Hey guys, I hope I can get your attention on this.
The french website 01.net has posted perhaps what is the most complete story so far on the successor of the Wii. Link to the story
They have a very reliable source that previously told them about the specs of the Sony NGP.
Here are the bullet points. Most of them have already been reported by other sites, but here goes :
- the console is codenamed "Project Café"
- will be introduced at E3 2011
- architecture is very similar to the Xbox 360; the Café is a bit more powerful than the 360
- porting current xbox 360 titles to the Café should be very easy
- should be retro-compatible with GameCube and Wii games, and support all Wii peripherals
- Specs : CPU is custom IBM PowerPC with three cores, GPU should be an ATI from the R700 family, with a shader unit at version 4.1. Ram should be at least 512 Mb.
- the controller is a touch tablet, with moderate graphic output (appears to be sub-HD, so nothing comparable to an Ipad, for example.)
- controller specs : 6-inch screen, single touch (so no multitouch, it seems), front camera, acts as a wii sensor bar, has a d-pad, two bumpers, two triggers, possibly more.
- should be released in June of 2012 (for Japan ?), and holiday season (in the West ?)
- there is another big surprise they can't talk about just yet
I can do a full translation if you guys want, tell me what you think.