• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 23, 2017 (Jun 05 - Jun 11)

Laplasakos

This is what Persona Central thinks regarding the 570 million yen loss of ATLUS.

Persona 5 was Atlus’ biggest release during the fiscal year. The game performed exceptionally well in Japan, North America, and in Europe, however the Western sales are not accounted for in Atlus’ financial report, since they relate to fiscal year 2018 (after March 2017).

There is no explanation given for the financial loss in the report, however a notable reason for it could be the launch of a brand new, third creative development studio within Atlus (i.e. Studio Zero) during FY 2017, alongside general plans for company expansion and a large recruitment drive for all internal development studios within Atlus.

Full article here
http://personacentral.com/atlus-reports-final-deficit-570-million-yen-fiscal-year-ended-march-2017/

Ōkami

Interviews make it pretty clear but after seeing unedited footage its clear that Monster Hunter World is Monster Hunter 5 in everyway but name.

This doesn't look like a westernized or simplified game at all, looks like Monster Hunter, new additions to gameplay seem built upon the mechanics of 4 and what can be done with better hardware.

It's pretty impressive looking, both graphically and mechanically.

Vena

Ōkami;241022542 said:
Interviews make it pretty clear but after seeing unedited footage its clear that Monster Hunter World is Monster Hunter 5 in everyway but name.

This doesn't look like a westernized or simplified game at all, looks like Monster Hunter, new additions to gameplay seem built upon the mechanics of 4 and what can be done with better hardware.

Some mechanics have very much been simplified if not outright removed. The paintball/throw mechanics are seemingly entirely altered for something far easier, tracking is more of a minigame now as well, and multiple monsters won't automatically try to kick a Hunter's face in and may fight each other (which makes multi fights potentially much, much easier). Healing as well. There are little changes here and there, that become either apparent or confusing with more footage, but they're being noticed and discussed the the larger thread.

But we should all already know this is MH5. As I've said this is a project that got caught by market changes/failure of the PS4 to take off and with that the messaging shifted to where the consoles are successful and potentially capable of sustaining this venture away from portables.

Ōkami;241022542 said:

Matt said it was very much made for the Western market, so I'm assuming there's more than we know at the moment that was changed.

I hope there is a more traditional entry being made for the Switch to fall back on, because I don't see MHW-type ventures being the franchise's future. Not being on a portable and not being on a (successful) Nintendo system doesn't make sense for this franchise. It's kinda like trying to make handheld-only Call of Duty happen or something.

If MHW is MH5, are we not going to see a game named MH5? Are they going to skip straight to MH6? Or maybe abandon numerals altogether?

I guess that could depend on World's performance. If it flops, they should just name the next one 5. If it succeeds, I assume they will abandon numerals.

KtSlime

MHW can be a system seller.

When every other franchise on the Playstation has seen a steady decline and has been unable to crack 500k (with the exception of FF), World, which has has been a bit more tailored for the tastes of the rest of the world will somehow buck the trend seems a bit, unrealistic don't you think?

Vena

As said before, Capcom will be watching DQXI very carefully. If that fails to generate anything long-term (it will obviously cause a launch spike) then tale has long since been finished and now we're waiting on the ink to dry, so to speak.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

Just like how MHtri sold a little over 1m with extreme price cuts when the franchise was stronger and on stronger hardware that sold more software.

Kyoufu

Just like how MHtri sold a little over 1m with extreme price cuts when the franchise was stronger and on stronger hardware that sold more software.

It required a monthly fee which limited its potential. Why pay a monthly fee for MH3 when you can just play it on PSP for free?

MHW will face a similar problem with PS+.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
As said before, Capcom will be watching DQXI very carefully. If that fails to generate anything long-term (it will obviously cause a launch spike) then tale has long since been finished and now we're waiting on the ink to dry, so to speak.
Really? Weird game to watch seeing as its already being undercut by the 3DS and even the switch, and its not like then switch version is some secret, they aren't bringing it up in sight of the ps4 version but they have confirmed it multiple times

Kanann

The benefit for CAPCOM is, it will be release at the same year as KH3 and before FFVIIr drop, these 3 are good for PS4 and the future of Japanese high budget video games.

And that the direction Capcom want to go now.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
The benefit for CAPCOM is, it will be release at the same year as KH3 and before FFVIIr drop, these 3 are good for PS4 and the future of Japanese high budget video games.

Wait, is KH3 confirmed for 2018?

Honestly, if Capcom has a Switch MH in the works, they'll be fine. It's a good idea to have a MH game that can be played on the platforms most western gamers use and if it can sell a few hundred thousand units in Japan, great.

Now, if they don't have something planned right now for Switch beyond XX....that's bad.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Watch July event.

My ass pull that out too soon, sorry.

Oh, I was thinking I missed some info lol.

But yeah, I'm thinking late 2018 seems plausible

Honestly, if Capcom has a Switch MH in the works, they'll be fine. It's a good idea to have a MH game that can be played on the platforms most western gamers use and if it can sell a few hundred thousand units in Japan, great.

Now, if they don't have something planned right now for Switch beyond XX....that's bad.
I'm sure they do. They'd be totally braindead to not have anymore new portable MH. There is definitely a cultivated market for it. Switch will hopefully be better positioned stock-wise as well by that point

Vena

Too far apart. Same problem as what faces the PS4 this year into next for at least 6-8 months.

Just watched the leaked demo. There's a lot of running around and the fight was beyond scripted, it played exactly like all the written previews. I hope Capcom has prepared something more organic for the 20th, especially now that the demo has leaked. They wouldn't have the nerve to stream the exact same thing would they?

Kyoufu

Just watched the leaked demo. There's a lot of running around and the fight was beyond scripted, it played exactly like all the written previews. I hope Capcom has prepared something more organic for the 20th, especially now that the demo has leaked. They wouldn't have the nerve to stream the exact same thing would they?

Yes, they're going to showcase that demo. Why wouldn't they? It's the game.

horuhe

This week's releases

{2017.06.16}

[NSW] Arms <FTG> (Nintendo) (¥5.980)
6J188pn.jpg
0qPlCyD.jpg

--------------------

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking (2017.06.16)

01./00. [NSW] ARMS <ACT> (Nintendo)
02./01. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
03./02. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom)
04./04. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
05./03. [PS4] Tekken 7 <FTG> (Bandai Namco)
06./05. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X <ADV> (Bandai Namco)
07./09. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
08./07. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)
09./06. [NSW] Seiken Densetsu Collection <RPG> (Square Enix)
10./08. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking (2017.06.16)

01./01. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time <RPG> (Square Enix)
02./03. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo)
03./02. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time <RPG> (Square Enix)
04./08. [PS4] New Hot Shots Golf <SPT> (Sony Interactive)
05./05. [PS4] Gundam Versus: Premium G (Sound Edition) <ACT> (Bandai Namco)

--------------------

Yesterday was the release day of ARMS, and lots of stores were showing the game even outside. Switch units were apparently bigger than last week (even small shops that usually don't have units for selling are having urgent shipments, and today we are having lotteries at Bic Camera and Sofmap.

Reservations for Gundam, especially the limited edition, are quite interesting to follow. However the biggest one is Dragon Quest XI, the PS4 version is the version shown at stores and the popular one.

I imagine Atlus making the shift from 3DS to PS4 for the majority of their projects is what cost them this year.

?

Persona 5 is the only game Atlus has developed for PS4 to date and they have nothing else announced for the platform. They have three 3DS games lined up for the rest of this year alone.

Or are you speculating that unannounced games have moved to PS4?

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
It required a monthly fee which limited its potential. Why pay a monthly fee for MH3 when you can just play it on PSP for free?

MHW will face a similar problem with PS+.

It also had local co-op.

noshten

PREDICTION LEAGUE JULY 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jun 26 to Jul 30):

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware (35 days) - 425.000
[PS4] Gundam Versus (25 days) - 160.000
[3DS] New Nintendo 2DS XL (18 days) - 130.000
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 80.000
[3DS] Ever Oasis (18 days) - 65.000
[PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (18 days) - 100.000
[NSW] Splatoon 2 (10 days) - 1.200.000

Aters

--------------------

10./08. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive)

I don't recall another console JRPG with this kind of leg in recent memory. This game was released in February! Four months and still charting, in top ten!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Bic Camera Yurakucho lottey:

99 consoles for more than 1,100 people... (last two weeks were 84 and 83 consoles)

I just found on twitter the results from Week 21. They had 93 switches.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Yukinoshin78/status/868675042296512513

So, using the same sample this is what we have from Bic Camera Yurakucho's lotteries:

Week 21 (May 22 - May 28) - 93 switch consoles => Media Create: 27.146 sales
Week 22 (May 29 - Jun 4) - 84 switch consoles => Media Create: 23.524 sales
Week 23 (Jun 5 - Jun 11) - 83 switch consoles => Media Create: ¿? (22k?)

Still, tomorrow there're some lotteries in other stores. So we can't make conclusions with just one single store. Anyway I will try to check Bic Camera Yurakucho every week from now, let's see if we can find a pattern.

With 83 consoles last week it was 27.291. There isn't a clear patttern but weekend shipments increased a bit. Everything depends on how much Nintendo shipped at Friday, but something close to 50k for the week looks indeed a good estimate.

sphinx

the piano man
99 consoles for more than 1,100 people...

what a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

that's over 1000 sales lost in 1 store, in 1 city at 1 specific point in time..

At this point it's clear Nintendo is losing 20k~50k sales per week, depending on releases...disastrous.

when does it make sense to divert hardware from less interested countries? I read there are switches sitting unsold in finland and other EU areas.

Zedark

what a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

that's over 1000 sales lost in 1 store, in 1 city at 1 specific point in time..

At this point it's clear Nintendo is losing 20k~50k sales per week, depending on releases...disastrous.

when does it make sense to divert hardware from less interested countries? I read there are switches sitting unsold in finland and other EU areas.
You really shouldn't put a lot of stock into those reports imo. In the best case, they have a superficial layer of inventory that hasn't sold yet. I really don't believe it's the case that there are thousands of units every week being shipped to countries with a surplus.

Aters

gotta give some credits to Zelda also, it has been in the top 10 and top 5 for too long for a zelda game

Zelda is one of the two games worth buying on Switch so I'm not surprised with the leg.
Nier though, unbelievable. For comparison, P5 dropped out of top 20 after five weeks. Even FFXV only stayed in top 20 for 13 weeks. Nier Automata is still chilling in top ten after four months.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
This week's releases

{2017.06.16}

[NSW] Arms <FTG> (Nintendo) (¥5.980)

--------------------

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking (2017.06.16)

01./01. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time <RPG> (Square Enix)
02./03. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo)
03./02. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time <RPG> (Square Enix)
04./08. [PS4] New Hot Shots Golf <SPT> (Sony Interactive)
05./05. [PS4] Gundam Versus: Premium G (Sound Edition) <ACT> (Bandai Namco)

--------------------

Yesterday was the release day of ARMS, and lots of stores were showing the game even outside. Switch units were apparently bigger than last week (even small shops that usually don't have units for selling are having urgent shipments, and today we are having lotteries at Bic Camera and Sofmap.

Reservations for Gundam, especially the limited edition, are quite interesting to follow. However the biggest one is Dragon Quest XI, the PS4 version is the version shown at stores and the popular one.
I always like seeing the store setups for bigish games in japan

hiska-kun

Zelda is one of the two games worth buying on Switch so I'm not surprised with the leg.
Nier though, unbelievable. For comparison, P5 dropped out of top 20 after five weeks. Even FFXV only stayed in top 20 for 13 weeks. Nier Automata is still chilling in top ten after four months.

And FFXV was in the charts because it was discounted. NieR is still full price.

Bitanator

So PS4 version of DQ XI might sell the most first week it looks like? It would not surprise me, people want a console DQ, think I might import it myself I want to play it so bad

Top Bottom