• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nice, got to another town-ish area that runs smoother than most of the game, hope it keeps this up.

Wallach

bender said:
I'm stumped. I disabled AA in the game in via the NVidia control panel with the same results. I've also dropped my settings down to low and am having the same issue. I've also updated to the 257.27 drivers and uninstalled the 3d Vision driver. I'm just curious if I got a bum video card or if this is normal.

I guess I could pop in my 4870 512MB and see if I'm still having the issue.

Probably a renderer problem then, I mean you have at least 3 other people above you that say they see the same thing. Chances are slim it has to do with hardware fault.

Is this something that only happens during cinematic scenes?

bender

What time is it?
Wallach said:
Probably a renderer problem then, I mean you have at least 3 other people above you that say they see the same thing. Chances are slim it has to do with hardware fault.

Is this something that only happens during cinematic scenes?

True, seems to be rather common. It happens in cut scenes as well as in-game though it is much less notable in game because of the point of view.

Tokubetsu

EternalGamer said:
Me too. By the time it gets out, I'll have finished the game. However, I won't have regretted it. Game is great even unoptimized.

It will just provide all that much more incentive to enjoy a second play through when they fix stuff.

Yea, I already did my 1st run through. Just waiting on drivers for my second.

mileS

I haven't used RadeonPro before, how do I get double vsync to work? Somebody was saying it locks it at 30. I have a feeling the game would be much more smooth when its not constantly going from 30-60.

I went to global and checked triple-buffering and selected always on (double vsync) but its not working for me.

edit* derp finally got it to work. Turns out I don't like it lol

Rufus

mxgt said:
Got a weird issue where I play for an hour or two and then when I enter or exit a building the game hangs and when I manage to get back in my fps has dropped from 60 to unplayable levels.

It stays like that until I reboot my PC too. No idea what's causing it.
Memory leak. It's one of the issues being addressed by the patch that's due out next week. Check the OP for more details, Minsc keeps it updated with the latest info.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I can't bother testing enough to confirm this but pressing start to enter the menu and then inventory etc (with gamepad) took aaaaaaaaaages to load. Now, after deleting most saves it's gotten pretty damn quick, so, maybe it (stupidly) tries to load all those BMPs even before you click "load game" in that menu which is why it takes so long to bring up the main screen? If you get such a delay try deleting all the old saves or something, you could back them up first as well. This change in behaviour could also be due to changing my settings but I don't think that's it, I was playing arond with them a little but I've been tweaking since I got it and never saw such a substantial difference before.

Pimpbaa

RS4- said:
Ok, did some oc'ing to my CPU and got a pretty good frame rate upwards up to 60 in Flotsam. Granted I've disabled quite a few things and ran it in 720p windowed just to see how it'd hold up. I'm sure I'd be able to enable some of those things again and maintain the framerate.

http://i.imgur.com/VXZxW.jpg

Q6600 clocked to 2.8Ghz.
Stock 2GB 6950.

Ran it on high settings at 1080 fullscreen and yeah, there's no way I'm putting up with the bad frame rate.

What a waste of a 6950, jeez. At least put your texture resolution back up to max.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Tried OCing my processor to 3.5 ghz... still runs the same. I dunno... is the game just poorly optimized in parts, or does ATI just need to fix its shitty drivers?

Honestly, I'll probably just shelve the game until I build a new computer at the end of the year. And take a hammer to this shitty video card.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Runs and looks great, even before an AMD hotfix. Using Radeon Pro with the Dirt2 profile alternate frames with a 6950 CF + i7 2600. Disabled uber sampling though, that kills the fps.

Only odd thing is that it takes 15-20 seconds to launch the game with SSD. My read performance is above 300 MB/s.

Chacranajxy said:
Tried OCing my processor to 3.5 ghz... still runs the same. I dunno... is the game just poorly optimized in parts, or does ATI just need to fix its shitty drivers?

Honestly, I'll probably just shelve the game until I build a new computer at the end of the year. And take a hammer to this shitty video card.

I doubt the CPU has much to do with performance, at least to the point in which OCing would do anything.

pahamrick

Chacranajxy said:

Hrm. I don't know, like I said I'm running an 5870 as well and even with disabling crossfire it never drops below 33 while on a single card.

Minsc

Gold Member
Alextended said:
I can't bother testing enough to confirm this but pressing start to enter the menu and then inventory etc (with gamepad) took aaaaaaaaaages to load. Now, after deleting most saves it's gotten pretty damn quick, so, maybe it (stupidly) tries to load all those BMPs even before you click "load game" in that menu which is why it takes so long to bring up the main screen? If you get such a delay try deleting all the old saves or something, you could back them up first as well. This change in behaviour could also be due to changing my settings but I don't think that's it, I was playing arond with them a little but I've been tweaking since I got it and never saw such a substantial difference before.

Could be, I only have 5 or 6 saves and it's all instantaneous for me. My saves all reside on a SSD, so I'm sure it'd be fine even with hundreds of them :)

teh_pwn said:
Runs and looks great, even before an AMD hotfix. Using Radeon Pro with the Dirt2 profile alternate frames with a 6950 CF + i7 2600. Disabled uber sampling though, that kills the fps.

Only odd thing is that it takes 15-20 seconds to launch the game with SSD. My read performance is above 300 MB/s.

What version? Steam and GOG launch go from launching to logos in ~ 5 seconds for me. Someone else complained they thought the SecureROM check might be slowing down retail's loading, but I'm not sure if there's any truth to that or not.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Minsc said:
What version? Steam and GOG launch go from launching to logos in ~ 5 seconds for me. Someone else complained they thought the SecureROM check might be slowing down retail's loading, but I'm not sure if there's any truth to that or not.

Disc. SecureROM makes more sense than my HDD being slow, as Windows and any other application loads instantly.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm currently getting 30-50 fps in the Prologue, I'd say it's mostly in the 40s. Should I expect huge FPS dips in latter chapters or is it safe to say that I passed ?

teiresias

So I've got:

i7-870 (not overclocked - anyone got a link to a good i7 overclocking guide for the 870?)
2xgtx460 1GB SLI
8GB RAM
Using the Force AR2 method instead of the bleeding lights profile

During gameplay I see maybe a 5fps increase, on average, with SLI over my original single-card configuration, but during in-game cutscenes I'm pretty much pegged at 60fps or just below. Really weird. Gameplay (admittedly just running around outside the tent in the very beginning) fluctuates between 35-60fps.

SLI utilization is weird too. If I sit and stare at a bush or a fence (a low complexity scene) the utilization goes to like 98% on both cards, but the minute I move and give it a more complex scene to render the utilization fluctuates between 50%-80%.

Of course, during Portal 2 GPU utilization on each GPU is only like 15% at any given time, pegged at 60fps, so who knows how much to make of GPU utilization as a metric (though Portal 2 is hardly the most demanding game in the world).

I hope Nvidia releases an "official" SLI profile soon.

mileS

I promised myself not to fiddle with the settings anymore and just finish the game but no I had to mess with it more. I turned DoF gameplay back on and I'm glad I did. I usually turn this off in other games but damn, it really adds to the look in this game. I'm keeping it on because I don't notice any difference performance wise in the forests outside of flotsam or in town.

Mashing

Hmmm, I turned on Ubersampling and it looked worse (muddier textures) then it did without it turned on.

Also, for some reason when I turn on AA in CCC it causing rendering problems (all you see is the background sky and bottom half if completely yellow. Oh, I see this was addressed in the OP. Thanks, I will be sure to keep AA off in the driver

Other than that the game looks fantastic and seems to stay around 25-35 FPS on Ultra.

Yurt said:
I'm currently getting 30-50 fps in the Prologue, I'd say it's mostly in the 40s. Should I expect huge FPS dips in latter chapters or is it safe to say that I passed ?

I'd say you are pretty safe. I have been getting the same framerates throughout.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So i bought a GFX 560 Ti 1gb to eventually try it on Witcher 2 and took a look at Witcher... and for some reason i still don't see any improvement compared to my 9800gt. The Trade quarter for example is still sometimes getting below 30 FPS. Same shit when flying around Stormwind in WoW..

What gives?? This video card is much more powerful, why do i not see any improvement? And yes, i took the latest nvidia drivers and took care of deleting the old one from my 9800gt before installing the GTX 560...

Zeliard

Bisnic said:
So i bought a GFX 560 Ti 1gb to eventually try it on Witcher 2 and took a look at Witcher... and for some reason i still don't see any improvement compared to my 9800gt. The Trade quarter for example is still sometimes getting below 30 FPS. Same shit when flying around Stormwind in WoW..

What gives?? This video card is much more powerful, why do i not see any improvement?

What's your CPU?

Narag

Bisnic said:

What gives?? This video card is much more powerful, why do i not see any improvement?

Wasn't the trade quarter notorious for dragging down framerates or am I imagining that?

epmode

I don't really want to get into my own tech details yet but has anyone noticed severe performance issues in cutscenes and conversations only? I get that. From an average of 30 FPS during normal gameplay to single digits in all cutscenes and conversations.

The thing that drives me nuts about it is that the issue only appears after I've been playing for 30 minutes or so. The instant the cutscene stops, the framerate is fine. Shutting down the game and instantly restarting it fixes the problem for another 20-30 minutes.

I don't have similar performance issues in other graphic intensive games so I'm not sure what's going on.

mileS

epmode said:
I don't really want to get into my own tech details yet but has anyone noticed severe performance issues in cutscenes and conversations only? I get that. From an average of 30 FPS during normal gameplay to single digits in all cutscenes and conversations.

The thing that drives me nuts about it is that the issue only appears after I've been playing for 30 minutes or so. The instant the cutscene stops, the framerate is fine. Shutting down the game and instantly restarting it fixes the problem for another 20-30 minutes.

I don't have similar performance issues in other graphic intensive games so I'm not sure what's going on.

do you have cinematic depth of field on? (not to be confused with Depth of Field Cutscenes) If so try turning it off and see what happens

epmode

mileS said:
do you have cinematic depth of field on?
I do. And I realize that this can impact framerates. ..but the same exact cutscene will play correctly as soon as I relaunch the game. If it was just an overworked card, I'd notice it all the time.

Narag

Alextended said:

Whenever I turned off a few graphical settings, the menu became near instantaneous for me. Even now when I've reduced the save game folder to four saves it's still slow with everything turned back on.

Zeliard

Bisnic said:
It's a AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor 3.2 Ghz.

4gb of RAM, and i got Vista 64 bits... if that can help.

Hm dunno. As far as The Witcher maybe you're getting that 3D driver bug with the new card/driver install. Try reinstalling the newest Nvidia beta drivers and uncheck the 3D Vision driver stuff before the install, if you haven't already done that. I'm also assuming you don't have ubersampling on, and if you have v-sync on get that triple buffering going if you haven't.

Also, upgrade to Windows 7 man :p

mileS

epmode said:
I do. And I realize that this can impact framerates. ..but the same exact cutscene will play correctly as soon as I relaunch the game. If it was just an overworked card, I'd notice it all the time.

hmm not sure. Could it be the memory leak people were talking about? I remember people saying it was okay if you restarted the game or something.

Bisnic

Zeliard said:
Hm dunno. As far as The Witcher maybe you're getting that 3D driver bug with the new card/driver install. Try reinstalling the newest Nvidia beta drivers and uncheck the 3D Vision driver stuff before the install, if you haven't already done that. I'm also assuming you don't have ubersampling on, and if you have v-sync on get that triple buffering going if you haven't.

Also, upgrade to Windows 7 man :p

I already wasted 350 $ in that video card and a new case(last one was too small for that huge video card lol), i really dont want to spend another hundred of dollars for a new OS that i dont really need.

I don't think there is ubersampling with Witcher 1 am i right?

The good thing is my new video card is much much cooler than my old 9800gt. My old GPU could hit 180 fahrenheit while a game was running, my GTX 560 Ti is only at 95! I guess it probably helps that my new case is much bigger(more space for air to circulate) and have 3 big case fans instead of 1 with a regular size.

Fëanor

Medium settings over here.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770
Resolution: 1600x900
Framerate: 30-60 fps

Wallach

Bisnic said:
I already wasted 350 $ in that video card and a new case(last one was too small for that huge video card lol), i really dont want to spend another hundred of dollars for a new OS that i dont really need.

I don't think there is ubersampling with Witcher 1 am i right?

The good thing is my new video card is much much cooler than my old 9800gt. My old GPU could hit 180 fahrenheit while a game was running, my GTX 560 Ti is only at 95! I guess it probably helps that my new case is much bigger(more space for air to circulate) and have 3 big case fans instead of 1 with a regular size.

The Witcher 1 runs on a very iffy engine. You aren't going to see 60 FPS in the trade quarter on any rig that I know of, because of how they handle scripting there. Maybe it's doable but I've never seen it. It's not anything wrong with your machine.

Thoraxes

Ultra (Uber off) (+A few tweaked settings)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 970
GPU: 460 GTX 1GB (Gigabyte)
Resolution: 1920x1080
Location (of test): The Kayran.
Framerate: 30-40FPS.
On 275.27 drivers with 3D vision uninstalled.
Forced in NVIDIA Control Panel 16x CSAA, 16x AF, threaded optimization, and triple buffering.

(Looks super cool on my 40" 1080p TV)

My game config:
qLycr.jpg

Mashing

Hmmm.... to turn on double v-sync or not (causes very floaty cursor). I love double v-sync as it results in a much smoother performance, but the floaty cursor is a bummer.

Venfayth

For those of you who, like myself, want to experience 7.1 sound with a G35 headset, here is an alternative fix rather than downgrading your drivers entirely.

To explain:

We use a program that creates a 'virtual audio cable' to set as your default playback device.

We then use an audio repeater to relay the audio information to your G35 headset (in full 7.1 effect)

The program can be found at:

software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

BE WARNED:

The trial version of this software overdubs a female voice saying "trial" every few minutes. You can choose to ignore her, or buy the software ...

I myself already had this software installed as I use it for streaming with adobe fmle, it's very handy.

Once installed, follow these steps to get everything working properly.

Set Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable) as your default playback device within the Windows interface.
Run the Audio Repeater (MME) from the Virtual Audio Cable folder in the start menu.
Set Wave In as Line 1.
Set Wave Out as Speaker (Logitech G35 Headset)
Set Total buffer to 45 (This reduces the sound latency, default is 500, if you go too low you will get distortion)
Set Buffers between 15 - 20. I use 20.
Set Channel config to 7.1 home theater.
Set Priority to High.

When all is said and done your audio shouldn't be any different. You can experiment with the buffers if you experience any distortion or unwanted latency, and hopefully, you'll be able to actually enjoy The Witcher 2 with your expensive headset.

This isn't an ideal situation to be in, we really shouldn't have to resort to these sorts of solutions to LISTEN to the game. Please keep on both Logitech and CD Project to release a fix.

Also I should give credit to DK1 of the codemasters forum who suggested this as a solution for a similar issue with the G35 and a different game.

So, I know I'm kind of just at min specs. But I was wondering if you guys could help me get this running at 30fpsish in 720p.

Right now I only get between 15-25 FPS even on low in
720p.

These are my specs:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
512 GDDR3
4 GB RAM
2.66GHz Intel Core i7-620m

Inferno313 said:
So, I know I'm kind of just at min specs. But I was wondering if you guys could help me get this running at 30fpsish in 720p.

Right now I only get between 15-25 FPS even on low in
720p.

These are my specs:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
512 GDDR3
4 GB RAM
2.66GHz Intel Core i7-620m

Did you look at the gaming laptop performance info in the OP? Thats what helped me out alot.

Bisnic

Wallach said:
The Witcher 1 runs on a very iffy engine. You aren't going to see 60 FPS in the trade quarter on any rig that I know of, because of how they handle scripting there. Maybe it's doable but I've never seen it. It's not anything wrong with your machine.

Speaking of iffy engine... how are the animations during cutscenes or when you talk to people in Witcher 2? Nothing more stupid than people who are talking to you while looking at the sky or pointing at you for no reason.

mileS

Turning off vsync for now. When I had it on with either in game or forced with D3DOverrider it worked fine most of the time but running around in the forests outside floatsam it gets kind of jumpy. You can really notice it with the run animations. Hopefully the AMD fix or patch will get rid of this.

M.D

I've got

CPU: E8400
GPU: ATI HD4870
RAM: 4GB

The FPS is not smooth even on low.

Any advice? Or is my PC just too old and I need a new one?

Ok I seem to have a problem with the install of the game. I installed the game and everything work fine until the patch part. There seems to be two patches the patcher downloads. After the 1st one it downloads a patch that is 286892 kbs. It then becomes hung up on the verifying _ATARI.eke and either says retrying connection or just starts over again.

I already tried to regedit solution or so I think. I only got the "Error Writing File" message ounce ,but I'm not exactly sure where you delete the values except 19 as I don't see any numbers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Man

In case anyone face the same problem as me.

System specs: 460GTX, 4GB ram, 4x 2.8ghz CPU, SSD, Win7 64bit.

Game ran absolutely horribly from 0.2 fps at Ultra to 5-10fps on Low settings.
I tried disabling everything (started with Ubersampling, AA, DOF, MB etc until I ended up with everything turned off) but it didn't help.

I then deleted my 3D Vision driver and controller but no performance gain from that either (Nvidia drivers were 270.61).

I then installed Nvidia's 275.2X Beta drivers with (3D vision options checked off) and now I have 30-60fps on Ultra settings (Ubersampling turned off).

Durante

Corky said:
I tried for almost an hour to download that 7mb dlc. Including messing about in regedit removing registry files associated with other dlcs that were supposedly messing things up. I have up after that one hour.
You know what I just did? I "pirated" the free DLC. Worked perfectly and took all of 5 seconds.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oh wow. By overclocking my E8500 to 3.8ghz (Surprisingly enough, it's stable) and lowering to the absolute lowest resolution and graphics, I was able to muster a grand 24 FPS in larger fights as opposed to the usual 19!.

Increasing to 1280x720 with High textures and no compression yielded the same results!

I also like how the game runs better when you use RadeonPro to make the game believe your AMD GPU is an Nvidia one.

Top Bottom