• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyperkin makes a SNES Optical Mouse

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Well this kinda out of left field.

tumblr_os9hqdl26T1qzp9weo1_1280.jpg

• SNES compatible
  • Perfect with Mario Paint and other compatible SNES mouse titles
  • Iconic retro-style color scheme
  • Smooth and responsive cursor control, perfect for drawing, commanding troops, or fragging enemies
  • 6 ft. cable

$19.99, ships July 6th.

tumblr_os9hqdl26T1qzp9weo2_1280.jpg

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
This is cool but I can't imagine the market for such a thing is very high.

Have you tried to use a mouse with a ball lately?

I think the real question is:
Is there even still a market for this device?

The SNES has been dead for literally decades now.
The mouse itself didn't exactly set the world on fire.
Most people who knew that the SNES had a mouse peripheral know only of Mario Paint when it comes to games supporting it.

There really isn't that much of a reason to develop and produce an optical SNES Mouse these days.

Very ugly

Pretty sure they're not trying to win some stupid beauty contest with this. It's a very simple design. It'll work.

We have about 7 or so otherwise-dead copies of Mario Paint in our back room, so I'm really glad an alternative exists to unearthing actual old SNES Mice to make those playable/sellable.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
We have about 7 or so otherwise-dead copies of Mario Paint in our back room, so I'm really glad an alternative exists to unearthing actual old SNES Mice to make those playable/sellable.

May want to contact Hyperkin to see if you can get a bit of a discount buying the mice wholesale and bundle 'em up.

Wonder if they are banking on people just buying this as a collectible lol, there is so many other accessories that are more badly needed than this.

rudger

This would make at least a little bit of sense if Mario paint came with the SNES mini...even then, wrong ports. But hey, I like remaking old peripherals

This remind of James & Mike video about Mario Paint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5jcc89-ge0

Mike knows: https://twitter.com/Mike_Matei/status/880203782134657024

I swear, this mouse was made just for him.

I used to spend a lot of time with Mario Paint when I was a kid. I would make my own Mortal Kombat sprites using the sprite maker and then animate them with the animation tool. I would even make my own lame movies by recording all my animations with a VHS recorder and stitch it all together. If I still had an original SNES (which I do not), I might consider buying this.

Never overestimate Hyperkin's quality control

Yeah, they can be really uneven. Their Tomee SNES/Genesis/NES controllers were/are pretty flimsy garbage, but their slightly more expensive variants like the "Cadet"/N85 NES, S91 SNES, and GN6 Genesis controllers all seem pretty solid and are pretty good replicas, considering the price. We sell a lot of them and don't get complaints except from the biggest purists who only begrudgingly bought them in lieu of old Nintendo stock.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
man, that Snoopy Concert game is really beautiful.
images

it uses the mouse, too bad Japan only, looks like there is a ENG patch though

Looks like it's skipping pixels in that Mario Paint footage. Though that might be normal. I never played Mario Paint, so I wouldn't know. Are SNES mice hard to find nowadays? It is cool that there's a third party alternative now, if that's the case.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I might have to get one of these. Young me took the ball out of his Mario Paint mouse and lost it, the scamp.

Top Bottom