• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Okamoto "from riches to rags", Game Republic Is Dead

Vandiger

I have played Folklore, Genji, Maijin all of them are fairly good games. Its too bad they never had the chance to make sequel to Folklore, underrated game.

Datschge

zeelman said:
Tales Studio? Namco has been running them into the ground ever since they bought them.
Well, Tales Studio is a part of NBGI, so they can't go down like the independent BR and GR anymore. But Tales Studio's former parent company Telenet Japan did go down in 2007. Maybe that was the start of it all? =P

Wanted to visit Okamoto's blog and Game Republic's site a few days ago and noticed they were down. Bankruptcy was the first thing that came to my mind, sad to see it confirmed. Now's your chance Nintendo, capture them all! Zelda needs Flagship!

Unfortunate. I enjoyed and still have the original Genji on the shelf, and just did everything in Majin except grinding levels to max for one last achievement. Plus, still have Brave Story on PSP (via PSN). None of these titles would ever win major awards, but each is entertainingly competent, and Genji and Majin especially stick in one's memory with their vivid worlds and artwork.

Folklore is one I have consistently heard about and would long ago have played if not restricted to PS3. Will be a primary pick-up if/when I do get a PS3.

Lastly, I hadn't even heard about Knight's Contract before. That must count as something of an accomplishment for Namco Bandai marketing. Mediocre reviews notwithstanding, will get to that one when I find it on sale.

Takao

Banned
TheOGB said:
But what about Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butoden?

:( RIP GR

Doesn't seem like it's being localized.

First Dragon Ball game since the 90s to hold that distinction (Wonderswan game don't count).

Vinci

Danish
Some of his games were good, but what his company did to Catan was just dreadful. All the same, this is a sad story and I really feel for the guy.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
So it's official now, Game Republic is no more. :(

Hope the guys form a new studio and buy Folklore/Folksoul IP from SCEJ.

Ravidrath

chaostrophy said:
I wonder if this is why Brave Story got taken off PSN. :(

I believe that was due to the Brave Story license expiring - that's a book and anime movie in Japan.

It was similar to the Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 DLC expiring, basically.

Shadow780

Genji_-_Dawn_of_the_Samurai_Coverart.png

Still their best game, too bad the sequel didn't follow up.

OniShiro

Banned
Does anyone know if Sony has the rights to the Folklore franchise? because I just realized a Folklore game on the PS Vita would be awesome with the gyroscopes and touch inputs.

KuroNeeko

Well, at least the news finally got out.

The article itself is accurate on only a few points - the actual story behind the "final days" of Game Republic is long and convoluted and I'm not even sure I really want to get into it as I'd probably end up saying something I'd regret and shooting myself in the foot.

For those of you looking for a sequel to Folklore, all I can say is "don't hold your breath." The IP lies in Sony's hands and by their accounts - Folklore was a failure. Truth is, during the last 6 months or so, GR DID submit a proposal for a downloadable, Move-based, Folklore title. The proposal was received fairly well, but failed to pass the internal review board at Sony by a few points. We were told that the IP didn't move enough units in the US to really warrant the risk of making a new one.

So the ball is in their hands. I imagine if you came up with some really awesome concept you might have more luck, but it's probably a dead-end.

As for Okamoto, I will say that he's going through a tough time right now. He's made some some unpopular decisions that will not be winning him any awards with his past coworkers. Word is that he says he's done with the Industry but people who know him think he'll be back when things settle down.

Just wish that things would have turned out different with Clash of the Titans and Knights Contract. There was a whole lot more that went on behind the scenes - especially with Clash that no one knew anything about. Unfortunately, it's still a bit too soon for me to say what went down; maybe in a few more years. Knights Contract started off really well, but again, with the game just now going on sale in Japan - I really shouldn't get into the details. It isn't too hard to imagine what happened there.

Shadow780 said:

While the official stance is that we were thrilled to have the opportunity to make a launch title for the PS3, Genji 2 was originally a PS2 title that we had to change to PS3. I think the total production time for the PS3 version was really short - I remember hearing a figure along the lines of 6 months or so. You have to remember that at that time, the PS3 was brand spanking new and developers were just trying to figure stuff out. Most of the staff agree with you though, the prequel was the better title.

OniShiro said:
Sorry, my bad, you are right, Enslaved is by Ninja Theory, don't know why I thought it was by Game Republic

Probably because Enslaved was published by Bandai / Namco, which also published Majin (as well as Clash of the Titans and Knights Contract). Also, both titles featured partner-based gameplay.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Duki said:
folklore was a mildly enjoyable game that people are going to deify now

yep I returned it on a rental before finishing (think after I passed the water area). It's got a nice unique combat system but it's also tedious to play, bad level design, etc Loved the bosses though, reminded me of Hayao Miyazaki movies.

wrowa

Very interesting tidbits, thanks for sharing KuroNeeko.

I take it that you are out of a job now? That really sucks, I hope you are going to find something new soon.

KuroNeeko

wrowa said:
Very interesting tidbits, thanks for sharing KuroNeeko.

I take it that you are out of a job now? That really sucks, I hope you are going to find something new soon.

Thanks! I'm actually at a new studio that just started up this year. We're very small (less than 20 people) but I like it. Working in a small team means you get to do a lot more of everything and has given me a lot of opportunities to learn that I wouldn't have had at GR. It was a fun ride but the last few months were dark. A number of friends ended up leaving the industry for good, but I guess that's nothing new these days.

Well

I started Clash of The Titans and holy crap there looks to be nearly 100 weapons to find and grind. I'm a sucker for this sort of thing so already the game kind-of has me hooked.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
KuroNeeko said:
For those of you looking for a sequel to Folklore, all I can say is "don't hold your breath." The IP lies in Sony's hands and by their accounts - Folklore was a failure. Truth is, during the last 6 months or so, GR DID submit a proposal for a downloadable, Move-based, Folklore title. The proposal was received fairly well, but failed to pass the internal review board at Sony by a few points.

Sony is full of fail.

KuroNeeko said:
We were told that the IP didn't move enough units in the US to really warrant the risk of making a new one.

US PS3 owners are full of fail.

:(

The only hope is Folklore 2 by Team Never or Team Loli Jumper

Takao

Banned
Oh man, good to hear you've gotten a new job since then.

I realize this is probably out of your knowledge, but do you know if Bandai was ever considering localizing Ultimate Butoden? It was GameRepublic's second last game, and from what we've heard, a really good one. I'd like to play it, even if I didn't buy Origins 2 (I'm sorry :( ).

slade

Fuck the haters, I loved Genji 2. Easily PS3's best launch title and it gave me my Onimusha fix while Capcom were busy with lesser games like Dead Rising and Lost Planet. The camera was the games only problem and you could adjust for it.

RIP GameRepublic, your death is just one more indication that Onimusha type games are forever dead. I don't trust Capcom to handle Onimusha, they would probably hand it off to Ninja Theory and we would wind up with a Samanosuke that looks like Ninjatam.

ram

Shadow780 said:
Genji_-_Dawn_of_the_Samurai_Coverart.png

so true - a real action game, far better than any onimusha and really their best game - also far better than folklore.

Top Bottom