• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 3.56 Feature Found! NO MORE HDD UPGRADES!!! (on 16MB units) [fixed]

clav

On boot up:

bool 16MBRomCheck = Return.ROM.sizecheck;
if 16MBRomCheck == true
checkhd;
bootdash;

func checkhd{
bool checkfile = filechecker;
if checkfile == false
PSN.Update;

return}

Blah I suck at programming.

kuYuri

Coincidentally, I did a backup to my external HDD before updating the FW. I currently have a 500GB HDD installed on my 60GB PS3.

Either way, it doesn't seem to affect me.

I didn't even know about the 16MB flash thing.

lucius

Bah, my slim is on the list and I was going to upgrade my hard drive next week. As bad as the firmware update that made controllers stop syncing with the PS3, maybe worse.

Danielsan

My 500GB HDD arrives tomorrow. Luckily I didn't update. Guess this means we're getting a 3.57 sooner rather than later.

Shaneus

lucius said:
Bah, my slim is on the list and I was going to upgrade my hard drive next week. As bad as the firmware update that made controllers stop syncing with the PS3, maybe worse.
There was a firmware that did that? I have a DS3 that refuses to work with anything unless it's connected via the USB :/

linkboy

Stoffinator said:
So that means I can't upgrade my slim? That blows if true, its only got 20gig left (on its 160gig HDD I put in).

For now, yes. However, Sony will push a new firmware down to fix it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I think I might have found something else new in 3.56 (I'd post it in one of the other 3.56 threads but they were all locked due to lolpiracy talk).

When you go to the second page of a user's profile card (the page with the breakdown of how many bronze/silver/gold/platinum trophies they have), in the lower right corner the total number of trophies they have is displayed. I'm 99.9% sure that this wasn't there in previous firmware revisions.

Really a minor thing if it IS new, but still.

I3rand0

Seraphis Cain said:
I think I might have found something else new in 3.56 (I'd post it in one of the other 3.56 threads but they were all locked due to lolpiracy talk).

When you go to the second page of a user's profile card (the page with the breakdown of how many bronze/silver/gold/platinum trophies they have), in the lower right corner the total number of trophies they have is displayed. I'm 99.9% sure that this wasn't there in previous firmware revisions.

Really a minor thing if it IS new, but still.

That's always been there since Trophies came out.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Hold up for a second.

1) Did Sony release a firmware that does just security stuff (aka nothing) and this was just a glitch? Meaning this is the first firmware to ADD more glitches than it fixes?

or

2) Did Sony fully intend to remove this feature from random PS3s WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE?!? At least they made it crystal clear they were about to fuck you when they removed OtherOS.

Either way it's reeeeally pathetic. If this is what we can expect from Sony's responses to piracy, then the hackers will have nothing to worry about.

Crisis

Banned
This is almost certainly a glitch that will be fixed by a forthcoming update. They wouldn't have disabled one memory size and not the other.

Go ahead. Make the joke. "That's right - the upcoming fixed update will take away hard drive upgrades altogether." Do it, you cookie cutter motherfuckers. Make me moist.

Okay, LOL. I'm going to upgrade my 20gig launch PS3 in a few months and Sony does this?

smh, I'm stuck deleting mandatory installs over and over to play games.

FLEABttn

Banned
spindashing said:
Okay, LOL. I'm going to upgrade my 20gig launch PS3 in a few months and Sony does this?

smh, I'm stuck deleting mandatory installs over and over to play games.

Your 20 gig launch PS3 is unaffected. smh indeed.

zeelman

First the hacking and now this, again? The PS3's OS is a mess. I really hope Sony can turn this around with their next console.

Dambrosi

Banned
Crisis said:
This is almost certainly a glitch that will be fixed by a forthcoming update. They wouldn't have disabled one memory size and not the other.
That's right - the upcoming fixed update will take away hard drive upgrades altogether.

You hot yet, baby? You know you love it, you ****.

