• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long does it take to beat ???

Everdred

Do you wonder how much time it takes to complete a certain game?

This thread is a collection of NeoGAF user completion times. Maybe you want to know how long it will take to complete your backlog. Maybe you want to know if a game is worth purchasing based on its length. This thread is for those types of things.

Looking at the minimum time will give you a good idea of rushing through a game, maximum will be for those completionist. #UsersPolled will give you an idea of hour accurate the times are.

When you complete a game post your completion time here and I will add it to the list. All platforms welcome. List will be alphabetical. Current list is kind of a general mock-up so that you get the idea of how it will look. Input is welcome.

If this thread is a horrible idea, lock and close.

Thanks to you guys, this idea has become a full fledged website called HowLongToBeat.com

Updated to post 327

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Also I think this will be fun when in the future, give we get enough data that is, when we can compare the average completion time of a certain game to that of it's claimed completion time by be it reviewers or devs.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Dead Rising 2 - 14 hours
Mass Effect 2 - 29 hours
Splinter Cell Conviction - 7 hours
Alpha Protocol - 14 hours

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
I measure it in days.

3 days or less is a short game.

4 to 5 days is a average lenght game.

7 days or more is a long game.

I'm not sure I care about this information as it can be extremely variable, but here we go.

Oblivion main quest + a number of sidequests + Knights of the Nine + Shivering Isles - 132 hours

Brashnir

UnluckyKate said:
Vanquish: 4 hours on Normal.

damn - really? I'm glad I chose to get that out of my backlog next.

Is that just play time or does it include the cutscenes? It seems so far like the game is 60% cutscene.

Everdred

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I'm not sure I care about this information as it can be extremely variable, but here we go.

Oblivion main quest + a number of sidequests + Knights of the Nine + Shivering Isles - 132 hours
I haven't really decided how I want to do it with games like this since they can be so different. For instance, the vanilla game for me took about 25 hours for main quest and side quests.

We could break it down to something like:
Oblivion - 25
Oblivion: Knights of the Nine - 5
Oblivion: Shivering Isles - 8

Jangaroo

Batman Arkham Asylum - 10 hours
Assassin's Creed 2 - 19 hours
Mafia 2 - 11 hours
Darksiders - 17 hours
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - 5 hours
Puzzle Agent - 3 hours
Bionic Commando - 360/PS3/PC - 4 hours
Trine - 5 hours

Brashnir

Hydrogen Bluebird said:
Cool thread OP.

I was just wondering how long it would take to complete the following games:

Batman: AA
Uncharted 1
Uncharted 2
Heavy Rain

Uncharted 1 took me about 11 hours, I think. It's been a while.

Everdred

Also I'll be going through my Raptr profile on some older games to see how long those took me. So you may see games appear on the list without new posts but I will obviously just average mine with whatever comes in.

Myriadis

Super Mario 64 :5 hours with all 120 Stars.I guess I can do 70 Stars in 3 and a half or less.I'm not speedrunning,btw.
Banjo-Tooie :15 hours for 100%.
Final Fantasy X:First playthrough,31 hours.
Starfox Adventures: 14 hours for 100%.

Kritz

Banned
Sure, why not.

Zeno Clash: 3 hours
Trine: 6 hours
Fallout: New Vegas: 38 hours
Mass Effect 2: 32 hours
Dragon Age: Origins: 41 hours
Mafia II: 12 hours
Kane and Lynch 2: 3 hours
Serious Sam HD: First Encounter: 4 hours (coop)
Dead Rising 2: 20 hours (All survivors saved, all bosses defeated, best ending)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
VVVVVV

first playthrough

3 hours

2 if you're in a rush, 4 if you aren't, 3 is the happy medium

subsequents can be done in 1 hours if you're cool enough

Hixx

Alpha Protocol: 15 hours
Batman Arkham Asylum: 11 hours
Mass Effect 2: 24 hours

All on normal, Batman AA and ME2 pretty close to 100% as well.

Jangaroo

Woops, probably should have pointed out that I updated my last post. Guess I'll just keep posting new posts instead of going back to older ones.

Pikelet

Went through my steam list and checked the playtime on games i have just had straight play-throughs with.

Results:

Batman Arkham Asylum: 8 hours
Crysis: 6 hours
Dead Space: 9 hours
Defense Grid: 4 hours
Fallout 3: 21 hours
Half Life 2 Episode 1: 5 hours
Half Life 2 Episode 2: 6 hours
Mass Effect: 17 hours
Mass Effect 2: 31 hours
Mirrors Edge: 6 hours

Somehow a bunch of my old games don't show any play time, perhaps it is a new feature that Steam has implemented.

edit: Made list alphabetical

Chakan

Castlevania - Lords of Shadow - About 12 hours. About 25 if you go for platinum.
Vanquish - 7 hours. About 30 if you go for platinum.

Mr_Zombie

I think it would be a good idea to also post how much you did in said game. For example, it's one thing to just beat every level in Lara Croft & GOL, and another to do every challenge and get all artifacts. The same with RPG - you can do just the main storyline and you can also do every side-mission.

That said,
Dragon Age: Origins - all side-quests done, normal difficulty, RPG noob ;) - about 110 hours
Mass Effect 1 - all side-quests, achievements for getting all dogtags, Asari notes etc., without the DLC - 31 hours
Mass Effect 2 - all side-quests, all planets visited, all DLC without Overlord and Firewalker, normal - 56 hours.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Yoboman said:
Is there an easy way to check this on PS360 or do you have to go into your games and check saves?
On PS3 at least you can just browse through your save games and some games usually show a timer on the save.

Here's what I say a first-time-through run of each Metroid Prime Trilogy game would take:

Metroid Prime - 20 hours
Metroid Prime 2 - 22 hours
Metroid Prime 3 - 18 hours

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Super Mario Galaxy 2: 11 hours (Beating Bowser)
Suikoden: 28 hours (All 108 Stars)
Suikoden 2: 34 hours (All 108 Stars)
Metal Gear Solid 2: 11 hours (Easy mode!)

Other then that, I don't have very good logs for anything.

Also, I am assuming this topic wants hard numbers and not "I think this long" right?

Mael

Oh yeah!
Metroid Other M : 12hrs to finish, 16hrs for 100%
I only made have 1 run of that god forsaken trash.

60hrs for Twilight Princess on my first run.
39hrs for the 3hearts challenge.

Mr_Zombie said:
Dragon Age: Origins - all side-quests done, normal difficulty, RPG noob ;) - about 110 hours
Mass Effect 1 - all side-quests, achievements for getting all dogtags, Asari notes etc., without the DLC - 31 hours
Mass Effect 2 - all side-quests, all planets visited, all DLC without Overlord and Firewalker, normal - 56 hours.

See, I don't like the "all side-quests done" qualifier because in certain games you can easily miss some (you didn't talk to a specific NPC, didn't eavesdrop on a specific conversation, didn't read a specific book, your class, alignment or the way you played the game closed some quests off for you and so on).

In general when playing games, I explore a lot in games and take my time

Dead Space – 10 h (might be a bit longer, I played some when offline)
Half Life 2: Episode One - 4-5 h
Half Life 2: Episode Two – 6 h
Half Life – 10 h
Max Payne – 6-7 h
Mirror’s Edge – 6 h
Overlord – 20 h (did a lot of sidequests/non-essential stuff)
Portal – 3-4 h

MGrant

Zelda: Twilight Princess - 29

Half-Life 2 - 10
Half-Life 2: Episode 1 - 3
Half-Life 2: Episode 2 - 6

Portal - 2.5

Persona 3: FES - 80
Persona 4: - 60

DC Universe Online (to hit level cap) - 35

Top Bottom