• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sit back, grab a cup of Hot Coffee, and discuss any and all rumors pertaining to Nintendo's Project Cafe leading up to its reveal at E3 2011.

OE6Oq.gif
Credible Rumors:

- New console using a R700 AMD GPU [CVG]
- Also using a TriCore PPC similar to the one in X360 [CVG]
- Minimum of 512MB RAM [CVG]
- 25GB Optical Disc & 8GB of on-board flash [Kotaku]
- No built-in HDD included, SD card dependent [Kotaku]
- Controller has a 6.2" touchscreen on it [Kotaku]
- Controller also has the standard set of controls & buttons (d-pad, dual analog, 4 face buttons, 2 shoulders & 2 triggers) [Kotaku]
- Controller also has a camera & gyros/accelerometers [Joystiq]
- Backwards compatible with Wiimote
- More powerful than PS360 (significantly or just a tad bit is undefined) [Game Informer/IGN]
- Production starts as early as October 2011 [Fudzilla]

OE6Oq.gif
Reasonable Rumors:

- Devs have had dev kits since sometime last year (just after E3 2010) [Edge]
- Rockstar has something to show (GTA V?) & so does Retro (DKCR2?) [01net][Fudzilla]
- Possible name for system is Stream [IGN]
- $350-$450 price point [IGN]
- Optical Disc is Blu-ray based [Blu-ray.com]
- Launch date June 2012 [01net]
- No Friend Codes [1UP]
- IR sensors in the controller
- Size of original X360 & resembles modern SNES [IGN]
- Backwards compatible with Wii, GameCube [My Nintendo News]

OE6Oq.gif
Wild Rumors:

- Console to be called "Nintendo" [GameInformer]
- Trackpad on back of controller [Juegos DB]
- Haptics & Vitality Sensor built into controller [Loading]
- Retro's game is Eternal Darkness 2 [Zelda Informer]

OE6Oq.gif
Things Confirmed:

- Nintendo to work with an outside company to help build better online [Wired]
Satoru Iwata said:
In the field of networks in particular, however, I admit that we cannot do business in pace with the changes in the world and the requests from consumers only within our company and with development companies we have long been in touch with. I am not sure which term suits us as collaborations for this purpose, [mergers and acquisitions] or partnership.
- Nintendo working closely with 3rd parties to bring games to Nintendo platforms.
- System will support High Definition graphics (1080p assumed)
- System will not launch on or before March 31st, 2012 [NCL]

Thanks to BMF and BlackNMild2k1 for compiling this list of rumors. Sources will be included where available. Updates will be added to this OP.

Nintendo's official E3 2011 site
Countdown to the Nintendo's E3 Media Presentation
Previous Project Cafe thread
Two Project Cafe threads ago

Mod Update

Amir0x said:
Any discussion of or links to Emily Rogers blog and her rumours will result in a ban. She has forged and leaked about a hundred different false rumours and documents at this point and she tried to diss neoGAF for calling her on it. This is not up for discussion.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
$350-$450 price point

Still not buying this AND the rumor that it is a "notch" above 360's power together.

Nintendo would be insane to do that.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
brandonh83 said:
Awesome thread. Half of this stuff I didn't even know about because of how zany the other thread was. Thanks.

Even with that 1 guy posting the rumors at every new page? :p

Plinko said:
Still not buying this AND the rumor that it is a "notch" above 360's power together.

Nintendo would be insane to do that.
I don't think this would be insane. It would be tapping into the new "tablet" market (c.f. controller) as opposed to the casual market, which has led to Nintendo's falling sales. It's hard to know if another casual gambit would work out well at this point, with Sony and Microsoft picking up the slack.

Who knows.

This is the first I've heard of the Eternal Darkness 2 rumour. I hope it's true. A great and rich IP healmed by a developer who could make a world as absorbing and mystical as Talon IV.

Yeah, I'd buy the console on launch day for it.

Mama Robotnik said:
This is the first I've heard of the Eternal Darkness 2 rumour. I hope it's true. A great IP teamed a developer who could make a world as absorbing and mystical as Talon IV. Yeah, I'd buy the console on launch day for that.

Did Silicon Knights sell the IP to Nintendo or Retro, or was it N's in the first place? I don't understand how Retro could be doing it.

JoeBoy101

disappeared said:
Nice and clean OP.

I'm going to throw a crazy $299 launch price prediction out there.

Gonna wait and see after announcement for the price prediction. Right now, its predicting on a console we don't even know the feature set on.

$350 sounds good.

Cheesemeister said:
- Nintendo to work with an outside company to help build better online

Was this from Iwata's speech or something? Trying to figure where that was confirmed.

Shouldn't Backwards Compatability with Wii titles at least be also listed as a rumor?

disappeared said:
Did Silicon Knights sell the IP to Nintendo or Retro, or was it N's in the first place? I don't understand how Retro could be doing it.

