• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Features in games that was never used again(or rarely) in sequels, but should of been

Undubbed

Basically, really good features that you see no good reason that the developer should of dropped in later games in the series, or even all their games period!

Like maybe, for example, the multi-directional whip in the Castlevania series, the scoring in the first megaman, parries from Street Fighter 3 and so on.

I swear I had a personal good example for myself, but I can't remember so I'm relying on you guys to get good examples of features that never should of left!

Tiktaalik

PJmB3.png

A bit more of an item than feature but still.

Manufacturer races in GT4 - didn't return in GT5, so about 25% content cut right there.

Dog tags in Metal Gear Solid 2 - half the replay value, gone.

Fun in Grand Theft Auto games post-San Andreas.

The ability to dual wield certain guns was taken out of both Halo: Reach and Crysis 2 for some inexplicable reason.

In Crysis 2, you also could no longer use an exterior view in vehicles and had to equip grenades to throw them.

Night vision usage was toned down dramatically in Splinter Cell: Conviction in favor of 24 style shit.

Exploring planets in Mass Effect 2 (while not necessarily a 'good' feature, it was better than planet probing). Could certainly have been improved instead of cut.

Desiato said:
Thread title annoys the shit out of me.

But yeah, the MGS4 codec was pointless.

But it returned in Peace Walker, and then some with the recording tapes that you could listen to between missions.

Raide

Quake being a mix of Lovecraftian Horror and Sci-fi worlds. Replaced by Strogg and endless mechanical bleh.

Hyunkel6

I didn't like how they streamlined the weapon system in Mass Effect 2. I was using the same one or two weapons for the whole game.

Anth0ny

Pietepiet said:
Partner Pokémon from Heart Gold/Soul Silver not being in Black/White.

How about going back to the old region in Gold/Silver not being in any other Pokemon game after that? I'm sure partner Pokemon will be back in Grey.

Pokemon is notorious for leaving features out that they included in the prior game. Gold/Silver -> ruby/sapphire was awful.

things in Halo 1 that should have been in 2.
- Good game design
- good level design
- good weapon design
- non disappearing/reappearing textures, models and level geomagnetic.
- fun
- QA

Orayn

Yian Kut-Ku counts as a feature. He really should have been in Monster Hunter Tri.
Bows, Gunlances, Dual Swords, and Hunting Horns are cool too, I guess.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the thread titles makes my eyes itch. Please fix it!

Nome

The "direct connect" feature in Starcraft that let you connect another player's IP directly for 1v1's. Tons of great times on 56k with that feature.

The ability to watch replays online in a full lobby in Starcraft was also great.

jay

The lack of being forced to wait for time to pass in Shenmue 2. How am I supposed to feel like I am there if I'm not bored?

Azriell

Even though it's standard operating procedure's for each Final Fantasy entry to reinvent the wheel when it comes to combat, I was disappointed that the Draw System from Final Fantasy VIII hasn't been used in anything since, and also the abandonment of the entire real time, MMO-lite combat system from Final Fantasy XII. Both titles were pretty polarizing with the fans, and both systems were flawed, but I loved the hell out of them both and with a little refinement could have been even better.

As much as I loved Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, the platforming from the first two games was greatly missed.

Buttons in the DS Zeldas.

HAVE HAVE HAVE HAVE HAVE HAVE

(also were)

In Portal the reticle showed you if a surface was portal-able. In 2 it shows you which portals you already have open. First was much more useful.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really miss SF4's championship mode in SSF4 (or MVC3, etc.). I thought it was a great design which complemented the online experience as opposed to trying to shoehorn an arcade or party-at-home system into online. The tournament mode in SSF4 is pure ass.

Reknoc

Hated that you couldn't pick locks in Fable 2 like you could in Fable 1.

Wanted to be a sneaky villain and quietly sneak into someones house in the middle of the night? Well you can't you have to KICK THEIR DOOR DOWN and wake everyone up.

NinjaJesus

The original Red Faction...

I wish they would have kept the ability to actually DIG and go anywhere you wanted.

Accelerating music near KO in Street Fighter 2.
Change of music in the last lap of some F-Zero GX's races.

Needs to be in every fighter/racer.

Really boosts the pacing.

Shig said:
Spider-man 2's is way better than Bionic Commando.

Yeah, no...

OH GOD THIS

I can't fucking play those games. I just can't.

What?
The biggest reason I adore the DS Zeldas is because of the control scheme, so good.
In fact I dread that another one in their style will never happen on the 3DS because 1st party games will always try to showoff the 3D capabilities ;_;

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Manufacturer races in GT4 - didn't return in GT5, so about 25% content cut right there.

Dog tags in Metal Gear Solid 2 - half the replay value, gone.

Fun in Grand Theft Auto games post-San Andreas.

The ability to dual wield certain guns was taken out of both Halo: Reach and Crysis 2 for some inexplicable reason.

In Crysis 2, you also could no longer use an exterior view in vehicles and had to equip grenades to throw them.

Night vision usage was toned down dramatically in Splinter Cell: Conviction in favor of 24 style shit.

Exploring planets in Mass Effect 2 (while not necessarily a 'good' feature, it was better than planet probing). Could certainly have been improved instead of cut.

But it returned in Peace Walker, and then some with the recording tapes that you could listen to between missions.
dual wielding was taken out because it didn't support Bungie's guns-grenades-melee design

-BLITZ-

* The Mafia features that aren't used in Mafia 2 like dropping or reloading the weapons by loosing all the unused bullets, dodging to the right or left by crouching, equipped only with couple of weapons and not with everything like a magical pocket (is single game that I like to play in such conditions), no baseball bat to smash up the cars, and no FREE RIDE & SPINER RIFLE+SCOUPE.

* Need For Speed Underground 2 features like Car Customization as sound system, noes, smoke with colors, and all those other gorgeous features that aren't used in any sequel anymore.

* San Andreas features that aren't used in GTA IV at all. IV was made more for testing the graphic and engine to see how your PC/consoles runs. After I finished the game, I just didn't know what do next. I'm preparing more for V.

* Half-Life features from the weapons section. How much I adore Half-Life 2 Series, it doesn't have those spectacular Crossbow, Tau Cannon, Gluon Gun, Laser Tripmine and the funniest of them all, the Satchel Charge & Snarks (good old memories in multiplayer). I really miss them, badly. Don't know even now, the reason of why they took them.

* Project IGI weapon slot feature where you could have every weapon in you're magical pocket compare with only two slots in Project IGI 2.

* Prince of Persia first three games compare with the last one, where you have only one sword and an entire army exactly when you need two swords for a wonderful combo fights.

In Tales of Eternia/Tales of Destiny II US, you could save anywhere, and if you reloaded a game, you'd load up at Load Points, which were basically checkpoints. This was really cool and I'm not sure why they didn't use it again, or maybe the Japan-only games used it.

There was another feature though, if you lost against a boss you could just retry again, but you'd have your money cut [dunno how much, but it was kinda alot] and wouldn't even be fully healed, making it kinda pointless.

aaaaaa

Held charges in Super SF2 Turbo (like Chun-Li's Super or E. Honda's Oichio throw) were never seen again.

Dynamic music in Monkey Island 2. I believe the "Tales of" episodes tried something like it, but it wasn't as good.

Top Bottom