• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Rumor: Xbox 720 = 2013 Release, Devs Have Target Specs For Both PS4/720

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There's more at the link, and it's a good article, so I suggest checking it out.

First, the rumor, which Eurogamer has a solid track record with:

Eurogamer said:
Microsoft is rumoured to be preparing a reveal of its next Xbox at E3 2012. Eurogamer has recently had this claim backed up by a number of game industry sources.

Eurogamer has also heard a 2014 release of the next Xbox was planned by Microsoft, but this has now been brought forward to 2013 as a result of Nintendo's confirmed 2012 launch of the Wii U.

Additionally, sources have indicated to us that larger publishers and developers already have target specs of both the next Xbox and PlayStation to help them with their development.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-20-new-xbox-and-playstation-4-what-to-expect-article

Secondly, Eurogamer interviewed Crytek and Epic about what to expect from next gen consoles. I tried to only get direct developer quotes. Some of them seem pretty speculative.

Eurogamer said:
Crytek:
-Pete Hall (Crytek UK Principal Programmer)
-Mark Tully (Crytek Lead Programmer)

Epic:
-Mark Rein (Co-Founder)

...Crytek...

"It's going to depend a lot on when Sony and Microsoft decide is the right moment to announce and launch things," Crytek UK principal programmer Pete Hall tells Eurogamer, "but it does feel at the moment that the hardware we get in next generation consoles will be about the sort of level that DX11 is at - that's where it currently looks like it's going."

"The DX11 support for Crysis 2 was planned quite early on, but while it was being implemented, we were discovering things about the production methods we'd use," Mark Tully, Crytek lead programmer, adds, "If we'd done it slightly differently, we could have achieved even higher results. Those learnings will be going into future Crytek projects. The authoring processes will be able to still target the consoles, but be able to produce even higher results on DX11 than what we were able to achieve with Crysis 2.

"That in itself is exciting."

...Epic...

Earlier this year Epic released the Samaritan tech demo – a real-time video designed to provide a glimpse into what the next generation of consoles will be capable of. But is Samaritan a realistic expectation for the next-generation? Will we really see graphics on that level? Mark Rein, co-founder of Gears of War and Unreal Engine maker Epic Games, says the answer is a definite yes.

"It is already possible on PCs today albeit very high end ones," he tells Eurogamer. "Broadly-speaking tomorrow's console is today's high end PC, whose level of technology eventually trickles down to affordable PCs, set-top boxes and mobile devices as well. So it makes sense that this is the kind of thing the next generation of consoles could power. It is just a question of timing."

"Yes I think there is a feature set there that provides the ability to make clearly-discernible visual improvements over what can be done on today's consoles. Samaritan was an early attempt to demonstrate that," he says.

"As a content developer we'll get better at exploiting these features over time and, as a technology provider, we'll continue to deliver tools and technology that helps our licensees to do the same. In the mean time we've already shipped Samaritan's DX11 feature set in the latest Unreal Engine 3."

...Crytek...

"Where the PCs are now compared to what [Sony and Microsoft] are going to do, I assume will be close," Hall says. This week AMD, which is rumoured to be providing the graphics technology powering the next Xbox, said Microsoft's next home console will be so powerful it will be capable of reproducing graphics on a par with James Cameron's computer generated movie blockbuster Avatar.

Many baulked at the suggestion, but Crytek believes it may be possible on future consoles. "One of our rendering guys was looking at that article and was saying he reckons that's doable now with DX11 on PC," Hall enthuses, "I get the feeling it could happen. It could be next-gen consoles. It does feel like if we're able to keep pushing DirectX 11 into the next generation of consoles we should be able to produce some fantastic stuff with CryEngine."

While gamer tongues are wagging on the potential power of the next generation, for developers, visuals are just one facet of the next-gen battle. "It's one thing to have the graphics that look like Avatar, but you want to move everything else on a step as well," Hall says.

Tully agrees. "We always use graphics as the benchmark for what's going to be so great about the next game on this platform - but obviously you've got other aspects. In single-player you've got AI, and in multiplayer you've got, well, how do we better integrate the community into the game so it's more of a social experience? There are all these different areas you can move forward in. It's not always just about the graphics, although that is a big part of it."

While this sounds great on paper, the sheer power offered by the next-gen presents its own set of problems. "There's one thing getting the raw power to do these things," Tully says. "Another thing is taking advantage of that in a coherent way, to produce a game. That's the challenge we'll be looking to when we start working on those consoles. It's going to be really interesting to work with."

"Because [CryEngine] is aimed at both the consoles and the high-end PCs, it means we can add in new features on the high end PCs as we go along," Hall says, "and then when the console becomes available, we'll be able to actually pick a level and set it up there and things should work - although it's never 100 per cent that simple."

...Epic...

But is now the right time for the next-generation? Do developers want the next Xbox or PlayStation?

"I'd like to see it at a time when consumers are going to be ready to adopt it and jump in whole-heartedly," Rein said. "I'm not in a huge hurry for it. I'd rather wait until they can bring out hardware that can do Samaritan affordably than bring out something super high-priced and the market adopts it slowly as they wait for a price drop. Either way I'm confident we'll have great a great game engine for it thanks to the efforts we've already got underway like Samaritan."

"In terms of something aimed at running Samaritan, I don't think it would be practical to come out with a new console at that spec right now," Rein continues, "I think we're a few years away from that kind of hardware being available at a price consumers would embrace.

"Plus I think we're still getting great value out of the consoles we have today and we can continue to hone our skills with those for a few more years. If you look at Gears of War 3 you'll see that we're continuously getting better and better at making games for the consoles we have now and you simply have to look at the monthly Unreal Development Kit releases to see we're constantly delivering better and better tools and technology for this generation as well."
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-20-new-xbox-and-playstation-4-what-to-expect-article

szaromir

Banned
Speeding up launch = some hardware cuts. Not sure if I'm happy with that, but still it'll be 8 years after 360 so the leap should be big.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Everything the Crytek guy says sounds like complete speculation. I doubt he knows what hardware is going into the next Xbox or Playstation.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mr_Brit said:
Everything the Crytek guy says sounds like complete speculation. I doubt he knows what's going into the next Xbox or Playstation.
That I felt was notable as well.

Edit:

In note of this, I'll switch the title to focus on the rumor itself.

AniHawk

i know microsoft's in the comfiest position right now, but i think it's weird that they were planning for a 2014 launch if that info is true.

mr_nothin

Banned
Using DX11 as a basis for any sort of "graphics level/threshold" is pure BS. DX11 covers such a wide spectrum of graphics. Most of the games we have now dont even take advantage of DX11. Maybe they mean it in terms of using the DX11 hardware that's available today? But then again, using today's videocards in a system that wont be out until 2013 is pretty ridiculous unless it's 1 of the dual chip solutions.

"In terms of something aimed at running Samaritan, I don't think it would be practical to come out with a new console at that spec right now," Rein continues, "I think we're a few years away from that kind of hardware being available at a price consumers would embrace.

I found this part to be most interesting.

szaromir

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
Everything the Crytek guy says sounds like complete speculation. I doubt he knows what hardware is going into the next Xbox or Playstation.
Funny also a Crytek guy said Avatar-like visuals are possible on today's [high-end] DX11 hardware.

Majine

Banned
Well MS, You better open up your wallet and spend some money on some exciting exclusivites if I'm gonna buy one.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Averon said:
What is Eurogamer's track record with their rumors.
Very solid.

I'm not sure if it is flawless, but a very high percentage of their rumors are correct.

They were one of the leading sites with Vita leaks all the way back to 2009 for example, which we later found out is actually when the system really started development.

They also are usually one of the first place to report E3 line-up rumors correctly as well as studio layoffs.

[Nintex]

Averon said:
What is Eurogamer's track record with their rumors.
Since MS has quite a few studios in the UK, these rumors usually turn out to be right on the ball.

Taiser said:
MS really wants dat one year headstart over sony again.
I wouldn't be surprised if Sony launches the PS4 before MS launches the 720.

AniHawk

Taiser said:
MS really wants dat one year headstart over sony again.
i don't see sony waiting until after 2013 for a new console. looking at what their development teams are doing, everything lines up for a 2013 console launch.

I like how Mark Rein's answer to future consoles is "Unreal Engine 3 is improving. Look at the difference between the original Gears of War and Gears of War 3."

It makes me think Next Xbox will not be that big of a power jump despite AMD hyperbole.

mr_nothin

Banned
AniHawk said:
i don't see sony waiting until after 2013 for a new console. looking at what their development teams are doing, everything lines up for a 2013 console launch.
I think it's pretty telling when they didnt really have any 2012 content being showcased by their 1st party devs at E3.

FreeMufasa

Hmmm I wonder if the reason Nintendo have not sent out solid specs to devs is because they want to see how powerful the new Xbox is first. Adjust accordingly after.

Gravijah

FreeMufasa said:
Hmmm I wonder if the reason Nintendo have not sent out solid specs to devs is because they want to see how powerful the new Xbox is first. Adjust accordingly after.

Uhm, I don't think it's that easy, unless it's just stuff like increasing ram.

jgminto

This wouldn't suprise me. The consoles have had a long run and it will be great to see games not held back by the tech as much. Now I'm wondering if the current-gen motion peripherals will be compatible next gen, mainly Kinect. MS was toting a 5 year lifespan for it.

Gravijah

DennisK4 said:
About goddamn time!

So two more years of this gen?

*sigh*

You don't know the best part... the next gen consoles are going to downgrade to the horsepower of the Wii to grab that lucrative "casual" market.

knitoe

FreeMufasa said:
Nintendo probably already knows what specs are targeted X720 / PS4. More likely, the WiiU specs are low end and releasing them only would cause more backlash.

[Nintex]

mugurumakensei said:
I like how Mark Rein's answer to future consoles is "Unreal Engine 3 is improving. Look at the difference between the original Gears of War and Gears of War 3."

It makes me think Next Xbox will not be that big of a power jump despite AMD hyperbole.
It all depends on what AMD comes up with. Maybe their southern islands are super awesome maybe they're having a competition with Nvidia to see who can come up with the biggest bullshit.

Lagspike_exe said:
I think Sony is going to launch in 2013 as well. There's no way they will let Nintendo have 2 year advantage.
I could see Sony come out of the left field and announce some PS4 tidbits at TGS, launching it Q4 2012 or Q1 2013.

szaromir said:
Funny also a Crytek guy said Avatar-like visuals are possible on today's [high-end] DX11 hardware.
Crytek are known to be kings of hyperbole.

I read all these quotes as both crytek and epic saying "look at our new engine, look at it, look, look. Hey, listen : look at our engine."

And the 'avatar graphics' quote was already proven to be bollox (in that AMD never said it, but that it was a misintepretation of a misinterpretation of a shitty source).
So the crytek guy copying the quote is hilarious.

Dennis

Banned
Gravijah said:
You don't know the best part... the next gen consoles are going to downgrade to the horsepower of the Wii to grab that lucrative "casual" market.
Yeah, well then, they might as well make Kinect and Move the mandatory controls....

antonz

The fact Sony has suddenly shifted to a policy of HD remakes and upports of PSP games had me saying at E3 that it was obvious this Gen is in the twilight years.

Samaritan gets thrown around alot and I think people abuse it a bit. Samaritan could be run on current consoles right now. Would it look half as good as the demo? hell no but it could run.

Nvidia themselves who worked alongside Epic to make the demo possible has already stated running the Demo exactly as shown is going to require a generation at least of video card advancements to get it down to single GPU. As Mark Rein points out sure a console could be developed to run the demo but its certainly not going to be competitive in price etc.

[Nintex]

antonz said:
The fact Sony has suddenly shifted to a policy of HD remakes and upports of PSP games had me saying at E3 that it was obvious this Gen is in the twilight years.

Samaritan gets thrown around alot and I think people abuse it a bit. Samaritan could be run on current consoles right now. Would it look half as good as the demo? hell no but it could run.

Nvidia themselves who worked alongside Epic to make the demo possible has already stated running the Demo exactly as shown is going to require a generation at least of video card advancements to get it down to single GPU. As Mark Rein points out sure a console could be developed to run the demo but its certainly not going to be competitive in price etc.
I wonder who's going to pull the Saturn and launch an SLI/Crossfire console.

Dennis

Banned
I wonder what gimmick they will go with to counter Nintendos WiiU controller...?

Maybe they will just copy it straight out the gate rather than wait years like they did with Kinect and Move.

AniHawk

mr_nothin said:
I think it's pretty telling when they didnt really have any 2012 content being showcased by their 1st party devs at E3.
they'll probably have enough for 2012- the last guardian, sorcery (if it's not dead), ruin (if i had to guess), starhawk, sly cooper 4, and probably some titles for the vita. early 2013 leading up to ps4 launch will probably be an end-of-nintendo-console's-life style wasteland though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AniHawk said:
they'll probably have enough for 2012- the last guardian, ruin (if i had to guess), starhawk, sly cooper 4, and probably some titles for the vita. early 2013 leading up to ps4 launch will probably be an end-of-nintendo-console's-life-style wasteland though.
I imagine Guerrilla's new IP will also make it out this generation while Killzone 4 gets made for the PlayStation 4.

Dennis

Banned
Nirolak said:
I imagine Guerrilla's new IP will also make it out this generation while Killzone 4 gets made for the PlayStation 4.
Seems very reasonable.

It wouldn't be a Playstation launch without Killzone CGI!

Kabouter

I wonder what they're capable of, but even more so whether they are going to go with conventional controls or with 'you are the controller'-nonsense. My bet is it's going to be the latter.

Doubt btw that Sony will be a year late to the game this time, they won't make that mistake again.

As long as we get more resources per pixel im fine.
I say per pixel because we haven't heard about what the platform holders are aiming at for next gen going 720p or 1080p i hope we get more resources per pixel at 1080p.

AniHawk

Nirolak said:

that just seems like a really bad idea to me. i mean, it's a really bad idea to just let your system have nothing for months on end like the wii in 2008 and 2011, but a new ip usually has its best chance of finding an audience at the start of a generation.

DennisK4 said:
Seems very reasonable.

It wouldn't be a Playstation launch without Killzone CGI!

PS, PS2, PSP, Vita are all launching or have launched without Killzone CGI, unless I missed something. The real sign that it will be a playstation launch is Ridge Racer!

Gravijah

AniHawk said:
you are the touchpad.

220px-Tronguy.jpg

antonz

Kabouter said:
I wonder what they're capable of, but even more so whether they are going to go with conventional controls or with 'you are the controller'-nonsense. My bet is it's going to be the latter.

Doubt btw that Sony will be a year late to the game this time, they won't make that mistake again.
I suspect we will see Microsoft at least introduce a controller into the mix with a Kinect 2.0 thats is basically the original Kinect 1.0 before they gutted it to save money.

The Wii U Controller certainly poses an interesting problem for Sony and Microsoft.

AniHawk said:
i know microsoft's in the comfiest position right now, but i think it's weird that they were planning for a 2014 launch if that info is true.
I think they were just hoping everyone else would wait. It's like how airline pricing works, one airline raises prices and then hopes everyone matches. If nobody else matches they end up having to retreat back to before the price increase. Microsoft probably put feelers out there saying they were looking towards 2014 but the other two weren't willing to play ball.

Dennis

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:
PS, PS2, PSP, Vita are all launching or have launched without Killzone CGI, unless I missed something. The real sign that it will be a playstation launch is Ridge Racer!
I was being slightly less than completely serious.

[Nintex]

DennisK4 said:
So Nintendo are going to be stuck with a less powerful machine one year into next-gen.

Yikes!
Riccitiello was rambling again, Micro transactions and cross platform play between facebook pc handhelds consols offer more value than getting a clear view of the pores of his LA news reader due to supercharged graphics. Which is why with the connection of new media and iPads iPads Wii U's timing is perfect.

Yes he said that, more or less.

daxter01 said:
you guys think sony is going to stick with nvidia?
AMD will get them a better deal no doubt.

Top Bottom