• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I nod off no matter what time of day it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakeh111

Last few years I have noticed that no matter what time of the day it is if I lay down and watch tv I nod off, if I lay down to read a book I nod off, if Im at a show sitting down after having a beer I nod off, sitting at the computer I nod off, driving I nod off, at the movie I nod off. It goes on and on, I get 8 hours of sleep a night and dont feel tired but it just happens! What can I do to get out of this funk!?

iamcenok

Same exact thing happens to me all the time as of late as well..

I can get a good full nights sleep, wake up.. then an hour or 2 later I find myself getting sleepy and a while after that, BAM.. asleep. Shit's weird

Jakeh111 said:
Last few years I have noticed that no matter what time of the day it is if I lay down and watch tv I nod off, if I lay down to read a book I nod off, if Im at a show sitting down after having a beer I nod off, sitting at the computer I nod off, driving I nod off, at the movie I nod off. It goes on and on, I get 8 hours of sleep a night and dont feel tired but it just happens! What can I do to get out of this funk!?
Errr dude? I think you can guess the answer here: visit a goddamn doctor. If 8 hours of sleep aInt working for ya, something must be up.

brianjones said:
same here sometimes i nod off mid sennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
I was gonna make this joke but now that I've seen it demonstrated I'm kind of glad I didn't.

I sort of do that too, mostly during classes though.

Little does everyone else in the class know that I'm the reason the light don't go off during videos/lectures.

I am sorta the same way except I only get 4-5hrs a night. I doze off when watching long movies, riding in the passenger seat, and after meals. Although vitamins, drinking water and eating well helps keep my energy level up some so I don't doze as much as I used to.

FStop7

Banned
Jakeh111 said:

I nod off a lot, too. And I also get plenty of sleep. Fortunately it's never been a problem when driving. But I've come close to falling asleep at work on several occasions. It's embarrassing. People think I stay up late or that I'm slacking off. But my desk is very peaceful and when I'm reading something it's very easy for me to relax to the point where I can doze. It's also a real problem at meetings and lectures. Long, drawn out presentations can knock me out. It's terrible.

I just completed a training class that ran from 7AM - 3:30PM all week. During our lunch break I would go and find a comfy chair in a corner and zone out/snooze for the hour. It helped a lot. When the class would resume I'd feel energized and had no problem staying focused for the rest of the day.

I think more exercise might help. You'd think it would make you more tired but it kick starts your metabolism and raises your energy level. At least that's been my experience.

Good luck with your problem, you're definitely not alone.

daffy

Banned
Jakeh111 said:
I guess I should see a doctor but I really cant afford it atm and no health care (GO America)
We got you in 2014. Until then just stay in the sunlight and for god's sake keep the TV on!

One time I was in a big lecture-style class and I just knocked out with no recollection that I was falling asleep. I woke up as everyone was leaving and I had a bee line of drool running down my face, suffice to say the love interest was not impressed.

Jakeh111

Yeah school was funny, I would always be in that phase between being asleep and awake with my eyes all in the back of my head I bet the teacher thought I was some retard lol

And when I said nod off in the car I didnt mean fall asleep and the wheel but I my eyelids would get very heavy, Im sure its just as dangerous though

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
Uh, so sleep more than 8 hours?

I'm a doctor, you can trust me.

cocaine_cat.jpg

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Sleep apnea can do stuff like that.

On the other hand, back in college I started nodding off every time I sat down. I started exercising, and the problem went away. Really upped my energy levels all around.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Exercise. Seriously, get active. Go for a walk, go to the gym, the pool, whatever. I used to get like this after a few months of doing nothing, then I went for a run every morning and felt a thousand times better. The human body is not designed for a sedentary lifestyle.

lifa-cobex

Ushojax said:
Exercise. Seriously, get active. Go for a walk, go to the gym, the pool, whatever. I used to get like this after a few months of doing nothing, then I went for a run every morning and felt a thousand times better. The human body is not designed for a sedentary lifestyle.

100% this.
Find a healthy diet too.

Probably would go to the doctor's just to be safe though.

JimiNutz

Banned
I get this every time I eat.
The worst is when I have an important all day meeting and we take a lunch break.

I'll be wide awake, eat lunch, come back for the afternoon session and BAM without fail I'm falling asleep.
Like actually struggling to keep my eyes open and nodding off in front of everyone.

It's embarrassing, especially during important meetings lol.

Freshmaker said:
Sleep apnea can do stuff like that.

On the other hand, back in college I started nodding off every time I sat down. I started exercising, and the problem went away. Really upped my energy levels all around.

Yessir. Coffee doesn't work on me generally speaking but exercising has worked wonders for my energy levels.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Same here I have no problem waking up @ 5:00am. I can work/be active all day whatever as long as I don't stop. If I stop/sit down its all over. Even when I'm off and rested as soon as I hit a couch I'm falling asleep.for what its worth I average about 6 hrs. Of sleep a night

Jesus, this happens to me. I thought coffee was the only thing to do for it. Exercise, I'm gonna have to try that now.

In the last few days I had a daytime massage and fell asleep. With my girlfriend next to me. And I was snoring. Embarrassing.

Happens when I'm driving back after 8ish, so I always have a red bull now. Can't watch a movie without falling asleep unless I have a red bull/coffee.

I sleep late (2am) but I also wake up quite late, about 9am or so, and naturally at that (student lifestyle). That's still a good 7 hours.

Nose Master

Wanna switch? If it only takes me two hours of laying still without doing anything else to fall asleep, it's a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom