• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2011 Sales Results [Update5: Most HW in, Infamous 2]

Draft

Seda said:
whatwillsave3DS.png
Hah, perfect.

border

Those 3DS sales have got to be horrible news for the Playstation Vita. If Nintendo can't make a $250 handheld work, Sony has no shot at all.

Cookin' mama will save the 3DS/

Relaxed Muscle said:
Xbox 360 is a beast right now. Why MS should consider the next one, when the 360 sales still growing YoY ?
With all the money they have they can wait it out for sales to decline Wii->WiiU style, or release a successor before Sony and with maximum specs, 1080p, 60fps da works.

Thing is which way is the right way? Doesn't look good for Sony, doesn't look good at all.

TheNatural

My Member!
BurntPork said:
Well... Can 3DS hope for Gamecube sales, at least?

Seriously, there's no point in denying it anymore. It's dead.

That's a dumb comment. Gamecube sold 21 plus mil worldwide it's entire life. The 3DS already had about 4 mil worldwide at the end of March, I have no idea what it's LTD sales are now, but it's going to have half of what Gamecube did most likely after the holidays.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
upJTboogie said:
It's probably the free Xbox's with Windows 7 PCs. Plus it is weird that this would be because of Kinect when I don't see any Kinect games in the top 10.
Actually....that's a very good point that might explain this abnormality. Do we know if NPD would count those?

EDIT: Already answered. Yeah, thats where I'm betting 200k or so of those came from.

jjasper

TheNatural said:
It is the price. The same reason PSP bombed and DS did well. Wii is a dead console at the end of the it's lifespan, you can't compare dropping the price of a console that's been out almost 5 years to a an overpriced handheld. No one wants to put down $250, and essentially $300 plus dollars with tax to buy a handheld game system and a game. Sorry, people don't want that. Vita is going to do the same thing.

Except the PSP didn't bomb its first year. The price isn't what held it back. It was selling 200K plus a month I think.

Edit: Quick google search of NPD June 2005 gives you this

PSP: 294,000

Awesome for Microsoft. I expect the big games and the $100 gift card made it a steal.

Nintendo is trying to get as much revenue from that pricepoint as possible. It'll have bundled by Christmas with Mario on it. Mark it.

Highest selling game of the month looked to be Infamous 2, with 360 or PS3 LA Noire above it. Zelda was probably 2-4 on the SKU Top 10.

Mrbob

TheNatural said:
It will at least get people who want something new for a holiday launch, but yeah, the games that didn't do shit for the PS3 are supposed to sell the Vita? I do get that point. Overall though, nothing is going to hold up at $250 that's a gaming machine. It's just too damn much. I didn't think so at first, but it's definitely what the case is.

As someone who is a 3DS owner, I think it is Nintendo's unwillingness to fully embrace digital which is the biggest problem with the device.

I really don't have a big need to have a bunch of physical content on a portable. And the Eshop content is, well, spotty at best. I do think phones/itouch is having an effect, but I do believe Sony is better prepared for the digital portable transition than Nintendo is.

NateDrake

BurntPork said:
Well... Can 3DS hope for Gamecube sales, at least?

Seriously, there's no point in denying it anymore. It's dead.
And how the ignorant speak. Guess everyone has forgotten how poor the DS did at first before suddenly kicking serious ass. It is actually getting really boring seeing the same comments in each 3DS sales thread saying "It's over!" "3DS is dead".

Kusagari said:
I expect both Vita and 3DS to combine for the lowest generation of handheld sales ever. Welcome our new mobile overlords people.

This I agree with. The Brain Age/Nintendogs/Sudoku loving person won't be buying a 3ds this generation. I could see the Vita doing about the same as the PSP: decent but not mindblowing numbers....

NateDrake said:
And how the ignorant speak. Guess everyone has forgotten how poor the DS did at first before suddenly kicking serious ass. It is actually getting really boring seeing the same comments in each 3DS sales thread saying "It's over!" "3DS is dead".

You forgot what saved the DS: The DS Lite revision, Brain Age, and Nintendogs.

I don't think that consumer is coming back...

dvolovets

Just got this email.
July 14, 2011
Nintendo News
Zelda Finishes No. 2 After Only 11 Days on the Market

After less than two weeks on store shelves, The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D for the Nintendo 3DS™ portable entertainment system finished the month as the No. 2 best-selling video game on an individual platform, with more than 283,000 units sold, according to the independent NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States.

Other highlights from the month include:

Nintendo sold more than 800,000 combined hardware units in June. This includes 386,000 units of the Nintendo DS™ family of systems, 273,000 Wii™ systems and 143,000 Nintendo 3DS systems. Each product line saw double-digit growth over the previous month, and the lifetime U.S. installed base for the Wii system crossed 36 million units.

Five of the top 10 and 13 of the top 25 best-selling individual software titles play on Nintendo platforms.

This holiday season, Nintendo will offer something for everyone with fan-favorite titles including Super Mario™, Mario Kart™, Kid Icarus™: Uprising, Star Fox 64™ 3D and The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword.

For more information about Nintendo, visit http://www.nintendo.com

jvm

Gamasutra.
DMeisterJ said:
Always a 5 week month.

It goes 4-4-5 so March/June/Sept/Dec are all 5 weeks.
Yes, except for January 2007, which had a leap week, making it 5 weeks. So that first quarter was 5-4-5.

I recall thinking that January 2012 will probably be the next such leap week, but I'm not positive. (Checks spreadsheet.) If we continue without a leap week, things don't look bad for 2012, but 2013 would be all screwed up. (For example, December 2013 would be 24 November to 28 December. Yuck.)

Pooya

Update

Nintendo

After less than two weeks on store shelves, The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D for the Nintendo 3DS™ portable entertainment system finished the month as the No. 2 best-selling video game on an individual platform, with more than 283,000 units sold, according to the independent NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States.

Nintendo sold more than 800,000 combined hardware units in June. This includes 386,000 units of the Nintendo DS™ family of systems, 273,000 Wii™ systems and 143,000 Nintendo 3DS systems. Each product line saw double-digit growth over the previous month, and the lifetime U.S. installed base for the Wii system crossed 36 million units.
Five of the top 10 and 13 of the top 25 best-selling individual software titles play on Nintendo platforms.

This holiday season, Nintendo will offer something for everyone with fan-favorite titles including Super Mario™, Mario Kart™, Kid Icarus™: Uprising, Star Fox 64™ 3D and The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword.

For more information about Nintendo, visit http://www.nintendo.com.

Seda

Nintendo PR?

For more information about Nintendo, visit http://www.nintendo.com.

From NintendoEverything

Banned
Very surprised with the small PS3 numbers. Sony had a ton of deals this month. Target had $60 Gift card. Amazon also had a $60 gift card. Best Buy had $100 Gift Card.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
DMeisterJ said:
Oh, so the 360 sales with W7 PCs are counted?

Explains the bump.
Yeah, cause I could see Microsoft doing well, but over 500k in the summer with no major releases and regular, 2-300kish numbers the previous month? I raised an eyebrow.

TheOddOne

Nintendo PR:

CadetMahoney said:
Cookin' mama will save the 3DS/

With all the money they have they can wait it out for sales to decline Wii->WiiU style, or release a successor before Sony and with maximum specs, 1080p, 60fps da works.

Thing is which way is the right way? Doesn't look good for Sony, doesn't look good at all.
It has never been looking good for you guys since.........2006. Its getting a little old yeah?

dvolovets

Interesting that Nintendo's PR says that Zelda is the #2 game. Are they not combining the SKUs for the other games? Sounds like a pretty bad month overall, then...

TheOddOne said:
I wonder how much effect the E3 showing had on sales.

Absolutely none, like always. None of the showstoppers from E3 comes out before the fall anyway, and normal consumers don't buy consoles for "potential" and hype.

It's probably the free Xbox's with Windows 7 PCs. Plus it is weird that this would be because of Kinect when I don't see any Kinect games in the top 10.

Kinect comes with a game. Plus, Dance Central and Kinect Sports have to consistently be in the top 20 if they've both sold over 2.5 million copies.

Kusagari said:
I expect both Vita and 3DS to combine for the lowest generation of handheld sales ever. Welcome our new mobile overlords people.

The first year will indeed be brutal, but I think Nintendo can still salvage their situation with a price cut and a few choice pieces of software. Sony has the opposite problem. The Vita launch will outpace the 3DS launch because of stronger software out of the gate, the PSP actually did pretty well right off the bat. Sony has to try a lot harder to keep it afloat after the first two years.

dvolovets said:
Interesting that Nintendo's PR says that Zelda is the #2 game. Are they not combining the SKUs for the other games? Sounds like a pretty bad month overall, then...

Individual SKUS, it's probably

Infamous 2 > Zelda OOT > 360 LA Noire > 360 Duke Nukem > PS3 LA Noire > PS3 Duke Nukem

Effect

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Mario 3DS should be big.

Not sure on that at all. Camera issues seem to be present in the game from what I recall reading and hearing. Then there is the situation with 2D Mario games being more successful. Also I don't expect this game out by holiday anyway. Mario Kart yes but not Mario 3DS, especially if it has camera and/or control issues. Then there is the chance that Kid Icarus could be pushed back. That seems to have control issues as well. Pit's leg movement bothers the hell out of me to be honest. To the point that I'm not sure I can buy the game do to that because I'll be looking at it constantly. It doesn't seem to have improved either.

Nintendo's got problems and the price of the 3DS isn't the major one. Software. Third party software but also their own. Either NCL needs to give NoA a swift kick in the ass. NoA has been horrible in pushing Nintendo products. It's really like they have no clue how to do it at all. If that is the case then they have no purpose other then game disc creation and shipping them to retailers. They don't even localize anymore. That new building of theirs is a complete waste it seems.

If Sony comes strong out of the gate with the Vita and manages to have a decent software line up in terms of retail and downloadable I hope Nintendo is able to respond. I have doubts they will though. I don't think they are prepared for that situation.

BurntPork

Banned
So, what do you guys think the chances are that Nintendo will cut the 3DS's price in October as a last-ditch effort? 3DS is quickly approaching the point where Nintendo will be forced to discontinue it, so they MUST do something soon. It's a flop.

UberTag

Nintendo PR statements always sound more optimistic when they're struggling than Sony's do.
Months of desperation surrounding the "PlayStation system family" did not present them in a strong light.

dvolovets

BurntPork said:
So, what do you guys think the chances are that Nintendo will cut the 3DS's price in October as a last-ditch effort? 3DS is quickly approaching the point where Nintendo will be forced to discontinue it, so they MUST do something soon. It's a flop.
I think this takes the cake for the absolute worst exaggeration in this thread. Didn't the original DS put up similar numbers initially?

Cruzader

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Vita is going to have an even harder time, since its not going to have first party Nintendo software.
The 3DS is off to a weak start, but if Nintendo manages to a.)get some damn games out and b.)drop the price to $180-200 by next summer it could still pull some decent numbers.
So you are saying consoles or handhelds in this case, can't survive without Nintendo software? Guess MS should give up, oh wait.

Super impressive 360 sales. MS held their ground strong for the first 5 years and now for the next 5, I can see them beating PS3 and yes WiiU hardware to come, easily. Thing is unstoppable at this point.

TheNatural said:
It is the price. The same reason PSP bombed and DS did well. Wii is a dead console at the end of the it's lifespan, you can't compare dropping the price of a console that's been out almost 5 years to a an overpriced handheld. No one wants to put down $250, and essentially $300 plus dollars with tax to buy a handheld game system and a game. Sorry, people don't want that. Vita is going to do the same thing.

The problem with Wii is not being at the end of its life span, its lack of software. PSP released before Wii, but in Japan it just started to take the throne this year.

The point those who expect 3DS to have a price drop make, is that it is an overpriced handheld. I believe it is actually Vita which is selling at marginal profitability, and nintendo does't operate based on that.

Super impressive 360 sales. MS held their ground strong for the first 5 years and now for the next 5, I can see them beating PS3 and yes WiiU hardware to come, easily. Thing is unstoppable at this point.
They need to keep regularly selling this much more than Wii (250K), and it will take them 3 years to only reach Wii numbers, in US.

gerg

BurntPork said:

lol

The 3DS would have to see some much more terrible sales yet before Nintendo would be "forced" to discontinue it.

BurntPork said:

lol. wut?

It's been slow but they are nowhere near abandoning the entire platform.

DR2K

Banned
border said:
Those 3DS sales have got to be horrible news for the Playstation Vita. If Nintendo can't make a $250 handheld work, Sony has no shot at all.

Sony already made a $250 portable work, in 2004.

NateDrake

BurntPork said:
Don't you troll enough in Wii U threads? It isn't performing that poorly so stop making up extreme exaggerations.

Top Bottom