• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 Beta : Impressions and Discussion

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ok folks time to talk about the Beta.
Ive only played 3 or 4 matches because it crashes a lot (Fix incoming) but heres what i thought so far:

Distracting motion blur while running... hell i would even remove the motion blur when walking.
While the game is not in the same GFX league as KZ2,U2,etc its still damn fun and it has a fast 'arcade' feel that i quite like.
The UI needs some polish though many of the texts are hard to read due being too tiny and on top of bright surfaces.

JStevenson said:
Before you all go crazy reporting stuff, we have a lot of known issues from our closed Friends and Family beta testers. Here's some of the big things we know about:

Issues we are fixing:
Framerate hitches that appear to be lag
-Known issue, will be patched.
Crashes at end of match (may be related to bringing up scoreboard too)
-Known issue, will be patched
Also - the beta may say your data is corrupt when you start. This is a patch item, and nothing major. No data is lost.

Stuff we are keeping an eye on, and may tweak:
-Motion-blur when running
-Various balance tweaks (aka, shield strength, leaper strength, etc)
-Level cap may be adjusted during beta
-Melee attacks from behind seeming inconsistent
-Leveling rate may be adjusted

What's next for the beta / R3?
We are currently busy working on our Day 1 Patch for Resistance 3, with many of the fixes and updates based on items you all have brought up here. We will then bring those fixes to the beta in a patch. We may also adjust the the level cap / progression at some point to allow you access to more items. This is still TBD, but we'll try to keep you updated.

Great FAQ by Massa:
Massa said:
HOW TO GET IN
Code with initial copies of SOCOM 4: August 4th
Playstation Plus subscribers from SCEE: August 10
Playstation Plus subscribers from SCEA: August 23

Sailor Stevenson is also giving out codes in this thread, so make sure you're on the list.

GAMES MODES
The beta includes Team Deathmatch & Chain Reaction game modes.
The full game will also feature Deathmatch, Breach, and Capture the Flag.

MAPS
There are two 8v8 maps available in the beta:
Seaside of Glamorgan, Wales
Trainyard in Bogota, Colombia

For the full game there will also be 2v2 and 4v4 maps.

COOP
There's none in the beta, but the full game will have online and split screen campaign coop.

V_Ben

Banned
It's a hell of a lot of fun. Like, it's really good. But yeah, the motion blur is a bit much at the moment! It seems to flood the entire screen whenever you move, it's a bit distracting. But apart from that, the game is serious fun. The weapons feel great, giving the game a unique feel in addition to being a blast to use. Grenades feel a bit under powered though.

VanWinkle

I love it. Add more gun sway while walking so it doesnt look like youre floating and fix the framerate and I'll be good. Ixhave no qualms about the motion blur. I like it.

However, I haven't played it enough to discuss much about the weapon balancing yet. Seems okay so far.

Massa

I played very little before it went down again but it's super fun. Controls are tight, game looks great and the weapons are a joy to use.

Edit: oh, and I love the motion blur.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The menu interface is really nicely designed, especially when you compare it with the red abomination Killzone 3 had; this one is much pleasant and puts you in the right mood. Oh and the music is simply amazing.

French said:
Same here.
Yeah, thought so.

Atruvius

Game is fun to play and all guns feel varied and powerful. Everything feels well balanced.

I have only played the Wales map and I think that it's better map than anything in R2. There are lots of indoor and outdoor skirmishes and you can ambush people via rooftops.

Guns look and sound good, except Bullsey which doesn't sound like bullsey at all, even less when upgraded.

I don't mind the motion blur when sprinting. It's the head bobbing that makes it so disorienting.

Grass and branches look awful. I guess it's because of the low resolution. Otherwise the game looks stunning.

Oh and lighting is sometimes a bit off. You're standing on sun lit ground but your gun still looks dark or you're standing in a darker corner of the room and your gun looks bright. Kind takes you out of the moment.

Twinduct

Really enjoying it. But one thing that is really annoying me is the lack of Objective-assist score or bonus. Played around 3 matches of chain reactor earlier (6 rounds total). For some reason, people barely cared about the objectives and just went on killing sprees (Honestly snipers, do something!). So for the first two rounds I had a score of around 2500, with like 2 kills and 5 deaths.