Zeelman said:
First the hacking and now this, again? The PS3's OS is a mess. I really hope Sony can turn this around with their next console.
The thing is, the more complex a structure becomes, the more vulnerable it becomes - the more holes there are to be poked into. That's what happened with PS3 (unforced human error creates a fatal security flaw in an extremely complex program that is eventually found and exploited), and if PS4 is more complicated than that (and chances are it will be), it too will have more vulnerabilities to exploit - more holes to poke. Get it?

It's the same with 3DS and PSP2, to an extent. The more complex machines will probably get hacked more thoroughly, if not faster.

BAW said:
On average, 16 MB models get 10% fewer fps in games than 256 MB models.
REALLY? Boy oh boy, am I glad I have a CECHA, then.

Actually, hey - could this be why I don't have any framerate problems with Bayonetta?

BAW

Banned
Zzoram said:
Why did they drop the flash from 256MB to 16MB in slim models? Does it affect performance?

It was a cost cutting measure and was intoduced in the later fats, i.e. even before the slims. On average, 16 MB models get 10% fewer fps in games than 256 MB models.

FLEABttn

Banned
BAW said:
It was a cost cutting measure and was intoduced in the later fats, i.e. even before the slims. On average, 16 MB models get 10% fewer fps in games than 256 MB models.

Where's that statistic from?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Who says this is a fuck up? Sony is just taking out features again, like OtherOS. They'll probably rip out the pages from their manuals that mention anything about HDD upgrading.

lucius

Shaneus said:
There was a firmware that did that? I have a DS3 that refuses to work with anything unless it's connected via the USB :/

Yeah it was a few weeks before they fixed it with new firmware, only affected certain systems mostly new slims but others had it too.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Mailenstein said:
Sounds like anybody with at least 1hr programming knowledge can get a job at Sony's PS3 firmware department division.
They switched all the good coders to work on PSP2 firmware, obviously.

What the fuck is this bullshit?! So my PS3 is DOA until Sony gets off their ass and pushes a new fw with a fix? Goddamit.

How long did this spectacular snafu take to resolve last time... i.e. when can I finish my fucking upgrade? >_<

Are they aware of this? Can we actually expect a bug fix sooner rather than later?

Morac

Neo Member
I'm not sure why people call this a bug. It's actual more of a side effect of Sony's newer hot patch process. The 3.56 patch is a tiny patch which simply add/changes files in the 3.55 software. This differs from most patches which download the entire firmware. Since part of the software on models with 16 MB of flash memory is stored on the hard drive, those PS3's need to reinstall the software when upgrading the drive. PS3's with 256 MB of flash memory store all the software in the flash memory so it isn't lost on a drive upgrade.

Anyway since 3.56 is a hot patch and requires 3.55 to be installed prior to updating, you can't install 3.56 on a new drive. You also could install 3.55 when upgrading if not for Sony's software version checks.

In any case it's not a bug, Sony simply wanted to get 3.56 out quickly, hence the hot patch. Once they have most of the PS3 consoles updated, they'll replace the hot patch with a full patch and it will work for drive updates.

I expect that a new 3.57 update will come out before 3.56 is fixed considering 3.56 has already been hacked.

kitch9

Banned
Beer Monkey said:
You really shouldn't install this firmware anyway if you want to keep your homebrew options open.

I know, I don't know what I'd do without umpteen backup managers and sod all else....

Morac said:
I'm not sure why people call this a bug. It's actual more of a side effect of Sony's newer hot patch process. The 3.56 patch is a tiny patch which simply add/changes files in the 3.55 software. This differs from most patches which download the entire firmware. Since part of the software on models with 16 MB of flash memory is stored on the hard drive, those PS3's need to reinstall the software when upgrading the drive. PS3's with 256 MB of flash memory store all the software in the flash memory so it isn't lost on a drive upgrade.

Anyway since 3.56 is a hot patch and requires 3.55 to be installed prior to updating, you can't install 3.56 on a new drive. You also could install 3.55 when upgrading if not for Sony's software version checks.

In any case it's not a bug, Sony simply wanted to get 3.56 out quickly, hence the hot patch. Once they have most of the PS3 consoles updated, they'll replace the hot patch with a full patch and it will work for drive updates.

