• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League Season 2 - Vorsicht statt nachsicht

Dibbz

Been doing some practice today on Suzuka with the ARTA NSX and just barely got into 1.56. With the Nizmo Z I was about .5 quicker but I put that down to there being about 30 BHP difference between the cars. ARTA hasn't been broken into yet so hopefully when it's BHP catches up I should be getting better times than the Z.

I'm fairly confident about setting consistently good times for the whole race but Suzuka is really tricky. Road feels so narrow you make one mistake and you're going the backwards on the track.

brentech

Question for the SGC: How significant is the "can't run more than 2 races in a row" clause?

Slightly makes me worried since I can't simply say I'm open every single Saturday. It might just work out that myself, or anyone else for that matter, might be away for consecutive weekends that give us no option to compete.

Is it going to cost our team in some way? As long as people are doing the races, I don't really understand why it matters anyways, but if it does hold, I would like some clarification as to what the repercussions are.

As of now, I don't know of any reason that would force this to be a problem for me, but that's not to say that nothing will come up, and that's why I worry.

Dibbz

I'm just guessing but I think it's so that we don't have people who join but don't race until half way through the season by which point they're probably not interested anymore. Happened to at least one team last year I think.

Angst

brentech said:
Question for the SGC: How significant is the "can't run more than 2 races in a row" clause?

Slightly makes me worried since I can't simply say I'm open every single Saturday. It might just work out that myself, or anyone else for that matter, might be away for consecutive weekends that give us no option to compete.

Is it going to cost our team in some way? As long as people are doing the races, I don't really understand why it matters anyways, but if it does hold, I would like some clarification as to what the repercussions are.

As of now, I don't know of any reason that would force this to be a problem for me, but that's not to say that nothing will come up, and that's why I worry.
Just let us know when and why a driver in your team has to do more than two consecutive races and we will give you a ruling then. As Dibbz said, main reason is so that someone (seattle in last season for example) won't do the first four races and then let the other driver do the remaining races.

Angst

As there was some confusion last season regarding how to behave on the track, we've written a guide for how we expect you to behave. Mush will post the full rules and regulations later, but this serves as a very important guide: (credit to Dibbz, Polyphony and ashk in the NRL thread for a few of the points below)
SGC said:
Super GT Racing Behaviour / Etiquette

1. Race isn’t qualification

You are not meant to do qualification time laps every lap of the race. A race is more about consistency and racing within yourself. You should not be going out balls to the walls unless you have a fair amount of space in front of you.

2. Always Be Aware Of The Cars Around You

Driving alone and driving with people around is always a different experience. To be more aware of your surroundings, you should set the map to "Fixed to car" with a scale of 2-3. This way, you can actually see where the cars are positioned around you on the track without having to move the view left and right. If you don’t want to use the map you have to use your mirrors and look left/right/behind you.

3. Don’t switch lanes when driving parallel to someone

If you are following point 3 this shouldn’t be an issue. When there’s a car by your side and that car is where the racing line normally is, you are not allowed to just veer into his driving line. Best case there will just be a small bump. Worst case he will get one or two wheels in the grass, spin out and get massive damage.

4. Braking into corners whilst behind

You should have a braking point for every corner. If you are behind someone you should let go of the gas about 50 meters before your usual braking point. This gives you enough time to get ready to see what the guy in front is going to do in the turn, without losing you time.

If you have a car ahead of you, your braking point is going to vary depending on the distance to that car.

5. Wait for the right opportunity to overtake

Not every part of the track is suitable for overtaking. In fact, on most tracks there are only a few safe places to overtake. If you find yourself behind a slower car you have to wait for the right, safe, place to overtake. S-curves for example are not suited for overtaking as the cars will need to use the whole track to be able to drive through them.

6. Off track?

If you go off track it’s very important to not just jump back onto the track. Your car will be going slower than the other cars and you will have dirt in the tyres which could result in unpredictable behaviour. You need to wait for the right opportunity before jumping back in again. Same rule applies when you overshoot a corner.

7. Cold tyres have worse grip

On the first lap you will have cold tyres, this means it will take longer to brake and corners can’t be taken as fast as when your tyres are warm.

8. First corner madness

Remember to take it EASY on the first corner.

9. Backmarkers

If you are in the process of being lapped by a faster driver, don’t do anything unpredictable. You’re expected to give way, but not to take any risks. Wait until there’s a good place for passing and then move off from the racing line.

10. Lappers

Don’t expect the slower drivers to just move out of your way. Use the same caution as you would when passing other cars. Flash your lights if you want the other car to let go of the gas and pass them safely when they move off from the racing line.

11. Damaged Cars

If you suffer from heavy damage you will be expected to move off the racing line and let the other cars pass you. Your car will be hard to control and to avoid more damaged cars you should move off the racing line and let the other cars past. If you have minor damage but your car is still controllable you can continue racing as normal.

12. Exit from the pits

When exiting the pits make sure you’re aware of the traffic on the track. Stay inside the white line on the track and build up your speed. Don’t dive in ahead of cars going 100 km/h faster than you!

13. Qualification isn't race

During the qualification a car on the warm-up lap HAVE to give way to cars on their hot lap. If you see someone coming up behind you and you are unsure if they are on their hot lap or not - give way, just in case. When you are starting your hot lap, make sure you have some distance to the car in front of you. When you have set a time you're satisfied with you can keep driving, but please make sure you're not hindering the other racers. DON'T DO STUPID THINGS WHEN ON THE TRACK! No donuts, no driving backwards etc.

14. Chatt is off-limits during the race

Title says it all.

15. Parade laps
Parade laps are so that we can avoid incidents on the first lap. If you're going banzai on the parade lap and wrecking other people it doesn't really work. Keep you speed at 50 mph / 80 km/h. If you want to warm up your tyres you can't accelerate then suddenly lock your brakes. You can do some SMALL turns left to right, but if you slalom from one edge of the track the distance to the car in front of you will increase and you run the risk of touching the grass and spinning out. That will result in a drawn out field and the guys behind you will be pissed off.

If there's an accident on the parade lap and you want a restart, stop your car and type 'restart'. Don't do this unless things are really bad and if you cause your own damage and nobody else is affected you will just have to deal with it. (We might change this as it might lead to races never starting)

Please read the above carefully. Failure to adhere to the proper racing etiquette can be penalized. >.<

SGC said:
Registered teams:

1. The Deers (ashk + MikeDub) - Nissan Xanavi '08
1. Calsonic Boom (risk breaker + brentech) - Nissan Calsonic '08
3. My Fairlady (Angst + gutterboy44) - Nissan Xanavi Z '06
4. Buiu Racing Grand Prix (BRGP) (seattle6418 + chimilosky) - Nissan Motul Autech '08
5. Foxtrot Racing (Niks + UFRA) - Toyota Woodone '03
6. A Drinks Company (Mush + Dibbz) - Honda NSX Raybrig SuperGT '06
7. UnDeadSeks (TheSeks + Dead Man) - Honda NSX Epson Super GT ´08
8. Capsule Corp Racing (Toxa + l2ound) - Toyota Castrol Supra ´97
9. Digital Wind (Polyphony + kaze13) - Nissan GT-R Yellow Hat YMS Tomica Super GT ´08

MetalMurphy + JuicyBob (have said they will be a team, but hasn't registered)
Konosuke + Permadeath (same story as MM and JB)

To register, please fill out the form

brentech

Need to add some rules about the parade lap. People 'warming' their tires during the lap caused a wreck and a restart on Monza. The second time around, same deal, and it destroyed my car. I completed the event, but never got to 'race' because of it. Basically did 20+/- laps by myself since I had to pit before the race actually began.

PRO TIP - Warming up your tires does nothing in GT5. All it does is wear them down. Your tires get up to temperature after one turn, maybe two.

Please do not swerve like a dumbass in the parade lap.

GT5 models tire degradation primarily through lateral skid. "Waggling" your car induces wear with very little heat. This is also why hard tires barely last longer than soft tires. Because softs have more grip, you slide laterally less and actually save tire wear, whereas hards cause more cornering slide and wear out faster making them worse than soft tires in every regard.

GT tire wear model = awful The front left tire wears faster on ovals in GT5...le sigh.

brentech

Yeah, that's largely why I quoted 'warming'. I personally don't think it has much of an effect, other than the chance to wear them a slight bit before the race starts.

Angst

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've added a point about parade laps. The rest of the guidelines seem ok?

@brentech: Same thing happened to me at Tokyo R246. Luckily for me everybody else got damage several times during the race so I managed to end up on the podium anyway.

I do think it's possible to warm up the tyres, but to do so you'll have to do some pretty crazy maneuvering... like turning off ABS and locking the tyres or going through corners using the hand brake. lol

ashk

You should add a suggestion to stay in 2nd gear for the parade lap and use that as a speed limit. IMO the leader should be the only one that has to stay in 2nd gear so he has a definitive speed limit. The others should use their judgment, with staying in 2nd gear being the preferred way to reduce the risk of accidents.

Regarding the swerving, I've never had a problem with it, maybe because I always maintained a respectable distance to the car in front. But I agree that it would be better to outright ban it (or at least say that it is very unadvisable) to reduce the chance of an accident.

Just in case people missed it

Swerving to warm up your tires does nothing. It can only cause problems

I say we ban it. Keep it simple. There is no reason to do it.

Angst

ashk said:
You should add a suggestion to stay in 2nd gear for the parade lap and use that as a speed limit. IMO the leader should be the only one that has to stay in 2nd gear so he has a definitive speed limit. The others should use their judgment, with staying in 2nd gear being the preferred way to reduce the risk of accidents.

Regarding the swerving, I've never had a problem with it, maybe because I always maintained a respectable distance to the car in front. But I agree that it would be better to outright ban it (or at least say that it is very unadvisable) to reduce the chance of an accident.
We did this in the latter part of last season. To me it seemed that people were a bit liberal in their interpretation of this rule as when I stayed in second gear they widened the gap, forcing me to shift up and shorten the gap again. Not all gearboxes are the same so that's why I said 50 mph / 80 kph instead. But that's the speed you go when your in second (roughly).

Dibbz

Not only should the leader keep his speed checked but everyone should make an effort to stay no more than 2 car lengths and no less than one car length from the car in front.

Nothing worse than being behind someone who is miles behind the guy in front of them giving you and everyone behind a disadvantage.

brentech

Angst said:
We did this in the latter part of last season. To me it seemed that people were a bit liberal in their interpretation of this rule as when I stayed in second gear they widened the gap, forcing me to shift up and shorten the gap again. Not all gearboxes are the same so that's why I said 50 mph / 80 kph instead. But that's the speed you go when your in second (roughly).
Yep - Monza was the first track I was there for that it was being used, and on the back stretch after the S, it went from a moderate gap to this gaping field in front of me.

I sped up to close the distance, but that's where someone swerving wrecked. So the 3-4 cars behind them all brake later and later until it comes to me and I just couldn't quite stop in time. It happened really fast, and I didn't even know there was a wreck ahead -- I just thought people stopped for some reason.

Someone actually asked if anyone had damage, and I responded yes, but the race just started. So I took my beater into the pit and drove red-faced angry the rest of the race. Might have been able to boil water on my forehead...

Angst

When I got my car smashed to pieces on the parade lap the ten cars in front of me had no idea I had any trouble. I suspect the same thing happened at Monza for you. If I remember correctly we had already done one restart and I think people were getting annoyed. If you had said "Restart, somebody fucked up my car!" instead of "yes" we would probably all have restarted.

The problem is that we can't stop to chat as that might cause even more troubles.

I have one idea though: instead of people driving slowly during the parade lap, why don't we all press start and let the AI drive for us? It's something we could try at least.

Angst

It needs to be tested as sometimes the AI does weird things. UFRA engaged the AI has he was exiting the pits on Laguna and instead of following the exit pit line (that you can't deviate from) the AI just went straight ahead into the sand pit. :p

How low is the AI auto-control speed? 60 km/h?

Konosuke

I think that's a great idea. One problem tho, we can't allow the AI to reach the finish line as it will drive us into the pits. The speed is around 50~60 km/h.

My team registration will be made soon hopefully.

