• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John McCain Official Statement: "I Will Vote No on Graham Cassidy Health Care Bill"

That's absolutely a problem all around, and includes people like myself. But I'm not sure how to improve the situation from a members perspective. Aside from trying to make ourselves better posters, what exactly can be done about it? Is that something mods should be contacted over?

I do think most people here want to make the forums and off topic better and have more discourse, but for one reason or another, it doesn't happen.

one of the problems is that in our 'fuck off' moment, if someone says "maybe we shouldn't just say fuck off, and instead have a discussion?"

insert mlkmoderate.jpg

insert that big youtube both sides guy

discussion is now entirely about that

and I mean, I'm not as married to GAF as some people are so it's yall's board, you can do what you want, but damn. It's like every thread is about the same thing after 4 or so pages.

one of the problems is that in our 'fuck off' moment, if someone says "maybe we shouldn't just say fuck off, and instead have a discussion?"

insert mlkmoderate.jpg

insert that big youtube both sides guy

discussion is now entirely about that

and I mean, I'm not as married to GAF as some people are so it's yall's board, you can do what you want, but damn. It's like every thread is about the same thing after 4 or so pages.

You’re this close to having loads of people accuse you of perpetuating the “echo chamber” complaint.

RevoDS

I think we've crossed the threshold of "fuck off" being the universal response for anything discussed in Off-Topic at this point.

McCain follows GOP party line --> fuck off

McCain roadblocks his own party's agenda with a dissenting vote, changing the course of history and averting a nightmarish national health care outcome --> fuck off

NeoGAF user praises McCain for saving the ACA --> fuck off

NeoGAF user praises McCain for saving the ACA, but still tells him to fuck off --> fuck off

NeoGAF user doesn't particularly care whether the ACA gets repealed or not --> fuck off

Anything short of just saying "fuck off" prompts a "fuck off."

fuck off

Ithil

I don't know why they get away with this utterly nonsensical and fictional account of how Obamacare was passed. It's like they're from a completely different reality.

I think we've crossed the threshold of "fuck off" being the universal response for anything discussed in Off-Topic at this point.

McCain follows GOP party line --> fuck off

McCain roadblocks his own party's agenda with a dissenting vote, changing the course of history and averting a nightmarish national health care outcome --> fuck off

NeoGAF user praises McCain for saving the ACA --> fuck off

NeoGAF user praises McCain for saving the ACA, but still tells him to fuck off --> fuck off

NeoGAF user doesn't particularly care whether the ACA gets repealed or not --> fuck off

Anything short of just saying "fuck off" prompts a "fuck off."

I think this is an emergent property of the modern political context, where it feels like the stakes are so high, you have to do absolutely everything you can to achieve the right result. Global warming, healthcare, anti-intellectualism, the military industrial complex, the school to prison-pipeline. These are all major issues that have real impacts. As a result, people may feel they can't afford to make a mistake, and one of the easiest ways to make a mistake in the game of politics, is to put trust in your opposition.

I do think in this particular case, it is a bit over the top, but I understand where the sentiment comes from.

It is worth pointing out as an overreaction, but it is also understandable to have that reaction.

Top Bottom