• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sweden just got a new 5 star jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manager

EDIT: To clarify, since a lot of people keep pointing out that this is a custody and not a prison:
Manager said:
But the PRISONS look the god damn same, this custody just happen to be the most recently built.

Swedish prison cell:
fangelse_1146784b_0.jpg

Photo is several years old so that phat TV is probably exchanged into a LCD.

If I remember it correctly this one is of a "well-known" murderer:
3d00edbd6090b062

Random:
ung_79756763.jpg

Here's one from a prison for attempted murders, drug dealers and violence related crimes:
885235_366_275.jpg

/End edit//

haktessido1.jpg

haktessido2.jpg

haktessido3.jpg

topphakten.jpg

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article12798075.ab (Swedish)

This isn't the first one like this (it's a custody, but the prisons look similar), there has been several of these built during the last couple of years. Everyone has their own toilet with sink and mirror, 240 """cells""" in total, installed with flatscreens (videogames allowed) and design furnitures. (Northern) European governments talk about rehabilitation of prisoners, so basically that's the reason why it's so luxurious. Not really sure why they couldn't just get Ikea furnitures at least, and not that expensive crap.

There was a guy from Estonia last year, who came to Sweden and killed some random guy to be able to sit in these prisons. Not sure if they counted on that to happen when building these hotels.
_____

Found this, top-5 luxurious prison cells:
http://www.wackyowl.com/5-luxurious-prison-cells/

In that link, there's some prison in California where you pay ~$100 a night to stay in (and it's still not as luxurious as this). Austria and Norway seem to have decent one's.

So, how does the American prisons look these days? In other European countries?

Divius

What the what? The only thing prison-y about that are the bars in front of the windows. Looks like a luxury hotel or something.

Zomba13

Nicer than my room. They get meals and that yeah? What sort of thing do I have to do to get put away in one of them?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Man, if I ever commit some crimes it will be in Sweden.

And they will be sexy lady crimes.

DonMigs85

If I commit a heinous crime like jaywalking in Sweden, will they deport me or do I get to stay a few years in this nice prison?

aku:jiki

Manager said:
Not really sure why they couldn't just get Ikea furnitures at least, and not that expensive crap.
You haven't been to Ikea since, like, 1987, man? Everything in these pictures looks like Ikea to me.

Fjolle

Damn, Swedish cops have a lot of jpeg compression artifacts. One would expect that they fitted in their Volvos uncompressed.

And we're planning on building a similar one in Denmark. Maybe it's time to consider a career change :)

Suairyu

Banned
Xyphie said:
No joke that room is nicer than my student flat. :(

What's wrong with this country, srsly.
More like what's wrong with your student flat. Designer furniture and flatscreen TVs (apparently) aside, there's nothing there that shouldn't be demanded of everyone. Gym equipment is a necessity due to them not being able to go outside and exercise.

I approve of this. Treating prison and rehabilitation and education rather than punishment is a heap-ton more productive. The designer furniture is overkill, though. That's probably taking it took far.

Tence said:
Looking good!

That last one might be a photoshop though.
I didn't believe you at first but if you look carefully you can see some pixels around the ears. Is anyone here an expert?

Manager

aku:jiki said:
You haven't been to Ikea since, like, 1987, man? Everything in these pictures looks like Ikea to me.

The article says it's designer furnitures (not Ikea). I agree it looks like Ikea, which I bet is cheaper than the alternative they picked.

Some of the furnitures were made in other jails though. The Swedish government has started up a brand for it, "Made in Jail":
http://www.thelocal.se/9539/20080102/

So basically prisoners are paid by the hour to make furnitures, sunglasses, jeans etc, while being in jail.

Suairyu said:
Designer furniture
Since nobody on GAF has ever been at Ikea, apparently, a random showroom from their 2011 collection:

ikea-2011-living-room-1.jpg

Just sayin'. The discussion is dishonest if we're going to pretend that these couches were like $1000 rather than $150.

Fjolle

Suairyu said:
I didn't believe you at first but if you look carefully you can see some pixels around the ears. Is anyone here an expert?
From my years of experience and by carefully examining the pixels in the upper right corner I figured out that they spell out "This is a photoshop" in swedish.