By the third match, people started to play the objective, which made the game waaay more fun btw, anyway the problem here is that I would get the point to 99% in our favor, get killed and within seconds someone else will capture the point, so that guy gets the 150 points and I got jack shit.

This happened to me for the whole game. Every time I would capture/ convert a point. I'll be alone or with one other guy, I would get killed and bam the point will be captured and the guy who only walked in by accident gets the points.

Twice it happened within milliseconds, where before the killcam kicks in, the point will be captuered and I'd get squat!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Can we talk about it now? I've been in the beta for a couple of weeks but I've been avoiding R3 threads so I don't get in trouble for saying something that may break the NDA.

Anyone else seem to die way too fast? I just get wasted every time. also it seems like people take a lot of bullets to die. I put a full clip into one dude with the bullseye and he didnt die. :/ maybe it just needs some balancing fixes or something.

People lagging, a lot. Like, frozen for a good 5 seconds, then you see yourself dead.

Some people i try to kill with a grenade right on their feet survive it. Some people take 5-6 hits to die, others two clips.

And some small instant freezing problem that totally makes me die.

And this is something that surprises me from Insomniac.

Twinduct

RoboPlato said:
Can we talk about it now? I've been in the beta for a couple of weeks but I've been avoiding R3 threads so I don't get in trouble for saying something that may break the NDA.

Pretty sure it's encouraged now :p
jstevenson is the CM and I think loudninja works at insomniac (he suggested/ requested the thread)

French

Banned
For people who are high level : can we customize how our character looks like in the first two Resistance, or are we limited to different skins ?

I think the tighter FOV when sprinting is worse than the blur. It's really disorienting, and as someone who rarely if ever feels sick playing games, it was bad enough that it prevented me from sprinting.

wait, can we post impressions? if yes, I'll add that I like it.

Twinduct

Loudninja said:
Haha I dont work at IG,I suggest ti because we can have one place where they can see the impressions and feedback.

Heh, ok sorry about that, scratch that then! :p
Robo, don't take my advice heh, have not seen any official confirmation that you are allowed to talk about the game.

However the beta forum is open to public and alot of people have talked about the game in threads

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Well the Beta forum is public so i guess its cool to talk about.
Can we talk about it JS? (Sorry if we cant V_V¡)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Twinduct said:
Pretty sure it's encouraged now :p
jstevenson is the CM and I think loudninja works at insomniac (he suggested/ requested the thread)
JS was kind enough to send me a code so I didn't want to get on his bad side. I'll post up some detailed impressions later (short version: I fucking love it). Anyone that wants to add me on PSN, please do. I'd love to play some R3 with gaffers. Played a few games with loudninja and it was a blast. We need to get a whole GAF party going.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I hope the report function works, played a match yesterday and a dude asked if i wanted to go rape babies.

yeah...

Thrakier

GFX are pretty bad, gameplay is ok and most of the time it's fun. Lowres and lighting are a huge disappointment. That's it, I guess.

VanWinkle

Meisadragon said:
The menu interface is really nicely designed, especially when you compare it with the red abomination Killzone 3 had; this one is much pleasant and puts you in the right mood. Oh and the music is simply amazing.

Forgot to mention that. I love the menu, along with the music. So nice and refreshing looking.

French said:
For people who are high level : can we customize how our character looks like in the first two Resistance, or are we limited to different skins ?

I'm not too high level but it's looking like it's skins only unfortunately. I liked the little customizations you could do to the characters in the previous games too. It doesn't bother me now, but time will tell.

LQX

I'm loving it so far and now have high hopes for the game in general. Strangely, it sort of reminds me old school Medal of Honor in the look and feel or at least that barn map. Just kind of refreshing its just straight team death match with no extra shit like an alien ships hovering over the map.

Feels fluid looks great also. 60fps? Just wish maybe the other side was little bigger as I have had bit of confusion on who I was killing. Also no fan of the radar.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I've only played 5 matches or so, but:

Ugly/blurry mess
Choppy framerate issues sometimes
Death lag
Controls are nice, but the knee high walls I can't jump over are pretty irritating.