According to my Eternal Darkness PAL box and manual, the TM on the game logo and accompanying small print, indicates the words "ARE TRADEMARKS OF NINTENDO".

The only mention of Silicon Knights are a tiny "DEVELOPED BY SILICON KNIGHTS" logo on the back, and the manual credits obviously. It suggests that Nintendo own the IP.

This happened before with Legacy of Kain, when Crystal Dynamics provided development assistance and acted as a publisher, and thus held all ownership of the IP despite the fact that Silicon Knights entirely conceived and built most of the game.

Dystify

outunderthestars said:
Nintendo is not going to launch a $400 console in a recession.
Not too long ago: "Nintendo is not going to launch a $250 handheld in a recession."

Either way, I get your point, but, personally, I'd be fine with paying up to $400, as long as the console is appealing tech or feature-wise.

@ Mama Robotnik and Thunder Monkey

Ah okay. That seems to lend a lot of credibility to the rumor then. That'd be awesome if Retro got to take a stab at it.

Strive said:
Not too long ago: "Nintendo is not going to launch a $250 handheld in a recession."

Either way, I get your point, but, personally, I'd be fine with paying up to $400, as long as the console is appealing tech or feature-wise.

And that system did not meet their expected launch numbers.

Dascu said:
What's the source on these two?

I've compiled just about everything here: Rumor Consolidation 2011

I'm double checking the links to make sure they all still work, but here is the one for Retro making ED2: http://www.zeldainformer.com/2011/0...ct-cafe-title-is-eternal-darkness-2.html#more
&
R* making Cafe game:
http://www.01net.com/editorial/5317...availle-sur-la-prochaine-console-de-nintendo/
The GTA V part is speculation from 01net & mentioned that it will be shown/revealed by Superogatory Superannutation's twitter
supererogatory superannuation
It is my understanding that the new GTA will be unveiled at E3 in some capacity.

Dascu

BlackNMild2k1 said:
I've compiled just about everything here: Rumor Consolidation 2011

I'm double checking the links to make sure they all still work, but here is the one for Retro making ED2: http://www.zeldainformer.com/2011/0...ct-cafe-title-is-eternal-darkness-2.html#more
ZeldaInformer.

Aw shucks.

That site isn't reliable in the slightest. Take their Zelda Wii rumours for instance: http://www.zeldainformer.com/2010/06/breaking-news-latest-zelda-wii-rumors-confirmed.html

JonStark said:
Things Confirmed:
- Nintendo to work with an outside company to help build better online

Wait WHAT ?
As it reads. No other detail known, but if it's someone big, I'm sure that their partnership won't be a silent one.

The megathread was a bit too much of a behemoth for me to follow.

This rumour that Nintendo is teaming with an outside company for its online service - is there any evidenced speculation as to which company
PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF FUCK BE STEAM
it could be? Clearly there are a number of possibilities here, some
STEAM STEAM STEAM
being certainly more palatable than others.

Mama Robotnik said:

This rumour that Nintendo is teaming with an outside company for its online service - is there any evidenced speculation as to which company
STEAM STEAM STEAM

I daydreaed about the same thing, but more reasticilly they talk about servers/network, so it will be some network company I guess :(

Mama Robotnik said:

STEAM STEAM STEAM

Why would Valve help a competitor? I doubt Nintendo would share enough revenue to make it worth Valve's economic while.

Krowley

Mama Robotnik said:

STEAM STEAM STEAM

Nope, the question of which exact company is basically guess work right now.

Mama Robotnik said:

STEAM STEAM STEAM
It's probably going to be Gamespy or something, but a man can dream!

Mama Robotnik said:
If they saw consoles as competitors, then we wouldn't be seeing Steamworks on PS3.
This is why I feel that it's a reasonable thought. I think that other than them, there is Gamespy, EA, and X-Fire.

There's also the obvious possibility that Nintendo will find a small company that's already done this but not had commercial success and help them scale up and have their success as un-named middleware.

BMF said:
This is why I feel that it's a reasonable thought. I think that other than them, there is Gamespy, EA, and X-Fire.

There's also the obvious possibility that Nintendo will find a small company that's already done this but not had commercial success and help them scale up and have their success as un-named middleware.

Or Sega?

outunderthestars said:
steamworks is on the PS3 now?

Well, not right this minute. Give it at least a few more days.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
if ETERNAL DARKNESS gets a sequel my head will explode with excitement.

and holy freaking shit, the idea that retro would be making such a thing. i know it's probably not true, but you say these words in a sentence and it is enough to make your body shake. retro studios eternal darkness 2. retro studios eternal darkness 2.

Graphics Horse said:

Between gross mishandling of their company mascot, the quality of that Dreamcast retro collection, their inability to fire that lunatic who is the head of Sonic Team, and NiGHTS 2, I wouldn't trust Sega to find its own arse with two hands, a map, and a team of advisors.

Keep them well away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom