• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim League of Alamo Drafthouse extends mercy to noted blogger/molester

Zaphrynn

The woman I was talking about earlier? The one who reached out to Tim shortly after Faraci stepped down the first time?

She's invited anyone who has a story to tell to tell their story, and she will publish it while keeping their identity anonymous.

The first woman to take her up on that offer just got posted.

Welcome to the world of women. Where predators get second chances (and people chomp at the bit to give it to these poor, white men who just made a mistake), women are made to feel like prudish bitches if they can't handle the sexist "jokes" and "fun" (or if they get upset at sexual advances), and where your entire career can be ruined by not sleeping with someone (while people are told that you did). I would wager that sleeping with said person would probably ruin her career as well. She would get labelled.

This is the nail in the coffin, I think. It kind of already was, but I was giving more leniency to how long I would wait to see if they fix shit. I was effing excited as hell an Alamo was opening up near me, but not anymore. I'm not surprised, that's for sure.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Not to take away from the specif focus on DF and League, but that post also sounds like it should open up some discussions about the broad film review/geek community. If that's who I think it is, her story has always been a real blemish on that community and I'm sure there are many others with similar tales. It's great was given an opportunity to speak.

Not to take away from the specif focus on DF and League, but that post also sounds like it should open up some discussions about the broad film review/geek community. If that's who I think it is, her story has always been a real blemish on that community and I'm sure there are many others with similar tales. It's great was given an opportunity to speak.

I think some people assumed the Alamo was better than that. It's no secret that film criticism is heavily male skewed.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The woman I was talking about earlier? The one who reached out to Tim shortly after Faraci stepped down the first time?

She's invited anyone who has a story to tell to tell their story, and she will publish it while keeping their identity anonymous.

Yeaaah that's messed up. If Tim is using recovery as a cover, that's...really messed up. Devin's letter genuinely reads like someone who is going through recovery pretty thoroughly - but if he hasn't, oof.

Risible

I love Drafthouse here in NY, it's gotten me back to the movies after years of not attending.

Needless to say, all of this bullshit has made me question my support of them.

I am getting reports that Daily Beast is about to drop a big story about another key figure at FF.

Note the absence of a certain longtime advertising/support partner.

This will most likely not be cool news.

norm9

When I profiled League for the July 2017 issue of Texas Monthly, I asked him about the the lack of diversity in the Drafthouse’s upper management. He had just referred to himself as a “closet activist,” and he admitted, in an interview we did in February 2016, that this troubled him. “The senior leadership of the company is a lot of dudes,” he told me. “We are trying to turn that around. We hire the people we think are the best for the job. I like to think personally that I’m blind, but I’m a middle-aged white male.”

From some random googled article, the more I read about League, the more I dislike him.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I'm assuming a kindness as it's too late for people/vendors to drop out/not buy tickets now.
Yeah, that was my first reaction. Although I confess I don't know enough about FF to even notice a major advertiser isn't involved.

That's what I was thinking. It's too soon for anyone to really cancel any of their shit and not take a huge bath.

But it also kinda puts a huge fucking damper on the fest itself if it ends up being big.

I'm imagining a scenario where everyone's basically stuck in Austin for a festival nobody really wants to celebrate because all anyone can talk about is Faraci, League, and whatever gross thing Deadline's waiting to drop from their hindparts like a pigeon flying by.

I am getting reports that Daily Beast is about to drop a big story about another key figure at FF.

Note the absence of a certain longtime advertising/support partner.

This will most likely not be cool news.
Guessing it's about Knowles then

A damning account of the culture at Alamo. Such a shame. I've loved Alamo since I first went to check out Snakes on a Plane in the first couple weeks of my freshman year in college. I used to live a couple blocks away from the Ritz and went to a lot of terror Tuesdays and weird Wednesdays.

-griffy-

Banned
Slightly confused here. Would Knowles/AICN be disinvited from FF because he/they did something shitty too, or because they don't like or were critical of the shitty thing League/Alamo did? (not saying they were critical, I have no idea what their perspective on all this is)

norm9

Slightly confused here. Would Knowles/AICN be disinvited from FF because he/they did something shitty too, or because they don't like or were critical of the shitty thing League/Alamo did?

I hope the latter instead of the former. Right now, it's too vague. AICN twitter account hasn't been updated since 2013. And their website looks like how it was when I visited years ago.

Random Human

If it's true Daily Beast is going to drop a story about "a key figure", and it's true Knowles has been disinvited, that seems much more likely that he's been accused of something. But that's a lot of if's.

SeanC

LA's local Cinefamily (film community/screening etc) is going through a lot of crazy shit like this too at the moment, this makes me think that, and it would be best, Drafthouse doesn't open their LA theater that they're planning downtown.

I mean, the community isn't going to go for it. At all. Cinefamily is pretty much shuttered now. I was excited to have a Drafthouse here in LA but now I'd rather they kind of fuck off.

norm9

LA's local Cinefamily (film community/screening etc) is going through a lot of crazy shit like this too at the moment, this makes me think that, and it would be best, Drafthouse doesn't open their LA theater that they're planning downtown.

I mean, the community isn't going to go for it. At all. Cinefamily is pretty much shuttered now. I was excited to have a Drafthouse here in LA but now I'd rather they kind of fuck off.

Yeah, a full bar, strict anti-phone use, etc. ain't gonna wash the stink off the Drafthouse brand.

Knowles has had a cloud of dirt and fucked shit foaming around his ankles like Pig Pen for something around 10 years now. His weird stillborn web-show was some sort of financial boondoggle, and one of the first film community controversies I can remember had to do with that whole "Joe Hallenbeck" contributor to AICN getting busted for a bootleg ring or whatever.

Basically, if Daily Beast has something on Knowles, I wouldn't be surprised.

Although

1) framing this as being about "a key figure at FF" when it's a story about fuckin' KNOWLES and

2) attributing this to Deadline instead of Daily Beast makes the initial post that brought this thread back to life basically completely wrong in pretty much every way.

This sounds more like it has zero to do with Fantastic Fest and is just a warning that AICN is finally getting put out of its misery sometime tomorrow.

lol at "completely wrong." Deadline, Daily Beast. Whatever. It was corrected in minutes.

FWIW, Knowles was a founder of FF and is usually all over it. AICN has been linked with the fest since its inception.

-griffy-

Banned
Slightly unrelated, but AICN coming up made me think about it. I used to visit that site everyday like 10 years ago. Then it kind of started to gross me out so I stopped. Same with /Film and the /Filmcast. And AwardsDaily. And a bunch of others probably (CinemaSins, RedLetterMedia?). Is that just, like, how a relationship with a film website works these days? You read them until you realize they are kind of gross, or they collapse up their own asses, or are revealed to be pieces of shit, and then you stop? Is that just how this shit works?

lol at "completely wrong." Deadline, Daily Beast. Whatever. It was corrected in minutes.

FWIW, Knowles was a founder of FF and is usually all over it. AICN has been linked with the fest since its inception.

Just start a completely different thread dude

Or don't. You suck at this for the most part. There was that bit upthread where you saw a thing on a facebook page, then couldn't find it, then thought it wasn't there, then found it again, and never once actually posted whatever the fuck it was you were talking about.

Slightly unrelated, but AICN coming up made me think about it. I used to visit that site everyday like 10 years ago. Then it kind of started to gross me out so I stopped. Same with /Film and the /Filmcast. And AwardsDaily. And a bunch of others probably. Is that just, like, how a relationship with a film website works these days? You read them until you realize they are kind of gross, or they collapse up their own asses, or are revealed to be pieces of shit, and then you stop? Is that just how this shit works?

Kinda, yeah. Once the studios (and larger legitimate news services) figured out how easy it was to turn the enthusiast press into marks, they just... did it.

Which was generally to the benefit of everyone involved, except for the readers, except by that point the readers had been trained to accept rewritten press releases and pure, empty conjecture as quality content, so they were basically benefitting too, so far as they were concerned.

(I know Slashfilm is trash, but I'd thought the podcast was at least still okay. Haven't listened in a long time, are Devindra & David no longer doing it? If it's the full-on Sciretta show I can't imagine it stays good)

Random Human

Slightly unrelated, but AICN coming up made me think about it. I used to visit that site everyday like 10 years ago. Then it kind of started to gross me out so I stopped. Same with /Film and the /Filmcast. And AwardsDaily. And a bunch of others probably. Is that just, like, how a relationship with a film website works these days? You read them until you realize they are kind of gross, or they collapse up their own asses, or are revealed to be pieces of shit, and then you stop? Is that just how this shit works?
Yup. Or they get that AV Club redesign and you never go back because you can't find reviews anymore.

Slightly unrelated, but AICN coming up made me think about it. I used to visit that site everyday like 10 years ago. Then it kind of started to gross me out so I stopped. Same with /Film and the /Filmcast. And AwardsDaily. And a bunch of others probably (CinemaSins, RedLetterMedia?). Is that just, like, how a relationship with a film website works these days? You read them until you realize they are kind of gross, or they collapse up their own asses, or are revealed to be pieces of shit, and then you stop? Is that just how this shit works?

Or they are too good for this world and are forced to close shop because people didn't want to visit a film site with actually insightful analysis.

#RIPDissolve

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Does anyone even browse AICN anymore? I haven't heard that name in like a decade at least.

I dropped off of AICN when Harry's web series thing started coming out, the one that got kickstarted. That was after I realized there was no salvaging that site. A lot of the long time posters in the comments section had been gone for some time now and Harry had done jack shit in terms of updating a site that was already several years out of date in almost every aspect. It was a zombie at that point and I can't imagine much has changed since my last visit which was around the time Game of Thrones was just starting.

I am really curious what Jeremy Smith (Mr. Beaks) is going to write in his book. I always wondered who it was that was gonna finally autopsy this bloated body of the wild west days of online film fandom, and I'm glad its him. I thought for sure Faraci was going to beat him to it at one point, and luckily that did not happen.

The one or two times I visited the site, it came across snooty.

In what way? They had a broad appreciation for all manner of films and had a pretty friendly and engaged community of commenters. They ran multiple appreciation pieces of Cameron's Aliens! It wasn't all just breakdowns of classic foriegn cinema (which wouldn't have been snooty either).

Top Bottom