• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision/Toys For Bob Making Sky Landers: Spyro's Adventure? [New Spyro Inside]

//Mod Edit:

Kifimbo said:
The "new" franchise at the Toy Fair event might be Spyro. Called Sky Landers/Spyros Adventure.

superannuation Twitter said:
http://j.mp/hfBuOw http://j.mp/i4jHHh http://j.mp/i6u8Qh http://j.mp/fwPV8C — another Spyro reboot? do these games still have an audience?
Source: superannuation
superannuation Twitter said:
@miladesn Pretty sure. Believe it's being developed at Toys for Bob.
Source: http://twitter.com/supererogatory/status/34006538448277504

Activision has registered a bunch of websites:

Sky Landers: Spyro's Adventure
Spyro's Adventure
Sky Landers World
Sky Landers Game

This might be related to the "new IP" (the Sky Landers part) they're unveiling at the toy fair next week.

It seems to be developed by Toys For Bob, creators of Star Control 2 that Activision has since turned into a licensed games for kids studio.

Original:

Oh dear, oh fuck, oh god...

http://laurieannfranks.com/Home.htm

LXShadow from Spyro Forum did some research about Toys for Bob, and found... a horrifying discovery.

spyro1.jpg

That may be the new Spyro, look at the url.

X_X

More proof:

TFB_LF_spyro02.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Insomniac is turning in their grave crying somewhere and they don't know why.

Lijik

Even though the games werent too great, i really liked Krome's redesign of the character.
I really dont like this design, and my hopes that theyd make at least a c-tier platformer in the vein of the originals are dashed.

Rlan

To be fair, the last Spyro series (Legend Of Spyro), Spyro had aged to a more "older" look.

spyro_dawn_of_the_dragon_44.jpg

And Insomniac weren't exactly filled with ideas by the third game:

Spyro%2B3%2BYear%2BOf%2BThe%2BDragon%2BPal-Front.jpg

Skateboarding? Derp Yeti? Space monkey?

Dever

Banned
I like the model allright, it's a pretty funny looking dragon. It's not Spyro though. If they're trying to pass that off as Spyro, they're crazy. He wouldn't even fit on a skateboard. What's this, Spyro as an adult? Who'd want to play that?

I would buy an Insomniac-developed Spyro game in a heartbeat. Haven't paid much attention to the newer ones.

Haunted

One of those characters that should've vanished in the early 00s, along with Gex, Bubsy, Crash Bandicoot and the dozen other mascots that didn't really stick.

Thanks Nirolak. :)

But my god, I mean Dragonheart was an amazing movie, but ever heard of a new IP Activision?

I HATE it when these kinds of reboots happen, great in their own concept, but they shoehorn it into a known franchise and butcher it in the process. Banjo's also a victim of this.

The Legend of Spyro games could've just been called The Legend of Cynder.

Dever

Banned
Rlan said:
To be fair, the last Spyro series (Legend Of Spyro), Spyro had aged to a more "older" look.

spyro_dawn_of_the_dragon_44.jpg

I didn't like how these games seemingly tried to Spyro into some badass, it just seems forced. Were the games really like that? I doubt many people on GAF played them though.

Lijik

Dever said:
I didn't like how these games seemingly tried to Spyro into some badass, it just seems forced. Were the games really like that? I doubt many people on GAF played them though.
I only played the first two LoS games, but he was mostly an angsty shmuck instead of a brooding badass.

Toys for Bob are a fairly decent, unknown studio. The Madagascar games were better than they had any right to be. They also made the Star Control series and Pandemonium.

So in that picture he's still smiling and happy. He isn't angry or covered in horribly spikes. Are we just firing off all the 'lolz reboot' phrases we can? Well, he is slightly larger, that's pretty fucking dark yo!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Dear devs: Please, just let Spyro go. He was never cool.

His games succeeded despite the character, not because of it.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Spyro was popular 10 years ago. Thought these games did with the shitty sequels on the ps2 like the Crash games.

faridmon

I like Toys for Bob and I think they have potential as I really enjoyed Toney Hawk: Downhill Jam. so I am catiously excited.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
It never made much sense how Spyro was a dragon but he could only glide.

KamenSenshi

Spyro looks like an evil gremlin or something now. Where ever Crash whimpered off to to die is where Spyro needs to go.

RobbieNick

Father_Brain said:
Interesting on a conceptual level, but it'll have zero appeal to anyone but kids if the gameplay is that dependent on the figurines. Also, reporters should look up what "augmented reality" actually means before throwing that phrase around.

"For kids" is obviously what they are going for here.

RobbieNick said:
"For kids" is obviously what they are going for here.

Obviously, but this particular gimmick seems to ensure a somewhat narrower demographic appeal than, say, Mario or Sonic games, or the early Spyro games for that matter. I'm still a bit intrigued, though there's no chance I'd buy it.

Somehow I feel like Sonic actually made off pretty decently

I've gotta admit though, as a kid I would have loved the figure concept, and the credits in that article are pretty impressive. The character... Not so much.

Ugh Isn't Sony rich enough to just purchase the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro The Dragon Franchises and let Insomniac and Naughty Dog do with them as they please.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
animlboogy said:
Goddamn it, Toys For Bob deserves better.
This.

I was hoping this would actually be a flying dragon game, not another fucking platformer.

Top Bottom