• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anecdotal Evidence: Possible U.S. 3DS Supply Constraints (Check on your preorders!)

Skiesofwonder said:
Retail Report:

Just went to a Gamestop, EB Games, TRU, and Wal-Mart in Columbus, GA.

Bad news for us folks who pre-ordered with Gamestop or EB Games. Both have received their shipment of Nintendo 3DS and WILL NOT have enough units to fulfill their pre-orders. While both said they will be getting another shipment sometime next week, one went on to say that they probably still will not be able to meet all the pre-orders they took with the second shipment. As for selecting which select few get their 3DSs, he said each sotre will be different because it's up to the manager. But he imagines it will most likely be a first come, first served situation. So get ready to line-up for your pre-ordered 3DS units.

Note: According to the Gamestop website, both of these stores I visited are having Midnight Releases for the 3DS.

as for TRU, the workers had no idea about the buy 1 3DS game, get 1 50% off. No knowledge of where (or when) the weekly flyer for next week could be either. But I expected that considering the common TRU worker's overall lack of knowledge about ANYTHING related to the store. They did however have some 3DS games behind the sliding glass. They were all titles from Ubi-Soft and EA. They had the most stock of Madden, and the least stock of Ghost Recon. They also had videos playing of Asphalt 3D, Rayman 3D, and Combat Dinosaurs 3D.

Wal-Mart also had some third parties 3DS games in the display, with all having about the same stock except for Madden, which had at least double. As for when they will have 3DS hardware available for sale, the worker said you usually will be able to buy such an item at midnight even though they won't be having an "official" midnight release like they did for Homefront. The difference between official and non-official midnight release seems to be that you might have to actually ask one of the workers to get a unit from the back because he suspects they probably won't have them out on display yet.

Hope that helps.

As for my pick ups: Sims 3 is still questionable, but I'll be picking up Steel Diver no matter what anyone says. Most interesting launch title for the system BY FAR.

Also, a report from another poster:

darkressurection said:
GAMESTOP UPDATE:

Just called up my local Gamestop (which is admittedly not in a super tech savvy area) the dude I talked to said that they for sure had enough units for pre-orders. He also mentioned that tomorrow is the LAST day to preorder (Don't know if that is nationwide or not)

And another:

Deadly Monk said:
An email was sent out today stating stores are going to get more units on Friday to fill the rest of the orders but the main thing is, so far out of maybe a couple dozen stores in PA, no one will have any extras to sell. So only people who ordered are basically going to be able to purchase it until mid April.

I figured this deserved a new thread since I know a lot of people have them preordered at Gamestop. I have all 3 of mine preordered there, and I will be heading there as soon as possible after work to get the skinny from the local manager. I'll update once I've heard, but if what Skiesofwonder reports is accurate nationally, you might want to be prepared to fight for your 3DS system depending on your location and allocation.

Does anyone else have any other reports? Aren't online businesses still taking preorders? I am starting to wonder if Amazon and stuff aren't going to be able to meet their preorder numbers.

First come, first served? Instead of the chronological order of who pre-ordered first?

Is it possible someone would have to wait in TWO lines for their pre-order?

This kind of savagery is why I'm willing to wait a few extra days for an amazon shipment.

meltingparappa said:
First come, first served? Instead of the chronological order of who pre-ordered first?

This kind of savagery is why I'm willing to wait a few extra days for an amazon shipment.
Unless the shipment never comes because Amazon's pulling the same BS themselves. Its only 1 report right now, but it is concerning.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
meltingparappa said:

Yeah, I didn't want to bother with it this time around and pre-ordered on Amazon right after they put it up. They better stick to chronological order!

Like the OP says, it is best to call up your local store and ask them directly. When I called the guy on the line was very confident about having enough at the store and even told me that if a friend needed a pre-order that they were taking them until tomorrow.

Salaadin

I wonder how Amazon is handling it. Has anyones estimated deliveries changed yet? Mine is still slated for 3/29.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Would like to point this out as well.

Samoset said:
In most situations with console launches, if they don't have enough it usually is first come first serve for pre-orders. Happened with the wii launch at the gamestop I went to.

Call up your Gamestop just to make sure. I wouldn't want to see anybody who pre-ordered their 3DS LAST YEAR (like me) to NOT get their system on launch like they were promised.

