• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

***DO NOT UPDATE TO 3.56! DO NOT UPDATE TO 3.56!***

2my4s4k.gif

MOD POWER ABUSE

charlequin said:
As I mentioned in the previous update thread, this thread will be for discussion of and assistance with the use of homebrew on the PS3 system, within the rules of NeoGAF. This means that:

• As always, advocacy of piracy, linking to pirated materials, providing advice for or guides on committing piracy, or otherwise engaging in inappropriate behavior with regard to piracy will result in moderator action.
  • Engaging in complaining about this thread being allowed to exist, accusing posters in this thread of piracy, attempting to start debates about piracy or the ethics of homebrew, or otherwise trying to grind an axe for one's personal beliefs regarding homebrew legitimacy will also result in moderator action.

I and other moderators will be reading this thread. We will certainly extend posters the benefit of the doubt, but these rules will be enforced to keep conversation here productive. Please try to keep things productive and respectful in here. Thanks!

END MOD POWER ABUSE

How we arrived at this point:

BBC break down of the PS3 being hacked
Summary of the PS3 being hacked

Following the conference, acclaimed hacker GeoHot released the so called Sony Master key that is used to sign any application that runs on the Playstation 3. With this key, others were able to get a hold of every other key including the PSP master keys (Kirk keys).

***Disclaimer***

*WARNING - We do not yet know how Sony will respond so just to be on the safe side, WAIT before you go online.

Just in case, block these websites from your router:

fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > Update Server (sys updates)
mercury.dl.playstation.net > What's new ads
nsx.np.dl.playstation.net > playstation store preview
nsx-e.np.dl.playstation.net > ads
(main file exchange connections)
us.np.stun.playstation.net > on boot initiates connection
ena.net.playstation.net > SSLv3 connection after above connection
dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > secondary update attempt (could force updates)
auth.np.ac.playstation.net > SSLv3 authentication server
(destination servers)
service.playstation.net (has multiple IPs if only the ip address is blocked)
(Error Reporting)
creepo.ww.hl.playstation.net (uploads crash reports etc.)

*WARNING - There is no BootMii or Pandora type of application to unbrick your PS3 if something were to go wrong.

*WARNING - LINKS/DOWNLOADS: Neither NeoGAF, nor any of its posters, can be held responsible for the content of external sites, or any damage caused by any software found therein. You use these sites and software entirely at your own risk!

NeoGAF Terms of Service:

The topics of emulation and piracy, including the technical nature of emulators and ROM images, hardware modification technology, as well as their effect on the industry as a political topic are deemed to be generally acceptable.

Linking to pirate download sites, directions on how to get pirated software to work, reviews or impressions of pirated software will all result in the banning of the user in question.
***Disclaimer***

Key websites to check out for the latest news:

IRC chats (All are on Efnet)
  • #PS3Dev
  • #PSGroove
  • #PS3Test
  • #PS3OT

What you will need:

How to install CFW on your PS3

If you want to be on kmeaw:
  • If You Are in OFW 3.55 : kmeaw>LV2 package(.pkg)
  • If You Are in OFW 3.41 : OFW 3.55>kmeaw>LV2 package(.pkg)
  • If You Are in Wutangrza>GeoHot : install the LV2 package(.pkg)

If you want to be on Wutangrza:
  • You Are in Wutangrza : GeoHot>LV2 package
  • You Are in OFW 3.55 : Wutangrza>GeoHot>LV2 package(.pkg)
  • You Are in OFW 3.41 : OFW 3.55>Wutangrza>GeoHot>LV2 package(.pkg)
  • You Are in Wutangrza>GeoHot : install the LV2 package(.pkg)

How to install Packages on Jailbroken PS3 3.55
Step 1: Plug your USB stick into your computer
Step 2: Drop file into the root of the USB stick
Step 3: Plug your USB stick into your PS3
Step 4: Navigate to the Game Tab
Step 5: Choose Install Package Files
Step 6: After it installs you will find the app installed below the Install Package Files folder

Homebrew that we are hoping will be released:
  • CFW with built in Jailbreak
  • MKV support
  • Ability to install any homebrew (signed or not)
  • Ability to run backups... install manager of our choice.
  • Ability to run otherOS.
  • Region free blu ray
  • Emulators (Dreamcast, PS1, N64, and more)
  • XBMC
  • Direct rom launcher on XMB
  • Allow 3rd party USB controllers/drivers (360 controller support?)
  • Allow 3rd party bluetooth (Wii controller, sends files from other blutooth devices)
  • Remap button controls
  • Better and faster web browser
  • Custom soundtrack support for all games
  • Easy to navigate YouTube and Hulu apps
  • Radio support
  • Homebrew games (imagine the Move and PSEye homebrew games)
  • NTFS hardrive support
  • Unlock saves
  • PDF, txt, comic reader
  • New features for in game XMB if there is enough RAM (in game FAQ - open txt file)

