• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathsmiles 2X |OT| Christmas in May

Risette

A Good Citizen
X-Mode is awesome. I like it more than the arcade mode of the first Deathsmiles.

I'll dive into the arcade mode of DS2 later, as I'll clear my cache to uninstall the patch before I play that to get the missing slowdown back. I wonder if Cave will ever patch the Arcade mode to run like it did at launch without all the glitches? Probably not..

From cave's facebook:
"Deathsmiles IIX is currently available for download from Xbox LIVE Games on Demand service in the United States. Thank you for all your support!

We must apologize to players in Canada and Mexico who we have received messages from regarding the game not being available in those regions. We are currently working with Microsoft on the issue and will update when there has been some progress."

\^o^/

To Far Away Times said:
So how hard is the arcade mode on this one? Especially compared to other Cave games?

It's one of their easier games. I'd say it's a little harder than a mixed rank run in Death Smiles 1 (no canyon), Mushi Futari BL Original, and DFK 1-ALL with Strong, and easier than everything else.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
FloppyDelux said:
From cave's facebook:
"Deathsmiles IIX is currently available for download from Xbox LIVE Games on Demand service in the United States. Thank you for all your support!

We must apologize to players in Canada and Mexico who we have received messages from regarding the game not being available in those regions. We are currently working with Microsoft on the issue and will update when there has been some progress."

\^o^/

Thank you Cave gods!

Daigoro

Aigis said:
X-Mode is awesome. I like it more than the arcade mode of the first Deathsmiles.

I'll dive into the arcade mode of DS2 later, as I'll clear my cache to uninstall the patch before I play that to get the missing slowdown back. I wonder if Cave will ever patch the Arcade mode to run like it did at launch without all the glitches? Probably not..

what? so they fucked up the slowdown in DS2 as well? and in a patch, wtf?

did they ever patch DS1 back to the way it was originally, or is it still a bit off? havent played it in a long time. i need to play again soon.

Daigoro said:
what? so they fucked up the slowdown in DS2 as well? and in a patch, wtf?

did they ever patch DS1 back to the way it was originally, or is it still a bit off? havent played it in a long time. i need to play again soon.

DS2 had a patch that fixed a bunch of things, but in the process they messed up the slowdown a little bit. It's not that bad though. I'd rather play with the patch and have access to online leaderboards.

And yeah, the US version of DS1 was patched to make it identical to the JP version. (which means Arcade mode is more accurate than 360 mode. kinda annoying)

Daigoro

good news about DS1. been meaning to play again lately.

sounds ok about DS2. maybe they'll figure out what happened and fix it up a bit later on down the road. they did it with DS2 after all.

looking forward to picking up DS2 this week.

iconoclast said:
It's one of their easier games. I'd say it's a little harder than a mixed rank run in Death Smiles 1 (no canyon), Mushi Futari BL Original, and DFK 1-ALL with Strong, and easier than everything else.
Cool. I might be able to do this one.

Gaspode_T

I thought somehow my skill had improved 100 times in shmups magically until I read this thread...

Picked up the game and I cleared IIX mode Level 1 using only a single continue. It's probably very similar level of difficulty to Trouble Witches Neo's easier modes on that level, I am sure things get more and more insane as you crank the difficulty up. I noticed slowdown on the chess level but I actually was glad for it...there are some parts where it was saving my ass.

The game worked from Japan so I thought it was region free, hopefully they fix it and it works in Mexico/Canada. I'm kind of worried about people fretting over not understanding Japanese, but trust me you aren't missing much. There is a part in the ending where a box comes up, you are supposed to select between two different options and I can guess from looking at the achievements that each person has two endings based upon that response. I picked the blue haired...maid...and had a ....... interesting ending I kind of want to go pour soapwater over my eyes but I forgive the game for it and I'm used to stuff like that from living in Japan.

PJX

Can anyone confirm that if you are living in the UK with a NA Xbox and a US account can download this?

Gaspode_T

"Can anyone confirm that if you are living in the UK with a NA Xbox and a US account can download this?" For me - I have a US account and living in Japan, for Games on Demand games that are region locked I can't even initiate the download, because it detects my IP as being outside the US. I think you have to actually try to purchase it to check that though. I was able to download Deathsmiles IIX, but since there is a mention of problems with Canada and Mexico I don't know if it was a fluke.

I've been kind of out of the loop with shooters (last one I was seriously into was DoDonPachi), but I just had to grab this for some reason. Loving it so far. I can already tell this is a gateway game for me, to get back into the genre.

When you tease those slow bullets and accumulate a bunch of them, how do you 'clear' them, exactly? A + B? Sometimes that didn't seem to work.

From their FB page:

Cave said:
Glad to hear so many people are pumped to play the game. Deathsmiles IIX is unfortunately North America only for now. If you want to see a release for Xbox LIVE, your best bet is to let our Xbox360 producer know directly at:blog360@mail.cave.co.jp.

robot

I 1cc'ed Deathsmiles mode on my first try (lvl 2 throughout). I'm guessing this is one of Caves easier games since I usually average 3 levels before needing to continue.

Game is great tho, still wrapping my head around the scoring (like most Cave games). Some of the cooler bosses I've seen from them too.

Yes Boss!

PJX said:
Can anyone confirm that if you are living in the UK with a NA Xbox and a US account can download this?
Well,

I took one for the team and bought it with my US system via NA account in Germany and it is downloading...but hella slow. Currently at 5% after ten minutes, but I still might get that yellow exclamation point at the end of download which means it won't finish the last percent. I'll let you know if it works in am hour once it is finished.

Just wanna give Cave the NA sale so they know there is demand for their games distributed like this.

MjFrancis

Bought but not played. I should get to this by the end of the week, though. I was already playing through a campaign of another game and told myself I had to finish one thing before starting another. It's fine though, it's like having to finish your cake before you start on ice cream. All in due time.

When those sales numbers come out, though, can't say I didn't do my part to help CAVE out.

Anony

so apparently, canada is not part of north america then?

doesnt affect me though, i dont have xbox live, would of been nice if the disc was region free again, and cost 40$

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I think the fact that cave is doing this bodes particularly well for the upcoming Akai Katana Shin coming to the west... I would totally buy this if I had access to xbox live, but I'm still waiting on that front...

Yes Boss!

Yay! DS2X downloaded to my NA 360 located in Europe! No problem with the IP. Took like four hours for some reason ($&%#! TKS and its crappy 50€-a-month service). Anybody else in the region with a NA 360 should try to download. This thread already confirms folks can download from Japan and Germany. Likely possible in UK as well.

Huzzahh!

Gonna pull my DS2X stick out from retirement for celebration! It is a beauty:

ded686f1.jpg

BocoDragon

Anony said:
so apparently, canada is not part of north america then?
Canada and Mexico are considered part of North America, according to Cave, and they were surprised that it wasn't on the CA/MX shop. They're working on getting it fixed, according to their Facebook page.

Gaspode_T said:
"Can anyone confirm that if you are living in the UK with a NA Xbox and a US account can download this?" For me - I have a US account and living in Japan, for Games on Demand games that are region locked I can't even initiate the download, because it detects my IP as being outside the US. I think you have to actually try to purchase it to check that though. I was able to download Deathsmiles IIX, but since there is a mention of problems with Canada and Mexico I don't know if it was a fluke.

Yes Boss! said:
Yay! DS2X downloaded to my NA 360 located in Europe! No problem with the IP. Took like four hours for some reason ($&%#! TKS and its crappy 50€-a-month service). Anybody else in the region with a NA 360 should try to download. This thread already confirms folks can download from Japan and Germany. Likely possible in UK as well.

Huzzahh!

Hey guys,

This might sound like a weird question, but did you guys purchase the game with a credit card or with MS points? Apparently the payment method makes a difference in the marketplace enforcing an IP check or not.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Hey, X-Mode is made for just me! I get to feel like an expert, LOL.

I still say they should have just translated the text (there's really not a lot).. but whatever. The main menus and options are in English, at least.

What's with all the DLC talk? I checked the Japanese marketplace page all all it had was a theme and some gamer pics.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Princess Skittles said:
Hey, X-Mode is made for just me! I get to feel like an expert, LOL.

I still say they should have just translated the text (there's really not a lot).. but whatever. The main menus and options are in English, at least.

What's with all the DLC talk? I checked the Japanese marketplace page all all it had was a theme and some gamer pics.
There was some preorder DLC card for it. Not sure what it was though. Ability to use the arcade soundtrack in X/Arrange or something. Or the other way around. On my iPhone so I don't feel like looking it up. :p

edit: ah, so it was soundtrack related (re: post below mine)

Aigis said:
There was some preorder DLC card for it. Not sure what it was though. Ability to use the arcade soundtrack in X/Arrange or something. Or the other way around.
The DLC card is for an alternate soundtrack. You're not missing much. It's pretty terrible.

totowhoa

Banned
Haven't read this whole thread yet, but I think I read on Giantbomb that this game is unlocalized, with original japanese text and audio for NA. Is that correct? I'm about to pick it up either way, but I want to make sure I can find a text tutorial first if that's the case. This will be my first Cave game :D

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Sklorenz said:
Haven't read this whole thread yet, but I think I read on Giantbomb that this game is unlocalized, with original japanese text and audio for NA. Is that correct? I'm about to pick it up either way, but I want to make sure I can find a text tutorial first if that's the case. This will be my first Cave game :D
That is correct, however almost all of the important text (menus, options) are already in English.

The only "need to know" text in Japanese are the prompts to save replays and leaderboard data. There should be no need for any guides.

Yes Boss!

StarCreator said:
Hey guys,

This might sound like a weird question, but did you guys purchase the game with a credit card or with MS points? Apparently the payment method makes a difference in the marketplace enforcing an IP check or not.
Credit Card for purchase...US with a CA address.

Gaspode_T

Yeah Credit Card here too - I hadn't thought that would make a difference (it didn't seem to for some of the other games that blocked me before)

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Yay, I cracked 1,000,000,000 last night without having much of a clue on how the scoring works.. other than get to 1,000 rings and power up.

I just bought DS2 today and gave it a run through a few minutes ago. I have a few questions. I was playing Arcade mode with...someone whose name begins with an L. The girl with the blue hair.

At times it felt like my character would move sporadically and jump a bit further after I had stopped moving. However, the left analog on my controller has a slight drift to it, and this might just be it going off the deep end.

Is DS2 actually easier? I definitely felt like it was more difficult than I remember DS being(being quite a while since I played it, though, or any shooter). I was getting my ass kicked on the stage with the snake boss.

I also felt like there was some ghosting going on with objects? If so, is that intentional? It definitely made following bullets more difficult, but I might just need to put in a few rounds before things start to sink in.

Also, my 360 froze after what I thought was the final scene(with the...stolen music notes(?), or whatever they are, lined up. Did anyone else have the game freeze? Well, going to check out the 360 mode.

Risette

A Good Citizen
HitokiriNate85 said:
I just bought DS2 today and gave it a run through a few minutes ago. I have a few questions. I was playing Arcade mode with...someone whose name begins with an L. The girl with the blue hair.
That's no girl. His name is Lei.

Aigis said:
That's no girl. His name is Lei.

Haha, oh Japan.

Definitely like the 360 mode much more than Arcade. Widescreen is so much better in a horizontal shooter. Also, the game is much easier than on Arcade, so I wasn't imaging things(I usually played the 360 MBL version of DS).

mrgone

I wish they would tell us something about what the hell is going on with the game for the rest of North America. I'm genuinely pissed about this complete fuckup, and the wall of silence doesn't help. Deep breaths!

jlevel13

mrgone said:
I wish they would tell us something about what the hell is going on with the game for the rest of North America. I'm genuinely pissed about this complete fuckup, and the wall of silence doesn't help. Deep breaths!

I don't know that there has been a wall of silence - they've made several comments about it that have been posted earlier in this thread - the lastest from their blog (three days ago) says....

Thank you to our overseas fans for your great interest in Deathsmiles IIX for Games on Demand. Unfortunately, although I announced that Deathsmiles IIX would be available for North America, the game is only available on US Xbox Live. We currently cannot say whether the game will be available in Mexico or Canada. I apologize for the confusion. When there is an update on this issue, I will update the blog.

Thank you,

Makoto Asada

CAVE

http://cave-game.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2011/05/deathsmiles-iix.html

BocoDragon

Oh... we don't know if its coming out in Canada or not :/ lame

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'm pretty sure you guys can still download it if you make a US account and use Paypal or something. The only people who can't download it are the ones with PAL consoles.

Really sucks for those who bought points in preparation though. :(

Top Bottom