• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PC) |OT| Enter Erebonia

Squire

Banned
I'd imagine either very late this year or more likely first quarter of next year, I guess.
Just groundless speculation though.

They actually said CS2 was also meant to be this year, so that might be sooner than people think. Good few months left.

Kalor

Is there really no way to get Japanese voices other than to make the entire game japanese?

You're able to replace the English voices though you need to get the Japanese voice files. The English version also has more voiced lines so there's a lot more breaks in voice acting if you replace it.

Jolkien

Is there really no way to get Japanese voices other than to make the entire game japanese?

There's a way to replace them but I have no clue how as I have no interest in playing with Japanese VO. English VO are for the most part doing an incredible job and there's 5000 more voiced line in English.

You can probably check the game steam forums it's probably floating around there.

Ascheroth

They actually said CS2 was also meant to be this year, so that might be sooner than people think. Good few months left.
CS1 was also July at one point!

But yeah, that why I said late this year or early next year.
Will surely be out before western CS3 release though, which will be probably same-time console/PC, or only a short time after.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
There's a way to replace them but I have no clue how as I have no interest in playing with Japanese VO. English VO are for the most part doing an incredible job and there's 5000 more voiced line in English.

You can probably check the game steam forums it's probably floating around there.

Eh, it's just that the english voice acting does feel a little stilted. The mixing is a little off as well.

It's not too bad though to make me look for a fix if it's not convenient to do.

Ascheroth

What the fuck kind of fucking garbage boss is the chapter 5 school house boss.
I have some very strong words for whoever the fuck was responsible for coming up with this abomination.

I turn off voices in most games that aren't The Witcher 3, and I did the same here. I can't handle people's awful reads and delivery in videogames, especially when the pool of voices is always so small and so many samey, made-for-TV actors pop up again and again.

Durante

Just finished, PC was a way better way to play than my Vita and Vita TV. What an awesome game.
Great to hear.
(It's nice to get back to this thread and see people playing through the entire thing without too many issues -- after reading primarily bug report threads on Steam for a while you start getting the idea the game is mostly broken for everyone :p)

Now I wonder how long will we have to wait for CS2, I guess a year ?
I hope not!

It's not too bad though to make me look for a fix if it's not convenient to do.
I don't know your threshold for convenience, and I would never condone any such thing of course, but from what I read about how it works it's really not terribly strenuous.

Ascheroth

I turn off voices in most games that aren't The Witcher 3, and I did the same here. I can't handle people's awful reads and delivery in videogames, especially when the pool of voices is always so small and so many samey, made-for-TV actors pop up again and again.
You're missing out.

FLD

Great to hear.
(It's nice to get back to this thread and see people playing through the entire thing without too many issues -- after reading primarily bug report threads on Steam for a while you start getting the idea the game is mostly broken for everyone :p)

Other than the two instances of skipped voices lines I mentioned a few pages back, I've had basically zero issues in 60h of playtime. So it's certainly not broken for everyone!

I hope not!

Out of curiosity, are you allowed to talk about how long the porting process took you? We rarely get a good sense of exactly when those kinds of projects start, so I've always been curious about what kind of time investment a port like this requires.

Durante

Out of curiosity, are you allowed to talk about how long the porting process took you? We rarely get a good sense of exactly when those kinds of projects start, so I've always been curious about what kind of time investment a port like this requires.
I don't think anything prevents me from talking about that. Note that for ToCS1, it was already partially ported when I got it (as in, something runnable was on PC, the OpenGL version). I started working on it in earnest in the first half of May.

Note though (and this is important!) that there isn't really "these kinds of projects" or "a port like this" when it comes to difficulty and / or effort required. It hugely depends on the engine in use and on the existing codebase.

FLD

I don't think anything prevents me from talking about that. Note that for ToCS1, it was already partially ported when I got it (as in, something runnable was on PC, the OpenGL version). I started working on it in earnest in the first half of May.

Note though (and this is important!) that there isn't really "these kinds of projects" or "a port like this" when it comes to difficulty and / or effort required. It hugely depends on the engine in use and on the existing codebase.

Yeah, I realize that there are too many variables in play here for this to really be indicative of porting time in a general sense. Still pretty interesting, though. Thanks!

Knurek

With your experience, both as a amateur and as a pro (SenKiseki, King Story), can you find an excuse for the state of Koei Tecmo and Square Enix PC ports?

Ascheroth

With your experience, both as a amateur and as a pro (SenKiseki, King Story), can you find an excuse for the state of Koei Tecmo and Square Enix PC ports?
Japanese management.
There you go.

Oh right, that's not an 'excure' that's just the reason.

Durante

1.2.1 is now selectable on Steam. The default branch will switch to that a bit later.
In addition to all the stuff in 1.2, this version fixes a few more bugs and adds a new shadow resolution setting.

I can find an excuse for the US/EU branches of such companies who are left to deal with the fallout, but not for the state of those ports themselves, no.

FLD

I can find an excuse for the US/EU branches of such companies who are left to deal with the fallout, but not for the state of those ports themselves, no.

One thing that stood out to me in your blog posts was when you mentioned getting the initial performance to a mostly adequate level and going "No, that's not good enough", which prompted you to rewrite the entire rendering back-end. I could totally see a less dedicated dev just going "Meh, it works" and not going the extra mile.

You're making those devs look bad. :p

Ascheroth

My god all those Chapter 5 bosses are complete and utter bullshit. Bull. shit.
Fighting
Nosferatu and I don't have enough Nightmare-prevention accessories and it's an utter pain without.
Fuck everything.

Nyoro SF

My god all those Chapter 5 bosses are complete and utter bullshit. Bull. shit.
Fighting
Nosferatu and I don't have enough Nightmare-prevention accessories and it's an utter pain without.
Fuck everything.

Yeah that boss surprised me. Normally a dungeon before a boss gives hints as to what the boss will do. But this one did not.

Drogean

Got texture mods working

Please see my master thread for a whole bunch

http://steamcommunity.com/app/538680/discussions/0/1471967615881539840/

jx9jddL.jpg

GQOvhU4.jpg

Eternia

I chuckled at the start of Chapter 5 when you go to the train station and as you're talking to
Lechter, you catch a glimpse of Celine running through the gate in the background without the camera focusing too much on it. Of course that was ruined shortly after you clearly see her slowly boarding the train though.
I also found that boss mentioned above was pretty nasty going in blind, first time I've died so far.

Opening scene of Chapter 6,
this is the perverted Olivert I've been missing. He just needed Mueller to nudge him back to the right direction.

rickyson1

got around to finishing the final chapter,got a little fed up with the overall pacing and stopped for a couple days
the festival being where it was felt particularly jarring pacing wise

pretty enjoyable overall,I liked it slightly more than the first sky game but not as much as the second or third

Kvik

Got texture mods working

Awesome work, Dro. I enjoyed your work in FFX HD. Glad to see you're still modding :)

---

I put some decent hours in the game on the weekend, and I have come to realise that the input lag on my TV is extremely high (It's a 2009 Sony LCD :p)

In the fishing mini game I only have to mash a single button most of the time(of maximum 2) to net a fish.

In the swimming mini game I have my rhythm right on the first try. Rean's practically in Erebonian Olympic swimming team now. :p

I can do neither of these things with my PS3 copy. Playing this game on a 144hz Gsync monitor is both a blessing, and a curse, since now I'm thinking of getting an LG OLED TV, and those aren't exactly cheap in Australia. :-\

rickyson1

couple random bug comments:

ran into that eye thing one more time at (chapter 6 spoilers)
the tank factory in roer when it gets attacked and you have a fight there

not very specific here but I noticed that the final chapter in particular had a fair amount of issues with the voices either saying the wrong thing or not firing till a text box or two later or whatever,it wasn't ubiquitous or anything but it happened with enough frequency to be pretty noticable

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
I'm of the opinion that they put the schoolhouse in the game so that it wouldn't feel like there's such a long gap between battling and reading, and so that you have an excuse to use characters that you didn't get a chance to use during field exercises.

Going through the levels serves no narrative purpose, everything narratively that happens at the schoolhouse happens outside of the required explorations. That's why I always recommend running through it. Plus, low level boss challenges are kind of fun too, gives you an excuse to scorch through all the extra items you have or dive into the recipe system.

Falcom has almost always designed their dungeons this way, that those who don't care for them can just sprint through them and enjoy the story if they don't feel like sticking around, and I've always appreciated that.
I see what you mean, and I take back that the game might have been better off if they trimmed some of it. Would have been nice for some of them to be optional though. I can see myself getting some enjoyment out of them in a NG+ playthrough.

