• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite backgrounds in 2-D Fighters?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I have a veery ulterior motive for asking. Polycount is holding a contest were you take an environment from a fighting game and recreate it in 3D (I can hear the 2D purists with their pitchforks already).

It can't be a recreation of an environment. Just an interpretation of an environment. Like Chun Li's stage but steampunk or Balrog's stage in space. So I'll concept something new based on a stage and take it from there.

So now Im basically hunting down reference, I have a few favorites, but I figured this could be a good place to show off some of your own faves. I will probably tackle something with no characters in it, but feel free to post whatever you like.

Im also not a big fan of the obvious ... so while my favorite stage of all time is the Chun-Li stage of SF III, I see that as a popular choice and would rather do something thats a little less popular. Also, if anybody has links to galleries, I would totally appreciate if you would share the, they're hard to find!

Some of the ones I think have promise:

streetfighteralpha2japa.png

StreetFighterAlpha2-China(Gen).png

london00dz3.gif

ssivoldtemple.jpg

Wish I could do this one, haha:

fetus-of-god.gif

deserted-chateau.gif

Gravijah

The Lamonster said:

Man, you picked like the worst representation of that stage. Haha.

Oh yeah, one of my favorite stages ever is the Thailand stage with the giant statue. Pretty nostalgic for me.

I have a soft spot for Balrog's from Street Fighter 2. The hot chicks, the dudes in the background, the cars, the seedy atmosphere, the enigmatic NIN NIN... it was amazing in 1991.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Hard to find decent pics, especially at native res, but some backgrounds from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Capcom) are amazing.

HUTyC.jpg

3bc4t.jpg

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Last Blade, KOF 96-97 , Garou, FF3, FFRB, Samurai Spirits.

Also im offended by that 2D to 3D contest.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
AaDY3.png

If you looked at anything from Garou, KoF, SFZero, SF3, Vampire Savior, Samurai Spirits, or Bakumatsu Romance you will find so much gorgeous and mindblowing art that could never be replicated today.

Fatal Fury games always have the best backgrounds:

a11.jpg

bg05.jpg

mvs-rbff2-jeu.jpg

In terms of today, I think MK9 has the best backgrounds out of all the recent crop of fighters.

StreetFighterAlpha-Warriors'Dreams-USA(Charlie).png

StreetFighterAlpha2-Japan(Ryu).png

I wish there was a way to have my desktop background be one of these with a fight occuring. No, not MUGEN.

And both are from SFA2. Charlie and Ryu's stage.

Azure J

Whoa, nice to see Darkstalkers 3/Vampire Saviour locales get mentioned. Fetus of God would be all kinds of fucked up but awesome. I'd also put down a vote for Yun/Yang's, Elena's & Ken's stages in Third Strike.

crimzonflame said:
Came to post this...

Chauncy Talon said:
X-MenVsStreetFighter-DeadOrLive-TheShow.png

Fighting on a tv set. OOOOOOOOOOO YEA!
..and this. I especially love the MSHvSF variation of the latter, because of the little background gag that would occur depending on whether or not Spider-Man was being used on that stage.

versions3.png

Avalon from Children of the Atom is pretty damn impressive too. (Good thing it was an awesome stage, because you'd be seeing it a lot once you get up to Magneto...)

Solune

Capcom vs SNK 2 is my favorite game, and these stages are my favorites from it.

vi1uk.jpg

0gpmE.jpg

fZ3DE.jpg

And also, I'm not sure if this is stretching your criteria or not Raging Spaniard, but some of the stuff they've done in Card Saga Wars is simply awesome.

Take the Chrono level in this video for example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rnBRTEEfBw.

I'm not sure if you've followed it at all but they show a whole bunch of stages off in the "card support system" video, they have levels like Valkyrie Profile's first dungeon in the snow and things like that.

I gotta co-sign on the Street Fighter Alpha 2 and the Darkstalkers 3 stages, those are all amazing visuals. Capcom definitely hit a mark during the mid/late nineties. The stages from Street Fighter III: New Generation are all works of art. My favourites:

Alex's Stage:
vqcLd.png

Ryu's Stage:
E9xKn.png

Sean's Stage:
M6iE7.png

Another random stage I've always enjoyed is The Courtyard from the first Mortal Kombat. I've always loved the pure aesthetic that the game has.
gYOr5.png

Judderman

drawer by drawer
luka said:
AaDY3.png

If you looked at anything from Garou, KoF, SFZero, SF3, Vampire Savior, Samurai Spirits, or Bakumatsu Romance you will find so much gorgeous and mindblowing art that could never be replicated today.

I was playing Vampire Savior training mode on this stage a couple weeks ago and realized that I was fighting on the side of a building. Mind blowing moment for me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Solune said:
Capcom vs SNK 2 is my favorite game, and these stages are my favorites from it.
0gpmE.jpg
This stage and every interpretation of the original is fantastic, truly a classic stage.

Come to think of it, every Ryu stage ever has been awesome.

Threi

notag
VS is probably the winner for the amount of good stages it has, but for something recent:

m1npl.jpg

love this stage sooooooooo much.

ElFly

SquirrelNuckle said:
Lot of my favorites have been mentioned, but here are two more.

mk3mk2portal.png

I am no fan of MK, but this stage was pretty great. It always made me think "why are we fighting? let's mario our way there!".

N4Us

Unfortunately there aren't any larger background pics but The Fallen Angels had some great looking ones:

PS3NG.gif

yqJTq.gif

Emperor Bohe said:
Another random stage I've always enjoyed is The Courtyard from the first Mortal Kombat. I've always loved the pure aesthetic that the game has.
gYOr5.png

I loved MK1's atmosphere. It really felt like a playable low-budget martial arts flick. I don't like the silly direction the series took after that.

Top Bottom