• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2011 Sales Results [Update5: Most HW in, Infamous 2]

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I'd be pretty surprised if this counts the Windows 7 laptop promotion. If only 500k $700 laptops were sold all month MS is in serious trouble (they have sold 100m Windows 7 licenses since January).

NPD doesn't count any other bundled products, so I don't see why this would count.

Satchel

Banned
outunderthestars said:
MS won't get to have back to school free 360 promotions forever....

Once again, FREE XBOX 360's with laptop purchase.

I've looked through the thread, and can't see where that's been confirmed. Because if that WERE the case, wouldn't that makle Nintendo's figures around the globe even MORE amazing given they never give away consoles?

Conversely that would mean PS3 figures are far less given they give away shitloads with Bravias.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Cruzader said:
So you are saying consoles or handhelds in this case, can't survive without Nintendo software? Guess MS should give up, oh wait.

Super impressive 360 sales. MS held their ground strong for the first 5 years and now for the next 5, I can see them beating PS3 and yes WiiU hardware to come, easily. Thing is unstoppable at this point.
What I am saying is that non-Nintendo non-Casual software tends not to do so well on handhelds, at least by modern standards of "doing well". How many hardcore franchises sold millions on the PSP (or DS for that matter)? Monster Hunter and...?

A platform does not become a market leader on the back of games that sell 100-300k

Wizman23

Banned
The problem with the 3DS and soon to be Vita is the iPhone, iPad and all of their competitors. The idevices are only going to get stronger and more powerful each year as well.

TheNatural

My Member!
BurntPork said:
So, what do you guys think the chances are that Nintendo will cut the 3DS's price in October as a last-ditch effort? 3DS is quickly approaching the point where Nintendo will be forced to discontinue it, so they MUST do something soon. It's a flop.

Are you trolling to be stupid or what? A last ditch effort not to discontinue it? Did you not notice the part where the original DS is still selling like crazy?

It's simple: it's the PRICE. Whenever it gets sub $200 sales will take off, people are still buying DS systems so it's not the system itself.

And besides, lost in all this is, they're probably still making a premium on the 3DS. How much do they actually cost to make? They're probably making a good $100 per system sold. Even if it's a subpar amount, they're still making bank. It's not like they're losing money on this.

user_nat said:
I'd be pretty surprised if this counts the Windows 7 laptop promotion. If only 500k $700 laptops were sold all month MS is in serious trouble.

NPD doesn't count any other bundled products, so I don't see why this would count.

It was $700 and up. I bought a $1,400 Samsung Laptop and got my free Xbox with it. :D

Also, your post makes no sense.

user_nat said:
I'd be pretty surprised if this counts the Windows 7 laptop promotion. If only 500k $700 laptops were sold all month MS is in serious trouble.

I don't think it was considered as a bundle. More like two separate purchases with discounts applied to each item.

gerg

airmangataosenai said:
Holy shit @ 3DS barely clearing 100k with both Zelda and a 5 week month of tracking.

It seems that weekly sales are stable. I don't foresee them dropping too much (especially not below 100,000 units) in July.

Truth101

Banned
Nirolak, I'm pretty sure it isn't including the 3DS in DS family sales. Just the regular DSlite/DSi/DSiXL.

I'm actually 100% positive it isn't otherwise they could not have sold more than 800k systems total.

Please correct the OP.

Scum

Nintendo PR said:
July 14, 2011
Nintendo News
Zelda Finishes No. 2 After Only 11 Days on the Market

After less than two weeks on store shelves, The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D for the Nintendo 3DS™ portable entertainment system finished the month as the No. 2 best-selling video game on an individual platform, with more than 283,000 units sold, according to the independent NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States.

Other highlights from the month include:

Nintendo sold more than 800,000 combined hardware units in June. This includes 386,000 units of the Nintendo DS™ family of systems, 273,000 Wii™ systems and 143,000 Nintendo 3DS systems. Each product line saw double-digit growth over the previous month, and the lifetime U.S. installed base for the Wii system crossed 36 million units.

Five of the top 10 and 13 of the top 25 best-selling individual software titles play on Nintendo platforms.

This holiday season, Nintendo will offer something for everyone with fan-favorite titles including Super Mario™, Mario Kart™, Kid Icarus™: Uprising, Star Fox 64™ 3D and The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword.

For more information about Nintendo, visit http://www.nintendo.com
There's one of the 3DS' main "problem", right there...

Seda

Nintendo says "5 of the top ten....best-selling individual software titles play on Nintendo platforms"

This sounds quite 'spun'. It's not as though there were 5 Wii/DS games in the top ten. For example, they could count Black Ops as a game that plays on Nintendo platform, even though the wii version was not in the top ten.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Lonely1 said:
What? NPDis counting the Free 360 with W7 PC? SMH.

I'm wondering how they did that though (if they did that)? Did anyone do the deal? Did BB or whomever just scan the system after you bought a W7 PC? How did that work?

airmangataosenai said:
Holy shit @ 3DS barely clearing 100k with both Zelda and a 5 week month of tracking. This is getting pretty dire, July is going to be a massacre.

They just need compelling content. Something that appeals to a wide audience.

Effect

walking fiend said:
The problem with Wii is not being at the end of its life span, its lack of software. PSP released before Wii, but in Japan it just started to take the throne this year.

The point those who expect 3DS to have a price drop make, is that it is an overpriced handheld. I believe it is actually Vita which is selling at marginal profitability, and nintendo does't operate based on that.

They need to keep regularly selling this much more than Wii (250K), and it will take them 3 years to only reach Wii numbers, in US.

It's overpriced aspect (I have one but didn't pay the full $250 for it) stands out even more compared to the Vita at it's price point. Software is important yes but looking at device to device it doesn't look good for Nintendo. The two will be compared that way. While more software is needed I do think Nintendo has to drop the price before the Vita comes out and not wait until then. Then drop major games when the Vita itself hits. Killing the original DS at the same time as the price drop would be good as well.

Jokeropia

Wii is doing fine and DS really well, so the doom and gloom seems a bit misguided.
Averon said:
Did we ever think Nintendo would use Sony level spin in their PR? Nintendo DS family. HAHA
I think you misunderstand. The "DS family" is the DSLite, DSi and DSiXL, and they're always counted together. If Nintendo had counted 3DS in there as well you would've had a point.

Effect said:
Not sure on that at all. Camera issues seem to be present in the game from what I recall reading and hearing. Then there is the situation with 2D Mario games being more successful. Also I don't expect this game out by holiday anyway. Mario Kart yes but not Mario 3DS, especially if it has camera and/or control issues. Then there is the chance that Kid Icarus could be pushed back. That seems to have control issues as well. Pit's leg movement bothers the hell out of me to be honest. To the point that I'm not sure I can buy the game do to that because I'll be looking at it constantly. It doesn't seem to have improved either.

Nintendo's got problems and the price of the 3DS isn't the major one. Software. Third party software but also their own. Either NCL needs to give NoA a swift kick in the ass. NoA has been horrible in pushing Nintendo products. It's really like they have no clue how to do it at all. If that is the case then they have no purpose other then game disc creation and shipping them to retailers. They don't even localize anymore. That new building of theirs is a complete waste it seems.

If Sony comes strong out of the gate with the Vita and manages to have a decent software line up in terms of retail and downloadable I hope Nintendo is able to respond. I have doubts they will though. I don't think they are prepared for that situation.

Mario 3DS won't launch with issues, I have faith in that team. Besides, even 3D Mario sells 10m+

DMeisterJ said:
I'm wondering how they did that though (if they did that)? Did anyone do the deal? Did BB or whomever just scan the system after you bought a W7 PC? How did that work?

retailers took $200 off the laptop, then sold the 360 at full price. Amazon offers an automatic discount when you eventually buy the 360.

Karma said:
Very surprised with the small PS3 numbers. Sony had a ton of deals this month. Target had $60 Gift card. Amazon also had a $60 gift card. Best Buy had $100 Gift Card.
I don't see the PS3 numbers yet, so won't comment on Sony's performance just yet/

Show me correlation to PSP sales slowing because of the iphone.
joke post?

anyhow, the problem with PSP was not hardware or installed based in the first place, it has been software.

I don't see the PS3 numbers yet, so won't comment on Sony's performance just yet/
Wii + PS3 sold 52% of the market, around 510K; Wii had a price drop recently, so it is quite safe to assume ps3~200K.
edit: seemingly PS3~275

gerg

Truth101 said:
Nirolak, I'm pretty sure it isn't including the 3DS in DS family sales. Just the regular DSlite/DSi/DSiXL

Yeah. If Nintendo included 3DS sales in the DS family sales then the "over 800,000 units of Nintendo systems sold this month" line would be wrong.

george_us

jjasper said:
Except the PSP didn't bomb its first year. The price isn't what held it back. It was selling 200K plus a month I think.

Edit: Quick google search of NPD June 2005 gives you this

PSP: 294,000
Yeah I don't get with this revisionist history is coming from. It looked like PSP was going to mop the floor with the DS until Nintendogs + DS Lite shifted it into overdrive while Sony decided software droughts were the best thing.

BurntPork

Banned
dvolovets said:
I think this takes the cake for the absolute worst exaggeration in this thread. Didn't the original DS put up similar numbers initially?
The market is much bigger than it was 6 years ago. In reality, in comparison to how the market is now, the 3DS would have to be selling twice what it is now to be comparable to the DS in 2005. Add in the DS's much stronger launch window sales, and it's clear that it's a flop of epic proportions. Again looking at the market proportionally, it's Virtual Boy 2. It's at the point that I changed my mind about buying it since it'll probably be on clearance by this time next year. Nintendo has lost it.

Truth101

Banned
Truth101 said:
Nirolak, I'm pretty sure it isn't including the 3DS in DS family sales. Just the regular DSlite/DSi/DSiXL.

I'm actually 100% positive it isn't otherwise they could not have sold more than 800k systems total.

Please correct the OP.

Edit::

Thank you.

FreeMufasa

Seda said:
whatwillsave3DS.png

lol does anyone else remember the PS3 vs GBA ones?

sangreal said:
Confirmed by whom? NPD? What is the average sale price this month?

Someone posted in this thread saying that when he bought a laptop at Best buy they took $200 off of the laptop then sold the 360 at full price.

The systems are being given to people at the store, not by redeeming some voucher and having it shipped out...

larvi

user_nat said:
I'd be pretty surprised if this counts the Windows 7 laptop promotion. If only 500k $700 laptops were sold all month MS is in serious trouble (they have sold 100m Windows 7 licenses since January).

There were only 3 vendors where the purchases quailified for the promotion, Best Buy, Dell and HP. And it had to be a $700 and up purchase and even then Dell and HP limited it to only specific models. And you had to purchase it with a valid student ID. So this was a very small subset of the laptops purchased in the month.

BurntPork said:
The market is much bigger than it was 6 years ago. In reality, in comparison to how the market is now, the 3DS would have to be selling twice what it is now to be comparable to the DS in 2005. Add in the DS's much stronger launch window sales, and it's clear that it's a flop of epic proportions. Again looking at the market proportionally, it's Virtual Boy 2. It's at the point that I changed my mind about buying it since it'll probably be on clearance by this time next year. Nintendo has lost it.

What? The market is shrinking. In case you haven't Noticed Apple released a couple of devices that seem to be taking up alot of people's time and money...

Top Bottom