Spoilers for the entire chapter 4:
Wow. What a ride that was. Did not expect Rean to have a transformation. What the heck is he? Please don't make me wait until CS2 or CS3 to find out. Emma's obviously been hiding that she escaped from Hogwarts, and is regularly communicating with Professor McGonagall for some reason. But seriously, I want to know what's up with her too. And a cat that gives Zeram Powders can't be bad... right?

Heimdallr's a gorgeous city, easily my favorite location in CS so far. It's always nice to have more Olivier and Phantom Thief B shenanigans, even if it's easy to cheat the latter now with CS' improved map. Sara being a bracer (and one of the best, no less) before becoming an instructor took me by surprise, even though it shouldn't have.

Chapter 4 just had a lot going on, more than I want to comment on. I'd love to super glue myself to my seat and marathon the rest of the game already, but alas, tomorrow's Monday.

So uh, has it occurred to anyone else that this is a Neptunia game in all but name and setting? Like I didn't really notice at first since I never played more than a few hours of Re;Birth before putting it down and never feeling compelled to come back, but as I thought on it I realized more and more that the battle system here is mechanically almost identical to Neptunia's.

So uh, has it occurred to anyone else that this is a Neptunia game in all but name and setting? Like I didn't really notice at first since I never played more than a few hours of Re;Birth before putting it down and never feeling compelled to come back, but as I thought on it I realized more and more that the battle system here is mechanically almost identical to Neptunia's.

Is Neptunia your only exposure to turn based RPGs?

FLD

Is Neptunia your only exposure to turn based RPGs?

I can kinda see the similarities at least as far as how movement, positioning and aiming work in combat. But that's pretty much where it stops. Literally everything else about the game couldn't be more different. The comparison is pretty insulting to Trails, honestly lol.

I love this game.

I was worried I wouldn't after people said it was a step down from Sky in most respects, but it feels like a chiller, simpler experience, and the low-level, schoolsy stuff is refreshing after level 140+ and endless trash mobs in Sky 3rd. It has a Persona flavor while still reminding me of Trails FC, especially once I went to Celdic.

I prefer the combat in this on balance, although I think I'm over-leveled/-equipped already (playing on Hard). I don't hate the orbment system, even though most of the nuance has been pulled out of it. Tracking things down and talking to every NPC twice after every cutscene is much less tedious in 3-D; I just enjoy walking around more in this, and if I ever do want to hurry somewhere, the fast travel system respects my time.

Mostly like the characters and writing, too, though Estelle/Joshua are more interesting than anyone in this so far. I'm glad I played 3rd first, though, as it makes speculating about
Olivert's plans against Osbourne far more interesting; plus I've already guessed who Alina "R." is.
I'm only just starting Chapter 2, though.

I love this game.

I was worried I wouldn't after people said it was a step down from Sky in most respects, but it feels like a chiller, simpler experience, and the low-level, schoolsy stuff is refreshing after level 140+ and endless trash mobs in Sky 3rd. It has a Persona flavor while still reminding me of Trails FC, especially once I went to Celdic.

I prefer the combat in this on balance, although I think I'm over-leveled/-equipped already (playing on Hard). I don't hate the orbment system, even though most of the nuance has been pulled out of it. Tracking things down and talking to every NPC twice after every cutscene is much less tedious in 3-D; I just enjoy walking around more in this, and if I ever do want to hurry somewhere, the fast travel system respects my time.

Mostly like the characters and writing, too, though Estelle/Joshua are more interesting than anyone in this so far. I'm only just starting Chapter 2, though.

Ehm, honestly I'm really not feeling the new Orbment system, for reasons beyond "dumbing down" or a "lack of nuance"

The problem with Arts being tied to Quartz themselves is that it creates stress that wasn't there in Sky - That I find myself consistently mass-dequipping the off-party of all their Quartz and re-allocating loadouts each field study instead of giving everyone a consistent build that I iterate on like in Sky.

I find myself constantly trying to fine-tune specific loadouts of Arts within a small number of slots and never being sure if a character has enough for the job or the right ones, or if I have enough Stat quartz equipped to match. Nevermind that this results in constrained Art pallets compared to Sky and it's titanic lists of Arts casters could have at once. Really preferred the old system of just targeting a specific amount of elements on a Line to get all the Arts a character would need, instead of having to equip Art quartz and balance them against Stat quartz. Phys characters have it so much easier since I can just load them up with Ailment and Stat quartz without worrying about Arts.

Is CS2 better in this regard? Like maybe I'm just stressed right now since I'm slot-constrained like in FC and just going through the motions of having to build characters without a full repertoire of slots to work with.

Ehm, honestly I'm really not feeling the new Orbment system, for reasons beyond "dumbing down" or a "lack of nuance"

The problem with Arts being tied to Quartz themselves is that it creates stress that wasn't there in Sky - That I find myself consistently mass-dequipping the off-party of all their Quartz and re-allocating loadouts each field study instead of giving everyone a consistent build that I iterate on like in Sky.

I find myself constantly trying to fine-tune specific loadouts of Arts within a small number of slots and never being sure if a character has enough for the job or the right ones, or if I have enough Stat quartz equipped to match. Nevermind that this results in constrained Art pallets compared to Sky and it's titanic lists of Arts casters could have at once. Really preferred the old system of just targeting a specific amount of elements on a Line to get all the Arts a character would need, instead of having to equip Art quartz and balance them against Stat quartz. Phys characters have it so much easier since I can just load them up with Ailment and Stat quartz without worrying about Arts.

Is CS2 better in this regard? Like maybe I'm just stressed right now since I'm slot-constrained like in FC and just going through the motions of having to build characters without a full repertoire of slots to work with.

I mean, you can have a shit load of arts by the end of CS if you use the quartz that have multiple arts along with stat bonuses packaged together which you'll have a lot of by the end if you're raiding every chest

Slots and number of quartz become less of an issue, but you have a huge roster of people swapping in and out to manage. Though the CS system is much easier to manage when it comes to large rosters than the Sky system. 3rd drove me crazy with it in way neither of the CS games could do.

Durante

I really strongly disagree with this. The similarities seem to begin and end with both having battle systems with significant positioning. The entire non-battle setup of the game, the game progression and structure, and even the battles themselves (if you look deeper than the broadest strokes) are fundamentally different.

Slots and number of quartz become less of an issue, but you have a huge roster of people swapping in and out to manage. Though the CS system is much easier to manage when it comes to large rosters than the Sky system. 3rd drove me crazy with it in way neither of the CS games could do.

You could edit everyone's loadout from Hermit's Garden in 3rd without switching party though, just like you can in Trista here. I don't see how 3rd is any more cumbersome than CS with a large roster. In fact, I honestly find 3rd easier to manage in this respect as I can see a character's Quartz, Arts, and Stats on a single menu and easily click to any party member quickly, instead of digging into a separate Arts menu to see a character's equipped pallet.

I really strongly disagree with this. The similarities seem to begin and end with both having battle systems with significant positioning. The entire non-battle setup of the game, the game progression and structure, and even the battles themselves (if you look deeper than the broadest strokes) are fundamentally different.

Well, considering you've played about 10x as much Neptunia than I have looking at your Steam profile compared to mine I'd say you're far more qualified to say this than I was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vkrili

You could edit everyone's loadout from Hermit's Garden in 3rd without switching party though, just like you can in Trista here. I don't see how 3rd is any more cumbersome than CS with a large roster. In fact, I honestly find 3rd easier to manage in this respect as I can see a character's Quartz, Arts, and Stats on a single menu and easily click to any party member quickly, instead of digging into a separate Arts menu to see a character's equipped pallet.
There's a shortcut button that immediately shows you what Arts a character has. No need to go into the Arts menu.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Ran into a nasty bug. After defeating all enemies in an encounter the screen faded to black for the transition to the results, but it stayed black, while music kept playing. Waiting for half a minute did nothing. Luckily, I save after every battle, so not much progress was lost. I don't know if the location matters, but the bug occurred after
a fight with a Durgnessa in the eastern part of what seems to be the final area of the Realm of the Great Shadow
(Final Chapter spoiler).

Picture of the enemy: http://imgur.com/a/U2zl3
Picture of the map: http://imgur.com/MYbFe47

Once again, endgame spoilers inside.

The version is 1.0.6421.30108.
You're better off asking one of us for a link so as to avoid spoilers.
Thank you, will do.

Durante

That's not good, it's the first time I hear about that particular failure scenario. Were you using Turbo mode at that point?