Was unable to get into an objective match, so that's just based on TDM.

Truespeed

I was just reading the DF article and was surprised they had to drop the resolution to 960x704 and then lather QAA on top of that. I was expecting a lot more from their latest iteration of the engine. Pretty disappointing from a technical perspective.

Fersis

alr1ghtstart said:
I've only played 5 matches or so, but:

Ugly/blurry mess
Choppy framerate issues sometimes
Death lag
Controls are nice, but the knee high walls I can't jump over are pretty irritating.
Was unable to get into an objective match, so that's just based on TDM.
This.
Raise the jump height a little bit plz!

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Truespeed said:
I was just reading the DF article and was surprised they had to drop the resolution to 960x704 and then lather QAA on top of that. I was expecting a lot more from their latest iteration of the engine. Pretty disappointing from a technical perspective.
Well you can't really judge it like that because on one hand they reduced the res a lot but on the other hand, they added a lot of crazy visual effects. Using QAA probably made the game even more blurry, so they really need to reduce the motion blur while running. It will look pretty good if they do that.

Also the running animation is kinda weird, as if you are taking baby steps.

Loudninja

Truespeed said:
Umm did you read the whole article?

Violater said:
Lolninja is more like it
:p
Oh come one we were outnumber! :p

Bollocks

Live Free or Die said:
Anyone else seem to die way too fast? I just get wasted every time. also it seems like people take a lot of bullets to die. I put a full clip into one dude with the bullseye and he didnt die. :/ maybe it just needs some balancing fixes or something.
That just sums up my experience so far :/
It takes ages to kill someone when in return I get killed instantly

Meisadragon said:
Well you can't really judge it like that because on one hand they reduced the res a lot but on the other hand, they added a lot of crazy visual effects. Using QAA probably made the game even more blurry, so they really need to reduce the motion blur while running. It will look pretty good if they do that.

Also the running animation is kinda weird, as if you are taking baby steps.

yeah the running animation is distracting.

Bollocks said:

Yep thats how it is for me. I had a little better round just before but the amount of bullets it takes to kill someone is pretty bad(for me at least). Its like it only takes two shots then I'm dead.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Bollocks said:

Hmm, I thought the hit detection was pretty good but I didn't get a lot of time to check it out properly.

I'm really happy to see how they're handling this beta. This should set them up to have a great patch for day one of the game's release, which is awesome.

I haven't been a huge fan of the multiplayer in the previous two games, but I have higher hopes for this one.

I'd love to get a code to try it out. ;)

I keep getting disconected :(

But when I can play I fucking love it. The weapons feel so good, and the gameplay seems pretty awesome. I'm a bit worried about campers though, I wish the auger wasn't a berserk. But I think I understand the logic behind that decision, the auger is overpowered by nature, to make it a standard weapon in R2 they had to massively nerf it and in the end the weapon wasn't really satisfying. But it's such a handy weapon to force campers to move around instead of staying in corners.

Kambing

Some quick impressions:

Good:

- The game is really fun to play! Kills feel satisfying.
- The UI looks really unique.
- Interesting array of weapons and skills. Makes the game feel fresh.
- Graphics detail is better than the first two games.

Bad:

- Despite the game having good graphics detail, it does not matter how improved the game is over resistance 1+2 if its TOO BLURRY. The image quality is atrocious! Granted i am playing 4 1/2 feet away on a 52 inch TV, but it seems like the game is running below 720p and is using quincix AA(?). Damn shame man, the game would look IMMENSELY better if it was not blurry.
- Tone down motion blur! With this maybe the game can be run at a higher resolution.
- LAG. Had quite a few cheap deaths due to it.
- Let me jump higher.

For now, that's all i have. Seriously though, drop some effects or reduce texture resolution! I would rather play a game that is not blurry and has less effects than to play a game that is blurry and has more effects. I mean right now, the blurriness distracts the art style.

V_Ben

Banned
Yeah, the game is pretty damn blurry and muddy. It never gets hard to see anything, it just looks thoroughly murky... An option to tone it down would be much appreciated.

Top Bottom