This is the E3 'hub' for Skyrim info (and also the site of an epic turf war). Gameplay demos and trailers will still get their own threads, but they'll all be linked here for reference, as well. Any other news you'll be able to find here.
Originally Posted by Seanspeed
Didn't feel this needed its own thread, but I've got pre-order info:
Get a premium Skyrim map with your preorder
Making real maps of our fantasy worlds is an Elder Scrolls tradition. As Todd Howard said all the way back in a Morrowind blog post, “There’s something about having a physical object in your hands that feels like it’s part of this other world, that you are that person in the game, finding your way among the hills.”
With that in mind, today we are announcing that anyone who preorders Skyrim will automatically receive a premium quality world map with their copy as a no-extra-cost-to-you bonus.
To guarantee your copy of your premium quality world map, please pre-order today.
Update: We’ve received plenty of questions about the map. So you know, it’s a high-grade material that has a feel similar to burlap, and will be available in North America and European territories. There will be a regular paper map included in all copies of the game, but if you want to get the premium map, we recommend pre-ordering the game.
Originally Posted by XtremeRampage
Todd Howard AusGamers Interview. Shed some lights about PC and consoles, and mods support.
: Rumor has it there are romances
in the game. 'Rumor' is the keyword in this sentence. Nevertheless, I'm expecting a shitload of lizard porn to grace TES fansites soon.
: Remember that huge-ass Skyrim advertisement? Bethesda made a time-lapse video of its creation, and put some epic Skyrim music behind it. The music alone makes it worth it, give it a listen.
- GameSpot has us covered with some epic, unnarrated, 720p footage.
- Part 1
- Part 2
- Part 3
- GameTrailers has the first look at Skyrim up on its website. (Thread) (YouTube link)
- G4 has an awesome extended gameplay video up, as well.
) (YouTube link)
Moar screenshots from Kotaku! (Thanks, callmedave!)
More info from Playstation Magazine:
- Doomstones, like in Oblivion, can give you birthsign-like buffs and talents. If you decide you want a different constellation to "guide you", you can activate a different doomstone. They're scattered across Skyrim.
- The speechcraft wheel from Oblivion is out. Instead, the game offers speech checks like in the Fallout games.
- You can bash and block with bows, staffs and two-handed swords.
- The ecology interacts with each other. Foxes will, for instance, hunt rabbits.
- Storm Call is a high level shout, and calls down a lightning strike from the heavens.
- Giants are mentioned to be 12ft tall.
- "It will take 300 hours to see everything this game has to offer".
- The city of Whiterun is surrounded by brown and green tundra
- Mammoths travel in herds, and usually with giants. Attack one mammoth, and you’ll get the entire herd after you.
- An attacking dragon is decribed as “picking up a Giant’s body in its claws”
- Dragons can sometimes back eachother up in combat (though it’s not common)
- Not every dragon is a “fire” dragon. There are other types.
- One of the boss-level enemies is called a “Draugr Overlord”
- Ward spells are a magical “shield”, and are an effective alternative to using a corporeal one.
- The three crafting systems in the game are enchantment, alchemy and smithing.
- The dungeons in Skyrim are Bethesda’s way of making a more “scripted, dramatic” experience
- You can loot giant’s noses and toes.
- Armor pieces are, contrary to what the magazine says, still in.
: Did someone say screenshots
As promised in the other thread, here's the first info from the Official Playstation Magazine-article. Enjoy!
Dragons randomly appear in the gameworld, and encounters with them are completely unscripted. An injured dragon will not be able to fly
, so you'll get to fight them on your own turf.
Three new Dragon Shouts
are also described:
- “Yol Toor”: Fire Breath
- “Iiz Slen”: Ice Crystals
- “Strun Bah Qo”: Lightning Storm
- Slow Time
- Whirlwind Spirit (quickly move in one direction)
In combat, torches
are now also able to be used as a weapon.
The random quests generated by the game’s Radiant Story-mechanic were inspired by the random encounters in Fallout 3. The people at Bethesda didn’t like how ‘fake’ some of the quests in Oblivion felt, and hope to make the ones in Skyrim feel more ‘real’.
There are 13 different types of ore
to be used for your Crafting/Smithing skill. There's also a casualty: Hand to Hand has been removed.
It will presumably be replaced by a perk tree in the One-handed skill, like Blade and Blunt.
There are 60.000 lines of recorded dialog
in the game, with a lot more voice actors than in Oblivion or Fallout 3 (for reference: Fallout 3 had 40.000 recorded lines). Three new factions
are also confirmed (alongside the Dark Brotherhood):
- The Thieves Guild
- The College of Winter Hold (for Mages)
- The Companions (for Warriors)
The stories told in these faction questlines will be interwoven with one another, and with the main questline.
Each city in the world has an unique economy, which the player can sabotage, should they so desire. Cities are still patrolled by guards, but they’re no longer the omniscient killing machines they were in Oblivion. Bounties the player can incur are also no longer valid throughout the land: for instance, if you kill someone in Hold A, the guards in Hold B will not
arrest you for it.
As for traversing the world, you get a few options. Horses are back
, and according to the article actually handle like horses this time. The fast-travel
system from Morrowind returns as well, with carriages able to transport you to all the major settlements in Skyrim right from the start. Oblivion's fast-travel also returns, but only for locations you've already discovered.
There are also new screenshots described, though I haven't seen them for myself yet. These include a battle with a Draugr, a campsite near a river, a new type of fire spell, a female human character walking towards a city, a close-up of a female (possibly Imperial) warrior, a guard in Legionnaire armor and a bearded Nord in a castle, armed with a warhammer.
From the Bethesda forums
. Will update as I learn more.
Enjoy this wallpaper, courtesy of Bethesda.
For those of you just joining us, there's more screenshots and info to be found at the previous Skyrim thread
. Don't bump the thread, though, use this one instead.