By the way, in the latest version you can set autosaves to occur every minute, so in case it ever happens again you should at worst only use one minute of game time (plus one battle).

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
That's not good, it's the first time I hear about that particular failure scenario. Were you using Turbo mode at that point?

By the way, in the latest version you can set autosaves to occur every minute, so in case it ever happens again you should at worst only use one minute of game time (plus one battle).
The turbo function was definitely off. I have it disabled in the launcher out of fear of accidentally fast forwarding through something important on my first playthrough.

Thank you for implementing the autosaving functionality. I have a habit of saving manually as often as possible, so I won't be getting much use out of it, but I'm certain that this will prevent others from losing progress. This particular bug, assuming it wasn't an impossible to reproduce one time glitch, can lead to losing up to an hour of playtime even with autosaving, though. Imagine this happening after
the V and C marathon
(Chapter 6 spoiler).

Ascheroth

Is there an Impede 3 quartz in this game, or is 2 the highest it will go? Asking because that quartz looks mighty useful but I don't want to spend Sepith if there's something better to buy later on.

Psxphile

Hell, the original PS3 version had a few crash bugs that were never ironed out so it's not surprising the port would have some too.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Is the Chaos quartz bugged? The description says it extends the duration of abnormal statuses by 2 turns, but Burn and Faint inflicted by Rean's Flame Impact Craft only last for 1 turn anyway. 3 turns of Burn and Faint would be stupidly good in the
Loa Erebonius
fight (Final Chapter spoiler).
Is there an Impede 3 quartz in this game, or is 2 the highest it will go? Asking because that quartz looks mighty useful but I don't want to spend Sepith if there's something better to buy later on.
There's a unique quartz you can find called Zeus Gem with a 90% chance of Impede and 7 points of Delay. Impede 2 is as good as gets for things you can mass produce.

Speaking of Impede, is the Delay effect applied to Arts, or to attacks and Crafts only?

EDIT: Tested Impede myself. Delay isn't applied to Arts (the blue arrow next to the target's portrait does not appear).

Ascheroth

Ah yes, that moment when you have maxed some Master Quartz', and they are beasts, but don't want to use them because, well, they don't gain EXP anymore and there are plenty others who do...

Also, my take on the Quartz system compared to Trails in the Sky:
At first I thought it was neat and would make managing that huge roster a bit easier, but I actually find myself shuffling aroung the Quartz' much more than any of the Sky games. And the 3rd had an even larger roster!
It's those Rare Quartz'. It feels great when you find a new one, but since your party composition constantly changes, well...
So yeah, it appears to be more streamlined at first glance but it's actually more cumbersome in the end.

Ah yes, that moment when you have maxed some Master Quartz', and they are beasts, but don't want to use them because, well, they don't gain EXP anymore and there are plenty others who do...

Also, my take on the Quartz system compared to Trails in the Sky:
At first I thought it was neat and would make managing that huge roster a bit easier, but I actually find myself shuffling aroung the Quartz' much more than any of the Sky games. And the 3rd had an even larger roster!
It's those Rare Quartz'. It feels great when you find a new one, but since your party composition constantly changes, well...
So yeah, it appears to be more streamlined at first glance but it's actually more cumbersome in the end.
I'm going through Sky 3rd now, and man I love this system. Mixing and matching shit to try and get Devastation Blast while maintaining cast speed. Its rough but its satisfying in the way that balancing pluses and minuses usually is.

CS just doesnt have that, just stuff all the best shit on.

obeast

Ok, so I'm really enjoying this game, to the point where I may not have the patience to wait for the sequel's PC port to see the rest of the story-so-far. I'll still buy the 2nd one, I'm sure, as I prefer to play things on my PC when I can, but I do have a friend with a PS Vita...

Google tells me that this series has save imports. My friend has not played the game, so unless there's some clever acrobatics you can do with Vita saves I won't have access to a CS 1 save. My question: what do I miss by starting the game without a save import?

Things I don't care about: bonus items, character levels, outfits, etc.

Things I do care about: character relationships.

Will my hypothetical CS 2 game be disconnected from my CS 1 experience in terms of character relationships because I don't have the import? Or does it play out about the same way no matter what? I'd guess the latter, just because it's way easier to design a game that way, but I wanted to make sure before I splurge on a Vita version.

Top Bottom