Emulators
  • snes9x 4.4.4-Super Nintendo
    DOWNLOAD
  • Mednafen-Project is under heavy development, there may be bugs, please report issues so they can be fixed!Supports NES, GB, GBC, GBA, SMS, GG, PCE. Zip files. Save States.
    Will support PCE CD, Atari Lynx, NeoGeo Pocket Color and WonderSwan in the future.
    DOWNLOAD
  • Genesisplus
    DOWNLOAD
  • Final Burn Alpha Multi-Arcade Emulator-Includes Capcom CPS-1,Capcom CPS-2,Capcom CPS-3,Cave,Neo Geo,Sega System 16 (and similar), System 18, X-Board, Y-Board,Toaplan,Taito,Psikyo 68EC020 based hardware
    DOWNLOAD
  • VBA-Game Boy Advance
    DOWNLOAD
  • FCeu NES Emu-Nintendo Entertainment System
    DOWNLOAD

Tools
  • FTP Server
    DOWNLOAD
  • Comgenies Awesome File Manager
    DOWNLOAD
  • PS3 PKG Signer Windows GUI
    DOWNLOAD
  • Brewology- Website to download PS3 game updates (even in PS3 browser)
    HERE

Backup Managers (Compatibility list)
  • MultiMAN 1.14.00 - Syscall36 - No More Lv2 Patch
    DOWNLOAD
  • Fw 3.55 GH/WNK Mega Pack (920 COVERS, 33 THEMES, LASTGAME, PS3SERV, EBOOTFIX)
    DOWNLOAD
  • Rogero Manager- Update v7.9c Wutangrza Geohot LV2v5 3.55 Stealth.pkg
    DOWNLOAD
  • Gaia Manager- Update v. 2.06
    DOWNLOAD

*Thanks to*
1. N.A for updating the OP of the previous thread
2. BigNastyCurve for helping with the install procedure
3. D'SIGNER's from PSX-Scene for how to install CFW

thuway

Can you add this to your lists of wants:

1) A direct rom launcher on my XMB, without having to go into the emulator and play the rom. For example, Final Fantasy VI is on my XMB just like Stardust HD. Is this possible?

2) An All-in-one emulator. Final Burn Alpha, SNES, etc. - all put into one giant program :).

xtop

great to finally have this thread. can't wait to see all the great homebrew get signed and working

Man

bandresen said:
As he says in the video, it isn't available to the public yet but they are probably going to release in less than a month.
The day I buy a second PS3 and hack my old one.

Jailbreak directions seem wrong. You just need to download the jailbreak.zip, place the contents in the /PS3/UPDATE folder, and the "install update from media" from the System Updates XMB menu. There is absolutely no need to power off the PS3 or do the power + eject combo.

EDITED with proper 3.55 jailbreak instructions:

Step 1: Plug a USB stick into your computer
Step 2: Download PS3UPDAT.PUP file.
Step 3: Create folder PS3 and then create folder UPDATE inside it.
Step 4: Unzip Jailbreak.zip to PS3UPDAT.PUP and put PS3UPDAT.PUP file in /PS3/UPDATE/ folder of your USB drive.
Step 5: Connect the USB device and select “System Update.”
Step 6: Choose Update via Storage Media
Step 7: It will say it found Version 3.55-jb
Step 8: Choose OK
Step 9: Accept Conditions and Install Update
Step 10: Power up your PS3 (You will have to do it on the console and not by the controller)
Voila!! You PS3 console on firmware 3.55 is jailbroken now

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
This is gonna be sweet guys....I'm keeping my launch PS3 extra-virgin but I'll be picking up a Slim move bundle in the next day or so for homebrew :D

Chesskid1

Banned
BigNastyCurve said:
Jailbreak directions seem wayyyy wrong. You just need to download the jailbreak.zip, place the contents in the /PS3/UPDATE folder, and the "install update from media" from the System Updates XMB menu. There is absolutely no need to power off the PS3 or do the power + eject combo.

Yup... that's the backup way of installing updates if you get a this update is corrupted message.

test_account

XP-39C²
Has anyone tried to run the SNES emulator while being connected to PSN? If so, does anyone know what it says on the friend list what you are playing?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Nice op.

