• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4gamer Interviews Yasumi Matsuno

4Gamer put up a lengthy interview with Yasumi Matsuno, http://www.4gamer.net/games/116/G011621/20110426090/

I've been working on piecing together a history of him from various magazine interviews done in the past, However this interview appears to have lots of nice tidbits I haven't seen elsewhere

Random things I found of interest:

Reason For Changes between Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre:
- Japanese gamers weren't used to real time simulations, they realized this with Ogre Battle so changed to a turn based grid system.
- Original Ogre Battle "lacked reality", too many gods and demons, switched to dark fantasy with a middle europe/ roman empire base for a more realistic feeling.
- The ability to select your path(and lack of clear good or bad) was partially inspired by sound novels and game books at the time.
- His games were purposely designed to included antithesis elements of what was popular at the time(for sales reasons).

Fanboy!
- Was completely engrossed in LovePlus, had a save file for each girl, wants to make a girl game.
-Really enjoyed Demon's soul, thinks it is very western styled(in the same aspects thinks assassin's creed is a very Japanese style game)
-
Personal History:
- Grew up in the sticks, only entertainment were movies television books and imagination
-Was into making dioramas when he was young; Went and researched WW2 at the local library then use thoese elements to make WW2 Dioramas, he would incorporate story elements into each diorama.
His introduction to games was playing Space Invaders and Xevious in arcades while waiting for the train.
- Was really into Zelda and Dragon Quest on Famicom
- Played heavily on Amiga/pc's - Heavily influenced by western games. (Thinking in western games is more free, always chasing after new ideas)
- Played UO(still logs in once a year) and FF11 heavily , Enjoyed UO because of the ability to play single-player style in multi-player game.
-Lately has enjoyed RDR and frog minutes\
- Influenced by films, particularly star wars(the 1977-1980 period, when all these mysteries were still hidden and your imagination could run wild)

Hints as to what happened with ff12 (Quest: kind dictatorship/ square: democracy)
- Ogre battle, Tactics Ogre, vagrant were entirely designed, directed and written by him, isn't a fan of others putting input into his stories.
- With the shift to Square, there was a different democratic production style that he wasn't used to(for example: The large sci-fi type airship in FF12, was a designer's idea, not his at all)
-Games are easiest to make when given a target, most difficult game to make is when you are told make whatever you please but expected to make sales.
大きな会社であれば,何十,何百万本を売らないといけないとか,ちゃんとしたIPを立ち上げないといけないとか,いろいろなプレッシャーがあるとは思いますが。僕は最近,まず「自分が遊んで面白ければオッケーかな」と思いつつあるので。

- When Making a game with a big company, you've got all these pressures - a game has to sell hundreds of thousand of copies, you have to firmly set up intellectual property, etc. Lately Matsuno has come to think if he himself plays it and think it's interesting, that's an okay game to make.
- So if he makes a new game it will probably be on a small scale.

Tactics Ogre Sequel -
- Everybody's expectations of the game are different,so making a sequel that makes everyone happy is extremely difficult.
- If sequel was made would be an entirely new system

Skilletor

I wish we'd gotten the FF12 he wanted to make. It's already my favorite FF...I can't imagine what would have happened if Matsuno hadn't left.

dili

Urban Scholar said:
Interesting bit about that airship in FFXII.
I always felt it was kinda obvious that that was more of Square's doings in XII rather than his. Ivalice has never had airships, or any sci-fi elements, then suddenly in XII there's an airship and an advanced futuristic city which is very un-matsuno ish

Skilletor said:
I wish we'd gotten the FF12 he wanted to make. It's already my favorite FF...I can't imagine what would have happened if Matsuno hadn't left.
Likewise. I always wonder what could have been. Oh well, though.

- Was completely engrossed in LovePlus, had a save file for each girl, wants to make a girl game.

I can't wait for IceCream to make the OT for the next Matsuno game.

Bwahahaha! How many would manage to avoid fate via backstabbing and live to the end of the game, though?

Skilletor said:

Woulda been a fucking better and coherent game, that's for damn sure. It is very very easy to see the sutures from his work and whatever "popular with Japanese males ages 7-17" was Frankensteined in later on.

Oh FFXII...What could have been...The game shows glimmers of brilliance throughout but is marred by an unfinished story, obvious pandering, and a somewhat boring battle system that was fixed by the international version that WE'LL NEVER GET.
Yeah, I know about the patch, but that doesn't count.

dili said:
I always felt it was kinda obvious that that was more of Square's doings in XII rather than his. Ivalice has never had airships, or any sci-fi elements, then suddenly in XII there's an airship and an advanced futuristic city which is very un-matsuno ish

I still have theories that the party being mostly Hume for marketing purposes was a change as well.

The diorama thing was illuminating, you can tell his story-telling skill was honed early.

OriginalBasch.jpg

Original Protagonist: Never Forget.

Lain

Every time I read Matsuno and Vagrant Story, I wish I could have gotten the sequel I dream about to one of the best games ever.
His infatuation with LovePlus is interesting.

GhaleonQ

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
- When Making a game with a big company, you've got all these pressures - a game has to sell hundreds of thousand of copies, you have to firmly set up intellectual property, etc. Lately Matsuno has come to think if he himself plays it and think it's interesting, that's an okay game to make.
- So if he makes a new game it will probably be on a small scale.

Alexander O. Smith visited our alma mater recently (I made a topic) and told me that he's wrapping up his new game. The "small/mid-range game" thing intrigues me.

I knew about the Basch thing but the airship thing was new... hmm.

To be honest, the things that Matsuno makes don't really interest me, but I really would've liked to see how his version of FFXII would've been like.

Kyoufu

FFXII still turned out to be incredible, so I'm not exactly going to lose sleep over Matsuno's vision not being fully realised.

Saying that, I really want to play another JRPG by him. :(

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
FINALFANTASYDOG said:

Like a dating sim with girls, or a dating sim for girls?

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
4Gamer put up a lengthy interview with Yasumi Matsuno, http://www.4gamer.net/games/116/G011621/20110426090/

-Really enjoyed Demon's soul, thinks it is very western styled(in the same aspects thinks assassin's creed is a very Japanese style game)
-
I agree with Demon's Souls being western type. But AssCreed feeling very Japanese style never crossed my mind. Wonder if he thinks Splinter Cell is also japanese style?

GhaleonQ said:
Alexander O. Smith visited our alma mater recently (I made a topic) and told me that he's wrapping up his new game. The "small/mid-range game" thing intrigues me.

Wait. Alex O. Smith is wrapping up his (as in Smith's) next work? Or Matsuno's?

GhaleonQ said:

This is more interesting than finding out that you were Michael Cera.

Clott

I remember that it was rather dramatic when he couldn't continue making FFXII, didn't he have a stress induced breakdown? The pressure the huge projects induces must be insane, lots of sake and cigarets needed to calm those nerves.

dili said:

It did have airships in the final battle of Tactics, but they were clearly in the style of early FF games and FF 9(basically a boat that can fly).

Kyoufu

I wonder if Matsuno is responsible for Vaan and Penelo's existence.

I mean come on, lets face it... Why do they exist?

cosmicblizzard said:
A Matsuno dating sim, eh? I'd play it.

I can see it now. You'd have to choose between A wayward Viera fresh out from the forest, set out to find herself in the human world. A highborn Hume, in order to bone her you must convince her that class matters not. And a Bangaa.

Kyoufu said:

Pretty sure its been confirmed that at least Vaan was put in thanks to outside influence in order to appease the main, younger, FF audience.

ZeroRay

Pinko Marx said:
I can see it now. You'd have to choose between A wayward Viera fresh out from the forest, set out to find herself in the human world. A highborn Hume, in order to bone her you must convince her that class matters not. And a Bangaa.

With lots of political intrigue and backstabbing. Hell, I'd buy it.

Kyoufu

Pinko Marx said:

Pretty sure its been confirmed that at least Vaan was put in thanks to outside influence in order to appease the main, younger, FF audience.

I thought Vaan's appearance was changed to appease the younger audience?

Kyoufu said:
I thought Vaan's appearance was changed to appease the younger audience?

Don't think so. Basch was originally spose to be the protag, check out the pic posted above. The story was written to be much darker with Basch being younger than what he winded up in the final product.

Okay I'm wrong.

Kyoufu said:

According to the FF Wiki Vaan('s art) existed even when Basch was still the protagonist.

Nobody knows what he originally was, but I assume he would have either been just a side character or someone Basch looks after and mentors.

Just checked the FF wiki again, now they're saying that Vaan was originally conceived as a White Mage character. Nothing about whether or not he'd have been a partymember though.

Chemo

I hope in like a decade or so when Square finally comes around to XII for remaking purposes they Do the Right Thing and hire Matsuno to make the game he wanted to make instead.

Aeana

Most interesting to me is the actual Tactics Ogre design documents that are included with the article. I know Matsuno linked one of the pages on his Twitter a few weeks ago, but it's nice to see more of that now. Apparently, the game's original title was Lancelot ~ Somebody to Love. There's some other interesting info on there, but I haven't finished reading it yet.

Atolm

Ogre Battle saga chapter VIII please ;(((((((((

Man, the world he created for the Ogre Battle seroes has so much potential...

Top Bottom