I still don´t know why we´re doing it. I have faith that people learned a lot from season one, and in all the tests we have ran, standing starts weren´t an issue.

If that not acceptable, then why not a middle ground solution, with the rolling starts?

Or is this issue something the moderators have already set in stone.

I just think that with this format the guys that starts in 14th place will be so far behind that if anything, he will be encouraged to drive recklessly to try to catch up.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Also, is it defined that we will start the season in Suzuka? We tested so much there, it would make sense if it were a track we would see later on... perhaps... fuji, since Madrid was hated by everybody and voted to be out?

Another 2 cents for the commitee to consider.

Dibbz

Are you guys going to update the rules and regulations section in the OP? Don't think it's been mentioned what damage setting we are using this season.

Seattle I really think that rolling starts are the best way to go about things. From last season it was clear that the league was split. We had fast drivers and cars, the midfield drivers and cars and the inexperienced drivers. Not everyone was on the same pace meaning with grid starts, not only is the first corner dangerous but the entire first lap is dangerous because all groups of drivers were mixing it up.

With rolling starts it keeps the pack separated enough to save us from people going should to shoulder in corners around the first lap but close enough to allow cars to overtake each other. This way it means overtaking on the first lap is more about the driver and his ability than what kind of start you get off the grid.

Is Suzuka going to have weather? Has that been decided yet?

Mush

Re: Weather, I personally think it should be only reserved for the Enduro rounds.

Another thing we need to consider is how much space the grid gives each other once they roll off the line. ATM it's just whoever moves first that makes the grid cluttered and causes all kind of hassles. We need to enforce it so you have to wait a second or two before you actually move off the grid for the parade lap. That should give everyone some breathing room.

Rules and Regs should be posted soon, all going to plan.

Cool, i just think the whole group got a lot better and maybe we could tackle the single file rolling start that the game offers instead of the parade lap option.

As for the rules and such, good, we´re behind what the admins decide.

I still have a question: my friend EFJ1 registred here because he also wanted to take part on the league, but like we discussed before, his account isn´t aproved, and since he doesn´t have a teammate like MetalMurphy and Chimilosky do, he can´t sign into the league.

Can i help him somehow? He speaks good english, so communication with his partner to be woný be an issue. Speedwise, he´s about on par with Chimilosky, depending on the car a bit better or a bit worse, so he would be a good pickup for someone looking for a teammate.

I´ll wait for a mod word to see if we can work this out.

Ps: please consider the schedule re-arrangments we talked about (Moving Suzuka, dropping Madrid, the things we discussed on that test day).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
gutterboy44 said:
PRO TIP - Warming up your tires does nothing in GT5. All it does is wear them down. Your tires get up to temperature after one turn, maybe two.

Please do not swerve like a dumbass in the parade lap.

That's not to mention you slow down during the parade lap doing that compared to just driving normally.

Me hitting the rev limiter at 2nd gear/50MPH > you swerving in 2nd going 45. Toxa or whoever did this last season and people were like "WTF YOU WERE TOO CLOSE," well no shit. I was driving normally while they were slowing down.

Angst

seattle6418 said:
Cool, i just think the whole group got a lot better and maybe we could tackle the single file rolling start that the game offers instead of the parade lap option.
The trouble is that people tend to get their adrenaline up as the race starts. Some tracks are worse than other in this regard as well, for example Suzuka where you'll have to brake a lot earlier on the first lap due to the pile-up.

seattle6418 said:
I still have a question: my friend EFJ1 registred here because he also wanted to take part on the league, but like we discussed before, his account isn´t aproved, and since he doesn´t have a teammate like MetalMurphy and Chimilosky do, he can´t sign into the league.

Can i help him somehow? He speaks good english, so communication with his partner to be woný be an issue. Speedwise, he´s about on par with Chimilosky, depending on the car a bit better or a bit worse, so he would be a good pickup for someone looking for a teammate.
I'm not sure, we can definitely use more drivers, but the inability to communicate is a bit of a problem. Let us talk this over a bit and get back to you.

seattle6418 said:
Ps: please consider the schedule re-arrangments we talked about (Moving Suzuka, dropping Madrid, the things we discussed on that test day).
Moving Suzuka? You don't want the first race at Suzuka? I'm confused... And we have pretty much decided to drop Madrid in favour of Fuji.

