• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

leeh

Soo whats happening here?

37181783610_91f1c3e486_b.jpg
What happened here T10 haha?

Flousn

it will be crap. 1080p does not magically look as good or better on a 4k tv

I´m not expecting a better Image Output, but an upgrade through a larger screen and better color-presentation through the TV itself.

"Crap" would mean it will look objectively worse than it does on my old Screen. Or is that what i can expect with a modern 4K Screen? (Serious question)

I´m not expecting a better Image Output, but an upgrade through a larger screen and better color-presentation through the TV itself.

"Crap" would mean it will look objectively worse than it does on my old Screen. Or is that what i can expect with a modern 4K Screen? (Serious question)

it will look worse on a 4k screen than on a 1080p screen

1080p to 4k is 1:4. It fits perfectly.

1080p often looks better @ 4k with TV post-processing.

dont take advice from anyone who says something like the above quoted post. all the 4 to 1 means is it wont exhibit scaling artifacts. you will still have the blurriness, fuzziness and added aliasing/shimmer that comes with upscaling

leeh

it will look worse on a 4k screen than on a 1080p screen

dont take advice from anyone who says something like the above quoted post
Don't take advice from this guy.

Mate, I've seen it for myself on many occasion, I've played FH3, FM6 and OW on a 4k screen and they all looked a bit better compared to my 1080p TV.

I prefer using a monitor though, so I'd say they all look better on my 24" curved 1080p monitor.

Synth

1080p scales well. it'll look fine. now, if the base game was 900p or 720p. then yeah, it would look like shit.

720p "scales" just as well as 1080p does on a 4K screen. 720p would scale by a clean factor of 3, whilst 1080p scales cleanly by a factor of 2. Both will still look pretty shit when compared with resolutions more suited to the display (and especially at the sizes people are starting to buy them in). 540p would scale well to a 1080p display... That doesn't mean you'd want to be looking at it even as far back as 2005.

A larger screen would make a game look worse at the same resolution. Aliasing also becomes more noticeable because the gaps between pixels are reduced on high res displays, so even if the display is the same size, you now have sharper aliasing.

cooldawn

All the DC talk got me thinking, ex-Evolution's next game should look absolutely glorious now that they'll be on PC too and can go for the same awesome graphics without having to add blur to hide the low fps. I think we might get another "But can it run Crysis?" situation. Can't wait! :)
I'm really excited to see their next game. Depending on the direction they take the Evolution team is the only dev able to topple their own previous work and take the fight to Driveclub and Gran Turismo Sport.

It's going to be a visual masterclass.

And the trees in Forza 7 still manage to look better than GT:S...
Maybe you should consider some of your own medicine...
It's clearer. If you guys can't see that, then I dunno what to say. :|
...because in this particular case, they clearly don't.

KORNdoggy

720p "scales" just as well as 1080p does on a 4K screen. 720p would scale by a clean factor of 3, whilst 1080p scales cleanly by a factor of 2. Both will still look pretty shit when compared with resolutions more suited to the display (and especially at the sizes people are starting to buy them in). 540p would scale well to a 1080p display... That doesn't mean you'd want to be looking at it even as far back as 2005.

720 would look bad on account of being so low res though, regardless of it's clean scaling (the same as your 540p example) 1080p looks fine on a 4k TV though. not better than native 4k (duh)...not as good as native 4k (duh)...just fine.

...and if you're benefiting from HDR, you could argue it's a more appealing image too.

Flousn

A larger screen would make a game look worse at the same resolution. Aliasing also becomes more noticeable because the gaps between pixels are reduced on high res displays, so even if the display is the same size, you now have sharper aliasing.

So in the end, the Pro would be quite useless too, because if i remember correctly, a lot of the games don´t offer a true 4K-resolution or you have to choose between 1080p with better visuals/framerate or 4K...

720 would look bad on account of being so low res though, regardless of it's clean scaling (the same as your 540p example) 1080p looks fine on a 4k TV though. not better than native 4k (duh)...not as good as native 4k (duh)...just fine.

...and if you're benefiting from HDR, you could argue it's a more appealing image too.

so 1080p is the cutoff where its totally fine? jesus

So in the end, the Pro would be quite useless too, because if i remember correctly, a lot of the games don´t offer a true 4K-resolution or you have to choose between 1080p with better visuals/framerate or 4K...

No as most of the time it uses CB rendering to get to 4K which is a pretty good solution to not being native.

Synth

The HDR would definitely be a plus, yea. That's a separate thing from the resolution, but could cause the game to look more pleasing overall.

720 is only "so low" today because of higher resolutions. When we were used to 480p and 480i screens, 720 seemed great by comparison... which was also helped by basically nobody playing the games on a 65" screen. 4K TV's are corresponding with TVs becoming bigger... so yes, whilst 720p will always end up looking worse than 1080p, 1080p itself is becoming insufficient resolution also. That it scales cleanly to 4K only help prevent the situation being any worse... but you'll still get more defined aliasing even at the same screen sizes. And you'll very likely be adjusting to higher resolutions that will make 1080p look comparatively worse, just as all prior resolutions have over time.

No, the Pro wouldn't be useless. Whilst having a native image is preferable, higher resolutions are still higher resolutions. On a 1080p screen you'd rather have a game running at 720p than 540p, and it would look better than a 480p game on a 480p screen of the same size would.

The Pro has a lot of games that either checkboard to 4K (at which point you may well be unable to notice the difference between it and native 4K), and also games with resolutions that fall inbetween, like 1440p or 1600p etc. Those would kinda be the 900p of today, and would still be far better than playing a 1080p game on the same screen.

eso76

from the other thread

aasdap.gif

Forza 7 (can't be bothered to make a better gif at the moment, but it's enough to have an idea)

6RoNAz.gif

Flousn

Okay, thanks for all the answers.
Seems like the Pro is more or less the only option if i intend to upgrade my Screen (and frankly, i don´t think buying a new 1080 TV in 2017 is a good investment).

Okay, thanks for all the answers.
Seems like the Pro is more or less the only option if i intend to upgrade my Screen (and frankly, i don´t think buying a new 1080 TV in 2017 is a good investment).

Pro gives a lot to VR as well if you have that. The increase in that is worth it alone, also you gain extra RAM used at OS/App level and an extra USB port.

Flousn

Pro gives a lot to VR as well if you have that. The increase in that is worth it alone, also you gain extra RAM used at OS/App level and an extra USB port.

Not yet at least ;)
I actually wanted to avoid buying a pro because i hear a lot of negativity towards it around here (loud fans, feels cheap, bad build quality, etc.)

Not yet at least ;)
I actually wanted to avoid buying a pro because i hear a lot of negativity towards it around here (loud fans, feels cheap, bad build quality, etc.)

I'm on my second one, not through fault but traded up for the White model. Build quality is pretty solid I feel and I like the look of it. Fan noise I think is a lottery, my original was silent then got loud after about 9 months, this one is as quiet as a mouse.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Soo whats happening here?

37181783610_91f1c3e486_b.jpg

Yeah, some people have been arguing that compressed YT footage might not be the best means to do meaningful, side-by-sides but, well no amount of compression can really account for the differences here... I think, as someone else suggested, a push towards hard numbers for 'True 4K' marketing purposes might have been the culprit here.

Synth

Yeah, some people have been arguing that compressed YT footage might not be the best means to do meaningful, side-by-sides but, well no amount of compression can really account for the differences here... I think, as someone else suggested, a push towards hard numbers for 'True 4K' marketing purposes might have been the culprit here.

The bolded doesn't make an logical sense though, because the XB1X have in excess of 4x the rendering capabilities of the XB1, and so can do everything and more at native 4K that the XB1 can achieve at 1080p, so there would actually need to be more sacrifices for the XB1 to hold 1080p60 than there would for XB1X to hold 4K60. You can even see evidence of this in the game not only rendering at 4K on XB1X, but having higher graphical settings across the board.

It would be the dynamic lighting and weather elements that would most logically cause the impact, but even then I wouldn't use that to explain Maple Valley, because that simply looks uncharacteristically terrible when compared with most of the game's content. It's like when GT5 had PS2 tracks... as though they legit forgot about FM4, and just plucked it from the FM1 instead lol.

EDIT: Actually scratch that... just looked at FM1, and the trees looked better there too.. :(

Synth

Thank you good Sir. Certainly a downgrade, but when the game's moving you'd probably care much less. Always thought crappy trees was the best trade-off in general.

In a lot of cases that would be true. But not on this particular track where the trees where pretty much its entire focus, and the different colors always drew your attention to them. Even in motion these looks awful and stand out. Elements of the track that aren't trees look fine... but the trees are kinda everywhere.

They should have gone for a more faithful recreation of the track, with more sparse trees that were better looking. Or just not have brought the track back... because holy shit.

The best thing about Codemasters Evo is that it's going to be a multi-platform game somewhat free of plastic box console biased shitposting.

onQ123

The bolded doesn't make an logical sense though, because the XB1X have in excess of 4x the rendering capabilities of the XB1, and so can do everything and more at natuve 4K that the XB1 can achieve at 1080p, so there would actually need to be more sacrifices for the XB1 to hold 1080p60 than there would for XB1X to hold 4K60 . You can even see evidence of this in the game not only rendering at 4K on XB1X, but having higher graphical settings across the board.

It would be the dynamic lighting and weather elements that would most logically cause the impact, but even then I wouldn't use that to explain Maple Valley, because that simply looks uncharacteristically terrible when compared with most of the game's content. It's like when GT5 had PS2 tracks... as though they legit forgot about FM4, and just plucked it from the FM1 instead lol.

EDIT: Actually scratch that... just looked at FM1, and the trees looked better there too.. :(

1264319881771.gif

Not exactly

"Those are the big ticket items, but there's a lot of other configuration that we had to do as well," says Goossen, pointing to a layout of the Scorpio Engine processor. "As you can see, we doubled the amount of shader engines. That has the effect of improvement of boosting our triangle and vertex rate by 2.7x when you include the clock boost as well. We doubled the number of render back-ends, which has the effect of increasing our fill-rate by 2.7x. We quadrupled the GPU L2 cache size, again for targeting the 4K performance."

KageMaru

Different goals Forza 7 has been optimized to run on Xbox One , Xbox One X & PC plus it's one of the flagship 4K Xbox One X games so having it running at 4K 60fps is more important than the trees on the side of the road.

The game being developed for the 1X and PC has nothing to do with any of this. Those platforms have more headroom at 4K than the XBO has at 1080p. You shouldn't be spreading misinformation like this.

i think they accidentally loaded the track with lighting set to 0 instead of 1.

There being specular highlights on the road in FM4 doesn't mean better lighting. I'm guessing the issue with the trees has to do with bandwidth not scaling in proportion to the jump in resolution on the XBO. So alpha textures like some trees took a hit.

Synth

Well, ok. It may not be strictly true in regards to every aspect on the console, but in terms of real-world usage, it appears to be holding true (to the extent that even 900p a reseeing a decent chance of hitting native 4K on XB1X).

I'm not sure what specific conditions would cause this to not be the case, but FM7 is apparently not one of them, because the standard model is sacrificing more than just the resolution, which wouldn't make sense if the XB1X's native 4K target was shackling the game.

There being specular highlights on the road in FM4 doesn't mean better lighting. I'm guessing the issue with the trees has to do with bandwidth not scaling in proportion to the jump in resolution on the XBO. So alpha textures like some trees took a hit.

The road itself in FM4 (and the entire game in general) really abused the specular effects in a bid to look flashier. It's very much the odd man out when placed alongside both FM3 and FM5 onwards, and not in a good way. The effect looked pretty ridiculous.

onQ123

The game being developed for the 1X and PC has nothing to do with any of this. Those platforms have more headroom at 4K than the XBO has at 1080p. You shouldn't be spreading misinformation like this.

The fact that you said this tell me that you don't know as much as you think you know.

onQ123

Well, ok. It may not be strictly true in regards to every aspect on the console, but in terms of real-world usage, it appears to be holding true (to the extent that even 900p a reseeing a decent chance of hitting native 4K on XB1X).

I'm not sure what specific conditions would cause this to not be the case, but FM7 is apparently not one of them, because the standard model is sacrificing more than just the resolution, which wouldn't make sense if the XB1X's native 4K target was shackling the game.

No it hasn't , so far every AAA game I have seen make the jump to native 4K on Xbox One X has shown signs of sacrifice in one way or another but that's not to say that they haven't also had upgrades in some areas.

VirtuaIceMan

Neo Member
I'm not convinced on the night lighting in Forza though, I've been comparing to F1 2017 and it's really dark and not well lit (example of Yas Marina).

Top Bottom