad people who never play Forza will never understand how bad replays and A.I drivers ruin the fluidity of motion in the game...

Ever since FM3 replay data has been compressed to hell and back and makes them look like pure shit...

DD

I thought the Forza trailer was pretty uninspired. All the slow motion focus on drivers and them getting into cars, it all looked too familiar. I've seen this exact stylistic choice already, done better.

I was more interested seeing Dirt 4. Those guys seem to be making the game they want to make.
Same. Also, Dirt 4 is bloody brilliant if you haven't tried it yet. Might not be so sexy looking, but man, what a game!

Gestault

GT Sports lighting isn't baked, it just doesn't change dynamically over the course of a race.

I haven't heard anything along these lines in interviews. Where did you come across it? Can you think of a reason to bother with a fully dynamic environmental lighting solution for static settings? It would be a pointless use of those resources when they have a 60 fps target. Categorically, pre-computed lighting for a static environment can give higher-quality results with less rendering effort (assuming the RAM/bandwidth is there to store the lightmaps).

jcutner

Yeah, I mean it looks great, but I feel like I need more from the Forza Motorsport series. Horizon has the "story" or at least the progression of the festival to keep you entertaining and moving along. But if Forza isn't going to double-down on a serious fleshed out career mode, then it's just racing the same cars on the same tracks for the 7th time in a row... just with it looking and feeling better

Top Bottom