Toxa

TheSeks said:
Toxa or whoever did this last season and people were like "WTF YOU WERE TOO CLOSE," well no shit. I was driving normally while they were slowing down.

???

keep suzuka :eek:

Toxa said:
???

keep suzuka :eek:
Yeah keep Suzuka, people have bee practicing it. If we are going with rolling starts can we make so there is no overtaking until AFTER the 1st corner? Hopefully people won't bunch up that way and slipstream won't come into play on the first lap.

edit: I would also like a return to standing starts, I have faith in our ability.

Angst

I think Seattle was mistakenly thinking we wouldn't open the season at Suzuka. Don't know what gave him that idea as it has been on the schedule as the opener all along.

Mush

Angst said:
I think Seattle was mistakenly thinking we wouldn't open the season at Suzuka. Don't know what gave him that idea as it has been on the schedule as the opener all along.
It's the traditional opener for Super GT (apart from this year, don't know why), why should it different for us? ;)

ashk

Rolling starts should definitely remain. In the last NRL race I've had 3 people on my inside trying to make the first corner.

Angst

We are currently debating when the race should start.

First option is to have the races in the same time slot as last season:

Lounge "opens" at 20.00 GMT / 21.00 UK / 22.00 CET / 08.00 NZ / 16.00 EST / 13.00 PST.

Qualifications starts +15 minutes and the race starts +45 minutes.

Is this ok with everyone or should we manipulate the time zones in some way? :p

Disclaimer - I might have messed up the times above, only thing I'm 100 % sure of is 20.00 GMT / 21.00 UK / 22.00 CET...

And by lounge "opens" above we simply mean that you could join whenever you want prior to that time.

Edit - and we have decided to remove Madrid in favour of Fuji GT. If PD releases new tracks we will consider adding them, but that's another story.

Dibbz

Times are fine for me. If someone wants to move them one hour ahead or before that's also fine with me.

brentech

All sounds good to me. Especially the move to Fuji, which I used to hate, until practicing there and learning it better.

Juicy Bob

I'm happy with 23:00 GMT as is stated in the calendar in the OP. Now that daylight savings has switched, it would mean that races start at 8:30 AM here instead of 7:30 AM as they did for Season 1. Might not sound like much of a difference but believe me, I'm much happier with that.

If the races will be taking place at 20:00 GMT, I'm afraid I just won't be able to take part. 5:30 AM is just too early for me on my one morning off a week.

Angst

Juicy Bob said:
I'm happy with 23:00 GMT as is stated in the calendar in the OP. Now that daylight savings has switched, it would mean that races start at 8:30 AM here instead of 7:30 AM as they did for Season 1. Might not sound like much difference but believe me, I'm much happier with that.

If the races will be taking place at 20:00 GMT, I'm afraid I just won't be able to take part. 5:30 AM is just too early for me on my one morning off a week.
Please keep in mind that 23.00 GMT as stated in the OP is without any DST. Starting at that time would mean a start time at 1.00 AM for the euros...

If I remember right you're in Australia JB? If you're in Sydney 20.00 GMT + 45 minutes equals 6.45 AM for you. Pretty early, I understand that. Damn those time zones! :p

Angst

ovWt3JjLzeL-3_KV7IU5Q7zUZ0RJgoCrReENtLZF-Gh06AeJ0FeYLXpxQFuuwwjzcaQF8rhuh61o2wRmM9K5W1xsQxu1RJ42xUvRCo39WaqYiSINqY-kgIiI1JJHxklM

Rules and Regulations

Important Note: If in the event that any future update to Gran Turismo 5 changes the settings that available, we will review and see if the update warrants a rule change. The Super GT Committee reserves the right to change any rule(s) without prior notice.