If you're going to go with MKV's then you're also going to require NTFS or EXT3 support. I could then dump my media player.

wwm0nkey

test_account said:
Has anyone tried to run the SNES emulator while being connected to PSN? If so, does anyone know what it says on the friend list what you are playing?
It will say you are playing SNES9x. Ive been playing Megaman X and Link to the Past and keep getting messages going "WTF!?"

Also I would like to point out I only download Roms of games I already own.

bestami

The only thing i want is to get rid of the region protection on ps2 games. I own a 20gig japanese system however i can't play any of my ps2 games on it :(.

Not going to do any tinkering any time soon tho. Want to see where this is going in the upcoming months.

itxaka

Defeatist
test_account said:

Someone on the other thread said he was trying the filemanager and received a lot of MP from friends asking WTF he was doing, so yes, it broadcasts what you are doing :lol
I guess that if nothing is configured it will say the name of the APP (like snes9x) or the spoofed id (like the black ops backup managers)

Dabanton

Any idea of a potential codec update?

I wanted to play some stuff i was editing today and the PS3 wasn't having it.

KtSlime

bestami said:
The only thing i want is to get rid of the region protection on ps2 games. I own a 20gig japanese system however i can't play any of my ps2 games on it :(.

Not going to do any tinkering any time soon tho. Want to see where this is going in the upcoming months.

Yeah, region protection has got to go, it should be illegal. Companies want globalization so they can outsource jobs but they don't want globalization so I can do anything that is not in English, they can't have it both ways. :lol

Do you suppose they'll find a way to shield Custom Firmware from Sony, so you won't get banned when you play online?

Because if so, then maybe we could finally have cross-game Voice Chat? :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ugh. Don't have a usb flashdrive to put the update on. I doubt using the PSP 4 gig stick would work?

In any case, I'm going to wait to see what Sony does about bans/etc. on PSN before I do mine. Worse case scenario I wait until PS4 releases and Sony shuts down PSN on PS3/doesn't give a fuck and I can crack it.

As I mentioned in the previous update thread, this thread will be for discussion of and assistance with the use of homebrew on the PS3 system, within the rules of NeoGAF. This means that:

• As always, advocacy of piracy, linking to pirated materials, providing advice for or guides on committing piracy, or otherwise engaging in inappropriate behavior with regard to piracy will result in moderator action.
  • Engaging in complaining about this thread being allowed to exist, accusing posters in this thread of piracy, attempting to start debates about piracy or the ethics of homebrew, or otherwise trying to grind an axe for one's personal beliefs regarding homebrew legitimacy will also result in moderator action.

I and other moderators will be reading this thread. We will certainly extend posters the benefit of the doubt, but these rules will be enforced to keep conversation here productive.

One feature I always wanted as an official feature in consoles that emulator has is Save States. Gaming is so much easier/convenient with save states.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Durante said:
The one thing I really want isn't on your wishlist: the ability to disable HDCP.

I'm sure I saw a CFW that had that option.

Sophia

SNES9x 4.4.2 was released btw, it was linked in the other thread here

Chesskid1 said:
when you play SNES games in 1080p what does that mean? is it just blowing up the original SNES games to 1080p?

Pretty much, yeah. Some people like to apply one of the shaders. The CRT one that's in 4.4.2 is pretty awesome.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Rengoku said:
Awesome, maybe finally we'll be able to backup/transfer locked save files? :D

You can do that with the FTP application already.

Rur0ni

Updated to 3.55 via Sony's firmware page. Installed 3.55-JB via USB. Like 9 beeps and a shutdown. Powered on and had install pkg menu option. Installed SNES9x 4.4.2 and loaded up Chrono Trigger.

Success folks.

Danielsan

So what are the odds that we'll be able to play our digitally purchased (non-mini) PSP games and PSP backups on the PS3 any time soon? Considering the PS3 CFW community is still in it's infancy phase I'll probably take a wait and see approach, but I'd really like to be able to play my PSP games on the big screen with PS3 controller as well as backup my games on an external HDD for easy access.

Niblet

Teetris said:
Imagine if someone hacks MGS4 to only have 1 install

:)
But then how would we know when to take a break?

On-topic: I find the prospect of multiple CFW projects both great and iffy. Choice is always desired and its best that way. I just don't want to have a fragmentation in the homebrew community (assuming that is possible).

test_account said:

I've run it while on the PSN. From what I can tell it lists the name of the app you're running....so it says snes9xa I think

Top Bottom