Edit: If your Gamestop gives you a bad or iffy answer, I suggest hitting up Wal-Mart at midnight if it's not too much of a bother. Most of the time they won't have the systems actually out on display but if you ask a worker he/she will most likely go back into the backroom and snag you one as long as it is past midnight.

Considering I'll already be out, you can guarantee I will try it to be safe. :)

antonz

Cmagus said:
not really surprised its typical Nintendo at this point under ship = more buzz and hype and demand

I dont see how 1.6 million units is undershipping. Seems more to me a case of retailers holding onto the preorder frenzy for as long as possible due to the fact they get to take peoples cash and profit from it.

asdad123

Salaadin said:
I wonder how Amazon is handling it. Has anyones estimated deliveries changed yet? Mine is still slated for 3/29.

Nope mine is still the same at 3/30. I better get one at launch. I placed the order within the hour that it went up on amazon.

Sanic

Thanks for the heads up. When I preordered at Gamestop a month and a half ago, I was told I would be guaranteed a unit at launch, and they were still taking preorders as of yesterday, but I think i'll call up and ask just in case.

I'm hoping I won't have to fight it out at the midnight launch. I don't even think it would be worth it.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
We pre-ordered two from Amazon (Prime) literally the moment the date/price was announced and Amazon put them up, I hope ours are safe.

Salaadin said:
Did you pony up for one day? Both of mine show are 03/30.

Skiesofwonder

antonz said:
I dont see how 1.6 million units is undershipping. Seems more to me a case of retailers holding onto the preorder frenzy for as long as possible due to the fact they get to take peoples cash and profit from it.

Yep. Honestly it's a bunch of bullshit. And I wouldn't be surprised if Gamestop isn't the only one doing it considering how long the others have kept their pre-orders open as well.

FoneBone

meltingparappa said:
Yeah, are you sure that's not what they meant? What you said makes no sense at all.

EDIT: Hell, my preorder slip says right on it that they'll hold new release items for up to 48 hours.

jeremy1456

Skiesofwonder said:
I wouldn't want to see anybody who pre-ordered their 3DS LAST YEAR (like me) to NOT get their system on launch like they were promised.

The way I see it is that someone who only recently made their pre-order, but is there to pick it up on launch day deserves it more than someone who pre-ordered, but picks it up like 40 hours after it has released.

just called my store, I am guaranteed one on launch day, they hold them in order of preorder.

Guy said that they are still doing preorders, but not for the first shipment. Preorders taken now will be for early april.

Skiesofwonder

FoneBone said:
Yeah, are you sure that's not what they meant? What you said makes no sense at all.

He told me it's up to the manager but usually it's first come first served; As in make a line and hope for the best.

FoneBone

Skiesofwonder said:
He told me it's up to the manager but usually it's first come first served; As in make a line and hope for the best.
Specifically? Having nothing to do with the chronological order of preorders? I don't buy that.

Salaadin

Princess Skittles said:
We pre-ordered two from Amazon (Prime) literally the moment the date/price was announced and Amazon put them up, I hope ours are safe.

Did you pony up for one day? Both of mine show are 03/30.

Yeah. I have Prime so its was only 3.99 for one day.
I hope us Amazon buyers get it ok. I preordered it the day Amazon started taking them.

So if the 3DS actually sells out of pre orders in UK AND NA, I wonder how many units that is compared to other systems at launch, number of units sold that is? Regardless, they better not pull that fuckin shit again, I've got my whole thing paid off for (although I didn't preorder till the 20th of Feb) and they guarented me that they had enough units for me to get mine on launch day.

Skiesofwonder

jeremy1456 said:
The way I see it is that someone who only recently made their pre-order, but is there to pick it up on launch day deserves it more than someone who pre-ordered, but picks it up like 40 hours after it has released.

True, but not if he arrives 8 minutes earlier then someone who pre-order 8 months ago. Because that's probably going to happen to someone.

Fonebone said:
Specifically? Having nothing to do with the chronological order of preorders? I don't buy that.

They did it with the Wii (at select stores), I see no reason why they wouldn't with the 3DS.

samoset

FoneBone said:

Wouldn't it get way to messy to have clerks try and sort out who bought what when on launch day? I mean what if some people didn't show up who ordered it first would other who are there have to wait?

FoneBone

For the record, I just called the store where I preordered, and was told that a preorder meant I was guaranteed one on launch day, regardless of when I arrived at the store.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I also preordered from Amazon the hour it went online. I'm pretty positive I'll be getting one, although I'd be really disappointed if I didn't.

I really thought this thing wouldn't be as popular at launch as it seems it's going to be.

antonz

FoneBone said:
For the record, I just called the store where I preordered, and was told that a preorder meant I was guaranteed one on launch day, regardless of when I arrived at the store.
That is true as long as the stores have the stock for it. Policy is they have to hold your unit if they have it for 48 hours. Obviously they dont follow it all the time but generally if they have the supply you get it.

StickSoldier said:
So if the 3DS actually sells out of pre orders in UK AND NA, I wonder how many units that is compared to other systems at launch, number of units sold that is? Regardless, they better not pull that fuckin shit again, I've got my whole thing paid off for (although I didn't preorder till the 20th of Feb) and they guarented me that they had enough units for me to get mine on launch day.

As long as nothing has impacted the initial shipment it was stated by Iwata 2.5 Million Units were going to NA/EU

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Well this sucks for me, since I preordered and won't be able to pick up my 3DS until Monday.

samoset said:
Wouldn't it get way to messy to have clerks try and sort out who bought what when on launch day? I mean what if some people didn't show up who ordered it first would other who are there have to wait?
Yes they would I would think. It would def be messy. But if they stuck to their guns then that's that.

The reason this is concerning to me is that if I were a businessperson I would be incentivized to take as many preorders as possible, and bet that even if I didn't fulfill a person's order, at least 25% of the preorders that I took but that I didn't fill would wait for a second shipment, and I would lock down their purchase at MY store as opposed to losing it to a competitor.

I just called my store, in Baltimore MD, and happened to talk to the manager. They were still accepting preorders, and he told me I was in zero danger of not getting the two 3DS's I have preordered when I come in on Sunday morning. So nothing to worry about for me, but it probably wouldn't hurt to call your local store if you're concerned about it.

Teknoman

I'll see whats up when I head in this evening. Also sucks that i'll have to work launch day evening.

EDIT: It usually works like this -

Preorders are set aside while extras are for non-preorders. If the extras run out day one, the preorders arent supposed to be sold.

Now if you dont pick up what you preordered a few days after launch, and they still dont have extras, then thats when preorders start getting sold. At least thats how it works with games...i'd think something as important as hardware would be the same.

Dave Long

Banned
Amazon always seems to fulfill in order from first order to last order. So if you were ordering on the day they went up, I'd guess you're ok for sure.

I certainly don't expect any problem receiving the one I ordered on the day they were made available.

FoneBone

Teknoman said:
Preorders are set aside while extras are for non-preorders. If the extras run out day one, the preorders arent supposed to be sold.

Now if you dont pick up what you preordered a few days after launch, and they still dont have extras, then thats when preorders start getting sold. At least thats how it works with games...i'd think something as important as hardware would be the same.
Right, but what we're talking about is what happens when there aren't any non-preorder extras.

Anyway, I know we're all only talking anecdotally, but I spoke to the manager at the store where I preordered, and was told the same thing in very specific terms.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
amazon is listing april 5-7 for mine, but i used super saver. (scared to change it in case i lose my place in line somehow)

MooMoo

Htown said:
amazon is listing april 5-7 for mine, but i used super saver. (scared to change it in case i lose my place in line somehow)
Changing your shipping speed shouldn't affect your place in the queue. I don't know where people get this silly notion that it does lol.

matmanx1

I know my store had 81 pre-orders and when I checked yesterday (I'm off today so I can't check now) we had exactly 81 3DS's on the inbound shipping log. I'm guessing most stores should be able to cover pre-orders but will not have any for walk ins unless someone decides to cancel a pre-order.

Obviously this could be different for every store so definitely call and check if you have any doubt.

Just called my gamestop, they're like 3 short and they said they're doing first come first served for those who reserved. Awful. They're hoping to get a few more in but seriously.

EDIT: This is the South Campus Gateway store near the OSU campus in Columbus Ohio, so it might just be an issue in cities named Columbus.

A Twisty Fluken said:
Just called my gamestop, they're like 3 short and they said they're doing first come first served for those who reserved. Awful.
Uh-oh. I was waiting for the 2nd confirmation of this problem before officially adopting my sad face.

It is now adopted. Straight to gamestop after work...

Top Bottom