Not sure what that means.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
well in an american prison there would be 4 guys in that room, and uh it would be a lot smaller and they would sleep on shitty cots and have a nice view of brick walls and bars

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
aku:jiki said:
Since nobody on GAF has ever been at Ikea, apparently, a random showroom from their 2011 collection:

ikea-2011-living-room-1.jpg

Just sayin'. The discussion is dishonest if we're going to pretend that these couches were like $1000 rather than $150.
Thank you internet detective :p I think we all knew that. haha

xxracerxx said:
Thank you internet detective :p I think we all knew that. haha
Yes, let's ignore that I actually quoted a post that didn't.

Like my post says; just saying. What's the point of talking about this like they spent $10k on each room when they clearly didn't?

Kabouter

Cells here in the Netherlands from what I could find:
4m80 by 2m40, one person per cell
Prisoner can bring a radio, rent a small TV (no videogames afaik)
Cell has bed, desk, chair, closet, toilet
One hour a week for visitors, ten minutes a week on the phone

Jail in my city (Currently partially rented out to Belgium):
gevangenis.jpg

All seems fair enough.

I remember reading about this a while. Apparently, Sweden has the lowest reoffending rate (or one of) so they must be doing something right. But to be honest. Spending a night in ikea seems like hell to me anyway.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I got to feel sorry how the homeles are treat in compared to the luxery prisoners are getting today. It's insane.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah, but you'll find the videogame system is a RRoD'd 360 with Kinectimals and no Kinect.

Polari

Looks shitty to me. Just looks like what a prison would if you traded concrete and steel for plywood and ugly black microfibre upholstery. Fuck that.

CiSTM

Banned
Reminds me of an news article that i saw when i visited Finland. Article was about a prisoner who made 2300 euros a month by participating in prisons own work programs... problem is that he made more money then the guards :D Scandinavian prison system really seems odd but at least the prisoners will end up as productive members of society (most of the time) when they have served their time so I guess they are doing something right.

Fjolle

830920 said:
According to the article the furniture is actually made by other prisoners.
Who makes it doesn't really change anything about the claims of designer furniture though.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Welp, I know where I'm going if KTH refuse my applications! :D

Zaptruder

Banned
It seems strange if you believe people are absolute masters of their own destiny unaffected by their environments and surroundings, and that when they commit wrong it is because they're innately evil and must be severely punished for it.

From an economic stand point, where rehabilitation is cheaper and more productive than expensive penal environments (even if the expenses aren't been placed into prisoner comfort) that unintentionally but aggressively promote recidivism... then it kinda makes sense.

The loss of freedom is disincentive enough for most to not commit crimes, irrespective of the decent standard of comfort within a swedish jail.

It might be cheaper than a hotel... but when you can't leave it for the next 5 years under any circumstances, then you might not quite feel quite so chuffed about the free stay.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
ZombieFred said:
I got to feel sorry how the homeles are treat in compared to the luxery prisoners are getting today. It's insane.

Where do you draw the line? Homeless people are out in the streets making the place look like a mess, asking people for spare cash ect, pretty much ruining everyones day who see's them out of pitty, prisoners are locked up out of site.

Americans see gaol as the thing you go to for punishment and deterrence, the Swedish see it as that thing you send people to for rehabilitation into model citizens. Honestly though, I don't think Americans can really argue that their prison system is very effective.

What is a "Jail"?

What is the crime rate like in Sweden? Considering their social programs, one can't imagine much crime related to economics, though what do I know?

I think the primary thing about prison is the removal of one's freedom. A gilt cage is still a cage.

Rapstah

Is the "flat screen in every cell" thing really true? The first picture looks like a communal TV room shared by several inmmates.

nubbe

Rapstah said:
Is the "flat screen in every cell" thing really true? The first picture looks like a communal TV room shared by several inmmates.
and computer with 100mb internet

could play CoD all day rest of the life

Rapstah said:
The one with the Pixel Guard looked more like one of the cells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom