• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN still down, internal testers online in various games though

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been playing a bunch of older games since the PSN is down. Fuck, I forgot how much I loved BladeStorm. After playing so many DW game I thought I just loved it because it was different but I restarted and I still love that game. I love the giant battles and the combat and all the different weapons and set-ups you can have. I wish we could get an online sequel to that. I mean, you couldn't play on PSN but it would be really neat to look at the box.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
GraveRobberX said:
I think I have eviscerated all the Premium channels VOD (HBO, Showtime Cinemax, Starz On Demand)

Watched at least 100+ movies

From Salt, Easy A, Megamind, Tangled etc.
I even revisited Oz (Man Rape more like it), I watched it as a teenager and now those Holy Shit! I forgot that happened moments are roaring back

Sunday is best day for my DVR
60 Minutes + America's Funniest Videos 7pm (Both) > Amazing Race 8pm + Fox Animation Domination 8pm-10pm > Treme 10pm > The Borgias 10pm > Game of Thrones 11pm
That covers a nice 5 hour chunk to keep me busy

Playing games here and there, missing MP a little, a couple of sessions here and there realky get your gaming mojo going

Well I'm waiting for the inevitable return of fanfic erotica, so I can light my beacon, cause this PSN down time thread is getting into Sonic Cycle stages

No new News > complaints > funny .gif > repost false or older than jesus playing Uno with Moses posts > 1 poster trolls > 10 posters come to Orc SMASH! troll > Wario has insightful/funny remark > TheSeks still drudging through GOW Collection (keep at it, I believe in yo<3) > GraveRobberX posts he's ready to suck dick for trophy synch > more banter > 1-2 bans > Mods start losing it > FanFic (Erotica) > Mods get their sanity back > lock thread threat > everone calms down/relaxes > No new News > Repeat cycle
I miss you buddy.

I miss my BFBC2 bros too. :(

Baconbitz

Banned
Am I missing news? I just saw a headline on twitter saying "Sony mentions full PSN system reboot could take until end of month". What?

Fersis said:
I miss my BFBC2 bros too. :(
300px-Motionsensor.png

:(

DailyVacation

Neo Member
test_account said:
I think he was more referring to "you can do other things while PSN is still down". If your friend dies, he/she is gone forever, PSN wont be down forever.

If your friend dies and he was a good person, you can probably see him in heaven, provided you're a good person too. He's not gone forever. Likewise, you can also enjoy PSN in heaven.

Used-ID

I wonder if after this Capcom will still think it is a good idea to use that 'No PSN, No play' DRM on games....

DailyVacation

Neo Member
PsychoRaven said:
Sadly man some people are so impatient and at the same time don't understand that people fuck up and are human and that's why they do it. While I believe they have every right to do it, I also have every right to say that they are being very very childish.

That's alright, this thread has been greatly therapeutic. It's almost comforting to hear people being so upset as to trade in their PS3s or poop/urinate on it, etc., as I'm reminded that I'm not in this state of anguish alone.

Amir0x

Banned
GraveRobberX said:
I think I have eviscerated all the Premium channels VOD (HBO, Showtime Cinemax, Starz On Demand)

I even revisited Oz (Man Rape more like it), I watched it as a teenager and now those Holy Shit! I forgot that happened moments are roaring back

60 Minutes + America's Funniest Videos 7pm (Both) > Amazing Race 8pm + Fox Animation Domination 8pm-10pm > Treme 10pm > The Borgias 10pm > Game of Thrones 11pm

Playing games here and there, missing MP a little, a couple of sessions here and there realky get your gaming mojo going

Well I'm waiting for the inevitable return of fanfic erotica, so I can light my beacon, cause this PSN down time thread is getting into Sonic Cycle stages

No new News > complaints > funny .gif > repost false or older than jesus playing Uno with Moses posts > 1 poster trolls > 10 posters come to Orc SMASH! troll > Wario has insightful/funny remark > TheSeks still drudging through GOW Collection (keep at it, I believe in yo<3) > GraveRobberX posts he's ready to suck dick for trophy synch > more banter > 1-2 bans > Mods start losing it > FanFic (Erotica) > Mods get their sanity back > lock thread threat > everone calms down/relaxes > No new News > Repeat cycle

Dang dude time to get a new game system :p

GraveRobberX said:

Do you watch 4 movies at a time?

Snipes424

The FBI will most likely not catch these fools, but I pray to all Gods that they do. I would also pay $1000 to see a video for the first day in prison for those neckbeard assholes.

Raoh

Used-ID said:
I wonder if after this Capcom will still think it is a good idea to use that 'No PSN, No play' DRM on games....

Lost opportunity on their part. Someone has to be wanting to see the updates on trophies, dates earned, games inserted, installed, etc whatever data is available for reporting, any and all of what users have been playing.

A nice audit on what games playstation gamers relied on during the downtime can help determine spending habits etc.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
kyo_daikun said:
You lost me here to be honest, what beacon are you refering to?

From the other 2 locked threads, chubigan did a nice excerpt of his delicious GOW fanfic

I posted a red light erotica beacon > was put into thread title > everyone came to see what was going on > one thing led to another (PonyGAF assembled lovers & haters) > EviLore memory wiped 5+ pages > EviLore still recovering from using the black arts + and seeing and reading the chaos

DailyVacation

Neo Member
get2sammyb said:
Unless you're like a heavy Call Of Duty/Battlefield/etc player, trading in the PS3 sounds ridiculous to me. I understand that you can play online on XBOX 360 right now, but you can't play inFamous 2 or Uncharted 3 on it can you? Think of all the money you'd lose that's invested into PSN content too.

Just sounds like a bizarre thing to do. At least to me. If it was down another month I'd maybe start to understand.

This and similar posts make a good point: buying a 360 won't replace your experience with the PS3, just as revenge killing will not bring a lost love from the dead.

Besides, the games that make PS3 great are those with enriching single player experiences, such as Uncharted, inFamous, Heavy Rain, and God of War. Even the Killzone 3 has a solid single player campaign.

Cels

I have Portal 2 and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood SP modes to play. After that who knows, I need to get through my SP backlog anyway. Not really a big deal for me. I'd just like to be able to play multi and link my Steam account to PSN but there are plenty of gaming alternatives for me.

Cels said:
I have Portal 2 and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood SP modes to play. After that who knows, I need to get through my SP backlog anyway. Not really a big deal for me. I'd just like to be able to play multi and link my Steam account to PSN but there are plenty of gaming alternatives for me.

Pretty much how I feel, too.

Raoh said:
Looks like its not over. Sigh

"SONY, I AM DISAPPOINT"
For Immediate Distribution
Press Release
May 7th, 2011
A 'HiveMind Effort' from
Anonymous Holdings LLC (Bermuda)

http://pastehtml.com/view/1eejiqj.html
Why do they even post this stuff? What's the point of making singular statement when 'you are legion'. This is supposed to be from a random blob of people, they can't even account for themselves.

DMeisterJ

Banned
This downtime hasn't been too bad for me...

I went and bought the Gears 3 Triple Pack for 360, so I've been playing Gears 1/2 SP and the G3 Beta. It really came at the perfect time. idk how people with one console are surviving though. D:

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
GraveRobberX said:

I liked it better when it was called the Manchurian Candidate

No new News > complaints > funny .gif > repost false or older than jesus playing Uno with Moses posts > 1 poster trolls > 10 posters come to Orc SMASH! troll > Wario has insightful/funny remark > TheSeks still drudging through GOW Collection (keep at it, I believe in yo<3)

Today was a total wash on that, due to mothers day. On the plus side I had some awesome beer and seafood.

> GraveRobberX posts he's ready to suck dick for trophy synch

Kazunzipspants.gif

Raoh said:
Looks like its not over. Sigh

Just let me trophy whore Portal 2 before you do this, you assholes. :(

params7

Banned
WretchedTruman said:
handblablah.gif

That's what people said when anon DDOS'd PSN. Everybody said anon can't do shit turns out one of them or a group of them pretty much fucked Sony out of millions.

If I were Sony, I'd take this threat VERY seriously..obviously now though this will come to Sony naturally for a while.

consoul

Used-ID said:
Capcom won't be having any regrets, but Sony should never have allowed it on their platform.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
mclaren777 said:
That link is blocked here at work. Could you (or somebody else) please copy/paste relevant information?

SONY, I AM DISAPPOINT"
For Immediate Distribution
Press Release
May 7th, 2011
A 'HiveMind Effort' from
Anonymous Holdings LLC (Bermuda)

Yesterday, an article appeared in Financial Times, alleging Anonymous' involvement in the data and identity theft of some hundred million users of Sony's Playstation Network and Sony Online Entertainment. This crime is now being investigated by the Homeland Security Agency (HSA), the Department of Justice (DOJ), and other legal entities.

Once again Anonymous has been blamed for a security breach, this time by the journalist Joseph Menn, in his article "Hackers point finger over Sony incursion" [1]. Here, Anonymous wishes to lay out our case against these allegations and false assumptions:

First, let us consider a different article by Menn published on the Financial Times website and entitled "Hackers Warned of Arrest" [2]. This poor piece of journalism has already been extensively referenced in the Sony matter and is being used by many people who oppose Anonymous as proof of guilt. The only quoted source used by Menn was the now infamous Aaron Barr, former CEO of the humiliated HBGary. Barr made the claim that a chat room called #anonymous, founded by the identity "Q", was irrefutable proof that this "Q" began the movement known as Anonymous. Confident in his assertion, he attempted to sell this and other pieces of so-called "intelligence" about the nature of Anonymous to the U.S. FBI.

His information, however, was incorrect. It would be considered common knowledge that Anonymous began as a "meme", or shared belief, at the turn of the century and later developed to become a "global collective conscience" in 2006. But it was not until 2008 that Anonymous became a true display of "power in numbers". Organised protests against the "Church" of Scientology were staged in over 140 cities around the world, forever associating the Guy Fawkes mask and the right to protest with the movement.

Second, just like Anonymous, John Doe and Joe Bloggs are placeholders, rather than proper names, and are available for free use without repercussions. However because of this, there is no membership to Anonymous and anyone can claim to be a "member". It could be said that "Anonymous is anonymous to Anonymous".

Barr and Menn did not pause to protect the integrity of their professions, but instead made clearly misinformed assumptions, and accordingly published a factually incorrect article. The article was highly scrutinized as being blatantly biased against Anonymous and its participants, and many readers pointed out obvious inconsistencies in the technicalities, and the physical time line.

Third, in the primary article, Menn claims that a "member" of Anonymous, Kayla, made comments as an apparent admission of guilt from the "leaders". Kayla reportedly said, "If you say you are Anonymous, and do something as Anonymous, then Anonymous did it". This statement is inherently weak; an equivalent statement would be that "I confess to being human. Humans performed the attack". Andy Greenburg at Forbes [3] got it right.

Finally, Menn's reference to "technical details" [1] regarding a vulnerability in Sony's network without revealing actual content isn't useful. Until the forensics reports are released we don't know which exploit was used. The forensic investigators need to conclude their work, and speculation in articles, blogs and comments brings the factual results no closer.

Menn's anonymous source claims that "a few ops disappeared" but so has a solid chunk of software infrastructure including NickServ and channel bots over attacks during the PSN outages. Menn's other quotes are a vague mixture of assertions and denials. During the PSN downtime, Anonymous closed #opsony and put "sony" on the automatic kick list as 'profanity' last week.

Is all of this attention on Anonymous acting as a distraction from other problems, and overhyping the nature of the DDoS attacks? Sony's recurring issues are beyond providing free game credits:

In order to process credit cards, every company needs to be PCI compliant. "If you are a merchant that accepts payment cards, you are required to be compliant with the PCI Data Security Standard" [4]. Since Sony's network was "unpatched and had no firewall installed" [5], that is a clear violation of the PCI standards and ongoing reviews [4], thus likely to be criminal negligence [see Further Reading]. More importantly, "I can't think of a major data breach where the company was PCI compliant," said Ira Rothken, the lead attorney handling the class action lawsuit [6].

Sony has been accused of false billing, especially in the repairs department: customers who provided credit card details for an MMORPG are charged $150 for repairs to PS3s that they don't own; repairs are double billed and then referred to retailers; equipment is charged $150 multiple times (2-4) for repairs that aren't performed. [7 and Further Reading]

A decent credit card transaction gateway includes recurring billing as an option. Data mining by corporations has a profit motive, but as Sony has demonstrated it can be a massive liability. Why not start a discussion about corporate responsibility to protect user information, especially since they didn't need it to begin with?

Sony's response to the U.S. Senate [8] is to request more laws and further the myth of "best practices." Since Sony was warned of security holes months in advance [5], one of those "best practices" would be to accept the advice of the experts. In Sony's passing the blame there is no justification for the collection and retention of personal information they didn't need.

Outraged about the blatant coverup and shameful misdeeds, other internet hacker groups will apparently proceed with attacks [9] over Sony's mishandling of the matter. These reactions prove that requesting legislation to cover up corporate crimes and the abuse of law is frowned upon by all online communities, not just the Legion of Anonymous. Apparently Sony will have to learn the hard way that corporate malfeasance will not go unpunished. When the dust settles Sony may have more to fear from a massive class action lawsuit by their user base than the brief actions of the Global Hacker Nerd Brigade, Anonymous... Let THE GAMEs begin. :>

Knowledge is free.
We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
Expect us.

I'd be fine at this point if they delayed PSN being up a little longer if it meant we got the store at the same time (and thus earlier).

I mean, as it is it seems like we'll be getting both at the same time anyway, just with the same date the store was supposed to be up originally. :\

params7 said:
That's what people said when anon DDOS'd PSN. Everybody said anon can't do shit turns out one of them or a group of them pretty much fucked Sony out of millions.

If I were, I'd take this threat VERY seriously..obviously now though this will come to Sony naturally for a while.
no, you completely fucking ignore it and focus on what you need to do in order to update your security. It doesn't mean anything; it's oxymoronic for "Anonymous" to make a press release in the first place.

They're essentially wasting our time by stating the obvious - that is, other hacking spheres are gonna gun for Sony in the future...no shit, morons. I want nothing to do with them.

This shit is going to go on forever.

"No, it wasn't us who downed PSN! It was the other us! Let me ask us! Listen to us! But not the other us! We didn't do that!...wait, unless we did. We don't condone our actions."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom