• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Knight Rises (Batman 3) - No Riddler

Status
Not open for further replies.
The name was the one thing I was pretty worried about. I've heard more than my share of name suggestions and all of them were terrible. Really, there was nowhere you can go after Batman Begins and the Dark Knight. Anything with Gotham sounds horrible, the Caped Crusader just sounds tacky. I would have preferred "The Batman" or "Batman Forever" I don't care if they've been used before :mad:

The other problem with this name is that while Batman Begins and the Dark Knight stand pretty well on their own, the Dark Knight Rises is just going to be compared to the Dark Knight.

So, in summary:

Strike 1: terrible name

Strike 2: no Riddler

Solo

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I wonder if he'll use 3D-oh woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow, Cameron succumbing to studio demands, what a pussy.

Wrong, hombre. Cameron sets the trends that BECOME studio demands. Nolan is the dude who is overwhelmed by tech and begs WB to let him stick to traditional methods. Fucking 3D, how does it work?

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I wonder if he'll use 3D-oh woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow, Cameron succumbing to studio demands, what a pussy.

Bravo. Best joke post in the thread so far.

Anyway, I think a title incorporating the idea of the Cowl would be good.

My own suggestions: Cowl's go Boo

Right? RIGHT?

DMczaf

Solo said:
Wrong, hombre. Cameron sets the trends that BECOME studio demands. Nolan is the dude who is overwhelmed by tech and begs WB to let him stick to traditional methods. Fucking 3D, how does it work?

You mean technology like using IMAX cameras?
smiley_smug.gif

Technology so hardcore no one can follow.

jett

D-Member
Solo said:
And yet you creamed your pants to "The Dark Knight" which is basically the same title :lol

I was actually negative about that title when it was announced, deemed it "comic book-ish".

So how about you shut the fuck up?

Mr. Sam

I dislike the title simply because I think it appears to disregard Batman Begins, which is every bit as good as The Dark Knight was. But yeah, I suppose it didn't make enough money...

My suggestion?

A little Dark Knight in you! I like that. THEN YOU'RE GONNA LOVE ME.

Maybe a little long, but ehh.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
to complete the name triptych, how about just "crusader". i'm sure wb would scowl at the idea of something that's not implicitly and recognizably batman, but would serve the film well given the dual interpretation of the word and the quixotic themes running through tdk.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
I think the title will grow on people - it will be fine and I def think it's the penguin and catwoman
Nolan that sly bastard ! He said penguin would be tricky but he can do tricky.

I think we will see riddler in the 4th one - I'm pissed though bc he is my fav villain left

I can't wait for the more Michael Caine and Bale voice overs in the teaser.

Alfred: Come on , Master, get up. It's 11:30.
Bruce: Go away Alfred.
Alfred: You're sleeping on the floor and it smells of piss again.
Bruce: I think I fell over last night.
Alfred: And why do we fall Master Wayne?

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES.

jett

D-Member
I personally feel relatively indifferent about the title, I don't really mind one way or the other. Nolan will make it work within the context of the movie, much like TDK.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Lol at WB trying to make it pretty clear that it's a TDK sequel. They are afraid of losing some of that audience.

Anyways, either the villain is Bane or it doesn't matter who the villain is.

DMczaf

jett said:
I personally feel relatively indifferent about the title, I don't really mind one way or the other. Nolan will make it work within the context of the movie, much like TDK.

Since Nolan always uses his titles based on his story, I hope he's not giving away the ending already. I think we mostly knew that this last film would be about Batman's redemption, but now it's pretty much in the title :lol

Although Nolan is all about keeping things close to the vest (see what I did thar!!?11), so I don't think he would do that.

ezekial45

Banned
It sounds funny now, but that'll probably change once we see the trailer and learn a little bit more about the plot.

Than again, i still think Batman Begins is a weird title. Even though it makes sense.

I'm disappointed that The Riddler isn't going to be in it. Oh well, hopefully it'll be Black Mask.

brianjones said:
why is that a strike exactly?

IMO, the really iconic Batman villains are: Joker, Two-face, Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, and maaaybe Bane. These are the villains everyone recognizes. I don't think most people know Killer Croc or Black Mask. Out of those, Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze are too out there, Catwoman probably wouldn't work well, and the Penguin would be very tricky like Nolan said as well as be too similar to Falcony in Batman Begins. Not only is the Riddler the only realistic candidate, but he's such a good fit for Nolanverse. Intelligent, grounded, manipulative; there is so much potential for a Nolan's Riddler that I really feel like is going to waste.