Full Car List

Bold/Highlighted denotes Premium Model

Honda
l5x6TlfMkNTsNmlWw1qYDOZUAZ1dU19gnu-6aDa8ufHZYW7r0Q9JUB6vleWxlM9Y6eG6MFCBUemGaEOhGc0ntdlVOwroegk1aVWD7Y2ADglaxROQAszKQ6651UHRSQsp

Lexus
ADrMJ7oecOqKlDLTgjjdu7Uilvrh1RH2u75trb_3ZFZEQhj2M93t0B3J7XSHLB02P5h_xCyM_BXuCy1ThGXW5m0uvNo8dEshn0kmCdOyJT3ep_LjquNs_uF1XmNhVKzc

Nissan
h1_fE162V47kAxuSN-Fh-8k0bWj34Azd4cugGU8tLVs601ABouXwfm6KcfitGQ_irjxifL92nvzc-bJ5zokav5K9o7JYBzTnLgX8H9CQSTa0Qw1y1cbMhapfi9BcvbUg

Toyota
aoA_U8xD5jE_3rIQayPb4dyKFPr-Ee-J9GXUPyzOtG4eMk_znlSv7GENLzO-4zkLr6aOg1kD4zJR4oO1SGKZqE8r79B0l11UVqJPLR-0QE5kIF38lZguBUZ7k-nfvrGs

Tuning and Performance

For Season 2 of the Super GT League, after much testing and deliberation, we have decided to even the playing field by setting all cars used in races at the same Weight and Power.

This figure will be 502BHP/1100KG

In the case of your selected car being over the BHP level figure we have set out, you must use the Power Limiter under Engine in the Car Settings Menu, to adjust the Power so it falls under the 502BHP limit. For weight, as of the 1.08 patch, there is no way to remove excess weight from the car in the Car Settings Menu, so those wishing to use a car that has more than 1100KG will have to be prepared to race with this excess weight.

The lobby will be set so these Power and Weight settings are taken into account when you select your car and enter the track, so we know everyone is on the same level.

Lexus Models are eligible for a Stage 2 Turbo upgrade available from the Tuning Shop in GTlife. This upgrade is for the following models only:

SFUDHg_VcCm-5-ktpXyx4PN3-DcHATVXVOB0vcUYZp1fIWHuf7REQxajLWc1M-GYpSI3ZCAso1iWfyEGzp4OxSchBXJ8lJ7KLhkoL6uG6BgIScWQRuOY-iv4uJ-etrBI

For all cars, the Rigidity Improvement upgrade is available to all cars to install on their intended vehicle. This upgrade is available from the Tuning Shop in GT Life and can not be removed once installed.

All teams are also allowed to maintain their car at GTauto which includes any of the following: Oil Changes, Overhaul Engine and Restore Body Rigidity.

Apart from the settings listed above, no car is to preform any modifications to the car they intend to compete with.

Driver Aids and Lobby Settings

For all Practices and Races during the Season, Driver Aids will be set at the following levels:

Tyre Restrictions: Unrestricted
No Skid Recovery Force
Driving Line Off
No Active Steering
No ASM/Active Steering Management

However for Season 2, we will be allowing all drivers to set the level of TCS/Traction Control at any level from 0 to 5. This is completely optional and up to the individual to use.

Going on Patch v1.08, the lobby used for Practice and Race sessions will follow these settings:

Game Mode: Free Run & Race
Laps: N/A (The exact amount will be announced in advance)
Start Type: Grid Start (We will be using a parade lap/rolling start format)
Grid Order: Fastest First
Boost: No
Penalty: None
Grip Reduction on Wet Track/Track Edge: Real
Mechanical Damage: Heavy

Time Change and Weather will be set to off except for both Endurance rounds, where it will be set to Dynamic for both Time and Weather.

Driver Etiquette and Behaviour

Although we trust that everyone competing in the League is familiar with common Motorsport etiquette, here are a few helpful guidelines for those who are new to racing:

1. The race and qualifying are two different things

You are not meant to do qualification time laps every lap of the race. A race is more about consistency and racing within yourself. You should not be going out balls to the walls unless you have a fair amount of space in front of you. Especially on the opening few corners/laps. Don’t let the adrenaline get the better of you and ruin you race or someone elses.

2. Always be aware of the cars around you

Driving alone and driving with people around is always a different experience. To be more aware of your surroundings, you should set the map to "Fixed to car" with a scale of 2-3. This way, you can actually see where the cars are positioned around you on the track without having to move the view left and right. If you don’t want to use the map you have to use your mirrors and look left/right/behind you.

3. Don’t make erratic changes to your track position

If you are following point 3 this shouldn’t be an issue. When there’s a car by your side and that car is where the racing line normally is, you are not allowed to just veer into his driving line. If a car has slipstreamed you and has pulled out from behind you (if you are looking at you track map/mirrors you will know) do not attempt to veer into their path. Because of the way GT5 works, cars who are behind will always have a massive advantage when slipstreaming. This is something that is out of our control and can’t be policed. Best case scenario is that in a 1 vs. 1 situation, the driver attempting to make a move will make it pass with any contact and you will be free to try and take that position back when it is safe to do so.

4. Following other cars/slower cars

When you are following another car, be it a driver you’re battling for position with, or a slower car you’re attempting to lap, always be weary of when they will brake for corners. If you are behind a car, you should be prepared to brake around 50 meters before where you would normally slow down for that turn. If you are following multiple cars, you should be slowing down even earlier. You shouldn’t be waiting for their red brake lights to come on. If you following a slower/damaged car, always be ready to slow down at anytime. Use the meter boards displayed on circuits to pick a safe point to start braking; that’s what they’re there for after all.

5. Pick your overtaking opportunities well

Not all corners are created equally. Some are better for overtaking opportunities than others. On most tracks there are usually only a few “designated” spots for any passing maneuvers. When lapping someone or passing a slower car, try to stick to these familiar spots so that the driver that is lapped knows when to expect a move on them, or wait until the slower cars lets you pass on a safer part of the circuit. When racing purely for places, things are different. Again, try to stick to places that are deemed safe to pass, like the end of a long straight, or a slower hairpin bend. However, we’re not going to stop anyone trying to overtake on somewhere that is normally suited for passing. Bottom line is though, attempt nothing too reckless that will endanger any other cars on the track. If it’s a risk for you, then it’s going to be a hazard to someone else. No one likes post-race rage in the lobby or on GAF.

6. Going off-track and entering again.

It happens to the best of us. Sometimes we overdo things a little and end up paying for it by running wide or worse, getting sucked deep into a gravel/sand trap. Even if it’s a small skirmish off-road, make sure when you get back on track that you don’t enter in the path of a fellow racer. There are several reasons for this. Obviously, you’re going to be in the way of someone who is going faster than you and will have little time to react to your re-entry (this also applies to when you’re re joining the track from the pitlane). Your tyres will also have less grip after a trip off the tarmac, so don’t floor it straight away, you’ll more than likely find yourself spinning out again. If you have to, come to a complete stop on the outside of the track and wait until it’s safe to rejoin. It’s better to lose sometime waiting for a clear opportunity to get back on track rather than slumming it all the way back to pitlane with a damaged car.

7. Cold tyres means less grip

As well as dirty tyres from off-road skirmishes, tyres also have less grip when they are brand new, i.e: at the start of a race and when you’ve just pitted for a fresh set of rubber. Less grip means less control, and less control means, well, less control over your car. Contrary to popular belief, swerving left and right on the formation lap does not warm up your tyres. Sadfaces all round, indeed.

8. Backmarkers/slower/damaged cars

As mentioned before, always be on your toes around slower cars. If you are attempting to lap or overtake them, the game remains the same: be prepared to slow down at anytime. If the shoe is on the other foot however, and you find yourself in position to be lapped by a faster car, your job is to make their life (and yours) as easy as possible. If you see in advance a faster car coming behind you, get off the preferred racing line and make room for them. If it is not safe to leave the racing line, wait until it is safe to do so. If your car is damaged, you should avoid the racing line all together if possible. Letting a faster car through doesn’t mean you panic and leave the track at the first sight of another driver; you have just as much as a race to run as they do.

Incidents and Penalties

If there is a incident that you, or a number of drivers are unhappy with, you may request that it be investigated by the Super GT Committee (SGC). If we find that the incident requires a penalty, we will deduct a certain amount of points from their standings. A minor incident carries a 25 point penalty, while if deemed a major incident, 50 points will be deducted. The SGC uses a majority voting system (2 out of 3) to ensure that all voting is fair.

Juicy Bob

Angst said:
Please keep in mind that 23.00 GMT as stated in the OP is without any DST. Starting at that time would mean a start time at 1.00 AM for the euros...

If I remember right you're in Australia JB? If you're in Sydney 20.00 GMT + 45 minutes equals 6.45 AM for you. Pretty early, I understand that. Damn those time zones! :p

I'm working it out using this, which leads me to believe the rooms will open here in South Australia at 8:30 AM. But if that's wrong, then I have no idea how to work it all out.

Angst

Juicy Bob said:
I'm working it out using this, which leads me to believe the rooms will open here in South Australia at 8:30 AM. But if that's wrong, then I have no idea how to work it all out.
Yeah, that's totally right. You wouldn't consider moving to NZ / Europe? :p

Angst

Juicy Bob said:
Sorry! Not when I've only recently moved here FROM Europe! :p

No, that would be a bit insane :) "Why are you quitting you job and moving to another continent?" - "well, you see there's this Gran Turismo league I want to race in..."

Broseybrose

Anyone want to partner up with this noob?

I should qualify 'noob'. Ive been playing racing games my whole life, im level 31 in A-Spec, and i race in the GT5NRL. But i am a noob when it comes to online league racing, practicing all the time.

But, i still would like to give this league a try. Ill leave it my partner to select our car.

Mush said:
It's the traditional opener for Super GT (apart from this year, don't know why), why should it different for us? ;)

That´s what i meant. I love Suzuka, i don´t want dropped, i just thought that it could be a race held in a later round, like it will happen in real life.

The proposal was to race Fuji GT in round one, and Suzuka in place of Madrid.

In the end, we would run Suzuka, but later on the season. Reason for that is because we spent a lot of time testing there, and if we do this, it would be a bunch of Suzuka early on the season and nothing more on the other 3 months.

The fact that Suzuka got moved back in real life is the icing on the cake.

It´s just an idea, just to see what the mods would say about it. It´s a very technichal course and it might give a bad impression of "it´s too hard" for some new faces, that´s why i suggested a more forgiving track at the beggining.

Fire away folks, let´s see what you guys have in mind.

------

About EFJ1, there´s someone on Gaf that wants to form a team with him... i think it improves the communication part a lot. I´ll talk to him and then post some more here.

Dibbz

I was playing some super GT today in A-Spec. Suzuka weather version but it never bloody rains. When I do race the AI in the rain they are super slow. There is no challenge. I really want to race some of these races in the rain with you guys. :(

Angst

Dibbz said:
I was playing some super GT today in A-Spec. Suzuka weather version but it never bloody rains. When I do race the AI in the rain they are super slow. There is no challenge. I really want to race some of these races in the rain with you guys. :(
I did 25 laps on Suzuka with dynamic weather on and it started to rain on the first lap. Track was pretty good for 3-4 laps and then it got very slippery. But it was really cool.

I would actually want to do the first race at Suzuka with dynamic weather and set to rain! But preferably with light damage.

Let's have a vote!

Yay or nay to rain

Yay or nay to rain + light damage

Edit - or maybe do it like seattle suggests - start with Fuji and then Suzuka with rain later in the season?

ashk

Racing in the rain is boring and adds unnecessary complications like practicing tyre changes. IMO all the races should be dry.

Toxa

ashk said:
Racing in the rain is boring and adds unnecessary complications like practicing tyre changes. IMO all the races should be dry.

boring ... ? when I read that kind of post I'm really disappointed

Toxa

Angst said:
I did 25 laps on Suzuka with dynamic weather on and it started to rain on the first lap. Track was pretty good for 3-4 laps and then it got very slippery. But it was really cool.

I would actually want to do the first race at Suzuka with dynamic weather and set to rain! But preferably with light damage.

Let's have a vote!

Yay or nay to rain

Yay or nay to rain + light damage

Edit - or maybe do it like seattle suggests - start with Fuji and then Suzuka with rain later in the season?

you have my vote, I want rain (with light damaged if you want) but nobody wants to drive in the rain ... :(

Top Bottom