I expect that a new 3.57 update will come out before 3.56 is fixed considering 3.56 has already been hacked.

That's a good explanation and makes sense from a programmatic point of view. However, it does nothing to soothe my rage regarding the fact that I cannot install this new hard drive and my PS3, without a ton of effort, is a useless brick at the moment, as my 120gb from my slim is in my new netbook and the netbook 250gb is in the ps3. It took a lot of effort to switch and so now I'm pretty much resigned to not playing any of the new shit I bought in the last two weeks until they have the issue resolved. :(

kitch9

Banned
FLEABttn said:
Where's that statistic from?

The deepest darkest depths of his ass...... That would be ALL over the internet if true.

Those guys getting pissy over a minor bug should strap a pair on and realise in this world of massively complex hardware and complex software that minor bugs such as these should be expected and embraced. They will happen fairly often over your various equipment.

The mark of a good manufacturer is how quick they sort their issues, and this issue will be fixed and I guess fairly quickly as nothing is so certain then to say Sony will be reading these and other forums to find out what people are saying about how successful their hack fix as been.

corrosivefrost said:
What the fuck is this bullshit?! So my PS3 is DOA until Sony gets off their ass and pushes a new fw with a fix? Goddamit.

How long did this spectacular snafu take to resolve last time... i.e. when can I finish my fucking upgrade? >_<

Are they aware of this? Can we actually expect a bug fix sooner rather than later?
it took a week the last time, July 27th -> August 3rd.

kitch9 said:
I know, I don't know what I'd do without umpteen backup managers and sod all else....
you could not have to swap disks and save your precious physical media from the bitter cold that causes the disks to get brittle and crack!

kitch9

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
it took a week the last time, July 27th -> August 3rd.

you could not have to swap disks and save your precious physical media from the bitter cold that causes the disks to get brittle and crack!

Yeah I know, I've had to replace all my games 3 times due to the cracking and snapping when they are introduced to oxygen.....

Vagabundo

kitch9 said:
Yeah I know, I've had to replace all my games 3 times due to the cracking and snapping when they are introduced to oxygen.....

It is good that blurays are invulnerable and, even if OMG lightening strikes scratch them, Sony will replace them for you.

Get off yer horse...

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
What does the 3.56 even do, besides facilitating banning blops cheaters and (temporarily?) preventing upgrading HDDs. Did it complicate jailbreaking in any way? I'm still on an OFW, but I'm still interested in jailbreaking in the future.

Jinfash said:
What does the 3.56 even do, besides facilitating banning blops cheaters and (temporarily?) preventing upgrading HDDs. Did it complicate jailbreaking in any way? I'm still on an OFW, but I'm still interested in jailbreaking in the future.

It blocks the software-only Geohot jailbreak. There's no known way to softmod a 3.56 system at this time and there may never be.

styl3s

So i can't take my 80gb HDD out and put a 500gb one in? will my 1TB external still work?

i don't understand i am illiterate when it comes to this stuff

styl3s said:
So i can't take my 80gb HDD out and put a 500gb one in? will my 1TB external still work?

i don't understand i am illiterate when it comes to this stuff

This is true. You can't swap the internal PS3 hard drive out if you've upgraded to 3.56 until a new firmware is released -- whether that be an update to 3.56 or a new fw entirely (3.57).

If your PS3 is still working, your external drive should still show up, providing it showed up before the 3.56 update was applied (meaning that the drive is properly formatted to FAT32 and thus is recognizable by the PS3 OS).

styl3s

corrosivefrost said:
This is true. You can't swap the internal PS3 hard drive out if you've upgraded to 3.56 until a new firmware is released -- whether that be an update to 3.56 or a new fw entirely (3.57).

If your PS3 is still working, your external drive should still show up, providing it showed up before the 3.56 update was applied (meaning that the drive is properly formatted to FAT32 and thus is recognizable by the PS3 OS).
I will try the external in a bit, this is fucking bullshit i cant put a bigger HDD in MY ps3, goddamn pirates are ruining it for everyone those bums

Top Bottom