WrikaWrek said:
Lol at WB trying to make it pretty clear that it's a TDK sequel. They are afraid of losing some of that audience.

WB must think people are idiots. I mean I don't... necessarily disagree but my faith in humanity isn't that low.

JGS

Banned
The title makes sense since the Dark Knight reference in the sequel is regarding Batman as the bad guy (They don't call him this until the end when he's being hunted). Not knowing the plot at all, the third in the series is how he'll be redeemed for that and Gotham will be whole.

The Riddler would have been a bit redundant consider the Joker uses them too and was funny. It makes sense why Riddler exists in the comics, but not so much as the 3rd villian in a trilogy.

vicissitudes said:
IMO, the really iconic Batman villains are: Joker, Two-face, Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, and maaaybe Bane.
you are literally just listing these because they were in the burton/schumacher films

Miguel

DMczaf said:
Caped Crusader?

Shadow of the Bat?

Jesus fuck, GAF is just as bad at titles as they are at casting.

DIOwb.jpg

I came into this thread specifically to see DM's reaction to the horrid suggestions :lol

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Batman encounters Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Batgirl and Harley Quinn.

Ivy: "Penny for your thoughts Batman!"
Bale: "Batman RISES!"

Leunam

You know, they could tone down Catwomans costume and she'd work just fine. She's not a disfigured-hulking-poison-reptile either, she's just a professional burglar.

I'm not crazy about the title, but what are you gonna do? I'm sure the movie itself will be worthwhile.

I'm worried about the villain, though. Especially the talk of returning characters... eventually they're going to have to deal directly with the Joker again, and those are going to be some big shoes to fill (RIP Ledger).

Zzoram

Catwoman is awful and Riddler is too similar to the Joker.

Poison Ivy and Mr.Freeze are too fantastical for the more realistic Nolan films. Bane has always been a pretty minor villain, he's got big muscles, that's not exactly interesting.

Maybe Nolan will pull out a more cerebral comic book villain that can be grounded in reality. Nolan seems to like huge diabolical plots for his villains. The villain has to be someone who sets in motion a crazy evil scheme that Batman has to foil, and there aren't many villains who could fit that role.

badcrumble said:
you are literally just listing these because they were in the burton/schumacher films

:lol :lol I noticed that as I was posting it, but it's not a stretch to say these villains were used in the Burton/Schumacher films because they are the most well-known/iconic. But if you disagree, feel free to give me a list.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I wouldn't mind them bringing Back Ras, just for Liam Neeson. Downside is that this batman universe (so far) has been pretty grounded in reality (in that there's no superpowers, even from the villains). They set up his possible immortality in Batman Begins, but those lines could have easily described the Ras Al Ghul name being handed down throughout the ages. With no set up of Talia in BB I can't see it feeling anything but tacked on.

MNC

ultron87 said:
Should've teased us with the abbreviation DKR for awhile just to get the entire Internet ablaze with Dark Knight Returns hype, and then yank the rug out from under us.
Dark Knight Racing: The Video Game Adaption!

jett

D-Member
besada said:
How about an old one, then? Ra's al-Ghul returns.

That's not gonna happen.

Whoever Nolan uses will probably be similar in name only. I'm envisioning a Scarecrow-like situation for TDKR.

Personally Nolan has exhausted my two favorite bat-villains(Ra's and Joker), so I really don't care which villains he utilizes.

Except Catwoman. Catwoman is stupid.

vicissitudes said:
IMO, the really iconic Batman villains are: Joker, Two-face, Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, and maaaybe Bane. These are the villains everyone recognizes. I don't think most people know Killer Croc or Black Mask. Out of those, Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze are too out there, Catwoman probably wouldn't work well, and the Penguin would be very tricky like Nolan said as well as be too similar to Falcony in Batman Begins. Not only is the Riddler the only realistic candidate, but he's such a good fit for Nolanverse. Intelligent, grounded, manipulative; there is so much potential for a Nolan's Riddler that I really feel like is going to waste.

Riddler seems like he would tread similar ground as the joker to me, but how would he possibly top the joker?

honestly all the rest of the batman villains in the cannon seem relatively uninteresting in comparison to the joker so i'm really curious to see where nolan goes with this.

I honestly don't really know who I want the villain to be. I just don't want to see Catwoman under any circumstance. Or The Penguin. Or Robin, who is the worst villain in the franchise.

Mr. Sam

I personally look forward to a Batman franchise that is neither camp, nor gothic, nor gritty. One where you could have, I dunno, Killer Croc in it and have him be taken seriously. And a Batsuit with grey in it. The suit in Arkham Asylum is how it should be done. And have Mark Hammill play The Joker.

Yeah. Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom