• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 pulled from Steam Store, [Move To New Thread, See Last Post For Link]

Status
Not open for further replies.

(._.)

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
So.. if people are mad that EA might not release titles on steam, would they be mad if valve didn't release products on origin?
Think this question over before you ask it.

EA is OBVIOUSLY going to use BF3, Mass Effect 3 and Star Wars Old Republic as exclusive, killer-apps for their download service.

Why do you think Valve trojan-horsed Steam into every copy of Half-Life 2 when it was still an early piece of shit? Because they knew the only way to get the snowball rolling was to force people onto the service with a game they wanted.

It's not an unfair or unintelligent business practice. You use what you have (anticipated games) to get what you want (users on your service).

(._.) said:
I'm unfamiliar with origin. I've gotten some stuff in the past through the EA store last year and it was a pain dealing with their their store online. It reminded me a lot of the Ubi store I just redeemed a game from, lacking compared to say how you get games through steam.

Still a silly idea since Steam is already king.
definitely agree with you. I love aand prefer steam. was just saying origin is a program like steam. I don't like the idea of EA being so weird about their games. guess it cuts out the middle man or some bullshit

Makoto

Wthermans said:
Distributor exclusivity is fine with me as long as the consumer gets things along the way. This has never been the case with EA and I doubt it ever will be. No dev from EA's holdings has ever given us what Valve has (not just with Steam, but the free, first-party content for their games as well). Supporting BF3 just because it's got some pretty graphics and destruction when they are literally removing consumer choice is ridiculous.
What isn't the consumer getting though?

Acosta

szaromir said:
My PC works perfectly fine.
And yes, you do have emotional attachment. Otherwise you wouldn't care where you download a game from, simple as that.

No, it doesn't, you say Steam adds a delay for running games, I say that is pure bullshit and doesn't happen to me. So your PC is not "fine". There is something called "configuration", you should try it.

Steam offers me a service, and I like that service so I prefer using it. Is that concept so hard for you to understand?

szaromir

Banned
Snuggler said:
Definitely, even though I spend the most money on Steam by far, I still keep a tab on the other retailers. I love Steam, but I'm not one of those dudes who refuses to shop elsewhere. Still, the issue is exclusivity, and the fact that it likely would be something that only EA benefits from. I'm all about having choice.

We'll see.
Shouldn't you demand Valve to make their games available outside of Steam and retail, too?

Steam offers me a service, and I like that service so I prefer using it. Is that concept so hard for you to understand?
Yes, it is.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
My Origin experience was pretty painless, but I was just redeeming a code for ME2 that koji gave me. I haven't tried to actually buy anything yet.

Kevin

If EA stops supporting Steam then I'll stop supporting them. I use Steam primarily for the convenience factor and I'm not looking to add more digital download services to my list. I will be disappointed by this decision but I feel as if I don't really need their games and so I can deal with it if need be.

sflufan

Banned
Once again, the main point of contention (at least for me) is NOT that EA pulled Crysis 2 from Steam at all. This would be a non-issue if it were pulled from Steam and made an Origin exclusive -- no one should have any arguments about that as it is exactly what Valve does with its own titles. The main point of contention (for most people I hope) is that the game is available for all other DD outlets EXCEPT for Steam.

goldenpp72

(._.) said:
Think this question over before you ask it.

Oh I did, I'm just wondering from a consumer perspective how this is 'wrong', steam has a sort of monopoly here and it's natural others will try and probably fail to take them down. All the same, EA has some big hitters and if I were launching a new service like steam, i'd do the same thing.

Not good for the consumer, but then again I don't think valve would play ball in reverse either.

Corto

I'm curious to see if this comes to fruition if this will damage EA/Valve's partnership on the physical distribution of Valve's games.

1-D_FTW

The Antitype said:
EA is OBVIOUSLY going to use BF3, Mass Effect 3 and Star Wars Old Republic as exclusive, killer-apps for their download service.

Why the hell do you think Valve trojan-horsed Steam into every copy of Half-Life 2 when it was still an early piece of shit.

It's not an unfair or unintelligent business practice. You use what you have (anticipated games) to get what you want (users on your service).

I've been preaching this for a while about why they're going to do it. It doesn't mean it's not asinine. They're not competing with Steam in 2011. That battle was fought years ago. All they're accomplishing now is pissing people off. The extra money they'll make will not be offset by the money they lose in lost sales.

Hawk269

Xamdou said:
EA pulled Crysis 2 from the steam store because they know of the upcoming steam summer sale which will make mark the game's price anywhere from 30%-50%.

Anyone know when the Steam sale is? This is my first summer with PC gaming and have been told by almost everyone about this big sale they do during summer, but just wanted to find out when it normally runs so I have money set aside to take advantage of these deals.

1-D_FTW said:
I've been preaching this for a while about why they're going to do it. It doesn't mean it's not asinine. They're not competing with Steam in 2011. That battle was fought years ago. All they're accomplishing now is pissing people off. The extra money they'll make will not be offset by the money they lose in lost sales.

Fair enough. They think the window to compete with Steam is still open. We'll see if they're right or wrong.

JesseZao

Makes sense. I'm surprised they haven't done it sooner. Could see this coming with all of the sales for buying directly from their site over the past couple of years.

As awesome as Steam as a service is, there is certainly no reason for other publishers to not be allowed to have their own storefront. Or is Valve going to start selling their games on other services?

Corto said:
I'm curious to see if this comes to fruition if this will damage EA/Valve's partnership on the physical distribution of Valve's games.

Yeah, wonder how that will turn out.

coopolon

Wthermans said:
Distributor exclusivity is fine with me as long as the consumer gets things along the way. This has never been the case with EA and I doubt it ever will be. No dev from EA's holdings has ever given us what Valve has (not just with Steam, but the free, first-party content for their games as well). Supporting BF3 just because it's got some pretty graphics and destruction when they are literally removing consumer choice is ridiculous.

Burnout Paradise had a hell of a lot of free DLC and I think all the free stuff is in the PC version as well. Sure, it's no TF2, but I think it's probably second best for non-MMO free post-release support.

ampere

1-D_FTW said:
And having the memory of an elephant. I remember EA's crappy pay to download schemes in the past. And EA changes corporate directions with the seasons. There's absolutely no reason to be confident in what you're buying into, because they've given ample reason to distrust everything. This is why Steam has earned its loyalty. It's straight forward and simple. Buy a game and download as many times as you want. Heck, abandon your account for 5 years and still be able to come back and play it. It's peace of mind.
Elephant
...are famed for their memory and intelligence...

Ashes

Banned
Funny how capitalism works ain't it? Valve titles get published by EA, who don't allow their titles on Steam.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I guess I'm not buying EA games anymore.

GJS

Corto said:
So this Origins service will have summer sales too? If so, I'm good with this, if not, fuck you EA and from now on I'll buy retail at crash prices and download afterwards the DD version from your service.
The EA store had summer sales to compete with Steam, Origin will likely continue to do the same.

szaromir

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
You assume that all people are blind Valve sheep and a company like EA can't reach them otherwise. You're wrong, people are willing to spend $300 to play one game on a console they otherwise wouldn't have, they'll be willing to download a game outside of Steam, too.

larvi

EA pulled this same dick move with Gametap a few years ago. They pulled about 70 titles off of the service like the Origin games so you couldn't play them anymore. It didn't matter whether you were halfway through the game, you were pretty much screwed. It soured me to the whole subscription gaming thing.

markot

Banned
Guess what EA?

BF3 is now a non purchasification.

This is the straw that broke the camels back.

1. Limited edition maps, split the community before the game is even launched!
2. How that bodes for the future of the game, (Not well!)
3. Stupid retailer crap.
4. Only Origin?

P Shaw to you I say!

This is like the record companies trying to fight itunes. Guess what EA? Ya aint gonna win.

Makoto

Ashes1396 said:
Funny how capitalism works ain't it? Valve titles get published by EA, who don't allow their titles on Steam.
EA publishes Valve titles, who doesn't allow their titles on...ANY OTHER DIGITAL DISTRIBUTOR.

(._.)

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
Oh I did, I'm just wondering from a consumer perspective how this is 'wrong', steam has a sort of monopoly here and it's natural others will try and probably fail to take them down. All the same, EA has some big hitters and if I were launching a new service like steam, i'd do the same thing.

Not good for the consumer, but then again I don't think valve would play ball in reverse either.
I don't think there is anything really wrong with it. its just an inconvenience to the many many people who prefer using steam. Valve has been in the DD business a lot longer than EA has. they have already established themselves. Their games have a reliable and trusted way to be distributed plus a client that works really well. Nobody would be inconvenienced if say they didn't bring their games to this new thing EA is launching. I think that question just doesn't really make the kind of point I believe you are trying to make.

Zimbardo

so i registered some of my EA cdkeys on Origin ...

ones that worked:

crysis2 limited edition (bought from direct2drive)
medal of honor (bought from steam)
c&c red alert 3 (bought from steam)
mass effect 2 (bought from steam)
need 4 speed hot pursuit (bought from direct2drive)
dead space 2 (bought from steam)
battlefield bad company 2 digital deluxe version (bought from steam)
burnout paradise the ultimate box (bought from steam)
dragon age origins ultimate edition (bought from wal mart)

ones that i was unable to register:

dead space (from steam. there's no cdkey)
mass effect 1 (from steam. cdkey doesn't work on origin)
c&c red alert 3 uprising (from steam. no cdkey)
crysis 1 (from steam. cdkey wont register)
crysis warhead (from steam. cdkey wont register)
battlefield 2 complete collection (bought from wal mart years ago. cdkey wont register)
battlefield 2142 (bought from walmart years ago. cdkey wont register)

would have been nice to get all my EA games on Origin ...but at least i could register some on there.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
szaromir said:
You assume that all people are blind Valve sheep and a company like EA can't reach them otherwise. You're wrong, people are willing to spend $300 to play one game on a console they otherwise wouldn't have, they'll be willing to download a game outside of Steam, too.
I don't know what you mean.

Cataclysm and StarCraft 2 were quite the bombas.

Acosta

szaromir said:

The only sheep here is you, that will do whatever company wants you to do for your videogame. I like options.

It wouldn't surprise me if they brought Crysis 2 back if or when Origin starts building some...steam.

I see them trying to promote Origin by having their games on Origin only, but why just Steam? I don't understand that.

StuBurns

Banned
The Antitype said:
Fair enough. They think the window to compete with Steam is still open. We'll see if they're right or wrong.
The window is open, and if Battle.net for example were to open up to third parties, they'd seriously challenge Valve, but EA won't.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Snaku said:
Then I will not buy it. Simple as that.
Same.
I already have an online store I'm happy with..community features I'm happy with..a long standing service I have faith in.
EA wants to refuse to sell their product there? So be it..but thats where I buy online content for PC..period.

leadbelly

Banned
sflufan said:
The main point of contention (for most people I hope) is that the game is available for all other DD outlets EXCEPT for Steam.

Which is actually an interesting point. It goes back to my original question: how much does Valve charge developers/publishers for using the Steam service?

There may be a few reasons for them making this decision really. There is no question that Steam is the most popular service and would probably take more sales away from Origin than any other DD service. They could be factoring in the cost of using steam with the sales lost on their own DD service and come to the conclusion it makes more business sense to remove Steam completely out of the picture.

szaromir

Banned
Nirolak said:
I don't know what you mean.

Cataclysm and StarCraft 2 were quite the bombas.
He said it's EA's loss not to release games on Steam. Maybe short term to some extent it is, but (IMO) not by much and not long term. They can still reach people who use Steam, I don't there are as many Steam-only followers as some people on GAF suggest.

coopolon

Zimbardo said:
mass effect 1 (from steam. cdkey doesn't work on origin)

would have been nice to get all my EA games on Origin ...but at least i could register some on there.

From another thread...

coopolon said:
I was actually able to register Mass Effect at this website.

https://activate.ea.com/gameactivation.do

After entering the code I created a new persona rather than using an already existing one based on advice I found on the EA website. It took my Crysis Warhead key but that didn't show up in Origin, but Mass Effect did.

FOOTE

That's okay EA, I wasn't sure if I was going to buy BF3 on PC anyway. Thank more helping me with my decision though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom