• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaddenNFL64

EhrgeizVII said:
It's hard to explain. I've played WoW for 6 years and the animations in that game look so natural, they don't glitch at all. Here it doesn't seems the case. Probably because of the auto-facing and the cool-looking light saber duels those probably should provide. It just doesn't look smooth and natural to me.

That's the cool part to me. The actual dodges & parries are awesome. In WoW, wasn't it wackamole? looks like it to me. Only MMO I played was FFXI, which TOR looks leagues better in just giving the combat style & connection,

(Though I think the tp system in FFXI was great :). I used to do dark & light linked tp combos with my Monk & my buds Samurai for massive damage!)

edit: unless you're talking about the fluidity of the animations, that I get as offputting. The dude is using fraps in a beta build, which is probably adding chop. Check the videos out from E3, those look smoother.

Emitan

Anoregon said:
At the end of that post, the writer mentions Bounty Hunters also being healers. Is that a recent change or is he mistaken? All the official information I can find still shows them as tank(powertech)/dps(merc).
No, they have a healing tree. It should be on the official AC page.

MaddenNFL64 said:
That's the cool part to me. The actual dodges & parries are awesome. In WoW, wasn't it wackamole? looks like it to me. Only MMO I played was FFXI, which TOR looks leagues better in just giving the combat style & connection,

(Though I think the tp system in FFXI was great :). I used to do dark & light linked tp combos with my Monk & my buds Samurai for massive damage!)

The one reason wow comes off smooth is that animations play out fully, they don't attempt any form of animation synch as you use simple canned animations. With TOR you have animations being cut off or transitioning to a synched combat animation which while it looks cool, it can be odd looking the way you will sometimes see a character going from one move into the synched animation.

I wouldn't compare it to WAR though animation wise, the problem with that game was that all responses had a noticeable lag to it from the moment you inputted it. They fixed that a bit later on but it still always felt sluggish compared to the more responsive WoW.

Anoregon said:
At the end of that post, the writer mentions Bounty Hunters also being healers. Is that a recent change or is he mistaken? All the official information I can find still shows them as tank(powertech)/dps(merc).

Most of the classes have healing option (6 of the 8), it's just not that all really will be optimal pure healer. They kept in the holy trinity in the game of tank/dps/healer, but the classes have available to them often a mix of each so many for example can actually heal in some form.

Blackface

Banned
Anoregon said:

Each Advanced Class has multiple tree's. An Advanced class it not like being a "spec" in WOW. It's like being an entire class in WoW.

Blackface

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
The one reason wow comes off smooth is that animations play out fully, they don't attempt any form of animation synch as you use simple canned animations. With TOR you have animations being cut off or transitioning to a synched combat animation which while it looks cool, it can be odd looking the way you will sometimes see a character going from one move into the synched animation.

I wouldn't compare it to WAR though animation wise, the problem with that game was that all responses had a noticeable lag to it from the moment you inputted it. They fixed that a bit later on but it still always felt sluggish compared to the more responsive WoW.

Most of the classes have healing option (6 of the 8), it's just not that all really will be optimal pure healer. They kept in the holy trinity in the game of tank/dps/healer, but the classes have available to them often a mix of each so many for example can actually heal in some form.

I have never noticed any of my animations being cut off. One of the only animation problems I have even seen in terms of combat, is sometimes you will do your "killing blow" animation while the enemy is already dead on the floor. Thats about it.

Everytime you pary or block, you do the animation for it. It doesn't do that animation unless you are parrying. You parry way more in SWTOR then you do in any other MMO I have ever played. So as a melee, it's harder to kill another melee, then it is to kill a ranged class.

Blackface said:
I have never noticed any of my animations being cut off. One of the only animation problems I have even seen in terms of combat, is sometimes you will do your "killing blow" animation while the enemy is already dead on the floor. Thats about it.

Everytime you pary or block, you do the animation for it. It doesn't do that animation unless you are parrying. You parry way more in SWTOR then you do in any other MMO I have ever played. So as a melee, it's harder to kill another melee, then it is to kill a ranged class.

Cut off perhaps is a bad word to say for it, but in videos sometimes you will see one animation being performed and suddenly the character kind of jumps into the full animation or a synched combat sequence, and the transition from one to the other can at times look a bit jarring.

I'm sick of waiting for this game, seriously. All these updates do is piss me off, I'm not even excited anymore. And I can't stop reading/watching them...........

MaddenNFL64 said:
Damn, this was a bitch to find.

Here, check this out. Fluid, baby ;) (but a bit too gung ho).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORsqpcY9dFA

Oh wow, this seriously looks nothing like the leaked beta footage. The E3 version looks to be a newer build. I also found these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tUlaLP1vkM - Sith Marauder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4uc9ZaxFGw - Sith Assassin (OMG)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZMN4Jcv7qI - Bounty Hunter / Mercenary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSk3uixuHX4 - Imperial Agent

These animations indeed look smooth. =)

EhrgeizVII said:
Oh wow, this seriously looks nothing like the leaked beta footage. The E3 version looks to be a newer build. I also found these:

The animation in their class preview videos on their site has been pretty awful at times too, with very still look to them. The actual gameplay ones from E3 look a ton better and fluid overall.

MaddenNFL64

Assassin tanking talent tree is leaked (cake). It's not like a ninja in FFXI as far as I can tell. Not a "blink tank", it's mitigation, just does it different than the Guardian/Juggernaut.

Gonna post it now. Here we go.

Sith Inquisitor / Assassin Darkness Talent Tree

TIER 1

Thrashing Blades 1/2

Increases the damage dealt by Thrash, Lacerate and Voltaic Slash by 3%

Lightning Reflexes 1/2

Whenever you successfully parry or deflect an attack you recover 1% of your total force. This effect cannot occur more than once a second. In addition, your melee and ranged defence is increased by 2%

Charge Mastery 1/3

Improves the effect of your sabre charges why they’re still active.

Lightning Charge: Increases your crit chance by 1%

Dark Charge: Internal and elemental resistance increased by 3%

Surging Charge: Your attacks ignore 3% of your target’s armour.

TIER 2

Shroud of Darkness 1/3

Increases your total Endurance and Willpower by 1/2%

Lightning Recovery 1/2

Reduces the cooldown of Deflection by 15/30sec, Force Speed by 2.5/5sec and Force Shroud by 7.5/15sec.

Swelling Shadows 1/2

Increases the chance your Dark Charge applies its effect by 2/4%

Electric Execution 1/3

Increases the damage dealt by your saber charges by 3/6/9%

TIER 3

Disjunction 1/1

Activating Force Speed now removes all movement impairing effects, and your Force Shroud now lasts 2sec longer. In addition, using Cloud Mind while Dark Charge is active will no longer reduce threat, instead taunting all enemies within 15m and forcing them to attack you for 6sec.

Induction 1/1

Thrash and Lacerate have a 50% chance to reset the cooldown on Shock and make your next Shock a critical hit.

Dark Ward 1/1

Surrounds you in a Dark Ward with 8 charges that increases your shield chance by 15% for xsecs. Each time you successfully shield, the Dark Ward loses 1 charge. Does not break stealth.

Shadow Basking 1/2

Increases all healing done and received by 3/6%

TIER 4

Hollow 1/2

Increases your shield absorption by 2%. In addition, when you activate Overcharge Saber while Dark Charge is active, you instantly heal for 5% of your total health.

Mounting Darkness 1/3

Increases the damage dealt by Dark Charge Discharge by 10%, and reduces the force cost of Shock by 2.

TIER 5

Premonition 1/2

Increases your stealth detection level by 1 and defence by 2%

Spike 1/1

Force 10

cd 30sec

Range 4m

Spikes the target upon an overloaded saber, dealing 188 energy damage and knocking the target down for X seconds. Requires a double-bladed lightsaber.

Nerve Wracking 1/3 (requires Spike 1/1)

Targets knocked down by your Spike take 3% more damage from all sources.

TIER 6
Electrify 1/1

Increases the threat and damage dealt by Shock by 15%

Eye of the Storm 1/1

Whirlwind no longer breaks on damage, but while the effect persists, the target takes 75% less damage from all sources.

Blood of Sith 1/3

Increases the rate at which your force regenerates by 10%

TIER 7
Wither 1/1 (requires Spike in Tier 5)

Force 40

Instant

CD 7.5sec

Range 15m

Causes up to 5 targets to wither under the weight of the force, dealing 75 kinetic damage and decreasing the damage all targets deal by 5%. This ability generates a high amount of threat. Lasts Xsecs.

Force shields, shrouds, charges. Sounds cool :) (always DPS though, forever!)

Samus4145

I just realized that the site never got my updated email address and it still had my old address that doesn't exist anymore. Anyway to check through the site if I got into the Beta?

Would like to get into this beta. I signed up way back when if I remember correctly. They're notifying people who get invited by email right?

I put a lot of time into WoW over the years but I'm not longer playing and I'm very interested in other MMO's. DC Universe Online almost got me to bite. Have been interested in this since it was announced. I'm not what I'd call a Star Wars fan, but I like the universe.

Emitan

Samus4145 said:
I just realized that the site never got my updated email address and it still had my old address that doesn't exist anymore. Anyway to check through the site if I got into the Beta?
You could always change your email address and send a support ticket to ask if you're in the beta.

Bumhead

Banned
This game looks insane. As a new PC gamer and a big Star Wars fan I've got to say this looks fantastic. I'm definitely interested.

I've never played an MMO before though. Would this be a sensible place to start when it eventually launches? Is it going to require a monthly fee?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Mat C said:
This game looks insane. As a new PC gamer and a big Star Wars fan I've got to say this looks fantastic. I'm definitely interested.

I've never played an MMO before though. Would this be a sensible place to start when it eventually launches? Is it going to require a monthly fee?
You should probably start with a free World of Warcraft trial to see if the genre is a good fit for you. There will be a monthly fee for SWTOR.

Emitan

Mat C said:

There's a monthly fee. It seems like a great place to start to me. The only MMO I've really played is Guild Wars, which is hardly an MMO so I'm pretty new.

oneils

EhrgeizVII said:

Holy crap. It sure has come a long way. Those combat scenes look great.

Sigfodr

Billychu said:
Great, more Sith stuff. I wish some Smugglers would smuggle some info about their class.
It looks like most of the info leaking from the beta is Sith and Jedi related, which just reinforces the idea that most people will play Force users, Empire specifically. I'm with you though, can't wait to get some smuggler info.

Allard

Sigfodr said:
It looks like most of the info leaking from the beta is Sith and Jedi related, which just reinforces the idea that most people will play Force users, Empire specifically. I'm with you though, can't wait to get some smuggler info.

I think its more likely that a lot of people are playing sith and the empire because they intend to play something different in the final game. I know if I was a tester that is what I'd be doing; testing on sith and then doing republic at launch so that it remains a fresh experience. Did the same thing in WoW, did Horde in beta and alliance at launch XD.

Sigfodr said:

4 of the 8 classes are force users. It's obvious that they are going to be the most played as they are the less "unique" compared to the other 4 classes.

Sigfodr

Billychu said:
At least it means we'll be in demand.
Exactly.

Allard said:
I think its more likely that a lot of people are playing sith and the empire because they intend to play something different in the final game. I know if I was a tester that is what I'd be doing; testing on sith and then doing republic at launch so that it remains a fresh experience. Did the same thing in WoW, did Horde in beta and alliance at launch XD.
I doubt most people in the beta - and especially those leaking like a Mexican space shuttle - would act with that much forethought.

Emitan

For Advanced Classes are you able to distribute points between all three tress or do you have to decide between healing and damage for a Scoundrel?

Giolon

BattleMonkey said:
4 of the 8 classes are force users. It's obvious that they are going to be the most played as they are the less "unique" compared to the other 4 classes.
Except that 4 of the 8 classes are also non-Force users. Every class is unique regardless of Force ability.

More important to look at is that of the 4 Force user classes, two of them have Tank specs, which should help with the general tank shortages found in WoW. However, only one of them has a healing spec, so healing shortages may be more of the norm just based on player preference for Force-based characters.

Of course 2 of the 4 non-Force users can be Healers, and only 1 of them can be a Tank so overall the healer/tank balance is even.

billychu said:
For Advanced Classes are you able to distribute points between all three tress or do you have to decide between healing and damage for a Scoundrel?
Generally speaking, this has always been a terrible way to build your character in WoW (in fact it's not even allowed anymore). Spec'ing down to the bottom of your tree has always been the most effective way to build your character (with a few exceptions).

LowParry

The idea of a Bounty Hunter being a tank class intrigues me. I wish we could get some impressions on them more often than force users.

Morn

Banned
Giolon said:
Except that 4 of the 8 classes are also non-Force users. Every class is unique regardless of Force ability.

Unique in that faction. But they're just mirrored on the other faction. Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior, Jedi Sentinel/Sith Inqusitor, Smuggler/Imperial Agent, Trooper/Bounty Hunter.

Sigfodr

Billychu said:
The former from what I read a while ago. It puts you at a severe disadvantage, since you lose access to the top end. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Emitan

Oh. Well then. Never mind. That totally ruining your character makes sense.

EDIT: Unless they give you extra points, which I don't think makes a lot of sense.

Giolon

methane47 said:
Wow I was pumped for this game but those vids posted above....Sadly do nothing for me... Combat looks old , stiff and boring.

I thought the same thing before I got into the beta. Watching a video is one thing. When pushing the buttons yourself, you may find it to be a different experience.

gatti-man

methane47 said:
Wow I was pumped for this game but those vids posted above....Sadly do nothing for me... Combat looks old , stiff and boring.
Combat is going to be dice roll. Beyond that what really were you expecting? It looks far better than wow in my opinion.

Blackface

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Cut off perhaps is a bad word to say for it, but in videos sometimes you will see one animation being performed and suddenly the character kind of jumps into the full animation or a synched combat sequence, and the transition from one to the other can at times look a bit jarring.

The beta servers are laggy as a mother fucker. it effects how combat works and looks to a HUGEEEEEEEEEE degree. When I first got into beta, everything felt off with combat. Just like you are saying. However, when I went to a specific planet, during non-peak times, it was so fluid and amazing I was sold. Unfortunately, most of the time on the beta there is going to be bad server latency/lag. That said, when it's working well, it's the most fluid and great looking combat of it's type, so far in an MMO. And it should be considering the huge time they put into it.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
If you don't have a beta invite, this is the worst thread on GAF. Coming in here is agony yet I still do it. If this game doesn't come out this year, I will murder every person on Bioware's PR team that insisted it would.

Emitan

Spire said:
If you don't have a beta invite, this is the worst thread on GAF. Coming in here is agony yet I still do it. If this game doesn't come out this year, I will murder every person on Bioware's PR team that insisted it would.
I hate this thread! Why can't I stop refreshing it?!

LowParry

Spire said:

I'm pretty sure it will be out this year. When, who knows. Though my guess is end of Sept/Oct.

CcrooK said:
So word on the street is, new build.

Nothing mentioned on the beta forums, but I assume they are handling the beta in blocks. Meaning that everyone I've been playing with will have their 30 days cut off at the same time (I believe it's the 24th).

Therefore its fairly safe to assume that new invites will head out after then, along with a new build for the new folks - the one we're playing is already a month old, but it's patched every week (just a shame that the launcher is completely shit, and nearly every time there is a patch, it breaks the install for alot of people).

Billychu said:
I hate this thread! Why can't I stop refreshing it?!

If you're on Chrome, I suggest this glorious extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/blbfgndoggabppkoehpipfadjelcofmp

Retrofluxed

CcrooK said:
See you at launch!

I'm sure that is tongue in cheek, but please don't bring over the most annoying phrase from the hellpit that is the official forums.

Edit:
HotHamWater said:
Nothing mentioned on the beta forums, but I assume they are handling the beta in blocks. Meaning that everyone I've been playing with will have their 30 days cut off at the same time (I believe it's the 24th).

So this is fake?
newclient.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom